• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Deep Strange Journey for 3DS

Graciaus

I hated SJ the first time I played it since they chanced the battle system. I didn't like how all your demons had to be the same class to do the most damage. I made it pretty far ignoring that but eventually I couldn't beat one boss and just gave up.

Chibot

Are we 100% sure this is the original and not something like SMTIV Apocalypse? Strange Journey was good, but this seems like an odd choice if it's just a port/remake.

I'll probably get around to it either way, but I'm about 10x more interested in what they're working on for Switch.

Opa-Pa

Glad that it's coming to the 3DS, but are we sure it's a port and not a remake like the Etrian Odyssey Untold games?

Look at it this way, unless they're planning to re-release this:

explorartion.png

Then it's most likely a remake.

Eusis

Scrubbing Kaneko from history is so weird. :(

I also wonder if this will even come out in English. We can't even seem to get Atlus USA to acknowledge that Etrian Odyssey 5 is real.
I usually stay optimistic with Atlus, but yeah, it's been quiet for quite awhile there. And 3DS SEEMS to be entering its end of life, and whether that's really the case or not in Nintendo's eyes won't matter if games aren't selling there.

Atlus has had a habit of staying quiet until something's formally announced though, even if grilled just prior, and maybe they just want P5 out of the way, hopefully?

EDIT: Though I see that EOV came out in August. That doesn't really look good!

Are we 100% sure this is the original and not something like SMTIV Apocalypse? Strange Journey was good, but this seems like an odd choice if it's just a port/remake.

I don't see why its an odd choice considering all other DS RPG games have been ported or remade for 3DS. In fact Strange Journey would be an odd omission. It is definitely a remake/port with full voice acting.

explorartion.png

They'll probably do it in the EO4 engine but keep everything else 2D.

Yeah Strange Journey looks pretty rough, it did even back then but the atmosphere was incredible. It deserves a complete makeover like Atlus did for EO1/2.

Opa-Pa

This is a 3DS remaster.

shin-megami-tensei-devil-summoner-soul-hackers-first-person-dungen-crawling.jpg

I see where you're coming from but that was a straight port and even as is, it still looks far better than SJ.

Not to mention that DSJ will probably include at least one new dungeon, which would be an impossible addition if they kept the game as is.

The original used the DS Etrian Odyssey engine and there's a new one for the 3DS EO games, plus they're adding new story bits, characters and reworked art. The game being a straight port aside from those additions simply wouldn't make sense unless Atlus was extremely cheap.

I stopped playing Strange Journey soon after I defeated the first boss because I didn't quite like the game.

Maybe this time (hopefully it will get a PAL release) I will complete it.

Oh well, first SMT on 3DS I'll skip.

Unless they change the battle system, I'm not in. People talk about Nocturne being hard, but this game is the one that is actually frustrating as shit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No offense, but you are. :p I can't really be too mad, if the games don't sell, the company goes under, so I want them to reach a wide audience. I just hope they find a happy medium.

Why don't they just do "Strange Journey Casual" "Strange Journey Default" difficulty modes?

I mean hell, they already did that with Persona 3/4 with making it as easy or hard as you wanted.

Chibot

I don't see why its an odd choice considering all other DS RPG games have been ported or remade for 3DS. In fact Strange Journey would be an odd omission. It is definitely a remake/port with full voice acting.

They'll probably do it in the EO4 engine but keep everything else 2D.

I was just thinking/hoping that if they were going to the trouble of a port/remake that they might as well make it a new scenario. It would probably lead to greater sales as well.

I guess these ports/remakes are already selling well for them? I haven't paid attention to the numbers and I'm not a huge fan of these, particularly since only a generation has passed with all these recent releases.

Opa-Pa

Why don't they just do "Strange Journey Casual" "Strange Journey Default" difficulty modes?

I mean hell, they already did that with Persona 3/4 with making it as easy or hard as you wanted.

Eh, it's not as bad as they say. I like my SMT games challenging and SMTIV and Apocalypse (especially Apocalypse) are just fine in their respective hard modes. Save for garbage like no punishment for death + save anywhere, of course.

Honestly, if they don't go crazy with the dumbed down difficulty, it should be okay. No punishment for death in a game like this would be awful, but a more lenient save system shouldn't be too bad.

Eusis

And man, I'd really hate it if Atlus(/SEGA?) jumped ship entirely on 3DS outside of Japan just as they decide to announce a bunch of games for it over in Japan. Though they're all up ports, but I'd still like to see EOV at least. And I never did finish Strange Journey so this is definitely relevant to me.

redcrayon

Eh, it's not as bad as they say. I like my SMT games challenging and SMTIV and Apocalypse (especially Apocalypse) are just fine in their respective hard modes. Save for garbage like no punishment for death + save anywhere, of course.

Honestly, if they don't go crazy with the dumbed down difficulty, it should be okay. No punishment for death in a game like this would be awful, but a more lenient save system shouldn't be too bad.
The main thing I'd like to see addressed is 'game over if MC dies' combined with 'random instant-kill attacks', particularly on the final boss. Not sure why it isn't 'battle continues until the active party is wiped out', which at least gives you a chance to revive the MC with a demon. Having to fight on without the MC while you do it is a bad enough penalty for such random instant kill attacks.

As for the difficulty, this was my first SMT game and I made it to the end boss with no problem. A couple of the bosses I had to rethink my strategy once or twice, but I find it pretty well balanced up to the end boss.

Oh well, first SMT on 3DS I'll skip.

Unless they change the battle system, I'm not in. People talk about Nocturne being hard, but this game is the one that is actually frustrating as shit.

i hope not, the press turn system is overdone at this point, i was really happy that SJ did go back to the roots, especially after Nocturne that was a "special case", and was more similar to the first two games.

Hmm, another enhanced port im not so sure about alongside RH.

These designs at least are close to the originals. We'll see once more details emerge if this is a worthwhile thing.

KarmaCow

I skipped Break Record because I had the original and the Atlus tax but I'm down to replay Strange Journey. Shame that this is seemingly just a remaster with VO instead of a new game though.

Edit: I hope they don't make the entire game easier

I should be clear - I personally get nauseous when it comes to any game where you're moving around into identical corridors and constantly turning corners to find the exit/right room. SMT IV wasn't *so* bad about this, but it was pretty awful (for me) at certain points, especially those little side quest dungeons where you don't have any map and you just have to find your way around. So yeah, nothing wrong with the game design per se, just a personal thing for what I can physically tolerate, so I wanted to know if SJ was similar.

I'm sorry to say this but you probably should stay away from this. SMTIV's dungeons are as strightforward as it gets, at least by SMT standards. SJ is pretty hardcore in that regard.
I'm not gonna lie, SMT is my favorite franchise by far and I love the hardcore aspect of it, by having played Soul Hackers, Persona Q and Strange Journey during the year leading up to SMTIV, I found the dungeon design refreshing, not just because of its simplicity but because they were designed like real environments and not just as tiles that repeat endlessly and are navigated on a grid. Nothing against that mind you, I was just burned out at the time.
But yeah, doesn't sound like this is up your alley. Hell, even the dungeons in the post-P2 Personas sound like they'd be too much for you, let alone mainline SMT or most spin offs like Digital Devil Saga.

If you're into srpgs check out Devil Survivor, they're great SMT spin-offs and are both on 3DS.

i hope not, the press turn system is overdone at this point, i was really happy that SJ did go back to the roots, especially after Nocturne that was a "special case", and was more similar to the first two games.

I wouldn't mind having a different system in a SMT game. But just because it's different it doesn't mean it's going to be automatically good. I'd even prefer something simpler like the system from Soul Hackers than having Demon Coop (and Password System to a degree) ever again.

I wouldn't be able to stand the last boss from the neutral path one more time anyway. Just thinking about it makes me frustrated. lol

Requeim

It's so strange that SMT is only handhelds these days when Persona gets multiple console releases ; ;

Life ain't fair

I agree with you, but I think this will be the last one for what it's worth. The HD project (or P5) will probably serve as a jump-off point for new spinoffs. As soon as we're past the 3DS for good, I don't think there will be any more "purely handheld" titles.

Kevinroc

I never played the original Strange Journey, so I'm down for this remake. Although I'm not sure what to make of some of these mixed reactions I'm seeing here.

SirNinja

Oh fuck yes. Strange Journey was an incredible game. Perfect mix of SMT and Etrian. Put well over 100 hours into it.

Hopefully Atlus brings this over ASAP once it's done.
And hopefully they have another bonus boss after Demiurge, cause he was kind of a disappointment

I agree with you, but I think this will be the last one for what it's worth. The HD project (or P5) will probably serve as a jump-off point for new spinoffs. As soon as we're past the 3DS for good, I don't think there will be any more "purely handheld" titles.

I hope you're right. On top of the games looking like pure shit, handhelds are just not comfortable to hold and play on at all, especially for a game like this where I'd be sinking hours at a time.

Eusis

Forget what? Those are really well drawn portraits. Unlike whatever they've done to the Strange Journey human cast.
Yeah, they're pretty good takes and aren't made to replace the artwork originally in those games.

Frankly, this should have just gone all the way or at least further, if he's just going to make it look like he smoothed out details in photoshop then they may as well just have him do slight redesigns, especially as that STILL clashes with the aesthetic of the new character.

Bebpo

Banned
Why is Atlus deciding now of all times at the end of 3ds's life to port ds games over? Don't you normally do that at the beginning of a new system?

Give me some new games/sequels Atlus plz.

jwhit28

They are going to add save anywhere and simplify the dungeons aren't they...

Seeing them say they are going to make it easier doesn't feel me with confidence at all.

Just adding the quality of life improvements made to the series since the original SJ released will make it easier.

LordKano

Why is Atlus deciding now of all times at the end of 3ds's life to port ds games over? Don't you normally do that at the beginning of a new system?

Give me some new games/sequels Atlus plz.

They did that during entire 3DS's lifespan.

Ventara

Eh, another DS port/remake to 3DS? Like some games kinda need it since they weren't that good (EO1 and 2), but this seemed just fine, and DS was only last gen. Would've much preferred a sequel (same goes for Radiant Historia).

Top Bottom