• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa (Console) |OT| Kunos tries to console us.

Lima

Anyone that played Project Cars with a controller can compare it to this? Is it just as terrible?

Controller handling is the most important thing to get right because that's what the majority of your customer base is going to use.

danowat

Banned
What's this feud between Kunos and SMS that I keep hearing about? Apparently this tweet was a response to digs from Kunos or something..?

https://twitter.com/projectcarsgame/status/768458053607915520

CqocfSHWgAAMAFa.jpg

a) That picture is seriously scary

and

b) People in glass houses................

LilJoka

Video I just took with an X1 pad with the Formula Abarth at Mugello:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4rf_AMYq2Y
I did a 1.52.xxx, within 2 laps and on mediums.

Leaderboard:
http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php?page=rank&track=5&car=18&rank_type=all&tyre_type=all&controller_type=all&community=all&friends=all

We can see this guy with a 360 pad went from a 1.52.xxx down to a 1.47.7xx
http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php?page=laptime_improvement&trackId=5&carId=18&driverId=9662

World record is a 1.46.xxx
Average around 1.48.xxx

Anyone that played Project Cars with a controller can compare it to this? Is it just as terrible?

Controller handling is the most important thing to get right because that's what the majority of your customer base is going to use.

Lot better imo.
I did a comparison a long time back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOnylsUT1_c

Mascot

Because the release of PCars on console went really well to start with didn't it.

Yeah, I'm not sure what this feud with Kunos is all about. It was alluded to on the official pCARS forums but I don't visit there much anymore after having some critical posts deleted by militant mods.

danowat

Banned
Yeah, I'm not sure what this feud with Kunos is all about. It was alluded to on the official pCARS forums but I don't visit there much anymore after having some critical posts deleted by militant mods.

I stopped going there a while ago, that place is properly toxic.

Bell is just a big head, it doesn't surprise me to see him taking a jab at Kunos.

Mascot

terrible

Banned
Video I just took with an X1 pad with the Formula Abarth at Mugello:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4rf_AMYq2Y
I did a 1.52.xxx, within 2 laps and on mediums.

Leaderboard:
http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php?page=rank&track=5&car=18&rank_type=all&tyre_type=all&controller_type=all&community=all&friends=all

We can see this guy with a 360 pad went from a 1.52.xxx down to a 1.47.7xx
http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php?page=laptime_improvement&trackId=5&carId=18&driverId=9662

World record is a 1.46.xxx
Average around 1.48.xxx

Lot better imo.
I did a comparison a long time back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOnylsUT1_c

Do the rumble triggers work? That's one thing that'd probably really help when using a controller. I love them when playing Forza 6, it's almost like mini FFB telling you when you're starting to lose grip.

paskowitz

I'm going to need some consoling:

I can already confirm that the CSW will not be compatible with PS4 on any new games. This is part of the Agreement with Sony and enables us to get a license for PS4. There will probably be a dedicated CSL Elite base for PS4 but I cannot confirm anything until the contracts are signed.

We are not making those rules

Sony, why you do this?

And finally a word to the PlayStation situation. We know that a lot of people want to know what the status is but we cannot announce anything before the contract is signed. We have a good relationship with Sony but we need to follow the rules and although there are absolutely no points of disagreement, sometimes things takes a while because of procedures and work flows. I am confident that we can announce a PS4 Version of this Wheel base soon.

So if you want a Fanatec wheel on the PS4, you will likely have to buy an entirely new wheel base and wheel.

Again, this pretty much cements the fact that if you want to enjoy sim racing, you are better off making the PC your home. Forza MS # is coming to the PC. So basically you are only missing out on GT Sport, which is has a lot prove to make it worth a $500+ investment.

And people wonder why sim racing doesn't succeed (outside of GT and its marketing budget) on consoles.

Again, this pretty much cements the fact that if you want to enjoy sim racing, you are better off making the PC your home. Forza MS # is coming to the PC. So basically you are only missing out on GT Sport, which is has a lot prove to make it worth a $500+ investment.

Wait till they force SMS to patch the support out (pshhhhht, maybe they haven't even noticed that pCARS has that, right? Or was that just a workaround? I think I knew this at some point already :/ )

LilJoka

Just from the steering wheel acceleration and degree of rotation, I'd say AC definitely does look better with a pad than pCARS. Thanks for the video.

Yeah, its much easier to be consistent.

I did a few more laps with the Formula Abarth and got to a 1.49.xxx, pretty respectable with just a pad.

That was softs and 6L of fuel. There is another 1sec on the table if I can string together all my sectors.

It probably will but it won't be content that was created well before release and held back just to be sold as DLC. But it's hardly the point when GTS will have much more content period. Plus online, plus night racing just about everything AC would have if they spent more money developing it.

And Gran Turismo Sport won't have dynamic weather or time, plus not even close to the content previous GT games had period. If only they spent more money developing it.

cooldawn

Got this yesterday and yes, it has tech issues but, honestly, the driving experience dominates. The physics model has the confidence to be thrilling, challenging and playful. It absolutely commands authority.

I spent last night taking an Alfa Romeo 4C - all assists off except Factory Setting for ABS - on Practise runs on all the circuits and it's so much fun. Everywhere. I know people probably jumped to higher-tier Superscars and GT cars but the 4C never failed to amuse in Assetto Corsa, thanks to the physics model.

I also raced the 4C at Catalunya in a field of same Class Alien AI opposition and, to be fair, if you think ahead and position your car in the right place you'll get away with a couple of light BTCC style shunts that don't ever disrupt your racing style. The whole race was safe in that regard. Alien AI are really fast so that's going to be an ongoing challenge. I didn't understand why the AI got stuck behind each other, though, when there is plenty of room to overtake with a good start.

Circuit variety is really strong. Along with the traditional blockbusters, Spa, Silverstone and Catalunya, there's a re-introduction of Vallelunga, Zandvoort and Mugello. Endearing circuits usually overlooked by the big-hitters are a perfect match for Assetto Corsa's physics model. I mean we are talking about returning circuits from some past greats like Ferrari Challenge, Race Pro and Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends. Why do the bigger developers shy away from such great tracks? We need them all in one great package.

However, I'm really, really chuffed to say this version of the Nordschleife is absolutely brilliant. Not since Gran Turismo have I been so impressed with the way this legendary track has been realised in a racing game. A perfect marriage of this circuit and this physics model makes it feel alive. I had a tonne of fun in the 4C around there last night.

Thank you KUNOS Simulation.

DualShock 4 controls seems to be fine out-of-the-box. I didn't need to adjust anything but I imagine I'll need to make some adjustments for higher class cars that may be more sensitive to my inputs. With the 4C though, it was absolutely fine.

However, not being able to customise controls at all is really annoying. Believe it or not I shaved off more time and won more online races in Project CARS using D-Pad, face and shoulder buttons so this is a step back for me. Yes, changing gears using L & R buttons is much more intuitive, but whatever, I've got used to it somewhat already. Some customisation would be nice, though.

I use bonnet-cam in Project CARS but I seem to be anything up to a second quicker using forward cockpit cam, the one without the steering wheel visible. That's a nice surprise I expect enhances immersion somewhat too.

The visuals are functional; a little disappointing and not what I expect on a PS4. The sound is good though, except the menu music which seems to come out of a single random speaker every time I'm selecting what to do next.

And yeah, the replays are naff. Visual shortcomings are highlighted by dodger camerawork and an unrealistic sound mix. Yuk.

Generally there needs to be a tonne of polish before this is a full release, something clearly evident in it's performance. Post-patch the frame-rate isn't stable but manageable but the tearing can be a little distracting. I've never seen it this bad in a racing game before but it is what it is and I just got on with it. I hope coming updates solidify the experience and emphasise it's true potential to players that can't work around it.

Jamesways

cooldawn said:
However, I'm really, really chuffed to say this version of the Nordschleife is absolutely brilliant. Not since Gran Turismo have I been so impressed with the way this legendary track has been realised in a racing game. A perfect marriage of this circuit and this physics model makes it feel alive. I had a tonne of fun in the 4C around there last night.

Thank you KUNOS Simulation.

DualShock 4 controls seems to be fine out-of-the-box. I didn't need to adjust anything but I imagine I'll need to make some adjustments for higher class cars that may be more sensitive to my inputs. With the 4C though, it was absolutely fine.

However, not being able to customise controls at all is really annoying. Believe it or not I shaved off more time and won more online races in Project CARS using D-Pad, face and shoulder buttons so this is a step back for me. Yes, changing gears using L & R buttons is much more intuitive, but whatever, I've got used to it somewhat already. Some customisation would be nice, though.
Wait you can't change your buttons around? No shift up and down using the face buttons?

That sucks!

I don't know if it's ok to ask this here but... is there any racing game where you can drive a Renault 12 Break??

Aside from Alpine A110 and Renault 5 Turbo, it's hard to find ANY old Renaults even in games like GT6 with (officially) over 1200 cars.

The closest thing that I've ever driven in a racing game is probably the Peugeot 504 mod for PC Assetto Corsa (one of the very few car mods that is actually really damn good).

Wait you can't change your buttons around? No shift up and down using the face buttons?

That sucks!
WOW, that's some REAL shit! WTF, Kunos. Only way I can drive with a pad is triggers for gas and X+B for gearshifts, that way you can even use A for clutching.

So the unchangeable default setup has gas on the right stick then, where you can't brake and rev-up at the same time?!?

I'm going to need some consoling:

Sony, why you do this?

So if you want a Fanatec wheel on the PS4, you will likely have to buy an entirely new wheel base and wheel.

And people wonder why sim racing doesn't succeed (outside of GT and its marketing budget) on consoles.

Yep, there´s no reason to go console. I´ll buy GT Sport because i already have a PS4, but Pcars and AC are miles and miles better on PC. I have a G25 and it works fine for me. No reason to upgrade whatsoever. Console makers seem to be destined to make racing sims fail on their plataforms.

Jamesways

Aside from Alpine A110 and Renault 5 Turbo, it's hard to find ANY old Renaults even in games like GT6 with (officially) over 1200 cars.

The closest thing that I've ever driven in a racing game is probably the Peugeot 504 mod for PC Assetto Corsa (one of the very few car mods that is actually really damn good).

WOW, that's some REAL shit! WTF, Kunos. Only way I can drive with a pad is triggers for gas and X+B for gearshifts, that way you can even use A for clutching.

So the unchangeable default setup has gas on the right stick then, where you can't brake and rev-up at the same time?!?
Just going by the reports here. I pray the gas isn't on the stick. I use x and b to shift like you do. Like most do I think. Never got on with shifting with bumpers in games.

danowat

Banned
OK after 2 hours of tweaking some PS4 controller settings.

Steering sensitivity 10%
Steering speed 0%
Steering deadzone 5%
Steering filter 30%
Steering gamma 200%

As for the rest of the game, what a mixed bag, some tracks look great (Barcelona for example) others look a bit dull, car models look fairly good.

Not noticed any framedrops yet, noticed the track map is running at about 15fps though.

Sounds I am not a huge fan off, while they are visceral they have a synthetic feel to them which breaks immersion a little.

Physics shine though, outside of the really good tyre physics there is a lot of other stuff going on under the hood, first game I've played where you can actually feel the aero model increasing downforce as you get faster, take the Alfa 155 down a straight and you can feel the aero package forcing the car into the track.

All in all, after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about the game, I am pleasantly surprised.

Jamesways

Steering sensitivity 10%
Steering speed 0%
Steering deadzone 5%
Steering filter 30%
Steering gamma 200%

As for the rest of the game, what a mixed bag, some tracks look great (Barcelona for example) others look a bit dull, car models look fairly good.

Not noticed any framedrops yet, noticed the track map is running at about 15fps though.

Sounds I am not a huge fan off, while they are visceral they have a synthetic feel to them which breaks immersion a little.

Physics shine though, outside of the really good tyre physics there is a lot of other stuff going on under the hood, first game I've played where you can actually feel the aero model increasing downforce as you get faster.

All in all, after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about the game, I am pleasantly surprised.
Is the gas on right trigger? Shift on bumpers?
I can't believe you can't change the setup.

danowat

Banned
Is the gas on right trigger? Shift on bumpers?
I can't believe you can't change the setup.
Throttle & brake on triggers shifting on X and Square.

You can customise the setup (damn LS3 horn!) but there are some preset profiles.

I also think a lot of settings from the PC version are missing in the console versions.

LilJoka

Steering sensitivity 10%
Steering speed 0%
Steering deadzone 5%
Steering filter 30%
Steering gamma 200%

Physics shine though, outside of the really good tyre physics there is a lot of other stuff going on under the hood, first game I've played where you can actually feel the aero model increasing downforce as you get faster, take the Alfa 155 down a straight and you can feel the aero package forcing the car into the track.

Heres what I use on PC with an X1 pad, its pretty much stock except gamma (default is 2).

STEER_THUMB=LEFT
STEER_GAMMA=3.5
STEER_FILTER=0.75
SPEED_SENSITIVITY=0.2
STEER_DEADZONE=0.22
STEER_SPEED=0.2

fbutron

Just going by the reports here. I pray the gas isn't on the stick. I use x and b to shift like you do. Like most do I think. Never got on with shifting with bumpers in games.

Well good thing that on PS4 yoy can edit in the OS the button configuration

Jamesways

IIRC, on PS4:
Gas are on R2. Brakes on L2.
Shift up on x
Shift down on square

Throttle & brake on triggers shifting on X and Square.

You can customise the setup (damn LS3 horn!) but there are some preset profiles.

I also think a lot of settings from the PC version are missing in the console versions.
Perfect!

Cooldawn dig in those menus deeper, you can change buttons.

Also Why would need a horn button?

danowat

Banned
Heres what I use on PC with an X1 pad, its pretty much stock except gamma (default is 2).

STEER_THUMB=LEFT
STEER_GAMMA=3.5
STEER_FILTER=0.75
SPEED_SENSITIVITY=0.2
STEER_DEADZONE=0.22
STEER_SPEED=0.2

The settings are different on consoles.

Also Why would need a horn button?

To sound the horn ;-)

Edit : also one thing worth pointing out, some cars really suffer badly with understeer if you apply too much steering in a corner, so if you're struggling with understeer reduce the amount of stick you are using to steer around a corner.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I love this game except for the ds4 default settings. Everything is a bit bare bones, there's not even a button to reset settings back to default.

Race cars don't use horns!
Horns but no "flash lights", it kept popping up until Stefano implemented it. I think he mostly was annoyed because they planned on having lights that actually work as a light source and then add night racing.

In other news, the console UI doesn't seem to come to PC. I think I'm gonna write a list with questions for you guys about how stuff works and is accessed in the console version.If we work out the differences we can bug Kunos with what is needed on console. Like FOV not lower than 50(wtf?), what kind of joke is that? No FOV options at all would have been less of a fuck you in my opinion.

danowat

Banned
Horns but no "flash lights", it kept popping up until Stefano implemented it. I think he mostly was annoyed because they planned on having lights that actually work as a light source and then add night racing.

In other news, the console UI doesn't seem to come to PC. I think I'm gonna write a list with questions for you guys about how stuff works and is accessed in the console version.If we work out the differences we can bug Kunos with what is needed on console. Like FOV not lower than 50(wtf?), what kind of joke is that? No FOV options at all would have been less of a fuck you in my opinion.
PC guys are lucky they arent getting the console UI, it's barebones as fuck!

farmerboy

So it looks like my friend and I will be returning the game :-(

I'd be relying on him to race with but he is bitterly disappointed with it as he also has the pc version and can't see himself playing ps4 over pc. And seriously, you can't even make a lobby? Did I hear right?

In the past I would have persevered (hell, pCARS really burnt all the patience I had) but I haven't the time to waste time while the devs get their shit together.

I'll be back when it's right though, really want to get to grips with what many see as the best driving model. And I do really want to experience that.

Top Bottom