• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus releases statement on emulation, acknowledges Persona 5 PC demand

Not even remotely the same thing. They obviously have an issue with this game being put out there in a way they don't like. That's their right as the creator. I can understand why they would want the version of the game out there visually to be the one where they know how it will look and behave (insofar as anyone does with software.) that's all I'm saying.

I don't know. To me this would hold water if there was actually any issue at all out there with people successfully representing emulator glitches as representative of the actual product. But as it stands I only really see this type of thing offered up half-baked auteur nonsense wherein -- despite the myriad of things that aren't in your control once a product is in the user's environment -- it's argued that there is one true way to play a game and if the creators didn't sign off on it, it shouldn't exist as an option. I find it almost completely nonsensical.

Rellik

I'll let you know what I think by never buying one of your games again. Embarrassing decision and embarrassing blog post.

SparkTR

Absolutely clueless and embarrassing that their initial point of contact was to go after their Patreon, they have zero legal standing to issue a DMCA. It's great that the Patreon people told them to fuck off, what were they expecting to happen?

Blam

This comes back to what I saw someone say to the Camp Pesto devs.

If you don't want people to play your game the way they play it why bother releasing it at all. Just make a movie instead.

I mean, they're not making it exclusive to Sony's platforms out of the kindness of their hearts or "stupidity." Why wouldn't it get an extra marketing push from Sony given that it's exclusive to their platforms? One example is the Sony-owned Aniplex distributing and marketing the Persona anime. It's a brand that isn't restricted to video game releases. All of that additional promotion has helped grow the series to new heights.

Irrelevant considering the number of Aniplex stuff that has seen releases on other platforms. Exemple: Fate/Stay.

Yes, they are doing it solely on stupidity. Can we please stop pretend that, because they're companies, that they cant do mistakes ?

Ibuki

Banned
Atlus really should have the right to kick down the doors of all Persona 5 owners to make sure no pesky pirates are looking over their shoulders.

They need to protect their IP.

Audioboxer

Both arguments are true for every game ever made on every system ever made, so unless there's a part 2 blog post that explains why unique among the tens of thousands of commercially published games ever made, only Persona 5 needs its own rules. Only Persona 5 needs takedown notices for Twitch. Only Atlus games need to use the region locking functionality. Only Persona 5 needs emulator takedowns.

The best part about this is that Atlus USA benefitted immensely from all the things they tried to stop. Persona 5 Twitch takedown notices? One of the things that made the series gain such a huge following was long-play streams of the earlier games in the series. Region locking? The whole reason Atlus USA had one of their biggest hits ever, Demon's Souls, was because of high import demand for the game. Emulator takedowns? The culture of fan translations is why anyone has ever heard of half of Atlus' shit.

Absolutely fucking embarrassing. You reap what you sow, dumbasses.

This is a good post. Atlus trying to put out a fire they created by pouring gasoline on it and asking everyone why the fire isn't going out.

Persona 5 can piss off even stopping the share button working on the PS4 for pictures, let alone video. Completely out of touch corporate nonsense that does nothing to help sales or PR.

Yarbskoo

So basically: "We don't want to put Persona 5 on PC so no one should be playing Persona 5 on PC." and "You probably pirated it anyway."

So Atlus is pretty much just that shitposter in every emulation thread.

Irrelevant considering the number of Aniplex stuff that has seen releases on other platforms. Exemple: Fate/Stay.

Yes, they are doing it solely on stupidity. Can we please stop pretend that, because they're companies, that they cant do mistakes ?

I'll just link to duckroll's post since they know much better than I do about the intricacies of it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249754323&postcount=153

Nah Fate is different. I can see how it looks the same if people aren't familiar with the behind the scenes business stuff. Fate is a Type-Moon franchise that they license out to collaborate with anyone who has a good idea. Fate/Extella is a Marvelous initiative with Type-Moon and has nothing to do with Aniplex or Sony at all. Prisma Illya is another example of an anime product that has nothing to do with Aniplex because the relationship is formed through Kadokawa's manga product. Aniplex's association with Fate is mostly through their Ufotable productions, and we can see that relationship translate to Ufotable also animating the new OP sequences when they ported the original game to Vita.

Other comparisons in the Aniplex/GamePublisher relationship can be see in Tales Of games and God Eater.

Dario ff

Banned
We want to continue having a dialogue about where and how you would like to play our games. Please let us know what you think.
Has no part of this whole situation given them a clue of where people would like to play their games? What else are people going to ask for on the context of this blog post?

This statement really has no purpose other than to embarass themselves.

Both arguments are true for every game ever made on every system ever made, so unless there's a part 2 blog post that explains why unique among the tens of thousands of commercially published games ever made, only Persona 5 needs its own rules. Only Persona 5 needs takedown notices for Twitch. Only Atlus games need to use the region locking functionality. Only Persona 5 needs emulator takedowns.

The best part about this is that Atlus USA benefitted immensely from all the things they tried to stop. Persona 5 Twitch takedown notices? One of the things that made the series gain such a huge following was long-play streams of the earlier games in the series. Region locking? The whole reason Atlus USA had one of their biggest hits ever, Demon's Souls, was because of high import demand for the game. Emulator takedowns? The culture of fan translations is why anyone has ever heard of half of Atlus' shit.

Absolutely fucking embarrassing. You reap what you sow, dumbasses.

We're NOT entitled to emulate games as we so chose. It's Atlus's content and they can do whatever they want with it.

If you feel some way about it that's fine./ Take your business elsewhere

the JRPG playing PC audience is paltry anyway.

Darknight

We're NOT entitled to emulate games as we so chose. It's Atlus's content and they can do whatever they want with it.

WUT?????

Yo this is like Trump shit but with some gaming flavor.

SparkTR

Have you slept through the last 5 years?

I mean, if it was paltry why would they even go through the effort of doing this?

shiyrley

Banned
Good on Atlus, trying to protect their product that they OWN
When I purchase a physical game, I own it. This is a fact.

Believing otherwise is dumb because of two reasons:
  • You insist on believing something that is not true
  • You insist on believing something that benefits the company instead of the consumer which is what you are

Have you not seen how many JRPG games have come to PC in the last 4 years? You really think if the audience is paltry, then why are the publishers bringing it over to PC??

diaspora

Er, yes I am. I can and will emulate a used copy of Catherine if I want and Atlus can't do anything about it. If I want to emulate it or use the disc as a frisbee the publisher can't and won't stop me as a consumer from doing what I want with it.

WUT?????

Yo this is like Trump shit but with some gaming flavor.

Good. Eat it all up.

Till we have more JRPGs that are capable of selling over a million on PC alone the audience will remain P>A>L>T>R>Y.

Emulation is not illegal.
Pirating the game is. But you can also pirate the game on a modded PS3, so I don't see how pirating the game on PC is any different.

Whether or not I choose to play the game with frame drops, crashes and the like is a choice I am allowed to make myself as long as I legally own the game and have a way to dump it myself.

Try again, Atlus.

Who has a modded PS3 anymore?

Linux PS3's went out of print in 2008 dude

Well, if your games were on PC for starters maybe people would feel less enticed to play those through emulators?

Hell, you could even make money by porting those!

Nobody buys games on PC's for reasonable prices anymore.

Have you not seen how many JRPG games have come to PC in the last 4 years? You really think if the audience is paltry, then why are the publishers bringing it over to PC??

Because those developers make their dough on catering to a niche market.

gngf123

- Thankfully the law functions on the real world, not what some shitty corporation decides is best for them. Emulation is legal, ripping your own software is legal (in most countries), RPCS3 is open source and uses no licensed content and is therefore also legal. Atlus have absolutely zero legal legs to stand on.

We are entitled to emulate our own games as much as we want. Atlus' opinion on the matter is irrelevant.

If Atlus want to stay within the law, they should be issuing takedown requests to websites that host Persona ROMs.

- The PC JRPG audience had a slow start (because Japanese developers ignored the platform for years), but is growing rapidly. Additionally, there is known thirst for Persona 5, RPCS3 even getting the Patreon support it has received is proof of that.

Yes we are. This was literally a legal decision. We are entitled to emulate games. It is legal. Emulators are legal. Running emulators is legal. It is legal to put the game into the emulator and watch the magic happen.

That last comment is purely you speaking out of your ass. There have been multiple instances of JRPGs selling well on PC - certainly enough that companies like Namco Bandai and Square-Enix have continued to support the platform.

Gurnlei

Good. Eat it all up.

Till we have more JRPGs that are capable of selling over a million on PC alone the audience will remain P>A>L>T>R>Y.

I really don't know if you're trolling or not.

Just bought DRV3 on PC for $60.

SparkTR

Good. Eat it all up.

Straight up trolling now.

Audioboxer

Atlus can choose to ignore the genuine tiny minority over in the corner emulating games on a PC through a mildly technical emulator and focus on creating and selling their games like every other dev. Or Atlus can act like a child throwing their toys out of a pram and create their own PR shit storm over an out of proportion shrieking of crying wolf. Let's see if this works well for Atlus and unleashes a tide of other devs falling over themselves to join in shooting themselves in the foot.

This is from the same people who were trying to explain a share button needs disabled because of streaming and taking photos of a game you've bought. Top logic.

Yes you are, as has already been explained dozens of times on this forum. Customers are entitled to emulate games they've purchased and ripped legally, there is no law preventing it.

People are too lazy to rip it themselves so they just buy the game and download a rip online

Which is technically not legal, but nobody enforces that so who cares.

Its like those people who created hacked "legal pokemon" because they dont want to put in the base minimum effort that is breeding

Sami+

I don't know. To me this would hold water if there was actually any issue at all out there with people successfully representing emulator glitches as representative of the actual product. But as it stands I only really see this type of thing offered up half-baked auteur nonsense wherein -- despite the myriad of things that aren't in your control once a product is in the user's environment -- it's argued that there is one true way to play a game and if the creators didn't sign off on it, it shouldn't exist as an option. I find it almost completely nonsensical.

This is a really important point, too. The first time I played Dark Souls, it was on a PS3 connected to an almost impressively poor $60 desktop size HDTV my parents had gotten me from CostCo a few weeks prior. It's been many years and I've played the game plenty of times since, but that first playthrough absolutely did affect my overall opinion of the game for a long time. It's absolutely absurd to use that excuse here when what I've just described is so much more common than people judging a game via emulator gameplay.

Can someone edit this into the OP? This is some real bullshit that deserves attention.

“We kindly ask that you remove both for this reason – to make Persona 5 work on the emulator, the user has to circumvent our DRM protections. The following blog post provides specific instructions for “dumping the disc or PSN download” and discusses how Patreon finding [sic] contributed to this breakthrough: [link since removed].”

lmao

diaspora

Good. Eat it all up.

I'm guessing you've got no receipts.

Adnor

Banned
Good. Eat it all up.

Guys we finally found it, the worst post of 2017. We can all stop shitposting for the rest of the year.

I really hate it when companies go the "protect users from an inferior experience" route. Please don't insult my intelligence; I'm OK with you trying to protect your intellectual property, just don't bullshit me as if I was 5.

Yarbskoo

People are too lazy to rip it themselves so they just buy the game and download a rip online

Which is technically not legal, but nobody enforces that so who cares.

Its like those people who created hacked "legal pokemon" because they dont want to put in the base minimum effort that is breeding

"People?" This sounds like projecting to me.

"People" absolutely do use their own copies for emulation. It's why I have a copy of Spyro the Dragon always sitting on my PC case.

I really hate it when companies go the "protect users from an inferior experience" route. Please don't insult my intelligence; I'm OK with you trying to protect your intellectual property, just don't bullshit me as if I was 5.

Dude there are a lot of younger gamers who are complete assholes online about stuff like this and they're certainly not educated enough to be as "intelligent" as you are.

Why take things so personally?

Though some of them still manage to learn how to coppy scripts for DDOS attacks.

Gamers need to do better. Stop contributing to the toxicity in our culture because you're fucking angry 24/7 about game companies trying to run a business.

Its shameful.

Top Bottom