• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa (Console) |OT| Kunos tries to console us.

TEH-CJ

Banned
This game is fucking amazing, but why is there no R34 GTR?? give me option to have either r33 or R34. More imports please!

Physics are so real it puts project cars to shame. Incredible.

nasanu

Banned
Yes it is related to studio size and investment.
No it's not meant to make up for the game's faults, but In video games, especially racing games, more money, resources, and first party studio backing typically equals higher production values/a more polished product.

Do we treat GTS more harshly? Hell yes! If they have 10 times the development budget and number of people as resources to work on their product as a small studio and they release it with frame rates all over the place, mediocre graphics, and constant tearing, you're damn right people will judge it harshly.

Do you really expect a small studio with limited budget, time, and resources to produce the best graphics, physics, and have more cars and tracks than some of the AAA developers?

That's not excusing the performance issues at all but let's be realistic in expectations.

Then this should be reflected in price. What you wrote is exactly my point really. This saved huge amounts in development at the direct expense of gamers and kept the savings to themselves. How do you defend saying "let's be realistic in expectations" when they are asking triple A retail prices? I expect to get what I pay for. If I pay an indie game price then I expect an indie game. If I pay assetto corsa money then I expect hundreds of cars, 30+ tracks and everything polished.

Jamesways

Good point Karak.

Also to add to what you said, average gamers may avoid this entirely. Well known brands sell on name alone. GT and Forza will always be more popular even with casual racing fans.

God I love these niche titles.

I love "bad" racing games in general though, so my opinion is to be taken with a grain of salt.
Race Pro, pCARS, NFS Shift, TD: Ferrari Racing Legends, Ride, Milestone's MotoGP and SBK games, WRC5, PGR3, even Real Racing 3... Good stuff.

Edit- but it's not the price of a AAA game. NA PSN store t's ten bucks cheaper, other places I've heard are selling it for 20 bucks cheaper. But yeah I see your point. It should be priced cheaper.

Double edit-
This game is fucking amazing

That's what I've been hoping to hear.

How do you defend saying "let's be realistic in expectations" when they are asking triple A retail prices? I expect to get what I pay for. If I pay an indie game price then I expect an indie game. If I pay assetto corsa money then I expect hundreds of cars, 30+ tracks and everything polished.

Except they are not asking for triple AAA prices, No Man's Sky is more expensive than this game. And I have to say that I laughed at the bolded, that's like expecting a 16 hour campaign out of every first person shooter, plus horde mode, co-op for the entire campaign.

Is NFS Shift a bad racing game though? Maybe handling wise, but even now I know that SMS really put a lot of love and care not only into the car list but also in terms of tracks and things you could do.

If it wasn't for SHIFT 2 Unleashed's failure we wouldn't have gotten the sort of mini renaissance we have with sim racing currently.

Jamesways, I also massively disagree with your assumption PGR 3 is a bad racing game :p

LostDonkey

Good lord, if ever there was a game where "Reviewers just don't get it", this is it.

Comparing it to Forza and GT and then marking it down because it doesn't do things they do, wtf.

Zeth

It really is more simulator than "game". The content of the "career" is practically an afterthought compared to the core vehicle simulation. You have to be aware you will be getting none of the polished up presentation niceties of modern racing games. On PC I've put in over 1k hours, the majority hotlapping. If you temper your expectations and know what you're getting into, I think it's super cool that it's even available on console.

Karak

It really is more simulator than "game". The content of the "career" is practically an afterthought compared to the core vehicle simulation. You have to be aware you will be getting none of the polished up presentation niceties of modern racing games. On PC I've put in over 1k hours, the majority hotlapping. If you temper your expectations and know what you're getting into, I think it's super cool that it's even available on console.

Events are fantastic though but ya

Good point Karak.

Also to add to what you said, average gamers may avoid this entirely. Well known brands sell on name alone. GT and Forza will always be more popular even with casual racing fans.

Yep its convoluted as hell when you think about it.

And really in the end I wish that the supposed one title that adds some of this stuff didn't come racing onto the consoles looking like shit and sadly the FPS totally impacts the simulation as well. I just don't feel like celebrating this thing to be honest.

danowat

Banned
If someone who has got the game can cross reference the ot track and car list with what's in the vanilla release I'd be grateful, I am hearing there are some omissions.

vanty

This game is fucking amazing, but why is there no R34 GTR?? give me option to have either r33 or R34. More imports please!

There's an R34 GT-R in the Japanese Pack DLC that came out a few months ago on PC. It's the cheapest pack since it has no track. However, it only has a stock R34 for some reason while the RX-7 and Supra get tuner versions as well as stock even though the most famous tuner car in the world is an R34... ;(

Solal

Got the game on PS4 yesterday and played a bit...

What a disappointment... the framerate is really -i mean REALLY - all over the place. Not only does it suffer from enormous screen tearing but the games stutters a lot too.

This is by far the worst framerate I ve seen in a car game since a long long time. GT6 looks butter smooth compared to this (and yes: GT6 framerate is shit as hell)

I am sooooo annoyed at 505 and Kunos right now. This is so bad it's even disrepectful for players imo. A shame really.
And the graphics go from "average" to "ridiculously bad" (the mirror can look like an Amiga 500 screenshot sometimes)

And the replays looks like stuttering shit.

I can't even imagine how the game was like before the delay...

A shame really as the driving and the sounds are just marvellous.. this game deserved so much better than that Kunos. 505 studios, shame on you.

Karak

What a disappointment... the framerate is really -i mean REALLY - all over the place. Not only does it suffer from enormous screen tearing but the games stutters a lot too.

This is by far the worst framerate I ve seen in a car game since a long long time. GT6 looks butter smooth compared to this (and yes: GT6 framerate is shit as hell)

I am sooooo annoyed at 505 and Kunos right now. This is so bad it's even disrepectful for players imo. A shame really.
And the graphics go from "average" to "ridiculously bad" (the mirror can look like an Amiga 500 screenshot sometimes)

A shame really as the driving and the sounds are just marvellous.. this game deserved so much better than that Kunos. 505 studios, shame on you.

Ya the framerate is odd. Its either coming down from 60 or going up to it at all times. It almost never feels like its actually resting at 60:(

That's really disappointing, I have zero interest in buying GTS and I was hoping this one would fill the gap.

I hope they fix this.

Ardenyal

Good lord, if ever there was a game where "Reviewers just don't get it", this is it.

Comparing it to Forza and GT and then marking it down because it doesn't do things they do, wtf.

People want more than just hot lapping and multiplayer from a racing game.

Unknown?

Do we treat GTS more harshly? Hell yes! If they have 10 times the development budget and number of people as resources to work on their product as a small studio and they release it with frame rates all over the place, mediocre graphics, and constant tearing, you're damn right people will judge it harshly.

Do you really expect a small studio with limited budget, time, and resources to produce the best graphics, physics, and have more cars and tracks than some of the AAA developers?

I do when it's hailed as one of the top simulators on PC I darn sure expect it to be good. Other than performance(which will likely be patched) it does look darn good! But so did Project Cars and I wasn't a fan. So many games coming soon this is a hard decision.

The point I was making is making fun of the people who only pick on GT. It's always the stupidest shit that gets blown up into something big. Like trees or pidgins that are blocky. Whereas any other game they wouldn't care in the slightest. It's actually refreshing coming into a simulation discussion and not hearing the massive amounts of bullshit.

LilJoka

People want more than just hot lapping and multiplayer from a racing game.

When were there any expectations set that this game would provide that though? It's the same game that's been on PC for years, nothing's changed. It is what it is. It's not a game, and it misses many simulation type features. The game is easier to use with a pad than Pcars but still awful. All of this can be found out from PC users. The only good thing is the driving. It's unfortunate they didn't drop the graphics for a solid 60fps on console.

This game is literally a hot lap/mp game. The AI have got better, but nothing amazing.

Remember a separate team built the console port from the PC dev team.

Mascot

WHO DO I BELIEVE?

nasanu

Banned
So do we have it in stone that GTS won't be getting a season pass / dlc?

It probably will but it won't be content that was created well before release and held back just to be sold as DLC. But it's hardly the point when GTS will have much more content period. Plus online, plus night racing just about everything AC would have if they spent more money developing it.

nasanu

Banned
When were there any expectations set that this game would provide that though?

Right when they set the price. You can't just get away with releasing anything you like just because you're a "small team". That crap needs to stop and devs need to be pulled up for it.

danowat

Banned
A couple of points.

1) This and KSP (and to a lesser extent PCars) shows me that PC ports are more work than most devs think, personally, I think that the console manufacturers either need to open up, or at least relax, their submission restrictions for patches, at least with the PC developers can push patches out quickly, we are STILL waiting for a patch for KSP.

2) There is big problem with development time constraints, I don't know what it is, but it's happening more and more, maybe the publishers are pushing the developer, maybe the games development is just way more expensive than they (people) realise and they just need to recoup some money, but there are way, way too many console games getting pushed out in a very poor state.

Here is a decent look at what players should expect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5wC0A1ALU4

Obviously the game has some issues that shouldn't be in a [whatever] priced release, but I can't see anything in that video that would push me to find the game unplayable.

That guys voice gives me the heeby jebbies

LilJoka

Right when they set the price. You can't just get away with releasing anything you like just because you're a "small team". That crap needs to stop and devs need to be pulled up for it.

I haven't been following that closely, but doesn't this include a bunch of DLC too?

The VVV video is really interesting. The console trailers show content that isn't included in the final game.

Is this a new trend in this industry? To advertise features and contents that don't ship with the final product?

Had high hopes for the console version and was really looking forward to play it on PS4, but I won't be able to enjoy AC with the framerate and tearing issues. Those issues seem pretty big from the vids I've watched. Will 505 be able to sort this out or is that just wishful thinking?

meppi

Sheesh, that Pushsquare review and the fallout from it sure is something.

We're at the point where one of the staff stated the following:
So to all those complaing that we should review this game with a wheel, that's fine. As soon as you complainers either provide Push Square with one or the money for one.

What is going on with them and their "sister site" as of late? It's turning into a freaking clown show. :-/

danowat

Banned
The VVV video is really interesting. The console trailers show content that isn't included in the final game.

Is this a new trend in this industry? To advertise features and contents that don't ship with the final product?

See No Man's Sky.

It's a shitty practice.

I've heard there is other missing content, which is apparently returning in a free update.

Solal

Is Kunos in charge of the support for this? Because TeamVVV keeps saying that kunos is going to release patches and support the game... Maybe it s just a mistake on their part? Or do they know for a fact that Kunos is involved in the support?

LilJoka

Is Kunos in charge of the support for this? Because TeamVVV keeps saying that kunos is going to release patches and support the game... Maybe it s just a mistake on their part? Or do they know for a fact that Kunos is involved in the support?

There is a separate team working in the console port within Kunos.
505 is just a publisher.

LilJoka

Well I change my mind, the game is good with a pad, I just hadn't played for a long while, but tried today with my X1 pad and it drives really really good.

danowat

Banned
Good news for XBO owners.

Assetto Corsa - Hi guys! We are aware of an issue with the FPS on Xbox One and our development team have been working hard to fix it. Expect an update early next week!

Source - AC Facebook page

Mascot

They are only publisher. KUNOS team develped everything and is in charge for patches, DLC, etc.

Oof - so Kunos had complete control over what was finally released. There's no way to say this without sounding disingenuous, but is this their first stab at console development? They can't be happy with the current performance issues. Let's hope for plenty of patches, a la SMS.

Edit: see above. Good.

Now what about those PS4 issues..?

Solal

I posted a comment about the framerate on their FB page...I hope people will come and be vocal about this shit.

danowat

Banned
I posted a comment about the framerate on their FB page...I hope people will come and be vocal about this shit.

Some really helpful comments on there.........

If you're worried about framerate, get the PC version

sheesh.....

The facebook page is literally a wall of people complaining about the games performance.

Mascot

What's this feud between Kunos and SMS that I keep hearing about? Apparently this tweet was a response to digs from Kunos or something..?

https://twitter.com/projectcarsgame/status/768458053607915520

CqocfSHWgAAMAFa.jpg

Top Bottom