• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atheism vs Theism |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Are you open to the possibility that the nature of evidence itself is flawed?

Only if you're willing to accept that our senses are constantly lying to us and everything we think we know about the functioning of our existence is false. But then if we all assumed that, there'd be no reason to ever attempt to discover anything again and scientific progress would come to a screeching halt. What good does it do to think in such a way?

Ashes

Banned
Not really no. The interpretation of evidence perhaps, but the concept of things being able to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt is not flawed.

~That's not a slanted look at all. :p

Only if you're willing to accept that our senses are constantly lying to us and everything we think we know about the functioning of our existence is false. But then if we all assumed that, there'd be no reason to ever attempt to discover anything again and scientific progress would come to a screeching halt. What good does it do to think in such a way?

Hmm... Second sentence doesn't necessarily lead from the first though. So the third sentence, - the rhetorical question is kind of a mute point.

Log4Girlz

~That's not a slanted look at all. :p

Well, "evidence" can be interpreted by various people in various ways. This is why we have experts who specialize in certain fields. Like, I may stumble upon a murder scene, and though there is plenty of evidence that the individual was killed in a very particular fashion within a certain time frame, I would have no idea how to interpret it, while a detective can start to solve the riddle.

I must assume logic and reason are real, valuable concepts.

Feep

Banned
Are you open to the possibility that the nature of evidence itself is flawed?
Like others are saying, this makes no sense. If nothing is able to logically prove anything else, well, there's really no point in any quest for knowledge, since nothing can possibly show one thing to be true and another false.

Ashes

Banned
It really isn't. It would be impossible to know if the nature of evidence was flawed if that evidence was all we had. Your point is, well, pointless.

Consider the possibility of secondary universes, and Aliens. We do not have evidence of their existence, but we also have evidence that they may exist.

imtehman

Banned
The source is the observable universe. Until someone can prove this being which has been asserted by billions exists, I will make the assumption it does not exist.

I will also assume there are no leprechauns.

I will also assume I am not just a brain in a vat.

I am open to evidence though.

the bible is a history book. Jewish people are evidence.

They came from somewhere. They had a beginning. They recorded their beginnings in thier writings, that writings became the old testament.

You celebrate the 4th of July, why? Because its a tradition that been passed down from generation to generation of an event that happened in the past. There's evidence of the 4th of July such as the declaration of independence.

The Jews today still celebrate the Passover why? Because its a tradition that has been passed down from generation to generation of an event that happened in the past. There's evidence that it happened, it was written by a man named Moses who then passed it down to a whole nation of people who passed it down to successive generations which today is called the Old Testament.

Log4Girlz

Like others are saying, this makes no sense. If nothing is able to logically prove anything else, well, there's really no point in any quest for knowledge, since nothing can possible show one thing to be true and another be false.

And this is what religious people are willing to stoop down to...questioning reality itself. They will bend and warp all logic and reason, sweep it aside so that their god may exist exactly as they expect it to.

Ashes

Banned
And this is what religious people are willing to stoop down to...questioning reality itself. They will bend and warp all logic and reason, sweep it aside so that their god may exist exactly as they expect it to.

I didn't take you for one that throws around ad hominems. Nevertheless, if you aren't open to such things you should just say so, instead of moving the goal post.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Hmm... Second sentence doesn't necessarily lead from the first though. So the third sentence, - the rhetorical question is kind of a mute point.

If we all had the sudden realization that all evidence was rendered worthless due to its inherently flawed nature, there would no longer be any reason to use evidence. Since evidence is the basis on which we do science, and science yeilds discoveries and progress, society, along with every logic based system of rationality, would collapse. However this entire approach holds no worth because in reality there would be no way to make that determination in the first place.

Log4Girlz

They came from somewhere. They had a beginning. They recorded their beginnings in thier writings, that writings became the old testament.

The bible is a mythological book. Jewish people are not evidence, no more so than Grecians are evidence of olympic gods.

You celebrate the 4th of July, why? Because its a tradition that been passed down from generation to generation of an event that happened in the past. There's evidence of the 4th of July such as the declaration of independence.

The 4th of July did happen, but aliens did not try to invade as the movie Independence Day implies. We all know that movie was a documentary.

The Jews today still celebrate the Passover why? Because its a tradition that has been passed down from generation to generation of an event that happened in the past. There's evidence that it happened, it was written by a man named Moses who then passed it down to a whole nation of people who passed it down to successive generations which today is called the Old Testament.

A tradition started in a time and place when people attributed all phenomena to the supernatural. What the original event may have actually been and the details of such has been lost long ago and has been replaced by a mythological tale.

Much like the life of Jesus. He has been deified.

Who knows, perhaps the olympic gods, hindu gods were very powerful families who had incredible influence on their people...and eventually stories about them became steeped in mysticism.

As I have asserted earlier, you do not know what evidence is or you are a troll.

I didn't take you for one that throws around ad hominems. Nevertheless, if you aren't open to such things you should just say so, instead of moving the goal post.

How am I moving a goal post? I ask for evidence, you ask if I believe there's the possibility if evidence is flawed. What is the purpose of that question? To question reality itself. If the concept of evidence can be flawed, then goodness, of course evidence could never be presented of a god!

You can add to that or correct me if you wish.

Erigu

Consider the possibility of secondary universes, and Aliens. We do not have evidence of their existence, but we also have evidence that they may exist.
I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "evidence"...

If a book out there says rabbits were originally dragons who were turned into cute little animals by a witch, does that book constitute evidence it all happened? I mean, rabbits do exist, so...!

imtehman

Banned
The bible is a mythological book. Jewish people are not evidence, no more so than Grecians are evidence of olympic gods.

I didn't say the Jews is proof that God exists. I said the Jews are proof that the old testament is proof that its legitimate.

Did the Grecians have any written history about them selves that they continue to celebrate today?

GrizzNKev

Banned

Where in the Declaration of Independence are there transforming beasts, talking fires, or any of the other wild supernatural occurrences contained within the bible? If the bible is an accurate documentation of history, did magic just die out and stop happening? The influence of a book is not a measure of its historical accuracy or basis in reality.

Lots of people like to dress up as Harry Potter and act like wizards. This is a tradition that started because people read the Harry Potter books. It is proof that the Harry Potter books are an accurate documentation of history. It influences people in the present, thus it happened.

Log4Girlz

It goes something like this.

Oh, you silly atheists and your insistence that we provide evidence for our supernatural claims! What if evidence itself is flawed. What if no evidence can ever be presented? Naturally the sheer grandeur of god may never be revealed to you then, as evidence will never be provided.

This is what we think when such questions are asked. Why can't there be simple evidence of a god? Why are there no formulas, no mathematical equations supporting its existence?

Why do so many claim their specific religious book is some unedited, accurate, historical account of supernatural events without any evidence to justify such claims?

We ask for evidence, and someone points to their holy book and usually regurgitates some line of reasoning similar to imtehman "Well this holy book says so, so like, see that's the evidence...you are just denying cold hard proof of this book's divinity if you do not assume it is divine in nature. THE EVIDENCE IS THE CLAIM *shyamalanpancakeflip.gif*

Ashes

Banned
How am I moving a goal post? I ask for evidence, you ask if I believe there's the possibility if evidence is flawed. What is the purpose of that question? To question reality itself. If the concept of evidence can be flawed, then goodness, of course evidence could never be presented of a god!

You can add to that or correct me if you wish.

No this is fine. I just wanted you to be open to the possibility that the nature of evidence itself can be flawed. I don't see any reason not to question everything, reality if need be.

Ashes

Banned
I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "evidence"...

Goodness! true, I don't know anything [and actually I know a good deal less then the concept of anything]. Care to explain what you may know that I will not. And support your thesis with evidence. :p

Log4Girlz

I didn't say the Jews is proof that God exists. I said the Jews are proof that the old testament is proof that its legitimate.

Did the Grecians have any written history about them selves that they continue to celebrate today?

Evidence that my claim is factual? Well, look at those people, they have a tradition and they make claims of the supernatural. There is your evidence log, evidence for the supernatural. THE CLAIM IS THE EVIDENCE. I claim a certain history/tradition/people is supernatural in nature, and to prove it, look they've been claiming a supernatural origin for a long time. Word of mouth is best evidence.

Log4Girlz

No this is fine. I just wanted you to be open to the possibility that the nature of evidence itself can be flawed. I don't see any reason not to question everything, reality if need be.

There are certain assumptions we must all make in life. Not all assumptions are equal. The assumption that reality is knowable to a degree is one we are forced to make, otherwise we delve into madness. "Evidence" as defined below:

"The available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid"

Is inextricably linked to our concept of reality. Facts, information, observable phenomena, these must exist as incorruptible concepts. If someone comes along and asks "But what if "facts" do not exist, what if there is no such thing as a fact", then we are allowing ourselves to delve into madness.

This is how I feel.

Erigu

I just wanted you to be open to the possibility that the nature of evidence itself can be flawed. I don't see any reason not to question everything, reality if need be.
Again: somehow, I find it hard to believe you're not working from the assumption reality exists.

GrizzNKev

Banned

So you've presented this concept. Now how does agreeing with it support what you're trying to tell us?

If reality doesn't exist, then what? What point have you made in the context of this thread?

Ashes

Banned
There are certain assumptions we must all make in life. Not all assumptions are equal. The assumption that reality is knowable to a degree is one we are forced to make, otherwise we delve into madness. "Evidence" as defined below:

"The available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid"

Is inextricably linked to our concept of reality. Facts, information, observable phenomena, these must exist as incorruptible concepts. If someone comes along and asks "But what if "facts" do not exist, what if there is no such thing as a fact", then we are allowing ourselves to delve into madness.

This is how I feel.

Fair enough.

Ashes

Banned
Again: somehow, I find it hard to believe you're not working from the assumption reality exists.

So you've presented this concept. Now how does agreeing with it support what you're trying to tell us?

If reality doesn't exist, then what? What point have you made in the context of this thread?

I thought it was obvious? I suppose I'm just another dodgy theist who has a problem with Evidentialism. :/

Never mind. Of all the groups in this context, one would have expected atheists to be a friend to philosophers questioning everything, rather then a friend to their own closed minds/environments. ;)

Bye for now thread. Again.

EliCash

It goes something like this.

Oh, you silly atheists and your insistence that we provide evidence for our supernatural claims! What if evidence itself is flawed. What if no evidence can ever be presented? Naturally the sheer grandeur of god may never be revealed to you then, as evidence will never be provided.

This is what we think when such questions are asked. Why can't there be simple evidence of a god? Why are there no formulas, no mathematical equations supporting its existence?

Why do so many claim their specific religious book is some unedited, accurate, historical account of supernatural events without any evidence to justify such claims?

We ask for evidence, and someone points to their holy book and usually regurgitates some line of reasoning similar to imtehman "Well this holy book says so, so like, see that's the evidence...you are just denying cold hard proof of this book's divinity if you do not assume it is divine in nature. THE EVIDENCE IS THE CLAIM *shyamalanpancakeflip.gif*

Yea, that's why I stopped entering these threads. You guys have the patience of saints, ironically.

I feel like there should be a FAQ post at the start of these threads, the questions followed by well reasoned answers. Then the discussion can stem from those answers rather than people just asking the same questions over and over again. I know that in practice that would never happen.

Feep

Banned
the bible is a history book. Jewish people are evidence
As a (cultural) Jew, uh...what?

It is not evidence of any kind. The story of Passover in particular is a hilarious example, since there is absolutely no evidence that any of that story actually occurred. If a large group of people spends forty years wandering around a desert, you'd think they'd leave some traces. Nope.

Log4Girlz

I thought it was obvious? I suppose I'm just another dodgy theist who has a problem with Evidentialism. :/

Never mind. Of all the groups in this context, one would have expected atheists to be a friend to philosophers questioning everything, rather then a friend to their own closed minds/environments. ;)

I leave from time to time, so I understand.

But ultimately, not everything should be questioned in my opinion, because it can become absurd. The ultimate example would be the "brain in a vat" concept. What if everything you know is a lie? Much like the movie the matrix. What if everything is artificial, then what good is evidence of something if that something is arbitrary? That is what ultimately occurs, everything, all of reality then becomes arbitrary and nonsensical.

GrizzNKev

Banned

I have no problem with questioning everything, if purely for the sake of an entertaining discussion, but exploring that says nothing about religion or nonreligion and would make everyone equally wrong because we make those determinations based on the assumption that reality exists. It is an infinitely inconclusive topic that serves little more purpose than saying "it would be cool if..." or "wouldn't it be crazy if..." Perhaps you just asked it in the wrong time and place.

Log4Girlz

Ashes do you value the following:

Logic

Reason

Critical thinking

Skepticism

Look, I'm no intellectual heavy weight by any means, but I would like to know. Naturally, there would be follow up questions.

Rapstah

Let's presume that no evidence matters because our perception is inherently flawed. How does that change the existence of a god? If there is nothing pointing to the existencence of a divine force, removing the importance of evidence still leaves it as the same plane of unprovenness you have now brought everything else to.

Log4Girlz

Let's presume that no evidence matters because our perception is inherently flawed. How does that change the existence of a god? If there is nothing pointing to the existencence of a divine force, removing the importance of evidence still leaves it as the same plane of unprovenness you have now brought everything else to.

It explains why evidence cannot be provided to explain a god, because evidence itself is flawed. Therefore, if evidence itself is flawed, demanding evidence for claims would become meaningless, and a god can be asserted without evidence.

For many religious people (I am not singling out Ashes), in fact I would say the vast majority, believing has equal merit as factual knowledge. Believing is the same as knowing.

imtehman

Banned
Evidence that my claim is factual? Well, look at those people, they have a tradition and they make claims of the supernatural. There is your evidence log, evidence for the supernatural. THE CLAIM IS THE EVIDENCE. I claim a certain history/tradition/people is supernatural in nature, and to prove it, look they've been claiming a supernatural origin for a long time. Word of mouth is best evidence.

The people who wrote the bible must of gotten lucky so many times then since a lot of what we know today has been proven in the bible.

How lucky of them that they wrote something about the world being flooded to explain away dinosaurs even though the people that wrote genesis probably never seen a dinosaur bone.

If the bible didn't have anything that could explain why dinosaurs are extinct, you'd have a point, but there is your evidence again for the legitimacy of the bible.

7 day week cycle? Yeah, its in the bible too. Even today you live your life according to a seven day week cycle. I wonder why that is? The bible writers must of gotten lucky on that one too.

Did you know the bible also knew that fruits and vegetables were good for you without science telling you about antioxidants and all that good stuff? Maybe they got lucky with that stuff too.

Or maybe the bible got lucky when 2400 years before science figured out the earth was round that

Isaiah 40:20
It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

meh, lucky.

AND THen you have bible prophecy.

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

lucky right?

27 percent of the bible has to do with prophecy so hey, start studying =)

And don't let me get into the archeaological evidence.

This is all evidence that comes together and just keeps adding up. there's so much more

but the thing is, the bible was compiled thousands of years apart by different authors in different time periods yet it is cohesive and united in its scope over the most controversial topic in the world, God.

Lucky right?

How lucky of them that they wrote something about the world being flooded to explain away dinosaurs even though the people that wrote genesis probably never seen a dinosaur bone.

I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to connect here.

Of course other writers of other bygone eras with less information wouldn't know about dinosaurs.

What you've essentially said here is "there's no way that dinosaurs could be written about later on if the earlier authors didn't know about dinosaurs".

Did you know the bible also knew that fruits and vegetables were good for you without science telling you about antioxidants and all that good stuff? Maybe they got lucky with that stuff too.

People can figure stuff out?

The bottom line is that it's really fucking easy to make interpretations that fit your ideas. People do it all that time with Shakespeare.

Don't act like you're the first one that ever said "well, the Bible says this. LOL PROOF". You are really not.

Rapstah

The seven day week is literally BECAUSE of the Bible and the civilisations it influenced and got influenced by. An astral year isn't divisible by seven in its amount of days.

Edit: maybe the term is solar year? One year, 365.something eartly spins.

Retconning my misspellings is hard on mobile.

7 day week cycle? Yeah, its in the bible too. Even today you live your life according to a seven day week cycle. I wonder why that is? The bible writers must of gotten lucky on that one too.

Or maybe the bible got lucky when 2400 years before science figured out the earth was round that

It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:
The concept of a 7-day week predates the Bible.

Firstly, that Bible verse you quote is very ambiguous. (And the Earth is a sphere.) Also, people knew that the world was round at least two hundred years BC.

I feel like I should elaborate, but it would probably be a futile effort.

Log4Girlz

The people who wrote the bible must of gotten lucky so many times then since a lot of what we know today has been proven in the bible.

If the bible didn't have anything that could explain why dinosaurs are extinct, you'd have a point, but there is your evidence again for the legitimacy of the bible.

There is no conclusive evidence that the world was at any point completely flooded. All scientific evidence points to a completely different scenario as to well, the entire history of earth and prior species compared to the bible. The bible does not even deal with the concept of extinction. You assume the bible is real and you point to dinosaurs as evidence to support your conclusion.

LOL, you are such a funny troll. The 7 day week is a cultural phenomenon, it is not tied...with anything. There is nothing significant to a 7 day week.

What was the alternative? We evolved to enjoy fruits and vegetables, its not a stretch to discover they were good for us. Its not like we have constant urges to eat fucking rocks and it killed us and the bible was all like "OMG, I know you want to eat rocks, but its bad for you".

meh, lucky.

The earth is not circular?

AND THen you have bible prophecy.

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

lucky right?

The end hasn't come yet?

And don't let me get into the archeaological evidence.

This is all evidence that comes together and just keeps adding up. there's so much more

but the thing is, the bible was compiled thousands of years apart by different authors in different time periods yet it is cohesive and united in its scope over the most controversial topic in the world, God.

Lucky right?

If it was so cohesive and unified in scope then why are there hundreds of interpretations of the bible and hundreds of christian denominations?

Where does it talk about relativity? Quantum mechanics? Where is the bestiary showing all animals that have ever existed including detailed images of dinosaurs? Where is the description of the planets revolving around the sun?

What is the purpose of prophecies?

Why aren't any of the prophecies SPECIFIC with exact dates, times and names of people involved in exactly prophecies?

A book of assumptions with no more merit than the Quran. If your evidence somehow held weight, then the entire world would be christian and there would be 1 denomination, no more.

Imtheman, it seems to me, correct me if I'm wrong, that you subscribe to the faith that says "everyone besides me has to be a bloody moron". Because, short of you having an education that starts and stops with the Bible, that's the only way you could possibly be this militant about the Bible.

The end hasn't come yet?

He's talking about TV. He's saying that the Bible predicted TV.

imtehman

Banned
I know you can't be serious imtehman. You just can't.

come on dude, this was written 2000 years ago

thats a pretty big assertion to say that the absolutely insane things of the new testament would be preached around the whole world, but look at today, its happening!

If there is just a little hint that the bible might be true, then do what the bible says

Deut 4:29 But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

This is your eternal salvation at stake

Log4Girlz

come on dude, this was written 2000 years ago

thats a pretty big assertion to say that the absolutely insane things of the new testament would be preached around the whole world, but look at today, its happening!

If there is just a little hint that the bible might be true, then do what the bible says

Deut 4:29 But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

This is your eternal salvation at stake

The sad part is, though you are joking, the tactics you are using is exactly what religious ideologues use.

What I assert is the truth is the truth because it claims to be true. Accept or hellfire.

imtehman

Banned
Imtheman, it seems to me, correct me if I'm wrong, that you subscribe to the faith that says "everyone besides me has to be a bloody moron". Because, short of you having an education that starts and stops with the Bible, that's the only way you could possibly be this militant about the Bible.

i'm not saying anything. There is grounds for why i believe in the bible, i'm just presenting a little bit of it that's all.

the bible is hundreds of pages long, this is just snippets of it.

This is a gaming forum, when we make a game purchase we would like to get reviews, read up on information about games so that we can make a decision with our hard earned dollars.

Why not do the same with God?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not a joke unless he's been keeping up this troll for a few months.

imtehman

Banned
The sad part is, though you are joking, the tactics you are using is exactly what religious ideologues use.

What I assert is the truth is the truth because it claims to be true. Accept or hellfire.

That's a pretty compelling reason to make sure you're right about it then

This is a gaming forum, when we make a game purchase we would like to get reviews, read up on information about games so that we can make a decision with our hard earned dollars.

Why not do the same with God?

... this guy is a troll, right?

I mean, he's not actually suggesting that we can figure out if we want to be Christians from a few posts on an internet forum, right?

Feep

Banned
The concept of a 7-day week predates the Bible.

Firstly, that Bible verse you quote is very ambiguous. (And the Earth is a sphere.) Also, people knew that the world was round at least two hundred years BC.

I feel like I should elaborate, but it would probably be a futile effort.
Oblate spheroid, actually. ^^

Uh, okay.

This isn't evidence for legitimacy. It simply means there's an explanation for dinosaurs being wiped out. Of course, this story raises literally hundreds of other questions, most notably why there is no archeological or geological evidence for a global flood, or how it was possible to fit two of the millions of known land-dwelling species (and plants?) onto a ship whose dimensions are given quite exactly.

As others have said, the seven-day cycle largely predates the Bible. It really doesn't even make much sense, if you think about it.

As human beings die without fruits and vegetables, it stands to reason that humans had a pretty good idea that we needed them before the Bible OR science told us so.

Or maybe the bible got lucky when 2400 years before science figured out the earth was round
It's been known that the Earth was round since early Greece. When was the Bible written, again?

Well, I mean, one out of two isn't bad. But the end still doesn't seem to be here.

The fuck?

And don't let me get into the archaeological evidence.
Oh, go for it! I want to see all the peer-reviewed and accepted evidence.

Lucky right?
So lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom