• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA Announces Persona 4 Golden (Vita) for NA Release

Has it even been confirmed? Give me husky Chie or give me husky Chie.

E:

VLC7M.jpg

...Bought. Every good protagonist needs their ruffled collar to effectively get their swag on.

Clearly sir you have good taste, Rohan avatar not withstanding.

The loss of Chie's original VA is going to be a serious blow, but I'll still pick it if no other VA changes are made. With Dave Wittenberg not voicing Teddie in either the anime or Arena though I am not hopeful, and I honestly don't think I could stand playing Persona 4 again without his voice.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They're using the new Teddie voice for this too, or is that for the Arena game?

Sure, old Chie's delivery was pretty bad in some spots ("Aha, is this our chance?"), but I guess there was something endearing about her English voice that ended up being part of the character. Gonna feel weird without her.

But enough about that! The game part of the game (and the Junes song) is the most important thing for me, so preordering this whenever I get the chance. I love P4. I was thinking of importing the JP version, but since this is coming out shortly after, I might be able to wait. Key word here is "might".

GeoramA

Definitely wasn't expecting it this year.

I never played a Persona game before. Would Persona 3 off PSN be a good start?

The picture with Charlie and Brosuke riding on bikes made my brain go on a tangent, and somehow ended up with them rollerskating in some JSR-type graffiti deal. :(

JSR X TWEWY X P4 fighting game, make it happen

Roubjon

I would suggest getting P3:FES if you don't mind playing it on the PS3, but if you'd rather play it on the Vita, get P3P.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Sure, old Chie's delivery was pretty bad in some spots ("Aha, is this our chance?"), but I guess there was something endearing about her English voice that ended up being part of the character. Gonna feel weird without her.

But enough about that! The game part of the game (and the Junes song) is the most important thing for me, so preordering this whenever I get the chance. I love P4. I was thinking of importing the JP version, but since this is coming out shortly after, I might be able to wait. Key word here is "might".

Are you admitting that you liked the old Chie VA? I thought she was horrible... Ugh. Also, Yuri L. for new Teddie in that Arena video made me want to kill myself. On the other hand Laura B. was really good as Rise in said video. I could hardly recognize her because she didn't sound squeaky. If she does that for P4G, I'm Golden.

Dark Schala knows whats up. We should let Aram know that we'd pay top dollar for collector edition merch. You know, like the Vita cover, stickers, poster, drink coasters, pins, and maybe another OST CD?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Considering P4 follows that formula, yes. P1-2 are totally different from 3-4.

Vita purchase incoming. Playing Persona games on a handheld is the way to go. My P3 experience was much better grinding a dungeon with football on in the background.

I would be disappointed with a new Chie simply because the voice is part of the character to me at this point.

Can't go back now that it's already associated in my head.

UberTag

Are you admitting that you liked the old Chie VA? I thought she was horrible... Ugh. Also, Yuri L. for new Teddie in that Arena video made me want to kill myself. On the other hand Laura B. was really good as Rise in said video. I could hardly recognize her because she didn't sound squeaky. If she does that for P4G, I'm Golden.
Laura Bailey's got a ton of range. She's extremely talented.

Between two different dubs of Persona 4 games (the original vs. Arena+Golden) and the Persona 4 anime (undoubtedly featuring their own voice cast) some of these characters are going to have 3 English characterizations. Instead of 1 Chie you will have 3.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm gonna grab the PS2 classic then. Thanks.

Just note that P3 doesn't let you fully control your party. Which isn't a bad thing, but a deal breaker for some people because they came from P4 to P3 and whined. So...

kayos90

Laura Bailey's got a ton of range. She's extremely talented.

Between two different dubs of Persona 4 games (the original vs. Arena+Golden) and the Persona 4 anime (undoubtedly featuring their own voice cast) some of these characters are going to have 3 English characterizations. Instead of 1 Chie you will have 3.

Her voice as Serah, Catherine, Marta, and Cheria has proven to me otherwise.

UberTag

Her voice as Serah, Catherine, Marta, and Cheria has proven to me otherwise.
And how many of those sound like Lust from Fullmetal Alchemist?
Just because someone has their trademark characterizations (something casting directors will often seek out) doesn't mean they can't do others.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That picture on the bottom of the cover looks weird?

Also wtf I still need to finish Persona 4.

First Run. Got EVERY social link maxed. Got every Persona. I got several Persona I made with Resist/Absorb/Reflect All (I think I made Beelzebub and Metatron among possibly others). I got all the equipment including the fishing stuff. I think the last thing I was trying to do was level Helel in the most opportune way possible stat wise and recreate Satan with a good set of skills (I had a good Satan setup but had to use him to make the Resistant to everything Persona).

Too bad we can't import our PS2 saves.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
If some of you watched soap operas you'd have killed yourselves or burned down the studio after one too many sudden actor changes.

kayos90

Just because someone has their trademark characterizations (something casting directors will often seek out) doesn't mean they can't do others.

It's rare that it happens ugh. I'm not saying that she's a bad VA. I'm just sick of that voice which is probably what we're going to get... *sigh*.

Raiho

Neo Member
Also, Yuri L. for new Teddie in that Arena video made me want to kill myself.

Good news! New Teddie is not Yuri Lowenthal. Sam Riegel is Teddie's new voice actor. Though it really does sound like Yosuke doing a poor imitation of Teddie at times. Still, that should restore your will to live!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Be strong!
But it comes with a Teddie phone strap! :O

Kidding, I just noticed the price on HMV and noted that it was pretty cheap, and that I'd have more time to play it during its summer release than its fall release. I could probably buy Nayuta no Kiseki or Innocence R instead.

we.are.the.armada said:
Dark Schala knows whats up. We should let Aram know that we'd pay top dollar for collector edition merch. You know, like the Vita cover, stickers, poster, drink coasters, pins, and maybe another OST CD?
I wouldn't be surprised if we got an LE package for it like the original P4 did before it. But I don't see that many Atlus portable games getting a ton stuff in their LEs (just a soundtrack CD, usually).

kayos90 said:
Are you admitting that you liked the old Chie VA? I thought she was horrible... Ugh. Also, Yuri L. for new Teddie in that Arena video made me want to kill myself.
I don't think she's that bad, but after a while she seemed to just 'fit' the character.

I thought it was Sam Riegel who is the new voice for Teddie. I thought it was Yuri Lowenthal at first but then I said to myself, "why would they get the same guy to do Yosuke and Teddie? He'll constantly talk to himself since Teddie and Yosuke talk to each other a lot."

kayos90 said:
Schala doesn't know ANYTHING!!!!!!! Lol. Jk.
I know you're mad because I haven't seen the new ep of Fate/Zero yet. :(

UberTag said:
This is true; Bailey does have a lot of range, as her voicework in Nier can demonstrate. She seems like the type of actress who can do a lot of stuff in one take, which is a good thing.

I'm kind of tired of listening to her voice in almost everything. Especially since her voice automatically = Omochao for me. I think I've played several games with her voice in them in the past six months alone. Nothing against her or her talent at all.

kayos90

I don't think she's that bad, but after a while she seemed to just 'fit' the character.

I thought it was Sam Riegel who is the new voice for Teddie. I thought it was Yuri Lowenthal at first but then I said to myself, "why would they get the same guy to do Yosuke and Teddie? He'll constantly talk to himself since Teddie and Yosuke talk to each other a lot."

I know you're mad because I haven't seen the new ep of Fate/Zero yet. :(

Yosuke and Teddie are butt buddies anyway. Lol. Also, the new episode wasn't very good...

scy

I'm reminded that I spent something like a week making some perfect demons for P4 PS2 and then ... doing nothing with them.

So I guess I'll spend forever-and-a-half fusing things. Again.

Also, I need a swag edition because yes, swag.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If some of you watched soap operas you'd have killed yourselves or burned down the studio after one too many sudden actor changes.
To its credit, Y&R seems pretty consistent. Watched one episode last week with my mom, and the actors were the same as the actors I saw a few months ago.

Usually they'll announce if someone's recast at the beginning of the episode, but I don't think they do it too often--or at least on the ones my mom watches--because people like the show because of the actors fitting into the characters. I guess it's a likeness thing.

SORASing a character is completely different, though. It makes sense for a character to be recast in that instance.

kayos90 said:
Yosuke and Teddie are butt buddies anyway. Lol. Also, the new episode wasn't very good...
Aw, really? The setup for the episode seemed really good last week, though. Ah well, I'll watch it still. I need to get caught up by Saturday.

Sophia

Good news! New Teddie is not Yuri Lowenthal. Sam Riegel is Teddie's new voice actor. Though it really does sound like Yosuke doing a poor imitation of Teddie at times. Still, that should restore your will to live!

Wait, are you saying that's Sam Riegel in the P4 Arena video?

... that makes it even worse. ><

randomkid

Haha, this phenomenon happens so often but I can never tell if it's just a mere exposure effect on my end or if the actors are loosening up over time and actually getting better at their deliveries/easing into their roles. So many games where I cringe for the first few hours before getting over it and eventually thinking "great job!" Then again, you'll always have your Fuukas and Ikutsukis that you just feel like strangling the entire 80 hour playthrough.

Also, why are people acting like multiple roles for an actor are something odd, would footage of Hank Azaria or Billy West sessions blow your minds?

I'm kind of tired of listening to her voice in almost everything. Especially since her voice automatically = Omochao for me. I think I've played several games with her voice in them in the past six months alone. Nothing against her or her talent at all.

Shes basically in the same room as Nolan North then :p

Sophia

Also, why are people acting like multiple roles for an actor are something odd, would footage of Hank Azaria or Billy West sessions blow your minds?

It's okay when they actually have the range to do such things. Actors like Lowenthal don't quite have that range, and are better off preforming their niche to it's fullest.

stupei

People do not watch soap operas because they take the characters seriously, though.

Yes, some of us take Chie seriously. Do you have a problem with that?
LLShC.gif

If Vita gets a few more "must have" games then I'll consider getting it. But a port of a game that I have played to death isn't enough for me to throw down $250 for a Vita.

I wonder what the new features are?
Watch them put extra costumes and an"answer" scenario and you wont be able to resist

Aeana

I just played through a part of Binary Domain where Johnny Yong Bosch voiced four characters that all existed within a couple feet of each other.

kayos90

I just played through a part of Binary Domain where Johnny Yong Bosch voiced four characters that all existed within a couple feet of each other.

So... since you don't like JYB, how did that make you feel. LOL.

Fuck you guys! Imma go crumple into a fetal position listening to Morrissey! I hope you're happy! :p

Just note that P3 doesn't let you fully control your party. Which isn't a bad thing, but a deal breaker for some people because they ended up fighting this mechanic more than the enemies themselves 98% of the time.

Fixed.

Tracey Rooney NAILED that character. It's extra wierd as her and Teddy were the two that Hashino knew would be a tough localization effort due to their extremely Japanese speech patterns.

Eusis

There is not a single person who thought this game would not be released by Atlus USA. Not one.

Oh I think there were plenty of them, but there seem to be these people who expect a localization announcement minutes after a Japanese release announcement.
I'm sure a few paranoid crazies/idiots thought we really might not have been getting it. For me, the surprise is that they didn't wait until the game came out in Japan or E3 happened.
Maybe he's actually the human incarnation of Starbucks.

Jigsaw

Banned
new chie?boooo : ( she was my favourite character just because of her voice

if the new chie sounds similar why not just record the new lines and let the old ones in,you won't probably hear a difference anyway on vita's speakers

inner-G

Banned

Yes, and you should really play it first.

4 makes improvements that make 3 hard to go back to, but if you play 3 first, it's no biggie.

Venfayth

Yes, and you should really play it first.

4 makes improvements that make 3 hard to go back to, but if you play 3 first, it's no biggie.

Yeah FES is awkward to go to after you play 4. That's how I started, with 4, then P3P, then FES. If you have a psp or a vita, you can do P3P after 4 because it's been 4-ized.

Top Bottom