• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's creed Unity PC version System requirements

Papacheeks

Banned
I hate to say it, but you're definitely right. If you want the definitive version of a multiplat, with respect to resolution, frame rate and IQ, you get it on the console, period. And there certainly hasn't been a specific release within the last 2 weeks that would in any way directly contradict this narrative.

EDIT:Misunderstood, previous poster's intent

Oh, Crap my bad, I thought you were being condescending, because you wrote something very snarky before in another thread to me.

Extremely sorry, I apologize.

Yea, I guess I was looking for negativity from your response.

c0Zm1c

I guess it's going to be like 2005-2010 all over again. With port's coming over to PC that play like shit on current hardware.
I don't think one company with a track record for bad PC versions of games is a good indication of how things will be in the coming years for PC gaming. Especially now, coming straight after the really good PC versions of Shadow of Mordor and Alien Isolation, the former scaling beautifully on PC hardware and the latter running at max settings with a high framerate on very modest hardware.

spuckthew

Hopefully my trusty 680 Lightning can power through this. I feel dirty for admitting that this is one of my more anticipated games of the year (mostly due to disliking Black Flag's emphasis on sailing...i actually couldn't finish it in the end).

Yea, and I guess people like you don't read articles that come out by other publications other than Digital Foundry, that proves not everyone wants to go through unofficial fixes for little gain in games that are not optimized to begin with.

And only think PC is the only way to go for any game people play, when they own multiple platforms and have their own reasons why something more streamlines would be preferred. Regardless of the little gains they may get in a PC version.

I guess you didnt read that article either. Because said fix just allows to unlock framerate and fix the black bars. Can you do it on console ? No. So if you don't want to do it, you end up with the same game as on consoles... except the framerate is smoother since it wont drop below 30fps on a decent hardware... in fact, starting with an HD7870 or so, it wont drop below that at all.

Little gain ? If you don't take the fix into account... even The Evil Within has good gains. Cheaper price and more than that stable performances... and now with fixes, 2 times higher framerate and the option to remove black bars and fix FOV.

And for non English people... the possib8lity to use english audio without changing the console language.

Leb

Yea, and I guess people like you don't read articles that come out by other publications other than Digital Foundry, that proves not everyone wants to go through unofficial fixes for little gain in games that are not optimized to begin with.

And only think PC is the only way to go for any game people play, when they own multiple platforms and have their own reasons why something more streamlines would be preferred. Regardless of the little gains they may get in a PC version.

Err, I was agreeing with you, so I'm unclear as to what the point of contention is. I think it's generally accepted that the absolute bare-minimum acceptable framerate in this day and age is a locked 30 fps and so I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment that multiplats such as the one you referenced are best played on the consoles.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
So minimum is 680 and recommended is 780. That means as far as single GPU's are concerned, only 770,780,780ti, Titans and latest 970 and 980 are suitable for this game? Wtf

UrbanRats

I agree with you with the idea of cheaper prices on PC via steam sales and such. But remember when you upgrade your card especially say after 5 years it usually requires a upgrade of the whole machine to avoid bottleneck. Which rounds to around 1k dollars. And IMO thats a hefty price to pay.you wouldn't want to buy a 500 dollar card to have it bottlenecked. Granted that is only if you want play games at maximum settings.

That's only if you want to stay at max settings all the time.
I built this PC years ago and plan to keep it with this MoBo/Processor for, most likely, the whole console generation still.
Only upgrading GPU.

You won't be able to always keep everything maxed, but you will most likely still play better than on console.

I agree with you with the idea of cheaper prices on PC via steam sales and such. But remember when you upgrade your card especially say after 5 years it usually requires a upgrade of the whole machine to avoid bottleneck. Which rounds to around 1k dollars. And IMO thats a hefty price to pay.you wouldn't want to buy a 500 dollar card to have it bottlenecked. Granted that is only if you want play games at maximum settings.

1000 dollars for an upgrade ? Oh come on.

catmario

To play this game on PC, I should pay 1500 dollars to make completely NEW PC.

My PC is now too old to play this and upcoming fantastic PC games.

But I already pre-ordered PS4 Bastille de Paris edition..... :p

UrbanRats

Even building a new PC from scratch, you could most likely play this game on par (probably better than) with PS4 with 900/1000$.
Again, i wouldn't take those system specs seriously in the slightest, after the whole Shadow of Mordor/Evil Within debacle.

Lol. Now come on. A R9 290 can be found for 250€, a decent i5 is like 200€. With mobo and ram, that's like below 600€ for the recommended setting. With other components, that'd be like 750 to 800. Half of what you're saying.

Not only accounting the fact that people are just overreacting over these specs...

Even building a new PC from scratch, you could most likely play this game on par (probably better than) with PS4 with 900/1000$.
Again, i wouldn't take those system specs seriously in the slightest, after the whole Shadow of Mordor/Evil Within debacle.

For that price ? A lot better than PS4.

Oh, man. I can't believe this thread is still following the same narrative. It's not like we've had at least 2 other threads where the reqs were ridiculously high and turned out to be complete nonsense. If you're PC is half decent, it will run this game AT LEAST as well as the console, probably better. I have a 2500k OC'd at 4.0GHz and a GTX 980 and I'm still confident I will destroy this game. Everyone just needs to chill out and wait for god damn benchmarks.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So minimum is 680 and recommended is 780. That means as far as single GPU's are concerned, only 770,780,780ti, Titans and latest 970 and 980 are suitable for this game? Wtf

The 770 is a rebranded 680 with marginally better clock cores. There's no substantial different between the two cards. At most, a couple of frames, but nothing much. This makes the situation a lot crazier, since the 780 itself is really not that much more powerful than a 680. At least, there's no such a wide gap between them that would justify making them the recommended and minimum requirements, respectively.

jaosobno

1000 dollars for an upgrade ? Oh come on.

My last upgrade was ~$1200 (new case, motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM, PSU, optical drive) and it wasn't even what you could call powerful hardware (560 Ti, i5 2500 (non-K), 8 GB RAM, 500W PSU, average case, nothing fancy). European prices of hardware are much higher than US due to wildly popular trend of $1=€1.

The same upgrade would cost me probably around $900 if I lived in the USA.

These requirements are fucking crazy. Either Ubisoft wants people to play this on consoles or they never heard of process called optimization.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
While a lot of this can probavly be attributed to Ubisofts terrible PC ports, I agree with the people saying this a trend that will be happening for the next year or two, when the consoles are still new.

My plan is to hide behind my Xbox one/ps4 until PC hardware far superior to the consoles is affordable again. I will continue to play PC exclusive games of course, on my 7979/i5 3570k, but I might as well get some multiplatform use out of my consoles until the dust settles.

Jindrax

WTF 680 minimum??? Really Ubisoft??? REALLY????

How... what???? Seriously??

So my setup of a 660ti and a i5 4670k 8 gigs ram just got made useless?

Deepo

Put textures to high Problem solved

That solves the performance issues, (mostly, still some stuttering on high), but it puts the texture quality below that seen on console. I'd like to at least be able to have it look as good as on PS4 on my PC, but that doesn't seem to be possible atm with Watch Dogs. I'd lock it to 30FPS if that would solve it, but it stutters just as much then, regardless of the frame rate.

All I'm saying is that I hope Unity doesn't suffer from problems like that. Most bad optimization can be overcome by buying newer and more powerful hardware. Watch Dogs seems to have engine problems (texture streaming) that can't be fixed with faster hardware, and that irritates me to no end. Part of the fun in PC gaming for me is being able to go back an max out games, but that seems unlikely with Watch Dogs.

GrazGamer

That solves the performance issues, (mostly, still some stuttering on high), but it puts the texture quality below that seen on console. I'd like to at least be able to have it look as good as on PS4 on my PC, but that doesn't seem to be possible atm with Watch Dogs. I'd lock it to 30FPS if that would solve it, but it stutters just as much then, regardless of the frame rate.

All I'm saying is that I hope Unity doesn't suffer from problems like that. Most bad optimization can be overcome by buying newer and more powerful hardware. Watch Dogs seems to have engine problems (texture streaming) that can't be fixed with faster hardware, and that irritates me to no end. Part of the fun in PC gaming for me is being able to go back an max out games, but that seems unlikely with Watch Dogs.

Console textures are high not ultra,

Qassim

WTF 680 minimum??? Really Ubisoft??? REALLY????

How... what???? Seriously??

So my setup of a 660ti and a i5 4670k 8 gigs ram just got made useless?

Yes, your entire machine is now useless because of one out of the hundreds of games released on PC this year has these requirements.

GrazGamer

The 780 is probably only a requirement for the unoptimised nividia bullshit that gets bolted on before release.

Even on a 980 that physx smoke in Black Flag still cripples frame rate below 30 fps. Whereas the same effect in Arkham Origins doesn't drop below 60.

I played AC4 at 45-60 fps for the majority of the time on a 670 and COD Ghosts, which also recommended 780, played at 60 too. No physx fur though.

Qassim

More specifically I meant games being released over the last couple of months that have massive install sizes. Sacred 3, Risen 3: Titan Lords, Shadow of Mordor, The Evil Within, FFXIII, Alien: Isolation are all pretty damn big in comparison to games coming out this time last year.

..or maybe I'm crazy.

I think you are. It wasn't as many, but it was a clear trend, continually increasing install sizes for games. I'm just a little confused as to why it is surprising to anyone.

Setsuna

Its the price of playing on a PC with higher LOD values resolution etc etc

Deepo

Console textures are high not ultra,

they are actually a mix of high and ultra, and even on high the pc version still stutters

Yup, console definitely has some ultra textures at least.

PS4:

xf1BJBa.jpg

PC High:

10DUDQF.jpg

Sorry for derailing the thread, I'll stop now.

KidJr

This thread is ridiculous as it is predictable. If you match or exceed console-level hardware you'll be able to play at or above console-level settings, it's as simple as that.

In other news...

Evolve Alpha PC Specs:

http://evolvegame.com/news/pc-specs-for-evolves-big-alpha

One thing to bear in mind: These are NOT the final system specs for when the game launches. What you’re seeing here are the current minimum and recommended spec levels for the Big Alpha build of the game. There is still lots of optimizing to be done before Evolve ships in February.

Got to love that i7 920 still trucking, and it's not even overclocked.

Thats really not how it works... you wont get console level performance with console specs in a PC, I dont even know where you got that idea from.

Santar

Soemtimes I wonder if the publishers set artificially high system reqs on pc ports these days just to sell more of the console versions,

Qassim

Soemtimes I wonder if the publishers set artificially high system reqs on pc ports these days just to sell more of the console versions,

It'd be a poor way of achieving that. Better ways would be to either significantly delay the PC versions or not do them at all.

It would be a really needlessly convoluted and odd way to achieving this by.. advertising high system recommendations or requirements..

UnrealEck

Guess My PC will be for PC developed games for a while and my PS4 for Multiplats.

I hate to say it, but you're definitely right. If you want the definitive version of a multiplat, with respect to resolution, frame rate and IQ, you get it on the console, period. And there certainly hasn't been a specific release within the last 2 weeks that would in any way directly contradict this narrative.

Just off the top of my head and most recently:

Alien Isolation and Evil Within. Better on PC with respect to resolution, framerate and IQ.

Papacheeks

Banned
I guess you didnt read that article either. Because said fix just allows to unlock framerate and fix the black bars. Can you do it on console ? No. So if you don't want to do it, you end up with the same game as on consoles... except the framerate is smoother since it wont drop below 30fps on a decent hardware... in fact, starting with an HD7870 or so, it wont drop below that at all.

Little gain ? If you don't take the fix into account... even The Evil Within has good gains. Cheaper price and more than that stable performances... and now with fixes, 2 times higher framerate and the option to remove black bars and fix FOV.

And for non English people... the possib8lity to use english audio without changing the console language.

Yes I did, and without derailing the thread, I will just say the difference that even is expressed by Eurogamer is negligible in image quality. And if you have a really high end PC and want solid 60 fps, good luck. Because it's also noted in their article and in Patrick's that doing the fix removing the black bars and increasing FOV make the frame rates unstable in trying beyond 30.

UnrealEck

but it puts the texture quality below that seen on console. I'd like to at least be able to have it look as good as on PS4 on my PC, but that doesn't seem to be possible atm with Watch Dogs.
I haven't played WD in a while, but I recall there being more than just texture quality in the options. Was the PS4 maxed out in everything and using a mix of high and ultra textures? It's also running at 900p too on PS4 and capped at 30 FPS.

heyf00L

The consoles' biggest advantages are lower level APIs (less CPU overhead) and shared memory (less memory copying and memory use). But I wonder how much the CPU advantage is since PC CPUs are much faster.

But most PCs don't have nearly the VRAM as the consoles. According to Valve, somewhere around 30% of PCs have at least 2 GB VRAM. It's console designed games that are loading up many massive textures that are pushing up the PC VRAM requirements.

And personally I see that as a good thing. This will only push PC video cards to be better. The PC VRAM specs have already caught up on new cards.

Does any one know if this game was available to pre-order on the UK Steam store? I went onto Steam to see and it isn't there.

I am not entertaining buying this game; I had my fill of AC after Brotherhood and it would have to be very special to make me buy it.

Anyway, good old Ubisoft. Seemingly digging more-and-more holes every week.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yes I did, and without derailing the thread, I will just say the difference that even is expressed by Eurogamer is negligible in image quality. And if you have a really high end PC and want solid 60 fps, good luck. Because it's also noted in their article and in Patrick's that doing the fix removing the black bars and increasing FOV make the frame rates unstable in trying beyond 30.

The performance is bad on consoles.

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't think one company with a track record for bad PC versions of games is a good indication of how things will be in the coming years for PC gaming. Especially now, coming straight after the really good PC versions of Shadow of Mordor and Alien Isolation, the former scaling beautifully on PC hardware and the latter running at max settings with a high framerate on very modest hardware.

Shadows of Mordor plays well on PC, but doesn't make good use your hardware in advanced features compared to it's console counterparts. Textures don't look as good as other HD textures. Alien Isolation definitely though.

But hen you have Dead Rising 3, Ryse:Son of Rome and those though may play ok, don't show good use of Desktop GPU'S and CPU's.

And show how unoptimized they are for PC.

Ubisoft is known for shitty ports. Sucks that it's hit or miss with a lot of console ported games. Guess the days of dx 11 features for games like Bulletstorm, AVP, Tomb Raider, and sleeping dogs are over for a while till these companies get their shit together.

The performance is bad on consoles.

Yea it's pretty bad all around dude. On PC and console mainly because of the shit optimized engine IDTECH5. Same goes for AC:Unity.
TEW for PC is better than console version, but not by much. ANd doing the fixes gives you better visual experience, but upping FOV causes frame rates to be unstable past 30.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yea it's pretty bad all around dude. On PC and console mainly because of the shit optimized engine IDTECH5. Same goes for AC:Unity.
TEW for PC is better than console version, but not by much. ANd doing the fixes gives you better visual experience, but upping FOV causes frame rates to be unstable past 30.
I get locked 30fps without blackbars and increased FoV, I could even SS it, but I couldn't take the occasional drop to 28fps. Sure, locked 60fps would better, but stating that PC isn't better by much just isn't true. Is much better on a medium+ PC.

There are only two possible outcomes here. A, these requirements are bullcrap and this is another case of needlessly inflated system requirements. B, Ubisoft did really mess up the PC version that badly that it needs powerful hardware to run decently. We'll know soon enough, until then I suggest that people remain calm, avoid pre-ordering the game and refrain from making categorical statements about supposed console performance advantages and Carmack tweets.

Kezen

Banned
Shadows of Mordor plays well on PC, but doesn't make good use your hardware in advanced features compared to it's console counterparts. Textures don't look as good as other HD textures. Alien Isolation definitely though.
Well, for obvious reasons it's impossible for developpers to map their tech specifically for any PC like they can do on consoles. That said, I think the game makes good use of ressources, it looks good and runs very well. I don't demand developpers working on borrowed time to devote too many ressources to PC versions, exploiting all the niche hardware possibilities and extracting absolutely every drop of performance is not possible, but I definitely think PC GPUs and CPUs are well taken advantage of in most cases. Some games will always rely on brute force but nothing we can do about that.

I can't complain. We will see what happens with Unity, perhaps they simply didn't push the optimization process much further on PC, or the game is simply too ambitious to scale any lower than 680 class hardware...
That would be very strange considering it's a multiplatform game which development is most likely console centric.

c0Zm1c

Does any one know if this game was available to pre-order on the UK Steam store? I went onto Steam to see and it isn't there.
It was available for a while but then disappeared, along with The Crew. I expect both games will suddenly reappear a month or so after their respective releases.

Top Bottom