• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa coming to consoles in 2016

Doubt that I will buy it a second time just to lose community tracks but good for them. I prefer it to Project Cars, which I have on the PS4.

AC has less cars that I give a shit about but the game is not centered around competition like Project Cars. I love driving but have never given a shit about racing and the AC devs at least understand that people like me exist.

PCars won't even save your personal practice times. They are so concerned with standard setups and being on equal footing with assholes that I will never care about.

"Gee, thanks for letting me know that some dude drove this car on this track in this time. I obviously care about that, seeing as I have never gone online or played time trials."

I have been playing sims for a long time and it is the first one that I have ever seen have such a limited scope. I am glad that AC is going to be a successful alternative. Can't wait for more non-super cars. Or at least another prototype.

but its already 45 euros on steam, or 50 euros if you purchase combo with nurburgring (dlc#1, otherwise priced 15 euros on its own)
and that price is digital again, and on a platform that is considered cheaper to game on than current consoles.
so even by comparing to pc price, its not expensive.

I can very easily see a dlc#2 and a dlc#3 coming and bundled all together for console retail.

performance on console, and how they'll be able to spruce up the game for the average non-sim player is what will count more for sales imo.

Firstly, there's no denying that expectations and wants are different between PC and console. Console gamers by and large are looking for more "game", and more game means more content. The price may be the same, but expectations for what you get for your money are different.

Second, as far as we know, there won't be any mods on the console versions, and that is a big chuck of value to most people. Car and track numbers become bottomless.

Performance, and getting it spruced up will be important too. No doubt!

It's 10 track locations now, but seeing as the console releases are seemingly going to get at least some DLC content packed in like the Dream Pack, laserscanned versions Catalunya, Zandvoort and Brands Hatch are all in the pipeline for future release and there are likely others that are also being planned that could see the light of day by next year.

It won't ever rival pCARS in terms of numbers, but it makes up for that in sheer quality.

waters10

Neo Member
Please have Morpheus support.
This is great on PC with dk2!

The one thing I hope they improve significantly is the AI. It's just not very good as of now. Disclaimer: I haven't played the last 2 months.

This game has the best feel of all racing games for me. It just feels great how you lose the rear and how you can recover. I love the force feedback as well. I don't know if any of this is more or less realistic compared to other games, but if just feels great to me!

bj00rn_

Banned
10 circuits. :/

Project Cars has 32.
Gran Turismo 6 has 40.

Assetto Corsa has more tracks than both - Via modded tracks.. I believe it's one of the most mod-supported new racing games out there at the moment (2500+). And that's a shame for console-only owners, because the game is indeed a little barren without. It's amazing in VR btw.

RP912

Banned
That's good to know. The game is a good racing sim on the pc, I just hope they fix up the AI because it's going to be pretty much a hot lapping type of game to console owners :/.

Mascot

Never really understood the fuss about laser-scanned tracks - it's not like 99.9% of players will ever know the difference.

I mean, it's a nice tickbox and everything, but a deal-breaker? Not for me. Not unless the handmade circuits are wildly inaccurate.

I dunno, maybe laser-scanning tracks actually works out cheaper than modelling from scratch?

p3tran

Banned
thats a false statement, especially when you pair that with the above statement "Gran Turismo 6 has 40 tracks.", it then turns too ultra-false :)

polyphony is of course of the best studios to make car games, but their procedure as far as I know does not include laser scanned data clouds.
they capture with lots of hi-def cameras.

last thing i personally know about what they use, is what we learned when they were scanning Bathurst for Gt6.

now, if you have any solid information about what you say, I'd be happy to learn.
but buthurst on gt6, it was captured by use of canon eos 5d

and that in sequence makes every other track that is older than bathurst in gran turismo series, to have been created with even or less means.

Even the ring in Forza 5 seems to have small inaccuracies, though of course it's lightyears better than the abomination in previous games.
k

terrible

Banned
Console racing fans are getting pretty spoiled this gen. Assetto Corsa is fantastic, even with a controller. I'll double dip.

Yiazmat

thats a false statement, especially when you pair that with the above statement "Gran Turismo 6 has 40 tracks.", it then turns too ultra-false :)

polyphony is of course of the best studios to make car games, but their procedure as far as I know does not include laser scanned data clouds.

last thing i personally know about what they use, is what we learned when they were scanning Bathurst for Gt6.

now, if you have any solid information about what you say, I'd be happy to learn.

and that in sequence makes every other track that is older than bathurst in gran turismo series, to have been created with even or less means.
Did you watch the video I just posted? lol

And it's not like they can scan the fictional tracks, so of course not all of them will be laser scanned.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's a great feeling sim, but I haven't tried it with a controller on PC and I'm hoping they can figure out a way to smooth the controls to fit gamepads better.

Also, there's a lot of cars I don't recognize a few of the cars (F1 and was that a Glickenhaus?) in the teaser, I'm guessing those are coming in future DLC packs for the PC?
It plays better with a controller than Project Cars does.....

But there are still some cars that are just a bitch without a wheel. Those who have one are in for a treat. It is far away the best feeling racing sim I've played(though I've heard rFactor 2 rivals it), and is a truly special beast with a decent FFB wheel.

It also has the most GLORIOUS version of the Nordschleife by far. I mean, you cant watch a vide of it and tell. The track feels so alive, it's properly magical.

I hope this does well, but I feel like the lack of mod content will hold it back. That's a huge draw for the PC version.

And yes, 2013 Ferrari F1(forget the proper name)! Yay.

ShamePain

Banned

k

So much wrong with this post.

anddo0

Nice! I can't wait.

I bought into the early access, and this game is well worth it.

I'm glad to hear there won't be a compromise on physics.. AC deliverers the best surface physics I've ever experienced in a racing game. It feels like you're driving a life real car, the tire to pavement interaction is truly something, the feel of every bump and divot in the road, gravel has it's distinct feel. Kunos also nailed it in the sound department.

I'm fairly confident the game will have more tracks added, by the time it's released on console the PC version should be up to Dream Car pack 3+.. I think PC dlc should come free in the box for console owners, though I suspect that may be asking a bit much.

LilJoka

Never really understood the fuss about laser-scanned tracks - it's not like 99.9% of players will ever know the difference.

I mean, it's a nice tickbox and everything, but a deal-breaker? Not for me. Not unless the handmade circuits are wildly inaccurate.

I dunno, maybe laser-scanning tracks actually works out cheaper than modelling from scratch?

I find going from laser scanned Mugello to Forza's/PCars version hugely different.
Obviously some tracks fair better than others, for example PCars Imola is an abomination compared to AC. Really anything with elevation changes and cambered corners suffers a lot without laser scanning. But take the Nurb GP, its pretty good in PCars and Forza.

But i guess you need a side by side or one after the other comparison, most wont care. But its a sim, they want to make it a sim, and thats their USP.

AngerdX

Damn seems i´ll have to get this too, but on pc, since pcars released i got raceroom, iracing and dirt rally and now this, my poor wheel will melt, now i just wish i could find a set of fanatecs csr elite pedals, that loadcell braking is just yummy.

What are the main differences between this game and Project Cars?

I always thought they seemed very similar, but I haven't played Assetto Corsa.
Assetto Corsa has the coveted (expensive) Ferrari licence, but that is less significant on console as both Forza and GT have it too.

AC is very good at road cars, again something pretty notable on PC but less so on console, as Forza and GT also have strong road car offerings.

Hard to describe the more subtle differences without writing an essay, but basically AC is more about driving pleasure, whereas PCARS is more about atmosphere. (They both offer these things, but the focus is different.)

Azzawon

Lol, you don't scan a track with cameras, they capture reference photos for textures/surroundings, the road surface is captured either with a laserscanner or a gps transmitter.

I know. Those scanners are damn expensive so it could be quite feasible that they used geometric data rather than their own scanning hardware.

LilJoka

Allright, thanks !! Sim-wise, is one more "hardcore" (for a lack of better word) than the other?

AC is slightly more hardcore as a package, there are less bells and whistles thats for sure. Some cars are more difficult to control in AC, some feel much like PCars. I think the main difference is subtleties that add up across the board.

On PC there are dedicated servers, lots and lots of them, on PCars is P2P.
AC FFB tends to be more favourable for most people over PCars, it doesnt have 99 sliders, these sliders PCars presents have been tuned per car in the background by the devs in conjunction with the Car Manufacturers.
A lot of cars in AC are very true to their paper specs, entering the information into the sim gives close to reality results with minimal fudging (take the PCars 70page document of fudging to get cars to feel like real life).
The Career is bare and the AI lifeless today, so thats something they need to work on. The Multiplayer server browser needs work, such as filtering by driving aids. The server setup needs work, its tedious to setup your own server.

And one of the biggest issues with AC in multiplayer, the system was based on a 'booking' system, one where you had to reserve a spot before the session began. Modding this into a non-booking system means that car numbers need allocating, if you want a 5player race, you can only have 5 cars, the game needs to know what cars these are before the session begins. So you may have 1 Ferrari, and 4 BMWs, if 1 person picks a Ferrari, the others cant pick a Ferrari eventhough there are 4 open player slots, except that there are only 4 BMWs available and only 1 Ferrari. This is pretty annoying.

The reason for all this was to eliminate join lag, where a server is in qualifying, loading in a random new car can cause racers to experience some lag or stutter as their PCs load in the new persons car, and could ruin their lap.

The game is fairly polished though, it doesnt have lists and lists of game breaking bugs, what is in the game does work properly.

Bloody hell! Is this gen of consoles the Sim Racing generation? GT7, pCARS, Forza 6 and AC?!?!? Good times keep on rollin!

Fox Mulder

Great news, more racing is great.

Already been good this gen with forza 5, horizon 2, and pcars. Still getting f1 2015 and forza 6 this year too.

LilJoka

image_assetto_corsa-28436-2851_0005.jpg

JP

Well, that's really good news. Although it wasn't bad I have to admit that Project Cars really didn't reach the heights I was hoping it would reach and everything I've read about this made it seem like the better of the two titles for me.

Really happy to be getting this. :)

EDIT:
Having said that, I still have a LOT of Project Cars to play before this is released.

Not all laser scans are created equal. In any case, it's what the artists do with the scan and how the raw data is converted into something usable that counts.

TheMan

As long as it fucking works with controllers out of the box, I'm down. Pcars fucked this up big time.

p3tran

Banned
For those doubting that GT6 tracks are laser-scanned, here you can actually see the devs scanning the track (Ascari):

https://youtu.be/BSyG1hQKAPk?t=21m15s

I saw a Canon Eos 5d in the hands of someone. ;)

One guy takes pictures for reference and textures while the laser scanner does its work. Two birds with one stone on the chopper.

so unless I'm missing something here, you guys are saying that the helicopter is ...laser scanning the ...road?
because it looks like its getting general reference of track there.
and yes, instead of huge laser scanning equipment, there was a guy with hd cameras on board that chopper.

I thought that pro laser scanners provide their best accuracy on a 10m-20m basis.
does anybody here have enough experience with professional laser scanning to tell us if the suggested way to laser scan a racetrack surface/elevation/etc is by ...helicopter?

Great to see some real options in this genre now, both in the console and PC space. Crazy how different the game is for Polyphony when GT7 releases. I really and honestly think it's going to massively attenuate its impact.

Anyways, don't want to shit up the thread with GT7 talk - just remarkable how different the sim market is now compared to 5 years ago.

Hot damn are we on a Racing Sim renaissance? I've enjoyed the few hours I've played on PC. With a wheel this game is incredible. Hopefully they can create a full game though. Without mods there's not much to the game on PC.

so unless I'm missing something here, you guys are saying that the helicopter is ...laser scanning the ...road?
and yes, instead of huge laser scanning equipment, there was a guy with hd cameras on board that chopper.

I thought that pro laser scanners provide their best accuracy on a 10m-20m basis.
does anybody here have enough experience with professional laser scanning to tell us if the suggested way to laser scan a racetrack surface/elevation/etc is by ...helicopter?
It's not the conventional method, but it seems possible to have a helicopter-mounted lidar system. I reckon they'd scan on the ground and only use the helicopter to take aerial photos. It looks like the helicopter is providing scanned data due to the way the video has been cut together... but maybe it really is! :eek:

Aerial laser scans are known (informally in the sim world at least) as LIDAR scans. Ground-based scanning like iRacing/AC/Forza have done is also LIDAR, but for whatever reason they are called laser scans. However, there are some differences in the tech, and there are some differences in the quality of the scan for sim purposes at least. Which makes sense considering you're playing from the point of view on the ground. That's what you'd want.

My amateur opinion is that the aerial scans are cheaper and are better served for very large areas.

EDIT: Beat

p3tran

Banned
It's not the conventional method, but it seems possible to have a helicopter-mounted lidar system. I reckon they'd scan on the ground and only use the helicopter to take aerial photos. It looks like the helicopter is providing scanned data due to the way the video has been cut together... but maybe it really is! :eek:

that would be fine for providing the spot where a tree is, but not so much to the "sub millimeter accuracy of racetrack" that we usually associate laser scanning with.

anyway, the original comment was " GT has 40 tracks, and they are laser scanned too".
clearly thats a false statement as I said.

my most wanted game on my ps4 is the next gt, and I sure hope that everything is greatly enhanced for the new machine.
but I'm not gonna agree that gt5/6 courses are equal or even able to be compared to laser scanned tracks like the ones big takeover mentions (iracing/ac/f5)

p3tran

Banned
WOAH, wasn't expecting this. This is an awesome announcement.

why? kunos wants in on some of dat console money too.
in my opinion, they deserve it more than many others.
they just have to spruce it up a bit (say in the next 10 months and release may), and they are golden.

Yiazmat

Holy shit at this level of denial.

If you had watched the video, you would have seen that they have SICK laser scanners on one of their cars:

car1swpkg.jpg

Top Bottom