• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least 8 dead in ‘mass casualty event’ at Travis Scott Astroworld concert

Considering whose concert it was, i’m not surprised. But that is quite a few people dead unfortunately… especially feel bad for the kid. If only he had a role model to tell him not to listen to this clown.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
"Yeah it sucks you were almost crushed to death, but don't be so dramatic about it". What purpose does criticizing her account of what happened serve? Someone Make it make sense

I can't speak for the guy that said that, but in my mind, dressing it up all flowery and verbose implies a level of forethought and intention, a sort of disingenuous vibe, like someone who is capitalizing on a tragic situation to be seen as a heroic icon in the face of insurmountable adversity. If I got out of that situation in one piece, my account of what happened would be very concise and unrehearsed. If I were experiencing trauma or shock, I wouldn't immediately recount the situation like I was telling a story around a campfire, with twists and a climax. It seems like she wanted to get it out while it was a trending topic to be recognized as a hero.

Same reason I think your post was in bad faith. It seems like you're performatively offended. Like "This is such a terrible fate, I'm literally shaking," but as soon as someone makes a post you don't like in a FORUM. A videogame forum, for fuck's sake, then all bets are off, and "yeah, bruh, you can die the same way as the people in the concert," it's very glib behavior. If you're so appalled, why would you wish death on anyone?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I can't speak for the guy that said that, but in my mind, dressing it up all flowery and verbose implies a level of forethought and intention, a sort of disingenuous vibe, like someone who is capitalizing on a tragic situation to be seen as a heroic icon in the face of insurmountable adversity. If I got out of that situation in one piece, my account of what happened would be very concise and unrehearsed. If I were experiencing trauma or shock, I wouldn't immediately recount the situation like I was telling a story around a campfire, with twists and a climax. It seems like she wanted to get it out while it was a trending topic to be recognized as a hero.

Same reason I think your post was in bad faith. It seems like you're performatively offended. Like "This is such a terrible fate, I'm literally shaking," but as soon as someone makes a post you don't like in a FORUM. A videogame forum, for fuck's sake, then all bets are off, and "yeah, bruh, you can die the same way as the people in the concert," it's very glib behavior. If you're so appalled, why would you wish death on anyone?
Because maybe he'd have a little self awareness if he lived through that.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Because maybe he'd have a little self awareness if he lived through that.

He'd have self awareness if he lived through dying in a concert?

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Said it better than I could have.

Amory

This is a very weird story. I still can't really understand how or why this happened. Sad either way.

It's like people have no experience interacting in public or in crowds. And in some cases I guess maybe they don't if they came of age during the pandemic

HoodWinked

Gold Member
The youth that is the demo for this music is straight trash, same incident two angles.

here they breach the fencing and you can see people likely fall over on top of each other while people behind trample them this is the mentality of the crowd (and this is during broad daylight) and you can see how this would happen during the concert without much light.

Ionian

How the fuck is there communication to get ambulances to get on site for dead peoples but the organizers don’t come to Travis to tell him to stop?

Coms can be cut to his ear-mic apart from key places to stop him being put-off performing. Shouldn't be hot from the control desk until needed and maybe they couldn't get to it quickly enough. The fact people are saying he could see it happening though nullifies that argument and is damning, espcially with his own crew on-stage with him. Security should have immediately told him to address the crowd but I have no idea if they did or didn't.

Pull him off immediately and incite a riot or deal as quickly as they could with the wounded at a guess. Pure conjecture on my part, but I'd say pulling him off-stage or cutting his sound immediately would have hampered any efforts to those hurt and lead to more casualties.

He should have addressed the crowd. I hope everyone involved in this is haunted and sees time for these senseless, needless and barbaric deaths.

Last edited:

Ionian

The youth that is the demo for this music is straight trash, same incident two angles.

here they breach the fencing and you can see people likely fall over on top of each other while people behind trample them this is the mentality of the crowd (and this is during broad daylight) and you can see how this would happen during the concert without much light.

Boody hell, had seeen the second but not the first. That is one brave security guard, all of them, Police included. Was an onlaught of people pouring in, overwhelming odds. They had no hope to crowd control. And that stupid fuck still performed? As I said "coms" but I retract that statement. There's no way he couldn't have been told but not the part about I said about the trying to crowd control on his part.

Just like the Capitol assault ID every fucker in the videos and prosecute. As well as the venue, artist and promoters.

Looks like a zombie assault.

Last edited:

McCheese

So many people seemingly got in without a ticket, they must have known they were well over capacity - I'm surprised they even allowed the show to go ahead. I've been at events where they delayed it by an hour or so to kick everybody without a ticket out before starting. Sucks that the people who were crushed were probably the ones who got their first with tickets.

SJRB

Gold Member

lol at the "security" guy just fucking bodychecking random people, what the fuck.

Ionian

He did some heavy lifting there, turns off auto-tune asked for security and one guy runs up. Turns on auto-tune again.

How do rappers not know how to use an autotune and still make money, why are so many people buying this? I knew that shit early, they all sound out of tune with autotune. Removes the point. Daft Punk was a masterclass in it, who is producing these people?

The bloody thing can correct notes perfectly. Antares FTW. 2 decades ago I knew that, used to hardware and went to software, hell, Metallica, used it live.

You know and set the scale and tolerence otherwise it sounds like that.

Can be used on any tone-deaf imbicle now by phone.

10 years ago now with a standard plug-in. Serious money in music, fake it til you make it.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Man, that’s crazy. Hope everyone else was ok.
Fucking hell, that's even worse. The poor people killed. For a fucking rapper. Every time I see his name I think it's a country singer as well. I've never listened to his music.
It’s absolute bollocks, a proper embarrassment to the genre. He’s one of those autotune mumble rappers, but he’s got this lame thing where he barks “yeah” or similar with a load of reverb every couple of bars.

Wank.

nush

Gold Member
I've been to loads of metal/rock/punk concerts with mosh pits and general admission standing room, and if someone falls down, people stop what they're doing and try to help them up. There's a sense of comradery and community. I've seen insane live bands like Cannibal Corpse and not a single soul was trampled on during the show. People push and shove for sure, but nobody is trying to take a selfie over someone's lifeless body.

Metalheads are far more respectful and empathetic to others than rap/hip hop fans.

For example, stupid woman takes her baby into a mosh pit (left of the screen) and the fans make a wall around her and get her out.

Ionian

Man, that’s crazy. Hope everyone else was ok.

It’s absolute bollocks, a proper embarrassment to the genre. He’s one of those autotune mumble rappers, but he’s got this lame thing where he barks “yeah” or similar with a load of reverb every couple of bars.

Wank.

Does he at least do an 'uh-huh, uh-huh'? Maybe throw in a Jay-Z "check it out" on Rihanna? From his contribution to Umbrella.

Pejo

Gold Member
You have to wonder if half of this isn't people blowing off way too much steam from being cooped up the past year and a half. Really sad to hear about everyone injured and dead because of the crowd. I've been to plenty big shows throughout the years and not one artist/band I've ever seen didn't stop the music when the crowd got out of control. This Travis Scott guy is a fuckhead.

haxan7

Banned

That's my cue to stay away from large gatherings of people under the age of 30 for the next few years.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Such a horrific feeling getting crushed at a concert so all involved have my sympathy. I nearly got crushed to death at a Nine Inch Nails gig at the London Astoria back in 2005 with a friend.

The floors capacity was exceeded thus a horrible crush was inevitable. I screamed into my friends ear to get the security to pull me out as I genuinely thought I was in big trouble. I managed to boost my friend up with what little energy I had left and he crowd surfed to the front and got a group of security to drag me out. I never went to the London Astoria again after that and was relieved when the venue eventually closed down in 2009.

The above was the only bad experience I've ever had at a gig fortunately. I've been to many festivals like Download etc and the events were always well organised.

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned
Such a horrific feeling getting crushed at a concert so all involved have my sympathy. I nearly got crushed to death at a Nine Inch Nails gig at the London Astoria back in 2005 with a friend.

The floors capacity was exceeded thus a horrible crush was inevitable. I screamed into my friends ear to get the security to pull me out as I genuinely thought I was in big trouble. I managed to boost my friend up with what little energy I had left and he crowd surfed to the front and got a group of security to drag me out. I never went to the London Astoria again after that and was relieved when the venue eventually closed down in 2009.

The above was the only bad experience I've ever had at a gig fortunately. I've been to many festivals like Download etc and the event was well organised.
I remember at a big Slipknot concert in Baltimore in 2009 I was in a big crowd crush. It didn’t seem like anyone was really in danger. I remember a couple girls that were panicking saying they couldn’t breathe, but the people around them knew enough to give them room.

Whatever went down at this concert to kill 8 people was drastically wrong and out of the ordinary.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I remember at a big Slipknot concert in Baltimore in 2009 I was in a big crowd crush. It didn’t seem like anyone was really in danger. I remember a couple girls that were panicking saying they couldn’t breathe, but the people around them knew enough to give them room.

Whatever went down at this concert to kill 8 people was drastically wrong and out of the ordinary.
Ive seen Slipknot their gigs can get manic. Honestly listening to that guys account is giving me a panic attack. Not being able to breathe and being engulfed by other people is one of the most distressing experiences of my life. Your energy is just consumed and you feel your body going limp.🤢

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned
Ive seen Slipknot there gigs can get manic. Honestly listening to that guys account is giving me a panic attack. Not being able to breath and a being engulfed by other people is one of the most distressing experiences of my life. Your energy is just consumed and you feel your body going limp.🤢
I am a maniac and even I had to get out to take a little breather after a while. It's not pleasant, but it's possible to stay calm and ride it out. With what went on at this concert today, it seems like young people are beginning to abandon the kind of behavioral limits that make going to even the most insane concerts generally safe. So I'm not interested in going near any large groups of kids these days. Too much unpredictability.

haxan7

Banned
I mean, I wouldn't go there even if the music is trash. I don't think it should be punishable by death. But that might be just me.
Just because you don’t like or understand something doesn’t mean it’s trash.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Just because you don’t like or understand something doesn’t mean it’s trash.
Fair enough, but you are forgetting that one man's trash is another one's treasure. And yes guilty as charged, I understand nothing what he is saying

Ive seen Slipknot their gigs can get manic. Honestly listening to that guys account is giving me a panic attack. Not being able to breathe and being engulfed by other people is one of the most distressing experiences of my life. Your energy is just consumed and you feel your body going limp.🤢
I had a similar experience during a Love Parade in Berlin. It was pretty terrifying. A couple years later, 21 people died during what would be the last Love Parade ever.

Top Bottom