• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least thirteen dead as van hits crowds in Barcelona

shandy706

Sigh..

Hope everyone is ok, RIP to those that may not be.

"Burn in hell" to those that did this.

Wonder which terrorist group it is this time? I swear I'm losing track. Nazis/ISIS/random whatever...

(throws up hands)

Plus we have easy access from Africa, as major ferries to there are done, so it could be easiily accessed by terrorist from there too.

Spain is a Schengen treaty country with no internal border checks - they could have driven or taken the train from anywhere in the EU. Statistically speaking, these terrorists tend to be from the country they strike in.

Patrick S.

Banned
Saw a small child crying over who I guess is her father lying motionless on the floor, saw a small motionless girl lying next to a motionless man. I hate this world so much.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
This is crazy. Was just texting with one of my best friends who lives there. Happened to be walking on Ramblas. He said he just started running when he heard screams and people were running towards him. Now the area is on lockdown cause police is still looking for 1 guy.

Sounds insane. I hope your friend is alright.

Fuck this happened like across the fucking park from me.

Then there were screams, and then possible gunshots (another English speaker I ran into said he heard them) and everyone bolted the fuck out.
I was at the plaza Catalunya when it went down. I heard the crash and saw people running and I kinda followed them and stood back for a bit before there was another wave of people running. I headed back to my hostel at that point. I just flew into Barcelona this morning and was waiting for my buddies to show up at the bus stop when all this went down. Crazy stuff.

Y-Z

People have been murdered by terrorists in Spain and the first thing you worry about is Donald fucking Trump.

Give it a rest.

RIP to the victims.

Yeah, half the first page is about Trump. People need to check their priorities.

Mimosa97

I thought Spain had been spared from radical Islam since the attacks in Madrid 15 years ago? I guess no one is safe anymore in the West. We let that ideology fester and we let radicals prosper without being threatened while we were fighting among ourselves about petty things.

On an unrelated note, I've said this before and I'll say this again but if your first reaction to these kind of tragedies in Europe is " I'M NEVER SETTING FOOT IN EUROPE OMG OMG I'M SO SCARED GAF WHAT SHOULD I DO " then you're a self-centered asshole. No one gives a fuck about you when people just lost their lives and terrorists are still roaming around killing people.

Ferr986

Videos are everywhere but I ain't going to watch them, fuck that.

Sadly they'll end up putting them on the TV anyways....

Not again. We knew they were gunning for us so it doesn't really surprise me, my condolences to the victims and stay safe people.

Unidos contra el terrorismo.

Sigh..

Hope everyone is ok, RIP to those that may not be.

"Burn in hell" to those that did this.

Wonder which terrorist group it is this time? I swear I'm losing track. Nazis/ISIS/random whatever...

(throws up hands)

Everyone definitely is not okay, multiple people lying in blood on the ground not moving. Not cool.

Eria

I thought Spain had been spared from radical Islam since the attacks in Madrid 15 years ago? I guess no one is safe anymore in the West. We let that ideology fester and we let radicals prosper without being threatened while we were fighting among ourselves about petty things.

On an unrelated note, I've said this before and I'll say this again but if your first reaction to these kind of tragedies in Europe is " I'M NEVER SETTING FOOT IN EUROPE OMG OMG I'M SO SCARED GAF WHAT SHOULD I DO " then you're a self-centered asshole. No one gives a fuck about you when people just lost their lives and terrorists are still roaming around killing people.

Yes, police has been doing a nice job stoping terrorist attack the last years, like 150 people if I remember correctly. But there is always a chance in these things

There used to be a time where you could just go on vacation to Spain, France, UK, Germany and so on but fuck man, this kind of stuff could happen to any of us and thinking about that makes it all the more scary. Can't imagine what it must be like for people right now there.

And the thing is, you definitely CAN go on vacation and nothing horrible has to happen, there is just no way of telling.

A friend of mine wants me to go with him to Malaga in September and I just don't know man, i dont.

peppers

No words. Please avoid that area and if you know someone in Barcelona right now that might not know this, do contact them. Also avoid using phone lines if it's not absolutely necessary since they might be collapsed!

ccbfan

It's safer then the US, assuming you are there.
Don't be scared off by stuff like that.

It's terrible stuff like this happens, but limiting yourself will not make you safer. All it does is help the people trying to make you afraid.

Don't tell me you are from the US. The chance of getting shot there is so much higher than beeing in an such an rare incident in "Europe"...

Hope there are no deaths. Scary stuff.

Europe is one of the safest regions in the world though. I can't really think of many other areas that are safer then your average EU country. We should do more to prevent things like this, but not going to Europe out of fear is a bit strange.

Huge difference between where I live and where I choose to vacation. I live where I live for work reasons, its kinda manditory. I get paid to live where I live. (Plus I live in a super safe suburb near NYC) Vacations on the other hand is completely my choice, I'm paying up the wazoo for international travels.

Also issue isn't about how safe the entire country is. There's a lot of dangerous parts in the U.S and I try to avoid those areas too. I vacation in super safe places in the US too. (Canada is my favorite close area though)

Its also the fact that these attacks are happening in place where you should feel safe. Large touristsy areas where you shouldn't have to worry about this stuff. Whats even more scary for me is that 5 of the places I went to on my honeymoon in Europe has had a terror attack in the past year. Those are pretty crazy numbers.

barber

Spain is a Schengen treaty country with no internal border checks - they could have driven or taken the train from anywhere in the EU. Statistically speaking, these terrorists tend to be from the country they strike in.
That's way i said plus. We have had problem previously with terrorist training in Africa and coming that way. As noted, a spanish passport was found in the van so it doesn't really matter.
The bar thing has been confirmed. Hope there are no more major victims.
Edit: Really impressed by the mossos and the government act, pretty fast in locking the place down and really calming for what has happened

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
There used to be a time where you could just go on vacation to Spain, France, UK, Germany and so on but fuck man, this kind of stuff could happen to any of us and thinking about that makes it all the more scary. Can't imagine what it must be like for people right now there.

And the thing is, you definitely CAN go on vacation and nothing horrible has to happen, there is just no way of telling.

A friend of mine wants me to go with him to Malaga in September and I just don't know man, i dont.

Come on man, come off it. I live in London and walk across various bridges every day, no one here is worried about anything. No way to live your life. There is still more chance you are killed plugging in your charger.

This is exactly how terrorism is meant to work.

Mohonky

Dare I ask for potential motive at this point? I'd love to be wrong but this is almost clockwork at this point........

RE lover

Not official yet, but Spanish TV is reporting at least 20-25 injured, terrorists now in a restaurant, but it's unknown if there are hostages

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just learned about this. I'm seething. I'm afraid the body count is going to grow given the video.

Police and the intelligence services have been working overtime. They have decades of expertise dealing with internal terrorism and the CESID is apparently very involved in monitoring the local islamist elements.

I hope the rapid reaction groups end this swiftly.

Huge difference between where I live and where I choose to vacation. I live where I live for work reasons, its kinda manditory. I get paid to live where I live. (Plus I live in a super safe suburb near NYC) Vacations on the other hand is completely my choice, I'm paying up the wazoo for international travels.

Also issue isn't about how safe the entire country is. There's a lot of dangerous parts in the U.S and I try to avoid those areas too. I vacation in super safe places in the US too. (Canada is my favorite close area though)

Its also the fact that these attacks are happening in place where you should feel safe. Large touristsy areas where you shouldn't have to worry about this stuff. Whats even more scary for me is that 5 of the places I went to on my honeymoon in Europe has had a terror attack in the past year. Those are pretty crazy numbers.

It's still super safe. You can and should feel safe here.
Believe anything else and you're a sucker, drinking the terrorist kool-aid.

Acidote

The Spanish police and Guardia Civil have been thwarting all types of terrorist attacks these last years. They are GOOD at this, but something was bound to happen eventually.

Nictel

Oh God, not again :(

This. First and foremost this is absolutely terrible for the victims.

Secondly, I worry this won't stop without some draconian measurements. I don't want Europe to turn in to a police state. It already (very) slowly is beginning to happen.

Top Bottom