• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan |OT| - Like a Braus

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
lrdpRqc.png

TnZ7BM3.png

Since this game is based off of an ongoing manga series, please MARK ALL SPOILERS using the proper spoiler tags. As obviously we will be having people new to the series wandering in and granted some content is already visible, still have the decency to not outright spoil things by not using tags.

eBaQIkK.png

Attack On Titan
Platform:
c9c3PD2.png

Release Date: 02-18-2016 (JPN)
Genre: Tactical Hunting Action
Publisher: Koei Tecmo Games
Player(s): 1 (Up to 4 players in online co-op in future content update)
CERO: D (17 and up)
Price:
PlayStation 4 - Physical 7,800 JPY / Download 6,762 JPY (Tax Not Included)
PlayStation 3 - Physical 7,800 JPY / Download 6,762 JPY (Tax Not Included)
PlayStation V - Physical 6,800 JPY / Download 6,000 JPY (Tax Not Included)
*All 3 versions support Cross-Save functionality using online network.

UpnmOGt.png

• Tactical Hunting Action
    In a cruel battlefield where the state of battle is constantly changing, the result of the player’s strategy has a direct connection to moving forward. In a game that offers high tactical freedom, the thrill of hunting action and fighting giant bosses are fused together to provide a new sense of battle never seen before in a video game. Depending on the tactical situation, you can proceed slowly and carefully or challenge the titan without warning. The player’s actions affect the direction of battle in a big way. This is hunting action in a new form.
  • 3D Maneuverability and Body Part Destruction
    Players can make full use of the 3D Maneuver Gear to zip freely around the sky and battle titans. By using type of action, you can rush quickly to companions in a pinch, and at times, it will attract the attention of enemies and they’ll run through the battlefield. In order to defeat a titan, it is necessary to attack its “nape.” To do this, you’ll need to attack from high altitudes and defeat titans by first destroying body parts like arms and legs, and then driving your blade into the titan’s nape. With this introduction of body part destruction, a higher level of strategic action is added to the game.
  • Battlefield Drama Unfolds Across Vast Stages
    Just like the original work, each character has a purpose and fights titans on a vast battlefield, and the state of battle rapidly changes according to this. Additionally, there will be changes within the city, such as walls and roofs collapsing as a result of battle, and it may affect the range of action players can take. The state of battle is constantly changing and the feeling of tension is high. A large number of scenarios that place the spotlight on popular characters are being prepared to develop the game’s dramatic story. It should appeal strongly to fans of the original work.
  • Relive the Epic Story With High-End Graphics
    In this game, players will relive the deep story of the Attack on Titan anime. Characters such as Eren, Mikasa, and so on that were key to the original story will appear, of course, and their voice actors are the same as they were in the anime. Additionally, the “Physics Toon Shader,” the game’s newly developed graphical representation, offers original graphics with the theme of “fusing the anime world and game world.” As a result, you can play the game feeling like you’re freely controlling a character in the anime.
  • There are ten playable characters: Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Krista, Sasha, Connie, Jean, Levi, Hange, and Erwin.
  • The story is intended to let users experience the first season of the anime from beginning to end. Depending on where the story is, the character you control will change.
  • Scenes from the original work, highlights for each character, and so on are being created as proper events.
  • The story has been produced well enough people who don’t know of the original work to understand the story of Attack on Titan.
  • There will be original episodes not featured in the original work by the original author and supervising editor that shed the spotlight on characters.
  • In addition to the story mode, there is an “Investigation Outside the Walls Mode” where you can go about various missions playing as your favorite character. This mode can be used for character development, finding weapon materials, and gathering funds.
  • After clearing the story mode, a Warriors-style “Free Mode” unlocks where you can play stages with your favorite characters.
  • During battles, you’ll move along and fight throughout the stage to achieve the stated goal. In the middle, sub-missions like “Save So-and-So from a Dilemma” will occur. There are also hidden missions.
  • Players can also battle titans by themselves, but in order to inflict immediate damage, it’s important to fight alongside allies.
  • Players can give basic instructions to their allies while fighting against the titans. Based on the character, there are even situations where you can give direct orders.
  • While moving around on the Three Dimensional Maneuver Gear, you can go any place freely so long as the wire can hit it. The Square button is to shoot the wire and X is to boost.
  • You’ll automatically shoot to the place where the wire hooks. While flying through the air, you can designate the direction you want to go with the left stick.
  • Given the sense of the speed while moving around with the Three Dimensional Maneuver Gear, there were some 3D motion sickness problems, but Koei Tecmo says it was able to successfully resolve them.
  • Characters have a movement mode and a combat mode. You can switch to combat mode with the R1 button as you approach a titan. During combat mode, your wire shots are devoted to the titan rather than to general movement.
  • The pendulum-like movement of the wire shots from the original work will be reproduced in the game. Also, given that you’ll fight while almost never touching the ground, the game will remain faithful to the setup of the original work.
  • When piercing the titans with the wire, you can move around the titan. Because your attack damage is decided based on speed and timing, to kill the enemy with a single blow, you should use the X button to boost and follow up with the Triangle button to attack.
  • The blades and gas of the Three Dimensional Maneuver Gear will use up. And the distance that the wire can be shot depend on the weapon equipped.
  • Players will be able to customize their weapons’ durability, sharpness, gas capacity, wire shot range, and movement speed based on their play style.
  • There are a large number of original weapons, including Japanese sword-style blades.
  • When you defeat a titan, there are times you can get items or a swallowed soldier will come out.
  • Sometimes, you’ll be able to recover resources from titans. You can use these resources to forge and develop new weapons.
  • The nape is a titan’s weakness, but there is a good reward for those who destroy all of its parts, like its arms and legs.
  • As you use each character and increase the amount of time you practice, new skills will unlock.
  • Almost all the buildings in the city can be destroyed.
*Credits to Gematsu
*Credits to Gematsu for the 2nd half of the features list

fSvC0SR.png

o3MpXP7.jpg
xUf4NqC.jpg
1f6bk7H.jpg
PHgX3gV.jpg
vwDdWx0.jpg
FaafNHA.jpg
lCqCg8w.jpg

PnClPge.jpg
pdMWbb2.jpg
VfNVEXx.jpg
cKo1vni.jpg
p1hMq9u.jpg
DDoTdWL.jpg

3wK5yuY.png

xEIxMrz.jpg
CwOJGmg.jpg
fLK4Jod.jpg
rstow1w.jpg
U7ko08H.jpg
lzY6q5w.jpg

f2A1RRP.jpg
OToUSzX.jpg
9QXiym8.jpg
vpi9a3O.jpg
02nKan1.jpg
njUUckL.jpg

mIV067S.png

twQB7wA.png

Opening Movie
First Trailer
Second Trailer
Third Trailer
Basic Actions
Cooperate and Fight
Elite Gameplay
Mikasa Ackerman VA Yui Ishikawa JP Commentary + Gameplay Footage Pt.1
Mikasa Ackerman VA Yui Ishikawa JP Commentary + Gameplay Footage Pt. 2
Potato Quality Footage from Livestream event?
More Potato Quality Footage from Different Livestream event Pt.1
Potato Quality Footage from Different Livestream event Pt.2
Short PS Vita Footage
ShonenGameZ Recorded Gameplay Playlist

Recorded Footage
Attack on Titan - PS4 - Scout mode
Attack on Titan PS4 - 1st "real" story mode mission (spoilers)
Attack on Titan PS4 - Titan Gameplay (spoilers)

VjaNjQ8.png

#-1:
Q: Does this game have online co-op?
A: Quote from Gematsu Post: "Koei Tecmo’s Attack on Titan game for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and PS Vita will add online four-player co-op via a major update on March 24, the publisher announced."

#0:
Q: Any word on localization for the West?
A: Do believe that the game is slated for a 2016 release in the West also.

#1:
Q: What type of game is this?
A: Action game where you get to pretty much simulate the manga / anime "Attack on Titan". Watch the videos if this does not make sense to you.

#2:
Q: Do I need to know Japanese to play this game?
A: Do you need to know Japanese in order to cut vegetables? Jokes aside if you want to know whats going on dialog wise then yes. If you want to cut down naked giants of all shapes and sizes, then no.

#3:
Q: Is this game based on an ongoing series?
A: Based off of the on-going manga "Attack on Titan". If you are not familiar with it, do not sugguest doing random google searches due to spoilers all over the place with how far along the series is.

#4:
Q: Should I watch the anime before playing this?
A: Thats a good question, but for example if the recent "The Heroic Legend of Arslan" also by Koei Tecmo is any example, the games story should be done well enough for it to bring newcomers into the series. Though of course you might enjoy things more if you knew who all the characters are from the get go.

#5:
Q: How many characters from the story are playable?
A: As stated in the features section "Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Krista, Sasha, Connie, Jean, Levi, Hange, and Erwin."

#6:
Q: Are there any official review scores out?
A: Attack on Titan (PS4) – 8/9/9/8 [34/40]
Attack on Titan (PS3) – 8/9/9/8 [34/40]
Attack on Titan (PSV) – 8/9/9/8 [34/40]
*Credits to Gematsu

tq3UFES.png

AmiAmi
Nippon-Yasan
CD Japan
HMV Japan
*Disclaimer: Neither GAF nor myself has any sort of affiliation with the following sites above. These are just the most common ones members frequently speak of when it comes to online import shops and these links are for the convenience of the members who are still interested in importing the Japanese version of the game. Mods if you feel this is inappropriate let me know and will remove this section.

eWLgakX.png

• Thanks goes out to Koei Tecmo Games for the resources used to make up the graphics in this OT.
  • Thanks goes out to Gematsu for the informational resources found within this OT. Without their information these OTs would not be possible this fast and frequent.
  • Thanks goes out to Dieter Steffmann for the "Canterbury" font.
  • Thanks goes out to 1001 Free Fonts for the awesome selection of fonts.
  • Thanks goes out to *Takeru for the ShonenGamez YT AOT gameplay playlist.

qkrjXhK.gif

Parakeetman

will add a disclaimer in regards to warning folks about using spoiler tags in relation to the story and such later
added

remember people not everyone has read the manga or watched the show so do tag content related to plot and such.

As usual have my copy already, though as always did not open it till the OT was finished.

Man Im glad I found this image archived somewhere else. As it had changed to the release date from 1 day remaining. Best one in the bunch was this
uzpyw27.jpg

WITHE1982

OK I genuinely LOL'd at the OT title.

Waiting on the Western release but will sub to this thread for impressions.

Can't wait to form my Mikasa/Levi dream-team

sensui-tomo

You forgot the dreaded " IMPORT OT" , you'll have that one guy complain later and have people barging in here thinking its out in english. 1/5 thread , FOR SHAME /s

On a more serious note great thread, looking forward to hearing impressions from gaffers, hoping the game mechanics feel good.

Kysen

At my lunch break the download timer said one hour left, can't wait to get home tonight. My most hyped release so far this year.

Figured I'd ask this here, there are two Attack on Titan games coming out right? One that's more single player focused and one multiplayer? Or am I thinking of this game?

Either way I'm waiting until this comes to the West, I just wanna know what I'm hyping up to my friends.

Parakeetman

Totally read "PlayStation V" as "PlayStation 5" and was very confused for a moment.

I always hated how "PlayStation Vita" fucks up the formatting of the prices when its all "current" sony platforms listed. So this time just went with V.

Figured I'd ask this here, there are two Attack on Titan games coming out right? One that's more single player focused and one multiplayer? Or am I thinking of this game?

Either way I'm waiting until this comes to the West, I just wanna know what I'm hyping up to my friends.

There will be an arcade one by Capcom.

There was a MP compat one on the 3DS.

This game will have up to 4 players online co-op in content update in the future.

Yikes.

Combat footage looks really bad.

The Titans have zero A.I.

They just stand there while getting sliced and diced :/

Probably playing on a low difficulty. Also, not expecting the lower level Titans to do too much rather than try to grab you when you're close, so I'm not too worried about it.

Yawnier

Banned
I've been dreaming of a dynasty warriors/musou game to have gameplay elements like this for years. Can't wait for this to come out west, koei tecmo pls.

pbayne

Really hyped for this but ill wait for the Western release. Cant believe it looks as good as it does.

Wonder how far into the story they'll go.

NesFe

Great OT as always !

I'm going to wait to see some vita impressions before I buy this game. It's either going to be this, Project Setsuna or wait for Hero must die(I enjoyed the demo).

DarkKyo

Really hyped for this but ill wait for the Western release. Cant believe it looks as good as it does.

Wonder how far into the story they'll go.

The ape titan looks to be the last boss so it sounds like they're going pretty far! I don't think he ever showed up in the anime but in the manga
it seems like that fight may happen in the next few chapters

FireCloud

Looking forward to hearing people's reaction to this game. I am definitely considering grabbing it when the NA release rolls around (whenever that may be).

I just hope that some of the Titans are more energetic than the one's we've seen in the early demos. I'm also interested in hearing how hard it is to control the camera in this game. It won't be much fun if you're having to fight both the Titans and the camera at the same time.

jennetics

The game looks really cool...but I'm still a little cautious about the whole thing. Here's hoping my initial instinct is wrong.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder if the whole point of the game is trying to find a basement, only to have the game throw up a To Be Continued screen right before they get there.

Parakeetman

Great OT OP. I am looking forward to this when it comes out here.

Really great OT but I'll wait for the West version, hope it's good.

Great OT! Hoping to hear some good things about this.

Great OT as always !

I'm going to wait to see some vita impressions before I buy this game. It's either going to be this, Project Setsuna or wait for Hero must die(I enjoyed the demo).

Thanks folks!

orochi91

Probably playing on a low difficulty. Also, not expecting the lower level Titans to do too much rather than try to grab you when you're close, so I'm not too worried about it.

Yea, the anime mostly had those dumb-lumbering normal Titans.

They should have loaded the game up with Deviant/Abnormal types, lol

T-Rex.

Banned
Really good OT. I was so tempted to import, but no english subs means I'll wait for localisation. How's the difficulty for those who have played it? From all the clips and stuff it looks really good, but quite easy.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Yikes.

Combat footage looks really bad.

The Titans have zero A.I.

They just stand there while getting sliced and diced :/

Yeah, I was intrigued by them making a "Titan Musou," but all the footage I've seen stopped me from buying it. Will be interested to see what people think about the game and if the AI gets better. Right now, it looks awesome swinging all over the place, but the combat just looks flat-out boring.

Parakeetman

Interesting, the games combat is about placement and timing.

Placement in regards to being at the right angles of attack, which is what the whole purpose is of tethering yourself to the titans and rotating around them to get into a good angle of attack.

Then once you begin your advance towards them its timing the attack at the right moment to cause the most damage. The more speed the more damage is dealt with a successful hit.

If you get good at understanding this and using the auto-lock on system for going after the other body parts then could imagine it will make things pretty easy. But thats the whole point really is feeling like a badass from the manga / anime.

Though would imagine things will be a mess trying to take down multiple at once that are bunched up due to others getting in the way.

Just did a trial by fire like I usually do and threw myself right into combat with that scout mode.

kewlmyc

Wait, Monkey Trouble's in this game? Awesome.
Didn't think the game would cover that since the anime hasn't gotten that far.

Top Bottom