• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least 8 dead in ‘mass casualty event’ at Travis Scott Astroworld concert

caffeware

Banned
At least eight people died and scores more were injured when chaos, including a crowd crush, broke out during opening night of rapper Travis Scott’s Astroworld music festival in Texas Friday, authorities said.

A mass of concertgoers at Houston’s NRG Park “began to compress” to the front of the stage at around 9:15 p.m., causing mayhem and some people to get hurt, Houston Fire Chief Samuel Peña told reporters early Saturday.

40430488_10155396841050738_6916843933112729600_o.jpg

1636186317522.jpg

astroworld-festival-mayhem-635.jpg

Last edited:

Ribi

Sad times. At first I assumed it was weapon related just then found out It was just Travis fans getting riled up. Things like this happen. It sucks.

On another personal note: Travis reps the city but he never even made a mixtape with anyone from the city. Went off to LA instead and then made it big. He ain't a Houston rapper as far as I'm concerned

Ionian

I remember the steel barriers, planted in concrete at a venue here. Looked like ones from a car park. Girl got killed from a crush against it at a Smashing Pumpkins gig of all things. As far as I remember the band kept asking the crowd to stop and when that happened, stopped the gig. I wasn't at it but was in the news.

They removed the barriers and eventually rebuilt the venue into an arena. Poor girl, what a way to go. I've been up front there at the time for other gigs and did get crushed by people pushing forward but so close to the stage nobody can hear you when you think you're in trouble. Tragic way to go.

Tams

We can be a really stupid fucking species sometimes.

Crowds can be completely different beasts. For all the heroic and immensely empathetic actions that do take place by individuals (at great risk to themselves), far, far, far more people just look out for themselves and run. You can literally see this in the videos of people pushing and then running off when they get free. Sure, a lot of people do need to get free, but some need to help and many of those who fled don't seem to have even bothered to look back,

And people really do put too much value in CPR. Sure, it can keep someone alive until proper medical help arrives, but if you're at the stage of doing CPR things have already gone very, very badly. If some needs CPR their chances are already low; if they are black and blue then it's they're even worse.

Last edited:

Ionian

This is actually before the concert. Security was weak.

Fucking hell, that's even worse. The poor people killed. For a fucking rapper. Every time I see his name I think it's a country singer as well. I've never listened to his music.

Kev Kev

There’s a lot of mixed reports coming all over from this, but one thing is clear, something really fucking stupid happened over there.

Wtf man, people died? At a fucking concert? Are you kidding me? People were going there to have a good time and see a fun show, probably payed lots of money and took off time from work and their lives and everything, and they come to your show and die… or get nearly trampled to death? Wow…

Like I said, there’s a lot of mixed reports, so we should let the dust settle a bit before grabbing pitch forks, but man this does not look good.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
This happened at the show itself or around it?

I've been to hundreds of Metal shows and even the ones where we were 'tightly packed' sort of speak were still manageable. Fuck I mean, we have walls of death, circle pits and people jumping into the crowd from the stage and we've never been in danger.

How the fuck did this happen?

Tams

This happened at the show itself or around it?

I've been to hundreds of Metal shows and even the ones where we were 'tightly packed' sort of speak were still manageable. Fuck I mean, we have walls of death, circle pits and people jumping into the crowd from the stage and we've never been in danger.

How the fuck did this happen?

Metal concert-goers have quite a long history of being in such situations. There's an etiquette that's been established over the years and enough veteran concert-goers go to keep things in order. Plus, people who like metal are also more likely to be the types to enforce said etiquette. You couldn't pull a lot of the shit that went down here in a metal crowd. You'd get your arse handed to you.

Metal had similar issues to some degree at first, but the etiquette built up is older than modern rap as a genre of music is.

Last edited:

Ionian

Metal concert-goers have quite a long history of being in such situations. There's an etiquette that's been established over the years and enough veteran concert-goers go to keep things in order. Plus, people who like metal are also more likely to be the types to enforce said etiquette. You couldn't pull a lot of the shit that went down here off in a metal crowed. You'd get your arse handed to you.

Metal had similar issues to some degree at first, but the etiquette built up is older than modern rap as a genre of music is.

I remember seeing Korn during the first album, some fat fucker was wailing about randomly in the mosh-pit and smacked me in the face and chipped a tooth. Think I smacked him back and that was it. Mosh pits were crazy but if you fell or got injured people gather around and protect you and anyone acting the cunt is warded off or in a bad case dealt it.

Metal fans are awesome people. The big metal bars here stink of piss, nearly slip on the floors but if someone picks a fight it's not tolerated in the slighest and strangers will break it up and all is good. Very close-knit community from I saw growing up. Havn't been to one in years though. A best was a Faith No More tribute band in Prague, (headbanging with a shaved head) confused them but they upped their game then. Brilliant gig, think I was 1 of 5 people there.

Last edited:
I remember seeing Korn during the first album, some fat fucker was wailing about randomly in the mosh-pit and smacked me in the face and chipped a tooth. Think I smacked him back and that was it. Mosh pits were crazy but if you fell or got injured people gather around and protect you and anyone acting the cunt is warded off or in a bad case dealt it.

Metal fans are awesome people. The big metal bars here stink of piss, nearly slip on the floors but if someone picks a fight it's not tolerated in the slighest and strangers will break it up and all is good. Very close-knit community from I saw growing up. Havn't been to one in years though. A best was a Faith No More tribute band in Prague, (headbanging with a shaved head) confused them but they upped their game then. Brilliant gig, think I was 1 of 5 people there.
I remember back in 2003 at Ozzfest some drunk asshole was throwing fists and elbows in the pit. Myself, and about 8 other people knocked him over, picked him up, and ejected him from the mosh pit like a Looney Tunes stunt.

Ionian

The year + of no events has eroded the institutional knowledge of what is necessary to safely manage them, the organizaUsualtions are probably sucking wind on good staff like everyone else, and attendees for sure have a lot of pent up energy.

My best mate worked for one of the largest promoters here. Got me a position as a side job.

Gaffer handed me a harness and said put it on, thought it was odd. Told me I had to climb the back-of-house to remove lights. Did it but nearly shit myself, he even dismissed me as he saw me shaking doing it (Removing a heavy flood light). I thought it would just be wheeling amps about and tieing up cables. I'm no stranger to scaffolding but this was with safety clamps for the climb as it was so tall, only security it had for me to not fall to certain death.

Never had a fear of heights but I think a prior visit to a funfair with a vertical drop put the fear of God in me. Still hate them, visiting the tallest tower in Dusseldorf had me sweating as the top floor was made of glass. It's irrational but bloody hell, sure ain't nice once you get the fear.

Metal concert-goers have quite a long history of being in such situations. There's an etiquette that's been established over the years and enough veteran concert-goers go to keep things in order. Plus, people who like metal are also more likely to be the types to enforce said etiquette. You couldn't pull a lot of the shit that went down here in a metal crowd. You'd get your arse handed to you.

This is literally the difference. Travis Scott fans are a lot more likely to have never even been to a concert and have zero rules or understanding of what is happening.

Any metal concert is full of people who have stage dived and pitted for 20 years and know the rules. You always pick people up and if someone's out of control they will get shut down.

Sadly I think the biggest reason this happened is lots of poor concert etiquette from people who just had no clue what a concert is like.

Narasumas

WTF am I reading this morning??? This is absolutely crazy and tragic at the same time. Really saddens me the state of humanity and the seeing the psychological “crowd effect” at play here. Wow. Need to get more facts, bc I’m still a bit confused.

Ionian

I no longer go to shows. Too much of a hassle and it isn’t really worth. Artists have become too greedy and try to pack as much people as possible, offer poor quality food drinks and do not care much about fans security.

Could argue that's on the promoters especially if he hadn't taken the stage yet as somebody mentioned.

Vagswarm

The bigger question is what asshole CONTINUES his show while people in his crowd are literally dead? Class act.
He stopped the show after he noticed the ambulance was there. It looks he didn't even know what was going on or why they were there, and was concerned / confused. Watch the first video on CNN,

Video shows Travis Scott on stage as emergency vehicle approaches at Astroworld Festival

Last edited:

Ionian

I remember the steel barriers, planted in concrete at a venue here. Looked like ones from a car park. Girl got killed from a crush against it at a Smashing Pumpkins gig of all things. As far as I remember the band kept asking the crowd to stop and when that happened, stopped the gig. I wasn't at it but was in the news.

They removed the barriers and eventually rebuilt the venue into an arena. Poor girl, what a way to go. I've been up front there at the time for other gigs and did get crushed by people pushing forward but so close to the stage nobody can hear you when you think you're in trouble. Tragic way to go.

Jesus, link was posted on Era from the gig I mentioned here. Had never heard it. I never liked Billy Corgan but mass respect for him here. So saddening.

I only heard about it on the news. Was the 'Melancholy And The Infinte Sadness' tour from what I remember.

EDIT: link to article;

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Every concert I have ever been to where something happened in the crowd the act on stage will stop the show and immediately try to get the crowd to stop as well. They also tell people to move aside for medics or police. Every time. From the smallest local venue to the biggest name on the card at a huge event.

How the hell did these chucklefucks keep singing and dancing on stage while they can see a literal emergency vehicle driving through the crowd?

I hope the families of the dead and injured sue everyone involved into the ground.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Every concert I have ever been to where something happened in the crowd the act on stage will stop the show and immediately try to get the crowd to stop as well. They also tell people to move aside for medics or police. Every time. From the smallest local venue to the biggest name on the card at a huge event.

How the hell did these chucklefucks keep singing and dancing on stage while they can see a literal emergency vehicle driving through the crowd?

I hope the families of the dead and injured sue everyone involved into the ground.
He did stop the show once he noticed it. Look at the video I posted two above yours.

Fbh

RIP to the victims, sad way to go.

In these scenarios many people turn into animals, and it seems like the whole thing was badly organized and lacking security.

Fucking hell, that is scary as fuck. People trampling each other in a mass frenzy to escape. Heartbreaking shit.

That's not even people running for their lives.
It's people completely disregarding and trampling on each other to get a better spot at the concert. Imagine how it was once things really got crazy

poodaddy

Bullshit like this is why I only go to metal shows. I absolutely refuse to even consider going to another type of show. You're never safer and more loved than when you're getting thrown by slam dancers through a mosh pit. We take care of each other in the pit, and if someone's fucking around, we eject their asses with extreme prejudice.

That's brilliant, always wanted to go to an Ozzfest. Bit old now for the mosh-pit but look at Ozzy. :D
God, don't I know it. At 37 I look at the pit now and cringe at the idea of getting in there. 15 years ago I'd storm right in, get fucked up, and show up to work the next day with black eyes, split lips, etc.

Ionian

RIP to the victims, sad way to go.

In these scenarios many people turn into animals, and it seems like the whole thing was badly organized and lacking security.

That's not even people running for their lives.
It's people completely disregarding and trampling on each other to get a better spot at the concert. Imagine how it was once things really got crazy

Was going off another users post, that posted it was before and then afterwards didn't retract.

Oj6Oxd2.jpg

Xvq5F01.jpg

PPVv8dd.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Fbh
Top Bottom