• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari announces Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit for the XBOX 360/PS3 (PR)

Scribble

Snaku said:
You say that like it's a bad thing. I'm glad they're changing it up, as three straight games of Sparking gameplay was enough for me.

Changing it up by going for a more conventional play style?

Snaku

Banned
Scribble said:
Changing it up by going for a more conventional play style?

One could say the Budokai gameplay was just beginning to get really good with Budokai 3. Many have been wanting a true console sequel to that game, but have had to wait three years as Bandai Namco milked Sparking (which really hasn't made much, if any, gameplay improvements from game to game and was always about squeezing in more characters) to death. At this point, what else is left to do in Sparking? A lot of DB fans are becoming very tired of it.

Personally, other than a true Budokai 3 sequel, I've been wanting a next gen Dragon Ball adventure game. The story of the original Dragon Ball lends itself so well to a Beyond Good & Evil/Zelda/etc. type action adventure game design, that I can't believe Bandai Namco hasn't figured it out yet.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Well here is the hopes of hopes that they actually keep the Japanese VA and music! I highly doubt it.

Teknoman

Elbrain said:
Well here is the hopes of hopes that they actually keep the Japanese VA and music! I highly doubt it.

Japanese VA is a no brainer for DBZ games these days. The music though, I dunno. I dont think the Budokai 1-3 games had japanese music even in japan (aside from Head Cha la for Budokai 1, and those original intros for 2 and 3 which made it into other regions releases). Though I hope they keep that intro song for Burst Limit that was in the first trailer.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Teknoman said:
Japanese VA is a no brainer for DBZ games these days. The music though, I dunno. I dont think the Budokai 1-3 games had japanese music even in japan (aside from Head Cha la for Budokai 1, and those original intros for 2 and 3 which made it into other regions releases). Though I hope they keep that intro song for Burst Limit that was in the first trailer.

Yeah that intro one was pretty cool.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
After watching the video it looks freaking nice! It seems that they have sped up the game play a bit which looks nice. BTW I did not notice in this video the whole punching through people like in the first video they showed of the game. Like in the anime after a crazy punch you could see it coming out in their backs hopefully this was just some early stuff.

rkenshin

Snaku said:
Personally, other than a true Budokai 3 sequel, I've been wanting a next gen Dragon Ball adventure game. The story of the original Dragon Ball lends itself so well to a Beyond Good & Evil/Zelda/etc. type action adventure game design, that I can't believe Bandai Namco hasn't figured it out yet.

They're too busy with making that MMO DBZ (or was that cancelled?)

Teknoman

Cant wait to get some detailed online impressions. BT3 Wii really dissapointed me with its incredibly lag/strange framerate slowdown. No one's taken responsibility for that one yet (Well Nintendo said they were aware of the problem and provided Atari with information on how they could remedy the problem...) and it was especially disheartening after seeing Smash Bros perform flawlessly online. Oh well, now just to play the waiting game.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Teknoman said:
Man FINALLY they did away with the analog spinning mechanic for struggles. That stuff really made me fear for my controllers.
That looked awesome. I need DBZ limit inside me.

Goku doing backflips as he backs away was badass. Also the auras are the best they've ever been.

Snaku

Banned
153ad4w.jpg

11hsaa8.jpg

2nuk9bk.jpg

Teknoman

Nice early through Cell Saga confirmed, and a friggin outer space earth orbit stage :D

Is that June 5th 2008 or May 6th 2008? I forget the japanese date arrangement. Might just end up importing this if the online support works to connect all versions. That and if the original japanese music is in. If not i'll just wait for the english version.

raYne

Teknoman said:
Nice early through Cell Saga confirmed, and a friggin outer space earth orbit stage :D
It'd be cool if you were able to blow up the Earth with a missed beam attack.

...:lol

Snaku

Banned
http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_avances.php?id=cw47bac16e36ccc&idj=cw476224a3d5b8c&pic=PS3

- Modes: Story, Versus (against CPU, Player, Online), Trial Mode, Practice Mode, Options

- The game uses re-mastered versions of the most popular tracks from the anime BG music.

- The game in inspired by both the anime and manga.

- There are lots of what if's; these are triggered according to how the battles go.

- Cut scenes ("Drama Pieces") are completely integrated into game play.

- The game runs at 720p (1080p not available).

- Game is being developed on PS3 and ported to 360.

- Movement is similar to the Shin Budokai series, characters can move freely in 3D, not just sidestepping.

- Ki is being changed a bit. Super moves like the Genkidama cannot be used over and over as these are very powerful and energy consuming attacks.

- Those little icons under the health gauge are called "Power Ups". The player will be able to choose these before a match and they'll affect the drama pieces during the fight. Example: you choose a senzu power up and another character pops up during game play throwing the senzu at you when you trigger the item.

- The graphical engine used is called "High Quality Toon Shading" and was developed for this new series of DBZ games.

- Sound is in Dolby Digital.

- Story mode is presented well and cut scenes between battles tie up the action to the point that game play does not feel like a continuous series of fights.

Snaku

Banned
raYne said:

It remains to be seen if Atari will keep them for the US release. Their track record in the past points to an emphatic no. At the very least we know they'll cut out Hironobu Kageyama's new song.

Which means I'm importing the PS3 version.

Teknoman

Snaku said:
It remains to be seen if Atari will keep them for the US release. Their track record in the past points to an emphatic no. At the very least we know they'll cut out Hironobu Kageyama's new song.

Which means I'm importing the PS3 version.

Same here. Importing the PS3 version in a flash (thank you next gen region free!) if Atari decides to be asses once more. Even Funimation has uncut dvd releases with both english voices and JP music at once.

Teknoman

Anyone else have experience with Japanese games that have online modes? Aside from FFXI of course, are they usually compatible with the NA or EU versions?

I might hold out for the English version and hope that original songs will be on it.

I am excited and I guess I was right when I thought it was only until the end of the Cell arc, but maybe it will have some characters from after.

35 characters is good, the Tenkaichi games have like 150 or something, but most there are joke characters anyway.

Teknoman

Linkzg said:
I might hold out for the English version and hope that original songs will be on it.

I am excited and I guess I was right when I thought it was only until the end of the Cell arc, but maybe it will have some characters from after.

35 characters is good, the Tenkaichi games have like 150 or something, but most there are joke characters anyway.

Well yeah that would be the best course of action. Im not importing as soon as it releases...but it will take a little restraint if I find out the english release isnt until...October or something like that. Then again they already seem to have english voices intact in Burst Limit videos...except without music....so maybe they are close.

Would be nice if the japanese version had an english language option, at least for the menu information.

Snaku

Banned
Teknoman said:
Would be nice if the japanese version had an english language option, at least for the menu information.

I'm hoping so, but I'll take Japanese music & VAs over crappy English music & VAs.

These are the characters in the first PS2 Budokai, which also went only as far as the Cell Saga:

Android #16
Android #17
Android #18
Android #19
Captain Ginyu
Cell
Dodoria
Frieza
Goku
Great Saiyaman
Hercule
Kid Gohan
Krillin
Nappa
Piccolo
Raditz
Recoome
Teen Gohan
Tien
Trunks
Vegeta
Yamcha
Zarbon

23 characters. Without Saiyaman, you'd have 22. Add Roshi, Yajirobi, Chaotzu and the remaining 3 Ginyu members and you're still only at 28. I wonder if they'll include DB or DBZ characters from the Buu Saga.

Snaku said:
I'm hoping so, but I'll take Japanese music & VAs over crappy English music & VAs.

yeah, for me I would actually take original music over japanese VA. I mean, other than the cutscenes there wont be much talking, but there will always be music playing.

Since I would have to get the 360 version let's just hope its region free and includes multi language on the same dvd *fingers crossed* :lol

Snaku

Banned
Linkzg said:
yeah, for me I would actually take original music over japanese VA. I mean, other than the cutscenes there wont be much talking, but there will always be music playing.

Funi's VAs are just too grating to me. I couldn't even take their grunts & yells during gameplay. But from what I understand there will be a lot of cutscenes with full voice acting in this, and I'd prefer to listen to the extremely talented Masako Nozawa & co. over Sean Schemmel's band of street walkers turned "actors."

Teknoman

Whats the usual turn over on how long it takes a DBZ fighter once completed, to reach overseas? Since Burst Limit is releasing there in June, would it be reasonable to expect a July North American release? Just wondering how soon it'll be until we start seeing gameplay videos with music in them so I can make my decision.

Then again...with the 360 theres the option of custom soundtracks...but I plan on getting it on the PS3.

AmMortal

Banned
I love DBZ to death, but the games are just like ..meh.. now.
They should have started with the tenkaichi series and given us the ability to make our own characters, but off course milking us by releasing more an more characters is juuuuuust ..fine..

Buu + GT would be win. Would be awesome to revisit DBZ after so many years!

one can hope, right?

Looks awesome nonetheless. I just hope they don't keep having Kamehameha be like the best move and the easiest to execute.

They said in the gamespot video that it is upto the end of Cell arc for the story mode, so yeah, no Buu stuff unless it is extra.

also, multi regional online play and both english and japanese VA in the game. They didnt talk about music.

Teknoman

Linkzg said:
They said in the gamespot video that it is upto the end of Cell arc for the story mode, so yeah, no Buu stuff unless it is extra.

also, multi regional online play and both english and japanese VA in the game. They didnt talk about music.

Yes! So if I do in fact end up importing the PS3 version because of the music, then I should still be able to fight against friends in NA and EU?

EDIT: Good lord...that looks even better than I thought it would. Even the guy watching was like "Wow...this is SO sharp!" Hell you can even see Kami's look out in the background :D

However...since Donny Clay said it...it may not be true. He's been known for flat out lying about features.

Snaku

Banned
Linkzg said:
They didnt talk about music.

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume the worst, and import. Besides, this guy is an Atari mouthpiece, and Atari has nothing to do with this game other than distributing the US version. I'll be taking his word with a huge grain of salt.

They had better have the Japanese score and voiceovers in the US release since I'll be getting this on the 360. Other than that, there's little for me to complain about. The game looks slick as hell and online play is always good. I've been a fan of the series for a long while now, but never played any of the previous games, so this should be a fresh experience for me. I don't mind at all that they only go up to the Cell saga, (my favorite of the four), as I don't particularly care for the Buu arc. For me, all it was good for was the Majin Vegeta VS Goku fight and the motherfuckin' end-all and be-all VEGETTO.

Teknoman

Spaceman Spiff said:
They had better have the Japanese score and voiceovers in the US release since I'll be getting this on the 360. Other than that, there's little for me to complain about. The game looks slick as hell and online play is always good. I've been a fan of the series for a long while now, but never played any of the previous games, so this should be a fresh experience for me. I don't mind at all that they only go up to the Cell saga, (my favorite of the four), as I don't particularly care for the Buu arc. For me, all it was good for was the Majin Vegeta VS Goku fight and the motherfuckin' end-all and be-all VEGETTO.

Well yeah JP voices are in the US release, but as always the score is a toss up. Though at least with 360, all you need is to create a custom DB classic playlist. Of course that doesnt really solve the right music playing at the right time.

bumpkin

Teknoman said:

Is that June 5th 2008 or May 6th 2008? I forget the japanese date arrangement. Might just end up importing this if the online support works to connect all versions. That and if the original japanese music is in. If not i'll just wait for the english version.
The game looks absolutely phenomenal; this may be a buy for me after having passed on all three Tenkaichi games. The only thing that's a little disappointing is that it doesn't just cover the whole saga. It seems like a reason to release a "Burst Limit 2" that has from beyond Cell to the end of the Kid Buu saga. I was really hoping the game would be all-encompassing.

Souther

Banned
So what happens when you end a Aura Rush and smash the guy down on the outer space stage? Does he fall all the way down to earth?

Souther

Banned
I always thought 1 of the best quotes....from Nappa actually, is...

Nappa: Yep. Its hard being a role model. Little punks lookin up to ya.

Teknoman

Souther said:
So what happens when you end a Aura Rush and smash the guy down on the outer space stage? Does he fall all the way down to earth?

They probably eventually do that ki force stop. The one where it seems like they hit a cushion of air to stop their momentum.

Top Bottom