• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus releases statement on emulation, acknowledges Persona 5 PC demand

Game Guru

Wait

They filed a DMCA takedown over a software emulator? The software emulator itself?

And people are okay with this?

What Atlus did was try to DMCA a Patreon for the emulator. Patreon reminded Atlus of fair use and refused under those grounds. Despite Patreon telling them this, Atlus pressed the issue. Patreon got in touch with the emulator's creators, and the developers and Patreon mutually agreed purely as a form of legal caution to remove references to Persona 5 from the Patreon and website for the emulator, and that's all they did. Then the developers of the emulator discussed the issue on their Reddit when asked. The developers state that they are within their legal rights for the country that they reside in and Patreon agrees with that assessment. And now Atlus is having to play PR Cleanup for something that, unlike their previous LP issue, they are clearly in the legal wrong about.

LOL.

Who was that company that was selling internet roms on an online store? (think from Torrent sites) Was it SNK and the roms being sold to users?

I think that was Sega, the company who owns Atlus now! There was this picture of an officially rereleased version of Streets of Rage 2 that was obviously someone's hacked ROM. Specifically, it was a ROM Hack by someone called Mr. A.

Good. Eat it all up.

Till we have more JRPGs that are capable of selling over a million on PC alone the audience will remain P>A>L>T>R>Y.

Who has a modded PS3 anymore?

Linux PS3's went out of print in 2008 dude

Nobody buys games on PC's for reasonable prices anymore.

Because those developers make their dough on catering to a niche market.

You cannot be serious.

FFVII, a 90's game, as sold over a million on Steam alone. Get out of here with that.

Keep moving the goalposts. Not being the majority doesn't mean equate to paltry. What is your point here? You're clearly wrong.

Not being the majority is what makes it PALTRY.

Why? Because you're trying to justify entitled behavior.

Stop doing it.

You cannot be serious.

FFVII, a 90's game, as sold over a million on Steam alone. Get out of here with that.

I'm 100% serious.

There is no need for us to act like this tbh.

RoyalFool

Banned
I'm massively pro emulation.

But they had screenshots of persona on their patreon page. Atlus are completely in the right to ask them to remove it.

When emulating a machine that still has new commercial games coming out, you have to take some responsibility and not promote playing on the emulator as a alternative to buying and playing on still available hardware.

Once the hardware and game are out of print then go nuts.

SparkTR

But they had screenshots of persona on their patreon page. Atlus are completely in the right to ask them to remove it.

They can ask but it's not their right. Sony had the same argument with Bleem and lost on all accounts regarding using their games as promo material. What the emulation team is doing now is just a courtesy.

Vamphuntr

Dude there are a lot of younger gamers who are complete assholes online about stuff like this and they're certainly not educated enough to be as "intelligent" as you are.

Why take things so personally?

Though some of them still manage to learn how to coppy scripts for DDOS attacks.

Gamers need to do better. Stop contributing to the toxicity in our culture because you're fucking angry 24/7 about game companies trying to run a business.

Its shameful.

You should read your own advice. Namco Bandai is doing very well with their PC ports for instance. You can keep yelling at them it's a paltry and useless audience but please let them run their business.

Adnor

Banned
Not being the majority is what makes it PALTRY.

Didn't Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition sold more on Steam than PS3 or 360? Does that means that those versions are PALTRY and FROM should have stopped supporting those platforms?

tumblr_on8fmiTjYb1qm36c1o1_500.gif

EDIT: Oh they were banned.

When emulating a machine that still had new commercial games coming out you have to take some responsibility and try not to promote playing on the emulator as a suitable alternative of buying and playing on still available hardware.

As has been mentioned several times, no they are NOT within their right. The judge on the bleem case sided with bleem on the use of games as fair use.

I'm saying you have zero influence.

So stop trying to JUSTIFY your entitlement.
There's nothing to justify here. People are rightfully decrying a large developer using intimidation tactics to attempt to shut down the revenue stream for a smaller team working on legal, open source software. Your only goal in this thread seems to be to derail the conversation by making false claims (consumers don't have the right to emulate games), moving goalposts based on unproven claims (most consumers don't rip games legally), bringing up unrelated topics (size of the PC jrpg market) and just generally shitposting.

SparkTR

Just because you bought a license to play a game does not enable you to do whatever you want with the game.

Yes, if a person bought a game they can legally use it on an emulator. And two, I wasn't arguing that in the first place, I was talking about your false claims about the PC JRPG audience.

You're a confused mess.

Er, yes I am. I can and will emulate a used copy of Catherine if I want and Atlus can't do anything about it. If I want to emulate it or use the disc as a frisbee the publisher can't and won't stop me as a consumer from doing what I want with it.

Actually you can't, because you have to bypass the DRM protection to use your copy of Catherine on the emulator and that part is illegal.

RoyalFool

Banned
There's nothing to justify here. People are rightfully decrying a large developer using intimidation tactics to attempt to shut down the revenue stream for a smaller team working on legal, open source software. Your only goal in this thread seems to be to derail the conversation by making false claims (consumers don't have the right to emulate games), moving goalposts based on unproven claims (most consumers don't rip games legally), bringing up unrelated topics (size of the PC jrpg market) and just generally shitposting.

They asked them to remove the picture and reported it to patreon. They are not asking them to stop taking donations.

It's a commercially available game on a system that's still sold. Atlus are being completely reasonable and don't want their latest game being used to promote something that circumvents their own ability to apply quality control to their product

Audioboxer

They can ask but it's not their right. Sony had the same argument with Bleem and lost on all accounts regarding using their games as promo material. What the emulation team is doing now is just a courtesy.

Maybe Atlus are just that serious that they do not want screenshots of Persona 5 anywhere on the internet because... did you hear spoilers ruin everything? Atlus just trying to protect the gamers.

At this rate this will probably be another topic for the Jim Sterling signal to be lit.

gngf123

Just because you bought a license to play a game does not enable you to do whatever you want with the game.

Again. As far as emulation is concerned - as long as it is your own copy, and you are not from a country like the UK - yes you are.

Now, you've shit posted up an entire page of this thread, stop.

They asked them to remove the picture and reported it to patreon. They are not asking them to stop taking donations.

It's a commercially available game on a system that's still sold. Atlus are being completely reasonable and don't want their latest game being used to promote something that circumvents their own ability to apply quality control to their product

Other way around. They tried to DMCA take down their patreon, then the emu authors decided to take down references as a legal precaution.

They were going after their revenue stream.

Azuran

Banned
Atlus is fucking trash. God, sometimes I wish they would go bankrupt so their properties may end up in better hands.

Ridiculous stance as always. How can a company these days be so out of touch?

Audioboxer

Again. As far as emulation is concerned - as long as it is your own copy, and you are not from a country like the UK - yes you are.

Now, you've shit posted up an entire page of this thread, stop.

Emulators are legal in the UK, as is backing up a copy of something you own.

jmga

When emulating a machine that still has new commercial games coming out, you have to take some responsibility and not promote playing on the emulator as a alternative to buying and playing on still available hardware.

Once the hardware and game are out of print then go nuts.

That is completely irrelevant from a legal point of view.

They didn't promote any kind of piracy, they even tell you how you can dump your original games by yourself.

https://rpcs3.net/quickstart

Zomba13

With atlus talking shit about emulators being illegal they do know you can pirate PS3 games right?

Like, they know that right? So, seeing as they don't want anyone to play the game illegally then they should block all PS3s from playing Persona 5 right? Because some people could be using CFW and playing pirated copies.

diaspora

Circumventing DRM is 100% illegal by the digital millenium act, I did some research before on that regarding wii u emulation. Guess I'll have to dig it up
I'm not sure how much it matters, I can do it and there isn't anything Atlus can do regardless.

Both arguments are true for every game ever made on every system ever made, so unless there's a part 2 blog post that explains why unique among the tens of thousands of commercially published games ever made, only Persona 5 needs its own rules. Only Persona 5 needs takedown notices for Twitch. Only Atlus games need to use the region locking functionality. Only Persona 5 needs emulator takedowns.

The best part about this is that Atlus USA benefitted immensely from all the things they tried to stop. Persona 5 Twitch takedown notices? One of the things that made the series gain such a huge following was long-play streams of the earlier games in the series. Region locking? The whole reason Atlus USA had one of their biggest hits ever, Demon's Souls, was because of high import demand for the game. Emulator takedowns? The culture of fan translations is why anyone has ever heard of half of Atlus' shit.

Absolutely fucking embarrassing. You reap what you sow, dumbasses.

As someone who bought P5 from the PSN store 2 weeks before it launched, played through the entirety of it within a week, and ended up loving a lot of it (there are many points of criticism, but it is still an excellent JRPG), I cannot argue with anything stated in this post.

Atlus (wheter it's Japan or the whole company) has no fucking idea what their audience actually wants, nor do they have any idea why they gained that audience to BEGIN with. (I only started becoming a fan of their games as a result of the Giant Bomb P4 ER, and have played through P3, P4, P4G, P5, P4A, Persona Q, Digital Devil Saga etc.)

Tapejara

Actually you can't, because you have to bypass the DRM protection to use your copy of Catherine on the emulator and that part is illegal.
Circumventing DRM is 100% illegal by the digital millenium act, I did some research before on that regarding wii u emulation. Guess I'll have to dig it up

Potentially misinformed post below:

I don't believe bypassing whatever DRM on the disc is actually illegal, providing you're using it for personal use. The closest example I can think of is the Content Scramble System present on DVDs. In 2009 it was ruled the US that bypassing this system to sell copies of DVDs was illegal, but the law itself does not pertain to personal use (the legality of which is still undefined IIRC). These laws will also differentiate by country. Therefore, it's likely that there is no actual law determining whether someone can bypass whatever DRM a publisher implements in their games provided they're doing it for personal use. Additionally, RPCS3 itself does not disseminate any copyrighted content, the program itself only serves to emulate PS3 hardware. Getting your game files to work with RPCS3 is a process done outside of the emulator.

If you can find any further information I'd be very interested in reading it!

daegan

I don't know. To me this would hold water if there was actually any issue at all out there with people successfully representing emulator glitches as representative of the actual product. But as it stands I only really see this type of thing offered up half-baked auteur nonsense wherein -- despite the myriad of things that aren't in your control once a product is in the user's environment -- it's argued that there is one true way to play a game and if the creators didn't sign off on it, it shouldn't exist as an option. I find it almost completely nonsensical.

We’re talking about an industry where it’s normal for major products to be evaluated in a remote location on equipment completely provided by the publisher. What’s hard to get about them wanting the media out there to reflect the game they made? To be clear - I’m 100% not talking about the ability to play the software in an emulator, but the capture and upload of images/sound/video from such.

Audioboxer

[Simon & Schuster] and Penguin's arguments to the contrary conflate the removal of DRM protection with the infringement alleged in the counterclaims. There is no question that Abbey House encouraged the removal of DRM protection. The act of infringement underlying the inducement claim, however, is not the removal of DRM protection. Rather, it is the copying and distribution of ebooks to others after such protection has been removed. The counterclaims do not allege that Abbey House encouraged such infringing acts.

Judge Cote's ruling is a refreshing response to a disappointingly common conflation: if the publishers got their way, readers' technical ability to infringe because they're not restricted by DRM would effectively count as infringement. That's the same faulty logic that the copyright lobby uses to argue for increasing control over secondary uses of purchased works, whether that's importing or re-selling media, or even repairing or modifying devices. It's a cynical view that treats a user's ownership as assumed wrongdoing—so it's nice to see Judge Cote reject it.

DRM, and the laws behind it, have contributed to a sense among rightsholders that they can and should control media and devices even after users have purchased them. Judge Cote's ruling is an important reminder that that's not the case.

https://gizmodo.com/its-perfectly-legal-to-tell-people-how-to-remove-drm-1670223538

Doesn't appear to be that clear cut. It seems to depend on what you do with something after you've removed or bypassed DRM.

Stalwart

It's almost comical that GAF thinks most people aren't pirating their emulated games.

That's not the point, the point is equating emulation to piracy like you're doing on a forum where speaking about piracy is banned is just shitposting that detracts from the people who actually want to talk about emulation.

Potentially misinformed post below:

I don't believe bypassing whatever DRM on the disc is actually illegal, providing you're using it for personal use. The closest example I can think of is the Content Scramble System present on DVDs. In 2009 it was ruled the US that bypassing this system to sell copies of DVDs was illegal, but the law itself does not pertain to personal use (the legality of which is still undefined IIRC). These laws will also differentiate by country. Therefore, it's likely that there is no actual law determining whether someone can bypass whatever DRM a publisher implements in their games provided they're doing it for personal use. Additionally, RPCS3 itself does not disseminate any copyrighted content, the program itself only serves to emulate PS3 hardware. Getting your game files to work with RPCS3 is a process done outside of the emulator.

Nah the simple act of circumventing drm is illegal, even for personal copies. Here's an article about it

http://info.legalzoom.com/dmca-backup-copyrighted-content-22827.html

https://gizmodo.com/its-perfectly-legal-to-tell-people-how-to-remove-drm-1670223538

Doesn't appear to be that clear cut. It seems to depend on what you do with something after you've removed or bypassed DRM.

Your article is about the talk of sharing information how to do circumvention of drm, not the act itself

Vamphuntr

We’re talking about an industry where it’s normal for major products to be evaluated in a remote location on equipment completely provided by the publisher. What’s hard to get about them wanting the media out there to reflect the game they made? To be clear - I’m 100% not talking about the ability to play the software in an emulator, but the capture and upload of images/sound/video from such.

If that was the case they wouldn't have waited 5 months after the release. I'm sure millions of people are watching videos of P5 running on the emulator and saying they won't be buying the game now because they saw glitches on the video.

Carlius

Banned
Both arguments are true for every game ever made on every system ever made, so unless there's a part 2 blog post that explains why unique among the tens of thousands of commercially published games ever made, only Persona 5 needs its own rules. Only Persona 5 needs takedown notices for Twitch. Only Atlus games need to use the region locking functionality. Only Persona 5 needs emulator takedowns.

The best part about this is that Atlus USA benefitted immensely from all the things they tried to stop. Persona 5 Twitch takedown notices? One of the things that made the series gain such a huge following was long-play streams of the earlier games in the series. Region locking? The whole reason Atlus USA had one of their biggest hits ever, Demon's Souls, was because of high import demand for the game. Emulator takedowns? The culture of fan translations is why anyone has ever heard of half of Atlus' shit.

Absolutely fucking embarrassing. You reap what you sow, dumbasses.

Well played sir. Well played.

Top Bottom