• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least thirteen dead as van hits crowds in Barcelona

Ydelnae

Police keeps asking to not post in social media the current location of forces trying to locate the missing terrorist yet the media seems to be delivering the opposite message. There's a lot of confusion right now since police said that it's safe to leave but some news reports keep insisting that another attack might be happening in a nearby mall.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Police keeps asking to not post in social media the current location of forces trying to locate the missing terrorist yet the media seems to be delivering the opposite message. There's a lot of confusion right now since police said that it's safe to leave but some news report keep insisting that another attack might be happening in a nearby mall.

Oh fuck me. As always with these stories, things seem to get worse and worse as more information comes out.

Saw 2 videos and man, not suprised the death count is that high, the speed that van had to be in to cause that amount of damage , I can only imagine

Audioboxer

Holy shit that's a long way....

In what appears to be a highly populated area too

YiwDJQw.png

Unfortunately, the death count may get even higher. Tragic.

I refuse to watch any videos so just going on the info the BBC has posted about the distance travelled and it being highly populated.

sad sad sad stuff

this shit does not look like it will end soon

edit

the "me""me""me""my trip""my holydays""trump here trump there" posts are shameful

My condolences. :(

I'm afraid we're going to have to alter our cities to try and minimize this sort of attack, I think Israel has dealt with these for years now...

trembli0s

Dude.

First it's entirely possible it's Spanish terrorists, there is a history of that

And second. What

Doesn't make much sense to claim ETA on this one. Catalan separatism doesn't exactly align as an opposite to Basque separatism

LiK

No one has taken responsibility yet. Don't jump to conclusions on who did it until it has been confirmed.

sflufan

Banned
Dude.

First it's entirely possible it's Spanish terrorists, there is a history of that

And second. What

While it is "possible" that the perpetrators may be ETA or another Spanish extremist group, the likelihood of that being the case is relatively small. This type of attack simply does not match the profile of past attacks by Spanish groups like ETA while it does match the profile of recent attacks by ISIL-inspired Islamists (or American neo-Nazis).

This is Spain guys, we don't know if its ISIS or not. There are a number of different groups that could be responsible and have done terrorist attacks before.

While it is "possible" that the perpetrators may be ETA or another Spanish extremist group, the likelihood of that being the case is relatively small. This type of attack simply does not match the profile of past attacks by Spanish groups while it does match the profile of recent attacks by ISIL-inspired Islamists (or American neo-Nazis).

You are right it doesn't match the profile of prior Spanish terrorist groups but that doesn't mean they can't see how easy and effective the car attacks are and copy it.

I'm not claiming anything. Im just saying it isn't time to start screaming about "islamists" yet.
To be fair, there's not much to do except keep watching as events unfold and hope for as few casualties as possible.

But yeah, seeing that trajectory on the map, it's bound to be pretty grim.

God, I hate these assholes.

thekenta

In what appears to be a highly populated area too

YiwDJQw.png

Unfortunately, the death count may get even higher. Tragic.

I refuse to watch any videos so just going on the info the BBC has posted about the distance travelled and it being highly populated.

It's the most populated area in the city.
Was there just yesterday.

Shame this happened to my favourite city in Europe. Stay safe, Barcelona GAF.

manfestival

whats the best source to keep track of this? im at work and most of the major news sites that would keep track of this are blocked for me

Dehnus

I guess we should just ban all vehicles from city centers by now, people just are idiotic enough to use them as fucking weapons.

Horrible stuff, if it is an ETA attack, then I hope they just hold the guy in charge responsible and give him the highest sentence possible, in case of ISIS, make sure you get that bastard hiding in the desert somewhere with all his child sex slaves :(.

Time to make those in power responsible for the actions of their followers! From politicians to terrorist groups. The punishment should mirror the punishment of the perpetrator.

My condolences. :(

I'm afraid we're going to have to alter our cities to try and minimize this sort of attack, I think Israel has dealt with these for years now...

Being vulnerable to a terror attack is the sad price of freedom. We can put barriers on busy pedestrian streets, but turning all cities into fortresses is not an answer. The only way is to destroy the allure of extremism.

Arjen

Damn, when i was there a couple weeks ago me and my friends talked about how awfull it would be if such an attack would happen there :( stay safe Spain GAF

MKIL65

Cromofo just couldn't hold back, he had to burst out the word "islam" at least.

Even when we don't know who the perpetrators are...

The Lamp

At least I have faith in Barcelona taking measures to prevent this. They're a world gem in terms of urban planning and infrastructure design. They will probably restrict cars even more from pedestrian areas and install concrete pillars at areas where cars could enter sidewalks or pedestrian centers.

Stay safe, Spain. My bf and I were in Barcelona last month

trembli0s

This is Spain guys, we don't know if its ISIS or not. There are a number of different groups that could be responsible and have done terrorist attacks before.

You are right it doesn't match the profile of prior Spanish terrorist groups but that doesn't mean they can't see how easy and effective the car attacks are and copy it.

It just doesn't make sense period. ETA is a nominally separatist movement. Catalunya is a province in Spain which is about to go through with its own separatist referendum. If the attack happened in Madrid there might be an angle for an ETA attack but this doesn't fit because there really isn't a motive for ETA to attack a place like Barcelona.

Top Bottom