• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least 8 dead in ‘mass casualty event’ at Travis Scott Astroworld concert

Vagswarm

I didn't see that video. How long did it take for that to happen though?
I'm guessing as soon as he saw it and/or realized it wasn't a prop. It looks like he had no clue as to why it was there.

There should have been some communication between the hospital, concert owners (or whoever runs the show), and Travis / people in the crowd. Doesn't look like there was any.

Last edited:

Ionian

God, don't I know it. At 37 I look at the pit now and cringe at the idea of getting in there. 15 years ago I'd storm right in, get fucked up, and show up to work the next day with black eyes, split lips, etc.

Know a few people here and heard Fatboy Slim was due to play after a festival (Small venue, when he was good) got shitfaced quickly as had work the next day.

Got to say hello to him, he looked annoyed. Went into work still very obviously drunk ("doesn't matter if you're drunk, just come in"). Was a wine shop. I think they tried to send me home and I refused and was sent to work on the warehouse out the back. It was just a shed with crates of wine, every sick day I took after that I'd say they were relieved. Very posh area and I was slurring my words and laughing at nothing.

Good times!

caffeware

Banned
7:30 AM PT -- A source connected to Astroworld tells TMZ, someone in the crowd went crazy and began injecting people with some sort of drug, which caused panic and then a surge. The source says authorities are trying to determine if those who went into cardiac arrest were the ones injected. We're told one of those who died is a 10-year-old. The source says it appears to be a targeted attack. We have not confirmed this report, but the source is a key person involved in the festival.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

he got arrested for a similar situation back in 2017. the GA floor area was not filled (likely for safety reasons) so he was telling people to come out of their seats and fill the floor. it reached way over capacity and a security guard was crushed. after the show he was arrested for inciting a riot.

seems he hasnt learned his lesson hard enough.

travis scott is an influential and powerful international hip hop star. he had the power to stop these shows and didnt. im starting to think that he may be facing some legal trouble for this. but i dont know enough details so its too soon to say for sure. this will be interesting to watch play out though.

listen, im not against getting wild and crazy at a show, but the moment someone goes down, the crowd needs to stop and help them get back up. ad the moment a god damned ambulance show up, you need to stop the show, you fucking moron. some of this blood may be on travis scott's hands too, but we'll have to wait for more details first

where the breakdown was in security seems to be the biggest issue here though, as far as pin pointing the root of the problem (excluding the POS thugs that a portion of the audience consisted of to begin with)

Last edited:

Valonquar

Way back in the day at a Beastie Boys concert in Jax, FL a couple kids were crowd crushed to death against chain link fencing at the front of the stage. The club it was at was a death trap with a sunk in dance floor area with no where near enough exits for the capacity they had at events. 100% greed by the event hosting venue.

Umbasaborne

Banned
he got arrested for a similar situation back in 2017. the GA floor area was not filled (likely for safety reasons) so he was telling people to come out of their seats and fill the floor. it reached way over capacity and a security guard was crushed. after the show he was arrested for inciting a riot.

seems he hasnt learned his lesson hard enough.

travis scott is an influential and powerful international hip hop star. he had the power to stop these shows and didnt. im starting to think that he may be facing some legal trouble for this. but i dont know enough details so its too soon to say for sure. this will be interesting to watch play out though.

listen, im not against getting wild and crazy at a show, but the moment someone goes down, the crowd needs to stop and help them get back up. ad the moment a god damned ambulance show up, you need to stop the show, you fucking moron. some of this blood may be on travis scott's hands too, but we'll have to wait for more details first

where the breakdown was in security seems to be the biggest issue here though, as far as pin pointing the root of the problem (excluding the POS thugs that a portion of the audience consisted of to begin with)

I hope he goes to jail. This is man slaughter, he is responsible for this, bring the hammer down on him

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Clearly had no idea what was happening as he stood on a fucking tower overlooking the crowd of security and EMTs. DON'T CRUCIFY THIS MAN, HE'S A SAINT. Motherfucker injecting people probably had syringes full of the vaccine, no social distancing asshats.

Tams

This is literally the difference. Travis Scott fans are a lot more likely to have never even been to a concert and have zero rules or understanding of what is happening.

Any metal concert is full of people who have stage dived and pitted for 20 years and know the rules. You always pick people up and if someone's out of control they will get shut down.

Sadly I think the biggest reason this happened is lots of poor concert etiquette from people who just had no clue what a concert is like.

Inexperience will definitely have played a major role.

But let's not beat around the bush; many Travis Scott fans (like the man himself to be perfectly honest) are selfish, self-absorbed idiots. They see what they want and go for it; zero fucks given for anyone else. So they crushed up against the stage because so many of them just wanted to be near the front. And then when things went wrong as a result, all they could think of was getting themselves out of there, causing a stampede and trampling and crushing people.

Now, the latter especially, often happens when crowds panic. But that's no excuse and it should never have gotten to the point of panic. And for that the fans bear a lot of the blame.

Tams

He stopped the show after he noticed the ambulance was there. It looks he didn't even know what was going on or why they were there, and was concerned / confused. Watch the first video on CNN,

Video shows Travis Scott on stage as emergency vehicle approaches at Astroworld Festival

He does look concerned, but he just looks around a bit lost. At the very least he needs to get himself a better team who inform him before it gets to the point of seeing ambulances. And he could have done more than just mumble and point.

Jesus, link was posted on Era from the gig I mentioned here. Had never heard it. I never liked Billy Corgan but mass respect for him here. So saddening.

I only heard about it on the news. Was the 'Melancholy And The Infinte Sadness' tour from what I remember.

EDIT: link to article;

Which just goes to show that all concerts are going to have at least some selfish cunts in the audience. The cheering when he's quite seriously asking them to claim the fuck down is anger inducing. But that that concert wasn't as terrible says it all really.

Kev Kev

Recount from girl in the video.

absolute insanity.

hard to believe what that must have been like. ive been in some pretty intense crowds where your body is at the whim of the direction a big push is coming from. but ive never feared for my life like that. that must have been terrifying.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember the steel barriers, planted in concrete at a venue here. Looked like ones from a car park. Girl got killed from a crush against it at a Smashing Pumpkins gig of all things. As far as I remember the band kept asking the crowd to stop and when that happened, stopped the gig. I wasn't at it but was in the news.

They removed the barriers and eventually rebuilt the venue into an arena. Poor girl, what a way to go. I've been up front there at the time for other gigs and did get crushed by people pushing forward but so close to the stage nobody can hear you when you think you're in trouble. Tragic way to go.
I've never been to a concert where I'm at the front with barriers to be crush against, but for fully open concerts with no seats, I've weeded my way to the front. It's awesome, until everyone does the same. Then you get naturally pushed back to the second or third rows, and then say fuck it and let everyone pass and you end up falling back to row 15+ and dont give a a shit as all the drugged up people bum rush to the front.

If I got pinned to the front of a gate, I'm not sure what I'd do. Maybe go on one knee or try to get kind of low. You cant get your chest pinned against a wall. But then again maybe the people at the front will try to step on you.

Last edited:

thefool

Ugh, what an horrible situation. Who brings a 10 year old for this type of concert?

It's pretty weird how there's rules and safety regulations for everything but for crowd concerts it's "lets just squeeze as many as we can".

Last edited:

Vagswarm

He does look concerned, but he just looks around a bit lost. At the very least he needs to get himself a better team who inform him before it gets to the point of seeing ambulances. And he could have done more than just mumble and point.
What else was he supposed to do? He clearly was lost and confused. An ambulance usually doesn't enter into a concert crowd and it's apparent that no one told him anything. We also don't see what he said after that brief clip, because it's clear he started talking when they cut it off. And why does he need to get a better team when it's the concert organizers who would be the ones to know an ambulance is coming?

And for the record, I have no bias toward Travis or listen to his music. **But people always like to act high and mighty as if they would have handled it (whatever situation went wrong) so much better, when all most people do even as observers is hold up their phones for Facebook to see. Or criticize from their computers.

**Not referring to this thread in particular. It happens all the time in these instances, all over the internet.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it's terrible that people have died and been injured but fuck Travis Scott. hope he has been pulled in for questioning. got a lot to answer for i think.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ugh, what an horrible situation. Who brings a 10 year old for this type of concert?

It's pretty weird how there's rules and safety regulations for everything but for crowd concerts it's "lets just squeeze as many as we can".
Dave Chappelle Reaction GIF

Gov gives in when big money is on the line. I went to a Jays game in the summer. That was when stadiums were opening up here with limited capacity. Youd think the seating would be spread out.

Nope.

There was limited capacity. But all the bleacher and upper deck sections were blocked. The limited capacity was funneled to the better sections behind, 1st, home and 3rd base. All these kinds of seats are $50+. Ours were $70 and it was shoulder to shoulder like a normal game. There were zero spaced out seats. Looks like all gov did was do a mathematical calculation to do 30% capacity but didnt say how to do it. So the jays just limited to the better seats. lol. Thats gov for ya.

And even stupider. The stadium policy was you're supposed to put on a mask when walking around the tunnels with bathroom and snack bars. But at your seat you were allowed to take off your mask. Doesn't even make sense.

Everyone walking around for beer didnt give a shit about putting on masks and none of the guards or aisles ushers gave a shit either. Everyone did their own thing.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

From the looks of it a lot of people going to that concert were young. Apparently they still need to have their parents guiding them on not to be selfish morons.

wannabe rappers, pretend rich boys, and 10 year old kids. travis markets himself to kids who play fortnite and eat mcdonalds.
Yeah, just people who never go to concerts ever. Im sure the organizers are somewhat negligent here but its really no one's fault but the fans. There is not enough security to patrol giant crowds like that. Youre supposed to not act like a complete moron and kill the people next to you.

Cyberpunkd

There was limited capacity. But all the bleacher and upper deck sections were blocked. The limited capacity was funneled to the better sections behind, 1st, home and 3rd base. All these kinds of seats are $50+. Ours were $70 and it was shoulder to shoulder like a normal game. There were zero spaced out seats. Looks like all gov did was do a mathematical calculation to do 30% capacity but didnt say how to do it. So the jays just limited to the better seats. lol. Thats gov for ya.
Which is why I never go to concerts where I know there is no box available, most concerts on stadiums have them as part of the infrastructure.

You sit, chill, drink good stuff from the bar behind you and enjoy the show.

Vagswarm

Yeah, just people who never go to concerts ever. Im sure the organizers are somewhat negligent here but its really no one's fault but the fans. There is not enough security to patrol giant crowds like that. Youre supposed to not act like a complete moron and kill the people next to you.
Right, even before the concert began they stormed the gate like idiots, with absolutely no regard for anyone else. I thought that's when the tragedy occurred because even that looked horrible.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
both are to blame. the crowd shouldn't be doing shit to put people in danger but if there is not enough security to patrol a giant crowd like that then the organisers are to blame. if you can't handle a crowd like that then don't let that many people in.

both are to blame. the crowd shouldn't be doing shit to put people in danger but if there is not enough security to patrol a giant crowd like that then the organisers are to blame. if you can't handle a crowd like that then don't let that many people in.
I mean no concert ever can actually handle that many people. People handle themselves. And you have small groups of medics and police for targeted intervention and the stage and entrance / exits. Its just not realistic to even think security can micro-manage the interiors of all crowds.

Ionian

I've never been to a concert where I'm at the front with barriers to be crush against, but for fully open concerts with no seats, I've weeded my way to the front. It's awesome, until everyone does the same. Then you get naturally pushed back to the second or third rows, and then say fuck it and let everyone pass and you end up falling back to row 15+ and dont give a a shit as all the drugged up people bum rush to the front.

If I got pinned to the front of a gate, I'm not sure what I'd do. Maybe go on one knee or try to get kind of low. You cant get your chest pinned against a wall. But then again maybe the people at the front will try to step on you.

It's hard to explain but she wasn't killed by a light barrier, steel in concrete so no way to move it. They were all thicker then these pics and spaced all over the front section.

Died from being crushed into one. Wasn't really a gate but more to space people out and stop them getting to the front where they would have standard movable gates. Was to stop people approaching the stage. Think a bigger version of one you lock your bike in when in a city centre and multiply it and they were all across the front of the stage, even meters back. Then a surge happened and she was crushed to death, they removed them after. Most people didn't even notice her struggling. Try yelling for help in a packed crowd at a concert, she had no chance as you can barely be audible to the person beside you in the crowd.

If you went on a knee you'd be killed as the crowds used to be so dense. They just wouldn't notice you from the visuals, sound and the fact the ground was dumped with litter anyway. Would be a death sentence to do anything but try to flee and good luck doing that back then. If you made it out for a piss you'd miss half of the act and probably the rest getting back.

Dark Star

What a sad sight to see. Travis Scott fans are a bunch of selfish disrespectful fools.

I've been to loads of metal/rock/punk concerts with mosh pits and general admission standing room, and if someone falls down, people stop what they're doing and try to help them up. There's a sense of comradery and community. I've seen insane live bands like Cannibal Corpse and not a single soul was trampled on during the show. People push and shove for sure, but nobody is trying to take a selfie over someone's lifeless body.

Metalheads are far more respectful and empathetic to others than rap/hip hop fans.

Last edited:

Ionian

Which just goes to show that all concerts are going to have at least some selfish cunts in the audience. The cheering when he's quite seriously asking them to claim the fuck down is anger inducing. But that that concert wasn't as terrible says it all really.

Think everyone got a refund and they did play another gig for cancelling and the family sued the venue. The poor girl still died though. A teenager, was massive news here. Think I was only at the Chili Peppers shortly before that gig (was 16 at a guess) and was up the front at one of the same barriers, friends I was with noped the fuck out immediately once they started playing. Didn't see them for the rest of the gig, only after.

My first major venue gig on my own so the adraneline probably helped.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I mean no concert ever can actually handle that many people. People handle themselves. And you have small groups of medics and police for targeted intervention and the stage and entrance / exits. Its just not realistic to even think security can micro-manage the interiors of all crowds.
well that many people should not have been allowed in. yeah to some degree you'd expect people to behave themselves and of course you can't have a security staff or paramedic for every person but again the organisers are to blame. with whatever resources you have you should have an idea of what you can cope with.

either they should've hired way more staff/police/paramedics or reduced venue capacity. it's completely irresponsible to let in 50,000 people in if they can't manage it.

Easy to say for someone who wasnt nearly crushed/trampled to death.
yeah it was easy for me to say. great post. i sympathise with the person for having to endure such a horrific experience but there was no need for the dramatic novel.

Last edited:

Ionian

Things were getting dumb and dangerous during some of the rap acts at ACL this year too.

Ones here are generally safe, been to loads of festivals from dance music to general acts. Most people off their head on drink and drugs (me included) but it was extremely rare to hear of anything fatal with so many people around in an open space. Exponentially bigger than that gig in people and size. (4 or 5 stages) Still a bigger chance anyone camping would find a random person sleeping beside them in the morning as they found the wrong tent.

EDIT: Checked by security on the way in and I never saw anyone unreasonably hassled by security at any festival. They come out when you act up but are always in the background.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
well that many people should not have been allowed in. yeah to some degree you'd expect people to behave themselves and of course you can't have a security staff or paramedic for every person but again the organisers are to blame. with whatever resources you have you should have an idea of what you can cope with.

either they should've hired way more staff/police/paramedics or reduced venue capacity. it's completely irresponsible to let in 50,000 people in if they can't manage it.

yeah it was easy for me to say. great post. i sympathise with the person for having to endure such a horrific experience but there was no need for the dramatic novel.
I wish you were the one being crushed to death. I don't care if I'm banned for saying it either.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I wish you were the one being crushed to death. I don't care if I'm banned for saying it either.

You lose your good guy karma points for immediately wishing upon someone else the same fate that you find so tragic. Yeah, shit is fucked up, both from the event, and the perceived callousness of the post in question, but this isn't Resetera, my dude.

edbrat

We've had so many of these events and so many deaths to learn from that this outcome is simply inexcusable. First problem is the size of the crowd and people without tickets busting in, insufficient staff to manage it and stop that from happening, and then be in enough numbers and with enough expertise and leadership to handle large crowds who are hyped as fuck and smashed out of their heads. Also the layout and probably size of the venue, nothing else playing at the time so everyone goes to watch Travis. The main area was not segmented enough to prevent crushes and surges, it looks like there was insufficient access for for more security to get in if shit goes south and eventually, tragically, for medical staff to get in and save people. There's probably a whole lot more we can think of. Fact is events bigger than this happen all the time with noone dying. I can understand people blaming the fans but teenagers behaving like selfish pricks when they're smashed and watching their idols live is hardly a surprise, this should have been expected and those kids should not be dead. RIP.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
You lose your good guy karma points for immediately wishing upon someone else the same fate that you find so tragic. Yeah, shit is fucked up, both from the event, and the perceived callousness of the post in question, but this isn't Resetera, my dude

Well no wonder you don't have any issues with dramatic writing lol. Holy hell dude.
"Yeah it sucks you were almost crushed to death, but don't be so dramatic about it". What purpose does criticizing her account of what happened serve? Someone Make it make sense

Top Bottom