• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - Review Thread

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Right, remember when everyone shat on Black Flag?

Oh, wait...

What exactly are you responding to? On the last page you have someone jumping in here saying the reviews are warranted because of the annual nature UBI has decided to do with AC going forward. What exactly does that have to do with Unity?

Webhead

Banned
Are you kidding me Ubisoft? My wife never plays games and thinks most of them are kind of dumb. She actually asked me to buy this for her after watching the Clueless Gamer because she likes Paris and enjoyed watching me play IV.

Sorry wife, the one time you actually want to play a game...it's crap. Thanks a lot Ubisoft. Stop letting the suits make decisions for creatives and devs.

Ushay

I'll leave this on my hard drive until they fix the technical issues. What the hell is Ubisoft thinking with these rushed releases. Having a lot of manpower doesn't equal quality.

Oh well I have Sunset Overdrive and Dragon Age to look forward to.

Duxxy3

I have my copy in my locker. 90 more minutes till I can form my opinion.

It's not opened? I'd return it.

I'll leave this on my hard drive until they fix the technical issues. What the hell is Ubisoft thinking with these rushed releases. Having a lot of manpower doesn't equal quality.

Oh well I have Sunset Overdrive and Dragon Age to look forward to.

Ubisoft is not known to fix broken games.

Foffy

Banned
My List of stuff I noticed:

• Person Floating Over the City for at least 20 minutes
  • Crash on Xbox One
  • Person polishing shoes on a roof with no customer
  • Customer getting shoes polished without a person doing it or a chair(looked like a BJ)
  • Woman floating through walls
  • Arno leaped off a building flew upwards then shot out into the street like a howitzer(many times)
    [*]People change gender in crowds constantly

Keeping women as women is hard.

Jesus, shit like that shouldn't even deserve to score a 7.

If we start to allow this where will it end?

If this was some smaller-named IP, these scores would easily be in the 4's and 5's.

Imagine for example if a Way of the Samurai game had all of these issues. No fucking way it'd get anywhere near a 7. People are falling for the IP to infer quality here, I think.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Ok.

huYDJC2.jpg

U8zh6Pp.jpg

c967tKu.jpg

SU6Jj9r.jpg

FzFdvYt.jpg

Not sure the point you're trying to make, I haven't even seen a glitch yet in the game let alone one like this.

Don't you mean constant FPS drops?

It's not constant but there are strange areas and events, it's mostly smooth.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The only reason to look forward to Ubi PR these days is to enjoy the grindhouse horror of a trainwreck it never fails to be.

Yes. I guess there is some enjoyment in that.

It's companies like Ubi that is killing my desire for next gen games. ASU is a good case in point. A game with 1000's of NPCs for no good reason but to fill a marketing check box even though it's a poor fit for the architecture due to the fact that you need a really good CPU for that task and next gen consoles have weak CPUs.

A very poor application for the hardware.

glaurung

Yeah I don't get what Ubi were thinking. Cut the NPC count down a few hundred to get the frame rate stable, I mean when you're talking that amount of NPC's I doubt there is a massive difference between like 600-700 and 1000 NPCs.
At this rate I feel like there was a totally incompetent producer behind this idea. Someone who touted "we will have 5,000 NPCs or we will have no game" kind of bullshit.

And a horde of developers toiled, day and night, but still ended up short.

Seriously Ubi, WTF.

blackflag

"It's a good time to be an Assassin's Creed fan. I just wish my console could run it properly."

Yeah that's it video game reviewer....it's your consoles fault...SMH

Jobbs

Banned
This is a $60 video game set in revolutionary Paris that continually spams you to sign up for Ubisoft services via locked-away in-game content. This is a $60 video game that paces out unlockables and upgrades at the exact speed that Ubisoft wanted, but then offers to sell you “time savers.”

yikes. okay, any thought I entertained of buying this has vanished. I still haven't played black flag, maybe I'd sooner just do that instead if I wanted to get my climby murdery fix.

FTF

My List of stuff I noticed:

• Person Floating Over the City for at least 20 minutes
  • Crash on Xbox One
  • Person polishing shoes on a roof with no customer
  • Customer getting shoes polished without a person doing it or a chair(looked like a BJ)
  • Woman floating through walls
  • Arno leaped off a building flew upwards then shot out into the street like a howitzer(many times)
  • People change gender in crowds constantly

lol my goodness

LeBart

People continue to care way too much about review scores.

Sounds like an underwhelming game that you will either like for its depiction of revolutionary Paris, or hate for everything else. Everyone knows which side they're on, it's not worth the meltdown...

Consensus seems to be split. I've seen a lot of guys on GAF praising the game, technical issues aside, but some of the reviews are negative. But don't worry guys, in a week we'll have Far Cry 4 and we can forget about all this nonsense. There's no way that'll be bad.

conman

It's shameful that they shipped a game in that state. Should have had another month or so of optimisation.

Looking forward to seeing what Ubi has to say on this issue. I'm sure it will be horseshit.
From the scale of issues being reported, another month wouldn't fix this. If they only needed a month, they probably would have taken it.

IMO the real shame is that people buy this crap sight unseen, and take Ubi's PR machine at its word. Games wouldn't be shoved out the door in this state so often if people weren't so eager to buy them.

ryseing

No one received review copies, they literally just got their copies today, so it'll take a day or two at least for reviews to come out. Funny thing is, so far I've heard mostly positives on it.

Yep. By all accounts Rogue is the better of the two. Ubi's probably embarrassed that their last gen cash in is better then their hyped next gen exclusive.

yikes. okay, any thought I entertained of buying this has vanished. I still haven't played black flag, maybe I'd sooner just do that instead if I wanted to get my climby murdery fix.

Do it. BF is the best game in the series.

qirex

I think the most important thing to keep an eye on is if they're going to make a good faith effort to actually fix it. Because AAA game buying is so front loaded and this is a holiday release Ubi could easily just do nothing except release DLC later and wash their hands of it. If they care about the long term health of the franchise they need to buckle down for a couple months and get on it, though.

Mononoke

Banned
Maybe the game had too many female characters to animate for the developers to make a good game

Was just too much for them to handle. If they would have done female characters, this would have been at 15 FPS. Everyone should be grateful it gets to 20 FPS. The sacrifices made.

Top Bottom