• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least thirteen dead as van hits crowds in Barcelona

This will be horribly cynical of me, but I'm glad a friend of mine who usually lives in Barcelona is currently on holiday in the Netherlands.

Hope they catch the fuckers that did this.

Pretty horrible, isn't August the time of year when a lot of Europeans go on vacation too?

I think the concern among terrorism experts is not your risks of death by random terrorist attack, which is exceedingly low and indeed much higher by car, slipping, lightning strike, etc.

The issue is that these kind of attacks tend to escalate asymmetrically. Basic guns, bombs, and vehicle attacks. Then suddenly 3 jets are used as missiles. Guns, bombs, and vehicles again for a decade or three. Then suddenly a dirty radioactive bomb detonates in a city center and 100k people are killed. That's the big issue and fear, when will the next escalation be and what method will it be.

Its also tough because penetrating Islamic terror cells can be exceedingly difficult for western intelligence organizations, since they will be very small and involve people who may have known each other all their lives. Western terrorist groups - IRA, Basque seperatists, Greek terrorists, and of course white nationalists in USA are much easier to monitor and their relatives are much more likely to know somethings up and give them up if a horrendous mass attack is planned.

I'm afraid a can of worms has been opened that we will not be able to close for years and years. There are too many people we can be radicalized and cause damage.

I'm afraid so as well. But there has been a time that these attacks didn't happen that often. There have been times that countries like France, Germany, Spain, etc were not coping with these kind of attacks and certainly not at the rate they are happening now. I really wonder where this increase comes from and especially why. :(

Ydelnae

Nearly 20 heavily wound people (children too), 3 already confirmed dead. Police knows it's a terrorist attack since the man who was driving the man was already being investigated by the antiterrorism forces. Source is national TV.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Maybe vehicle terrorist attacks have always been a thing, but it's seem to have become much more prominent in the past year.

To clarify I don't mean bombs in vehicles, I mean using the vehicle AS the weapon.

I made a thread the other week that got me 'juniored' because I dared make a thread that was immediately followed by the standard kneejerk before reading and viewing for context brigade jumped all over me before any viable discussion took place.

It WAS about looking into why these things happen with respect to the cultural, social and economical roots. The signs, the symptoms, how it comes about, how there are questions not raised for fear of being labelled as being racist or bigoted.

I bring that up because I am still annoyed by how people on here (and moderators) refuse to actual enter into discussions without bothering to understand the context preferring instead freak out into emotionally charged outbursts or perceive it to be an attack on their personal agenda without actually engaging in any form of coherent discussion to actually look into what the thread is about.
You need a special lack of human decency to make this thread about your poor, hurt, whiny ego.

ecosse_011172

Fuck sake horrible

I get a flight here in 12 hours time and one of my first places to go would be the ramblas.

Dunno what to do now

The ramblas shouldn't be one of the first places to go, it's tacky, pointless and a paradise for pickpocketers. I'd avoid it at the best of times, it's an amazing city with so many better places.

Violet_0

Banned
terrorists use whatever means available to kill people that they have easy access to. You can rent a truck and drive into a crowd, killing dozens. That's all there is to it

Maybe vehicle terrorist attacks have always been a thing, but it's seem to have become much more prominent in the past year.

To clarify I don't mean bombs in vehicles, I mean using the vehicle AS the weapon.

Well, we just had a Neo-Nazi in the US plow into a protest crowd with his vehicle this past weekend, killing a woman.

It seems to be the terrorist weapon of choice now.

Cappa

Banned
I'm afraid so as well. But there has been a time that these attacks didn't happen that often. There have been times that countries like France, Germany, Spain, etc were not coping with these kind of attacks and certainly not at the rate they are happening now. I really wonder where this increase comes from and especially why. :(
Terrorism related incidents have actually gone down in Europe people only relate Islamic centered attacks to terrorism and forget there is other types of terrorism out there.

They are definitely not occurring at an alarming rate when you compare it to terrorism related incidents in the 80s and 90s. You just think it's happening more often because it's recent and because of shit like Twitter and Facebook but all this talk about Europe being unsafe is complete hyperbole.

shandy706

My college's basketball team is there right now, Clemson, but they're saying they are safe.

Edit* Their game has been canceled. They'll be flying back tomorrow morning it appears.

Radicalisation is roaming free across the world and the middle East is especially a mess right now. And don't get me started on Saudi Arabia.

These people are still fighting a holy war and they have probably powerful backers.

Dierce

Social media. These horrendous individuals with psychopathic tendencies are indoctrinated through social media and brought together to commit these heinous acts. Every time this happens I also place the blame on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to name a few. They have done nothing positive to our society.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This type of shit hurts a lot more when it's in a place you know so intimately.

Fucking hell.

pulsemyne

The video going around on twitter is absolutely horrible. How someone can rationally choose to do this to people is just crazy. Little kids dead etc.

Roufianos

Its also tough because penetrating Islamic terror cells can be exceedingly difficult for western intelligence organizations, since they will be very small and involve people who may have known each other all their lives. Western terrorist groups - IRA, Basque seperatists, Greek terrorists, and of course white nationalists in USA are much easier to monitor and their relatives are much more likely to know somethings up and give them up if a horrendous mass attack is planned.

Greek terrorists? Where?

RM8

FUCK people. UGH.

Realmente no sé qué más decir, creo que voy a dejar de leer noticias mundiales por un tiempo :(

Audioboxer

Just heard about this after dinner, horrible. Looks like children may have been killed too.

Live updates on the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/40966524

It appears the attackers have hostages just now, right? Hope the Spanish forces can take them down and save the hostages.

EPN3E0E.png

With the distance travelled it could be more deaths to come.

Top Bottom