• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least 8 dead in ‘mass casualty event’ at Travis Scott Astroworld concert

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
This is scary. Because when stuff like this happens you can't really do anything as an individual.

RIP
In fact, not 100% true. I was thinking through the body mechanics of what I would do and then looked it up. I was correct.

If you're laying on your side curled up, you could have a few broken ribs but people can't actually stand on you for long. Just don't lay on your back and that alone is a giant improvement.

If you're standing up and being squished, you can always create 6 inches in front of you with your arms and elbows.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
This is scary. Because when stuff like this happens you can't really do anything as an individual.

RIP

I've avoided a potential crowd surge by reading the room and being aware of my surroundings. There was a huge surge (No one hurt to my knowledge) and as I had mentally planned my exit routes I just moved there, even though it lost my hour and a half queuing time I'd gained up to that point. scary shit.

Concerning this show I can only tell you stories of my concert experiences. At a Disturbed show a girl fainted in the crowd press close to me. Myself and 5 others close enough to recognize the problem immediately formed a spear to push through the crowd to allow her BF to carry her to the paramedics. I also spent a whole Rob Zombie show standing my fat ass in front of a guy in a wheelchair so he could get close to the stage without dealing with the mosh pit. I let a literal child sit on my shoulders so he could watch a Manson show.

If you're at a metal show you pay the fuck attention to where to go if you need to help people.

Edit- At the KISS show my dad and little brother went to we changed seats so the kid behind us could see the stage. As a grown-ass-man you have a responsibility to not be a cunt in public.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

I seen a couple reports where he stopped the show several times because it looked like people were getting hurt. Most people are clearly judging their opinions on what they think about him or that style of music, as clearly evident by the "my music is better than yours" nonsense being discussed over the fact that people are actually dead.

Last edited:
In fact, not 100% true. I was thinking through the body mechanics of what I would do and then looked it up. I was correct.

If you're laying on your side curled up, you could have a few broken ribs but people can't actually stand on you for long. Just don't lay on your back and that alone is a giant improvement.

If you're standing up and being squished, you can always create 6 inches in front of you with your arms and elbows.

Im talking about the fact not getting into a situation having to do that while in a crowed with no way to exit.

If the crowed starts to move and crush, the crowed will start to move and crush and that will result in a domino effect

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Im talking about the fact not getting into a situation having to do that while in a crowed with no way to exit.

If the crowed starts to move and crush, the crowed will start to move and crush and that will result in a domino effect

Yeah, I think people outside looking in on these situations always have an easy time saying "it wouldn't happen to ME, I have situational awareness!" but in the heat of the moment, I've often times found myself cursing my stupidity for falling directly into a stupid situation that I knew better beforehand. Sure, having knowledge beforehand definitely increases your odds, and being educated and prepared is never a bad thing, but in any situation that involves more cognition than what's contained between your two ears, you can fall victim to other people's decision making very easily.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Concerning this show I can only tell you stories of my concert experiences. At a Disturbed show a girl fainted in the crowd press close to me. Myself and 5 others close enough to recognize the problem immediately formed a spear to push through the crowd to allow her BF to carry her to the paramedics. I also spent a whole Rob Zombie show standing my fat ass in front of a guy in a wheelchair so he could get close to the stage without dealing with the mosh pit. I let a literal child sit on my shoulders so he could watch a Manson show.

If you're at a metal show you pay the fuck attention to where to go if you need to help people.

Edit- At the KISS show my dad and little brother went to we changed seats so the kid behind us could see the stage. As a grown-ass-man you have a responsibility to not be a cunt in public.
As is tradition.

Thats how it works.

I am a fan of Travis Scott (the La Flame on my name is because of him) but I can't understand how fucking stupid you have to be to see people literally dying and do nothing about it. What the fuck Travis? After today, I lost all my respect for him as a person and I hope he gets the punishment he deserves.

I've been to metal concerts (the two most dangerous ones I went was Kreator and Amon Amarth) and I've seen people in trouble during mosh pits, but NEVER ever I saw the artists and the rest of the audience ignoring it. At the Kreator concert they even told people to be careful, because it was a small venue, and everyone obliged. What the fuck happened at Astroworld? So many people are responsible for this shit, but Travis should simply pay more attention to his fans.

And btw, it's fucking disgusting seeing people here throwing shade at others for liking Travis Scott. It's not the time for that you idiots, this has nothing to do with you or your fucking taste in music. People can enjoy what they enjoy.

I am a fan of Travis Scott (the La Flame on my name is because of him) but I can't understand how fucking stupid you have to be to see people literally dying and do nothing about it. What the fuck Travis? After today, I lost all my respect for him as a person and I hope he gets the punishment he deserves.

I've been to metal concerts (the two most dangerous ones I went was Kreator and Amon Amarth) and I've seen people in trouble during mosh pits, but NEVER ever I saw the artists and the rest of the audience ignoring it. At the Kreator concert they even told people to be careful, because it was a small venue, and everyone obliged. What the fuck happened at Astroworld? So many people are responsible for this shit, but Travis should simply pay more attention to his fans.

And btw, it's fucking disgusting seeing people here throwing shade at others for liking Travis Scott. It's not the time for that you idiots, this has nothing to do with you or your fucking taste in music. People can enjoy what they enjoy.
Empathizes in gun owner.

nush

Gold Member

My example was based on an international boarder crossing that was understaffed. You had no way of knowing in advance what the situation was in the no mans land between exiting one country and entering the other.

If you arrive at a concert early, how are you supposed to know what's coming in behind you?

Kev Kev

There are apparently multiple videos of people trying to start “stop the show” chants. Here’s one…

What more could people have done? The way I see it, once the show started (which it shouldn’t have to begin with, after the entrance was over run) the one fucking dude with the power to stop all of that was the super star with a microphone in is hand, and it appears that he didn’t do shit.

haxan7

Banned

I doubt he understood the seriousness of what was going on. Hindsight is 20/20. Best to wait until the dust clears to pass judgments.

Tams

What else was he supposed to do? He clearly was lost and confused. An ambulance usually doesn't enter into a concert crowd and it's apparent that no one told him anything. We also don't see what he said after that brief clip, because it's clear he started talking when they cut it off. And why does he need to get a better team when it's the concert organizers who would be the ones to know an ambulance is coming?

And for the record, I have no bias toward Travis or listen to his music. **But people always like to act high and mighty as if they would have handled it (whatever situation went wrong) so much better, when all most people do even as observers is hold up their phones for Facebook to see. Or criticize from their computers.

**Not referring to this thread in particular. It happens all the time in these instances, all over the internet.

Use some of the few brain cells he has to at least shout clearly to the crowd to stop moving. He was the one people are most likely to listen to the one with access to the big fucking sound system. Edit: sure he did actually do a somewhat decent job in that clip for one person, but the ambulance clip shows him just not doing enough.

And no one told him anything? Well isn't it partly his responsibility to surround himself with a good team who would know to tell him? Look, most of us here know he isn't exactly the smartest tool in the shed, but that doesn't absolve you from responsibility.

Listen to that Smashing Pumpkins recording that someone else posted here. At least they tried properly to stop the crowd. And as a result only one person died (and said girl was retrieved from the crowd by their team before she died).

Of course, there's plenty of blame to go around. From the security, event medical staff, the crowd, management, Travis, and even the fucking police it would seem.

Last edited:

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
I remember at a big Slipknot concert in Baltimore in 2009 I was in a big crowd crush. It didn’t seem like anyone was really in danger. I remember a couple girls that were panicking saying they couldn’t breathe, but the people around them knew enough to give them room.

Whatever went down at this concert to kill 8 people was drastically wrong and out of the ordinary.
I was watching Slipknot on a side stage at Ozzfest around 2003 or 2004 and I was near a chain link fence when the crowd surged and it was terrifying. I had a couple of people between me and the fence and I tried to brace myself against the fence with my arms extended to protect them. The surge ended with no incident but that brief moment definitely scary as fuck.

MastaKiiLA

While I see a lot of blame going to Travis Scott, I think these incidents inevitably falls on the event organizers. This sounds like a case of being overcapacity, and no steps were taken to alleviate that surplus before the concert started peaking. I've personally never been a fan of mosh pits, as I don't see a point in getting banged up while enjoying music. I also don't like being up front, unless it's a really chill band. Crowd crush has always been a fear of mine, ever since I went to a TOOL concert in Albany with a friend, and not only was it my first ever mosh pit, but also the first time I've felt the effects of crowd crush. When people get into large groups, plan for the worst, and hope for the best.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Very sad. Reminds me of Roskilde 2001, during Pearl Jam, where 9 people died. It's crazy that we never learn from our mistakes.

Batiman

Banned
He was probably geeked up to the point he didn’t realize how serious the situation was. I put most of the blame on him though tbh. The artist has the power to control the crowd to a a large degree at least.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

So he stops the show. Can see the ambulance in the crowd. And then proceeds to start the show again despite there being an obvious emergency in the crowd.

Yeah this guy needs to be sued into the ground.

Medical vehicle in middle of crowd. Continues with show anyway.

What a fucking asshat.

Horrible organisation, dreadful security and safety, dumb ass fans, dumb ass performer.

mortal

Gold Member
Horrible organisation, dreadful security and safety, dumb ass fans, dumb ass performer.
Agreed. This isn't to discredit nor condemn the people that were cooperating and aiding, but there was a major failure at every level in all parties.
One of the fundamental goals of a live show is to be a communal experience. This looked to be the antithesis to that.

Ian Henry

Damn this was tragic. The vid of the EMT trying to revive the lifeless body was just eerie to me. The boy was black and blue all in the face Just crazy. Condolences to the family and loved ones.

Does anyone know if the rumor of a person injecting people with fentaynl is true? If that did happen, that explains that aligns with some of the reported death causes: Overdose and Alcohol Poisoning. Sickening if true.

Kev Kev

Damn this was tragic. The vid of the EMT trying to revive the lifeless body was just eerie to me. The boy was black and blue all in the face Just crazy. Condolences to the family and loved ones.

Does anyone know if the rumor of a person injecting people with fentaynl is true? If that did happen, that explains that aligns with some of the reported death causes: Overdose and Alcohol Poisoning. Sickening if true.
theres a lot of stories going around right now. the police chief confirmed there was someone they NARCAN'd after finding them passed out. that man said he said he felt a prick in his neck before losing consciousness, and there was indeed a mark on his neck that appeared to be irritated like something was forcefully injected

however, i would be vary wary of accepting whats true and not at this point. there were tens of thousands of people in attendance and im sure they are being overwhelmed with testimonials, evidence, eye witness accounts and more. were gonna have to wait for the dust to settle and the investigation to turn up some facts and evidence before coming to any conclusions

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
What's the mystery? Stupid things happened, people were killed, money will be thrown.
Yeah no. This is nowhere near that simple. There was a distinct failure across the board from the artist, the security, the venue, the authorities, and the medical personnel. There is definitely gonna be money thrown, but it is going to be coming from a variety of directions.

This level of incompetence and negligence is criminal.

Kev Kev

Concerts get out of control that’s expected to me if you’re Travis you forget this ever happened and move on, security guards can’t be heroes all of a sudden.
moron-youre-a-moron.gif

Top Bottom