• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - Review Thread

Kaversmed

The Ubisoft Montreal studio is at walking distance from me. I wonder what is going on there at the moment.

718.gif

Karak

My List of stuff I noticed:

• Person Floating Over the City for at least 20 minutes
  • Crash on Xbox One
  • Person polishing shoes on a roof with no customer
  • Customer getting shoes polished without a person doing it or a chair(looked like a BJ)
  • Woman floating through walls
  • Arno leaped off a building flew upwards then shot out into the street like a howitzer(many times)
  • People change gender in crowds constantly

Jesus fucking Christ, how is this shit even getting 7's? That bullet point list alone would drop the game to a bare minimum of 5 for me. I don't like AssCreed so I'm obviously biased, mind, but a particularly broken and microtransaction-riddled AssCreed? Nightmare fuel.

I do like AssCreed, and I say that 5 would be an entirely justified score.

This thread has garnered almost the same number of pages in 30 minutes as the Dragon Age review thread has in 10 hours.

Probably because failure is more interesting than success, but go spend your time thinking of awesome games! Not bad ones!

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Can't wait to read the Digital Foundry analisys

While that's true technically, it's such an overused excuse for when sites fuck up. Preview was ridiculous? Sorry, someone else wrote it. I'm not saying we should t have our own opinions, but passing off horrible stuff through that is going to become the norm soon. I dunno if SSD deserved that score, but ACU doesn't. Most of the reviews (even where th rating is high) have been written as if the game sucks.

Opinions... how do they work?

Almost every game has someone who hates it and someone who loves it. That's why you either find a reviewer with similar tastes to you, or you look at the wider picture, instead of flipping out because one single site gave a game you like a lower score than a game you think doesn't deserve it.

Justin Davis said:
This is a $60 video game set in revolutionary Paris that continually spams you to sign up for Ubisoft services via locked-away in-game content. This is a $60 video game that paces out unlockables and upgrades at the exact speed that Ubisoft wanted, but then offers to sell you “time savers.”

I keep reading this paragraph over and over again and getting angrier each time.

Toki767

• Crash on Xbox One
  • Person Shinning Shoes on the Roof With No Customer
  • Customer Getting Shoes Shinned With No Chair(looked like a BJ)
  • Woman Floating Through Walls
  • Arno Leaped Off Building and flew Upwards then Shot out into the Street
  • People Change Gender in Crows constantly

Did you get a video of that?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Man do IGN and Gamespot ever give a score outside the 7-9 range?
Haven't people attacked Kevin van Ord more than once this year over scores that they thought are too low?

edit: I think it was for Legend of Korra (3) and Driveclub (5).

Einbroch

Banned
Pretty much expected. First game on the new consoles on a new engine. Would have been pleasantly surprised if it was great, but expected these middling scores.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

• Crash on Xbox One
  • Person polishing shoes on a roof with no customer
  • Customer getting shoes polished without a person doing it or a chair(looked like a BJ)
  • Woman floating through walls
  • Arno leaped off a building flew upwards then shot out into the street like a howitzer(many times)
  • People change gender in crowds constantly

• These are actually selling me on the game. Stop!

Mononoke

Banned
It's shameful that they shipped a game in that state. Should have had another month or so of optimisation.

Looking forward to seeing what Ubi has to say on this issue. I'm sure it will be horseshit.

Yeah agreed. I know I shouldn't keep bringing up my cancer (it's kind of tacky), because NO consumer deserves this kind of product for $60. But I'm still super emotional from everything. It's like, come on Ubisoft I just spent a year fighting cancer, all I wanted to do was celebrate beating it by playing your game. Goddamnit.

Oh well. As I said in my other post, I'm just super grateful that I get to live. And I played a lot of great games this past week (Horizon 2, Morodor, Sunset Overdrive, Bayonetta 2). So I really can't complain. And GAF really made Unity stuff a lot better with all the pictures and messing around.

EDIT: I guess the point I'm making is, people spend their hard earned cash on this. Gaming is entertainment, but it also means a lot to people when they get to play these. They want to enjoy it (whatever they have going on in their life). I just think these companies should be more proud of their games to not release it this way, and to also respect their consumers for what they are paying for. That's really what I'm saying. Regardless where a consumer is coming from when buying this game. It's not always just as simple as them being out $60. It feels shitty too.

Elios83

74 metacritic, seems like a rushed game with potential. The atmosphere and Paris have been praised by everyone at least.
After Watch Dogs and this Ubisoft should really reconsider their quality control.
Hopefully the game will continue to be patched quickly to make the experience better.

Raven77

I suggested waiting for a sale which i usually attribute to around half price. So probably not no.

Ahh okay, thanks for the suggestions. Also, yeah Gameinformer is plastered in AC Unity ads so no surprise at the score there.

Chris1

10000 NPC's yeah fuck that when your game runs at 10FPS. Idiots.

Yeah I don't get what Ubi were thinking. Cut the NPC count down a few hundred to get the frame rate stable, I mean when you're talking that amount of NPC's I doubt there is a massive difference between like 600-700 and 1000 NPCs.

Skyzard

Banned
How does the PC version run then? Most of the complaints seem to be technical issues, but that shouldn't be an issue on PC.

Of course companies never do separate reviews for a PC version.

I'm not taking my 780ti out for dinner for a month.

Reedirect

Well, this is pretty much a disaster. At least the snaps of all those bugs gave me a good laugh until I turn my attention towards Dragon Age next week.

Karak

Yeah I don't get what Ubi were thinking. Cut the NPC count down a few hundred to get the frame rate stable, I mean when you're talking that amount of NPC's I doubt there is a massive difference between like 600-700 and 1000 NPCs.

Frame rate is one thing but they entire crowd changes as you play. Gender, class, clothing, animations. Its like walking through a random character generator.

Top Bottom