• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least thirteen dead as van hits crowds in Barcelona

Huge difference between where I live and where I choose to vacation. I live where I live for work reasons, its kinda manditory. I get paid to live where I live. (Plus I live in a super safe suburb near NYC) Vacations on the other hand is completely my choice, I'm paying up the wazoo for international travels.

Also issue isn't about how safe the entire country is. There's a lot of dangerous parts in the U.S and I try to avoid those areas too. I vacation in super safe places in the US too. (Canada is my favorite close area though)

Its also the fact that these attacks are happening in place where you should feel safe. Large touristsy areas where you shouldn't have to worry about this stuff. Whats even more scary for me is that 5 of the places I went to on my honeymoon in Europe has had a terror attack in the past year. Those are pretty crazy numbers.
I get the concerns, I totally do. And if you personally don't think you'd feel safe, don't go. But it is kind of like Europeans complaining they will never visit the US because of the gun violence there. Yes, there are serious incidents, but should we not visit NYC because of that? It's your choice in the end of course.

there are hostages, they are in a turkey bar with hostages
Damn, that's terrible. Hopefully the police can get them out safely.

How long until pavements just have barricades alongside them all the time so people don't have to worry about getting crushed by vans? Like at London Bridge and Westminster.

Like I'm not proposing that as a viable measure but it seems impossible to prevent these attacks from happening.

shandy706

We don't need this right now. Ugh.

Trump tweet in 3... 2.. 1...

Well, the man just makes things up as he goes.

Last vehicle that ran someone over was from a group that "had something to say/listen to". Both Sides!!

I'm sure this one will be a horrible terrorist attack though (as it should be)....(throws logic out the window)

I was there last year that exact same street! I was planning to go again with the family this summer... Man, it is usually packed with people, I hope everyone is safe.

Starfield

Sigh..

Wonder which terrorist group it is this time? I swear I'm losing track. Nazis/ISIS/random whatever...

(throws up hands)

First of all,

Nazis aren't a terrorist group. They were something much much worse.

Second, Nazi's are no more. They're called Neo-Nazi's nowadays.

Nictel

How long until pavements just have barricades alongside them all the time so people don't have to worry about getting crushed by vans? Like at London Bridge and Westminster.

Like I'm not proposing that as a viable measure but it seems impossible to prevent these attacks from happening.

Rather see this solved on the other side: Stop vans from hitting pedestrians. It is a long way off but the technology is getting there.

Mimosa97

Yes, police has been doing a nice job stoping terrorist attack the last years, like 150 people if I remember correctly. But there is always a chance in these things

I just learned about this. I'm seething. I'm afraid the body count is going to grow given the video.

Police and the intelligence services have been working overtime. They have decades of expertise dealing with internal terrorism and the CESID is apparently very involved in monitoring the local islamist elements.

I hope the rapid reaction groups end this swiftly.

Yeah spanish authorities bave been doing a great job but I guess it was bound to happen.

Please take The S*n link out of the OP. They've proven time and time again they can't be trusted as journalists.

Hoping for the best for everyone involved. I hate how regular it's starting to seem.

I think 2 of my cousins are currently in Barcelona on holiday. I sent them a message to see if they are ok

If I were a praying man, I'd pray for you and everyone else with loved ones there. And they people there, of course.
As it is, all I can do is hope.

Fuck the people responsible got this. I hope they get taken alive.

Current counter-terrorism doctrine is that you can't really stop the initial strike but should be able to stop the vehicle from leaving the area on short notice and contain the suspects. Which the Spanish seem to be doing quite admirably considering the insane circumstances.

RPGCrazied

People have been murdered by terrorists in Spain and the first thing you worry about is Donald fucking Trump.

Give it a rest.

RIP to the victims.

Yes, rip to the victims, but I'm sorry, Donald Trump is unfortunately the President of the United States, we have to worry about him.

Sailent

Banned
Did you see Spanish media glorifying the perpetrators of this kind of attack?

They aren't informing shit.

The police told them please not to share any photographs of the victims, yet the only thing the media is showing is photographs of the people who were run over in a fucking loop.

For now there are 3 deaths and 20 injured. Among the deads, kids.

Come on man, come off it. I live in London and walk across various bridges every day, no one here is worried about anything. No way to live your life. There is still more chance you are killed plugging in your charger.

This is exactly how terrorism is meant to work.

Absolutely horrible, hope the casualties aren't too many.

Trump and his administration must be happy as fuck. If this is ISIS, it does feel like Trump's disapproval numbers are worrying them.

That kind of thinking is flawed. You have a much much MUCH higher chance of being killed by another random person than a terrorist.

Hell, you have a much higher chance of being killed driving to the airport.

I know I know, living in fear is not living but still man. My brother recently said something similar about how he'd like to visit Euro Disney with his wife and kids but after all these attacks, he rather just stay in Holland and have a vacation there. Not like nothing can happen here but it is more unlikely.

Tagyhag

Absolutely horrible, hope the casualties aren't too many.

Trump and his administration must be happy as fuck. If this is ISIS, it does feel like Trump's disapproval numbers are worrying them.

There used to be a time where you could just go on vacation to Spain, France, UK, Germany and so on but fuck man, this kind of stuff could happen to any of us and thinking about that makes it all the more scary. Can't imagine what it must be like for people right now there.

And the thing is, you definitely CAN go on vacation and nothing horrible has to happen, there is just no way of telling.

A friend of mine wants me to go with him to Malaga in September and I just don't know man, i dont.

That kind of thinking is flawed. You have a much much MUCH higher chance of being killed by another random person than a terrorist.

Hell, you have a much higher chance of being killed driving to the airport.

Can this not be a Trump thread, please, show a bit of respect.

Also, thread titles needs updating, clear this is an attack, and fatalities confirmed.

If you think his words won't have any effect on the matter at hand I don't know what else to say to you.

I'm done trying. RIP to the victims, I'm out.
Yes, his words have zero effect on the Spanish trying to deal with this situation.

So in 2001 we had planes and in 2017 we have cars and trucks.

I wonder what's next.
It's scary stuff. These lunatics can go off at any moment. From grabbing a knife in a supermarket to driving a van into a crowd. How do we even being to protect ourselves against this.

Ferr986

If you think his words won't have any effect on the matter at hand I don't know what else to say to you.

I'm done trying. RIP to the victims, I'm out.

How are Trump words gonna affect anything in Spain?

Seriously, stop thinking the US is the center of the world.

Looking at the twitter videos... I would be glad if I'm wrong

I mean, I agree with you, but I'm gonna wait for the reports before giving any number :(

I'll never understand why you would post footage of the victims from these attacks on social media.

Imagine a family member that doesn't know something happened sees their dead parents or whatever in a video on twitter.

Just don't do that man.

Mohonky

Why can't I report a posts to moderators.

Can a moderator please do something about the Trump posts that have to come up everytime we have anything happen even outside the US ffs?

Eria

How are Trump words gonna affect anything in Spain?

Seriously, stop thinking the US is the center of the world.

I mean, I agree with you, but I'm gonna wait for the reports before giving any number :(

Yeah sure, I hope everything its fine but look at this

https://twitter.com/mossos/status/898217661406085120

They are already talking about "victims" (plural)... And just reading some other spanish forums doesn't make me feel confident

warthog

Low life pieces of shit, I hope they burn well.

Rest in peace to those killed and my condolences to their families.

Why? I don't get it.

Top Bottom