• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins's Creed PS4 is now 1080p with AA.

Oppo

I thought if you left your system in standby it will DL on its own?

It will eventually. But if you launch the game before the regularly scheduled check, what I wrote before seems to apply. At least I think. I've only had the PS4 for a day :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's basically like Vita, which is not optimal. But I think they got a lot of complaints from players who thought they were 'locked out' of a game until they get the patch (part of PS3 wording).

It will download the patch as soon as you launch the game, but it will let you continue to play the offline portions without applying the patch. So you need to manually close the game (hold PS button) and then run the patch from Notifications. It's not ideal, it should prompt you and ask if you'd rather just quit and apply the patch right now, but that's how it works currently.

if it has downloaded the update, and you quit the game - does the patch not automatically apply itself the next time you launch the game? Thats what the Vita does. You shouldn't have to go into notifications and set it installing.

I have to wait for my PS4 until next week, but is resolution the only difference, it looks like a different AA technique, the 900p look like poor old QAA (blurs everything), the new 1080p looks like a much better AA technique..

Could be the resolution, it seems odd to gain so much obvious detail for a relatively small increase in actual pixel count..

Any chance of some actual 1:1 full size images?

it's more resolution and better AA. the Xbox One version will be getting the better AA too, presumably in a day one patch.

Raydeen

Hint to any developer. Rendering at a native 1080p almost negates the need for AA.

Hint to Ubi: Now get your finger out at get the XB1 version to at least 900p you lazy cunts.

Oppo

Yes I hate ps4 so much I hate it I hate it I think it sucks and the ui sucks and that's all that matters and ps4 I am the harbinger of your destruction with my seamless movies and tv tv tv sports tv hate hate rage

I knew it. J'accuse!

mrklaw said:
if it has downloaded the update, and you quit the game - does the patch not automatically apply itself the next time you launch the game? Thats what the Vita does. You shouldn't have to go into notifications and set it installing.

Oh - maybe. I was possibly jumping the gun. I forced it via Notifications.

th4tguy

It's basically like Vita, which is not optimal. But I think they got a lot of complaints from players who thought they were 'locked out' of a game until they get the patch (part of PS3 wording).

It will download the patch as soon as you launch the game, but it will let you continue to play the offline portions without applying the patch. So you need to manually close the game (hold PS button) and then run the patch from Notifications. It's not ideal, it should prompt you and ask if you'd rather just quit and apply the patch right now, but that's how it works currently.

I really thought games were supposed to be updated automatically without you ever having to worry about it. That is disappointing.

So, it's out? It's not out? It IS OUT?

I don't get the % bar comment and is the anti-aliasing upgrade in as well?

I'm getting too old for the internet... sigh...

Curufinwe

My 40 inch 1080p Samsung from 2009 has a Screen Fit mode that I use for gaming, as well as a separate Game Mode that turns of some of the processing. I think it's pretty common.

Did you buy and play the game when it came lot on other systems? If not you're being a tiny bit hypocritical in mocking those of us that waited a mere 3 extra days to play it.

People too impatient to wait 3 days to play the game at it's best. What a joke.

I'm impressed Ubisoft's "shortly" was only three days.

I was expecting weeks or months.

Hint to any developer. Rendering at a native 1080p almost negates the need for AA.

Hint to Ubi: Now get your finger out at get the XB1 version to at least 900p you lazy cunts.

H7OdL.gif

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

you do not have to manually run the patch FYI. With the patch now downloaded, the next time you go to run the game the patch will automatically be applied.

I've downloaded... umm.. a dozen things on my PS4 so far and have never clicked "install" once.

The strange thing is I didn't see the patch download when I turned on my ps4 so it might have got it in standby. Creed wasn't even in the tray. It's possible it downloaded super quickly when I turned on the ps4 and didn't notice but I'm not sure.

it will ALWAYS tell you it downloaded something, even if it did it in standby. Go to notifications->downloads and it will show you everything. You can also click on all updates and (if provided by the developer) get a list of changes in the update.

Oppo

you do not have to manually run the patch FYI. With the patch now downloaded, the next time you go to run the game the patch will automatically be applied.

I've downloaded... umm.. a dozen things on my PS4 so far and have never clicked "install" once.

Ok well there you go. Again I've only had it for a day. :)

Y2Kev, I got your joke. Chin up there little buddy.

Mifune

Mehmber
I have to wait for my PS4 until next week, but is resolution the only difference, it looks like a different AA technique, the 900p look like poor old QAA (blurs everything), the new 1080p looks like a much better AA technique..

Could be the resolution, it seems odd to gain so much obvious detail for a relatively small increase in actual pixel count..

Any chance of some actual 1:1 full size images?

Good point. I was surprised at the jump in detail from 900 to 1080, wasn't expecting the difference to be so drastic. Maybe the AA has more to do with it than the resolution.

Rootbeer

Banned
patch downloaded immediately after waking my PS4 from standby about 30 mins ago. dunno why some aren't seeing it, maybe you got it and just don't know? ps4 is fairly silent about this sort of thing.

you can select AC4 from your PS4 home bar and press "Options" then select History to see the changelog. It should see 1.02. If not...? Well, you can try restarting your PS4 and hope it downloads I guess.

Anyway it's fairly beautiful (I already thought it looked great at 900p, but more pretty is very welcomed), can't wait for some more in-depth PS4/XBO/PC comparisions. PC will win, sure, but I want to see just how much of a gain it has.

Daingurse

Meh, FXAA or a similar post processing AA is enough at 1080p, when I play games on my 46'' TV from about 9ft away IMO. 1080p alone is almost enough from a reasonable viewing distance though, I'd agree. Typical monitor viewing distance however, is simply too close for no AA.

RedAssedApe

Banned

For the games I've seen updates for, when launching the game its popped up with some message about an update that needs to install and that network functionality not working if you don't install the update. You aren't required to do it though.

Yeah... This thread title... Whatever the joke, it's going clear over my head.

Anyway, glad the patch is out. Happy to get back to playing.

The strange thing is I didn't see the patch download when I turned on my ps4 so it might have got it in standby. Creed wasn't even in the tray. It's possible it downloaded super quickly when I turned on the ps4 and didn't notice but I'm not sure.

downloading and installing happen in standby. the notifications happen when you turn the system on. I told my PS4 to download warframe while it was in standby. half an hour or so later I turned it on and got 'downloading' then 'installing' then 'updating' notifications rapid fire one after another.

Alexastor

Pretty obvious to me.

Agreed. From sitting 30cm in front of your desktop or laptop monitor.

But sitting 1-2 meters from your TV? Not so much. (Only that picture that is, I believe it will be noticeable on actual 3d elements with possible aliasing on them, the pic barely shows anything other than textures).

borghe

I mentioned it above but I'll mention it here also, downloads during standby (auto downloads) will still show up on the system.

Notifications->Downloads

Everything still shows up there even if auto downloaded. You can also click on any updates and, if provided by the developer, it will give you the devs update notes/fixes/changes for that update.

If your system is on when the update finishes downloading, it will install the update automatically the next time you launch the game. If the system is in standby, it will install the update automatically during standby (in which case the game won't give an indication that it was updated except for in Notifications->Downloads)

edit - and I still am missing the joke. Just like download progress bars?

Violater

My 40 inch 1080p Samsung from 2009 has a Screen Fit mode that I use for gaming, as well as a separate Game Mode that turns of some of the processing. I think it's pretty common.

I'm impressed Ubisoft's "shortly" was only three days.

I was expecting weeks or months.

Go buy BF 4 if you like waiting for fixes.

Jomjom

Banned
I'm pretty surprised that there's such a noticeable difference between 900p and 1080p. Add to that they shots that were posted had the Facebook compression.

Yes I hate ps4 so much I hate it I hate it I think it sucks and the ui sucks and that's all that matters and ps4 I am the harbinger of your destruction with my seamless movies and tv tv tv sports tv hate hate rage
HA!

I finally got you to own up to it.

borghe

Man this game is pretty. And it's a blast to play. 1080p is icing on the cake.

it is honestly my favorite launch title by a ways so far. Of course Need For Speed will be here tomorrow.. but yeah, ACIV is awesome (and beautiful). Wish Ubi would actually just make a straight up pirate game with the same engine. It could honestly be the RDR of pirate games.

I'll pay attention to this game now that it's actually finished.

For someone who didn't like AC1, barely touched AC2, and ignored the rest of the franchise, how would this hold up for a series newcomer? Has it dropped a lot of story baggage from the previous games?

Gaz_RB

it is honestly my favorite launch title by a ways so far. Of course Need For Speed will be here tomorrow.. but yeah, ACIV is awesome (and beautiful). Wish Ubi would actually just make a straight up pirate game with the same engine. It could honestly be the RDR of pirate games.

I think it is. Granted, pirate games haven't exactly set a high bar. KZ and BF let me down at launch, so I think ACIV is my favorite launch title too.

Top Bottom