• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan |OT| - Like a Braus

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
OeEnSYY.jpg

lol perfection.

Man I cant decide if I want to advance the story more to get more characters unlocked or do more recon mode and just go after collecting cash and resources as can do that at a faster rate as I dont have story cutscenes to worry about. D:

Playing right now, first impression... Who the fuck thought it was a great idea to map movement to square? Switched that shit to L2 immediately! Jesus...

royox

Relive the Epic Story With High-End Graphics

No. This is a PS3 game ported to Vita and PS4, it won't have "high-end graphics". For god's sake they think people is that stupid?

Parakeetman

No. This is a PS3 game ported to Vita and PS4, it won't have "high-end graphics". For god's sake they think people is that stupid?

The game is being developed with PlayStation 4 as the lead platform. Previously, Koei Tecmo would base its games on PlayStation 3, brush it up for PlayStation 4, and release a PlayStation 3-level handheld version for PS Vita. This time, PlayStation 4 is being given priority.

Credits to Gematsu

Full Original Japanese Source

『進撃の巨人』はPS4をベースに開発中。今まではPS3を軸にして、PS4をブラッシュアップ版、PS Vitaは携帯機でPS3レベルのものが遊べる、といった形で行っていましたが、今回はPS4が基本となります。

Christian

Koei Tecmo gets all my moneys. I'm really looking forward to this, and I might end up picking it up on both PS4 and Vita. I'm tempted with PW3, I'm definitely going to with DQH2. And this looks like another one. Great stuff.

NesFe

I had one complaint which was falling on the ground after you cut a body part untill I realized you can hit x afterwards and then square to latch into another body part keeping you in the air while killing the titans. Now, my mission is staying in the air while killing titans off. Overall, happy with the game so far.

B00TE

Tempted to grab this off the HK store now, I still have some money on there. I'd just need to add 20-ish bucks. Waiting to see how content heavy it is though. Scout mode looks/sounds awesome.

Walpurgis

Banned
Ok it's not a PS3 port to PS4 but even with this it's clear that they can't add everything they could add to the PS4 version because they have to port it to PS3.

I wish this was not the case but that's how this industry usually works.

Yeah, it doesn't actually look that great. If you don't have Storm graphics from last gen, then you can't claim to have high end graphics.
At least it looks better than J-Stars

Playing right now, first impression... Who the fuck thought it was a great idea to map movement to square? Switched that shit to L2 immediately! Jesus...

Huh, that sounds like it'd be much better. I'll have to mess around in options again, was lucky enough to find invert camera. xD

B00TE

Bought it after watching more videos, this is a -lot- of fun for how simple it is. I've heard the story mode isn't terribly long so I'm hoping the other mode provides a good chunk of content, but so far it's just damn fun to play.

Yeah, it doesn't actually look that great. If you don't have Storm graphics from last gen, then you can't claim to have high end graphics.
At least it looks better than J-Stars
'doesn't look that great my ass'. The character cel-shading looks absolutely gorgeous.

Parakeetman

Beat the main part of story mode good stuff. Most def a game for fans.

Though the extra content after you need to have some strong equipment as the HP of the titans is a lot higher.

Most def got my $$$ worth out of the game already though.

Is there a way to turn off the HUD or some parts of it? From the videos I saw, it seems a little annoying, so many things in the screen...

Kysen

Beat the main part of story mode good stuff. Most def a game for fans.

Though the extra content after you need to have some strong equipment as the HP of the titans is a lot higher.

Most def got my $$$ worth out of the game already though.
Yep the difficulty definitely ramps up near the end. I wish they added multiplayer already, would be a lot of fun to take on harder missions with others.

Parakeetman

Yep the difficulty definitely ramps up near the end. I wish they added multiplayer already, would be a lot of fun to take on harder missions with others.

yeah on the 1 star from max rank missions i literally have no time to take off parts and such just need to go straight for the kills or else things go to shit real fast with the missions.

still am trying to find the super high rank metal to upgrade the katanas further but zero luck yet with drops on that. so been just smashing other blades into it and slowly upgrading it further that way.

jjasso21

Just wondering, will this game have subtitles? Or is it easy to navigate the UI? If so, I'm tempted to import it. I saw a few gameplay videos as well as followed the anime and manga, and it looked like it would be fun.

Mit-

Unrelated (but kinda related) to the game: should I just read the manga?

I watched the anime a month ago and thought it was the greatest thing ever.

They say season 2 of the anime won't happen until the manga is four arcs ahead of season 1. It's been almost 3 years, and the manga is only 2 arcs ahead. Simple math tells me season 2 won't be out until 2018/2019, even though a lot of people were expecting it this year for seemingly no reason.

munchie64

They say season 2 of the anime won't happen until the manga is four arcs ahead of season 1. It's been almost 3 years, and the manga is only 2 arcs ahead. Simple math tells me season 2 won't be out until 2018/2019, even though a lot of people were expecting it this year for seemingly no reason.
They've already released a preview, so it really shouldn't be that long.

It was announced as releasing in 2016 years ago: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/11/21-1/2016-attack-on-titan-season-2-plans-confirmed

Then they confirmed a February release: http://www.realtytoday.com/articles...-2-finally-confirms-feb-2016-anime-series.htm

And it got delayed again afterwards.

Mit-

They've already released a preview, so it really shouldn't be that long.

I read like a dozen similar articles a week and they always seem shoddy, especially the February confirmation articles. The only thing they ever have in common is bad english and that it won't be released until the manga is four arcs ahead, and it's only currently ahead by two. February came and went with nothing but the first five minutes of the new season being leaked at the beginning of the month, no word since.

Doesn't the release date of hugely anticipated series usually get announced months in advance?

Edit: shitty internet article links:
http://www.*******************/articles/40743/20160302/attack-on-titan-season-2-release-date.htm
http://www.**************/attack-on...-story-arcs-ahead-levi-ackerman-to-die/10411/
Edit 2: they're so shitty Neogaf blacklisted them lol

I started reading the manga in tankobon format recently; would it be best to finish reading those and then play, or does it really not matter?

If you dont really care about the anime, you can go ahead. Fans dont read or continue reading the manga because they want to experience the story through the anime and honestly I cant blame them, I would too but the wait for S2 was getting too tedious so gave in.

If you dont really care about the anime, you can go ahead. Fans dont read or continue reading the manga because they want to experience the story through the anime and honestly I cant blame them, I would too but the wait for S2 was getting too tedious so gave in.

I watched a bit of the anime and felt the coloring and softened art style took away from the overall atmosphere. The game looks fun though, so I want to try it out.

Parakeetman

Quick question. How does the 3D Maneuver Gear feel? Will I enjoy it even for a little bit?

watch the vids

faster than me explaining.

though holding down square will constantly shoot the wires out that automatically attach to things if possible and you just direct the trajectory.

its not perfect but works good enough most of the time

that and in general the controls are not overly complex

Kysen

You have to time the square presses correctly otherwise instead of the usual trajectory of dashing forwards a little then swinging up, you end up just going horizontally till you hit a building.

You can tell you are getting the timing right as your character speeds up and starts doing acrobatics like in the anime. Makes the horse completely useless in city/tree maps as you can move so much faster.

Question: how much of a downgrade is the PS3 version compared to PS4? Will I be missing a lot if I play on PS3? Is the framerate smooth?

I don't have a PS4 now and although I will probably get one eventually, I want to hold out as long as possible...

There's a small preview of this game in the Official UK PlayStation mag, doesn't mention anything concrete about a localisation though.

Based on the footage I'd be up for it, it looks pretty much exactly what I'd want from an AoT game.

Parakeetman

Question: how much of a downgrade is the PS3 version compared to PS4? Will I be missing a lot if I play on PS3? Is the framerate smooth?

I don't have a PS4 now and although I will probably get one eventually, I want to hold out as long as possible...

considering the ps4 has pop in which is unavoidable can imagine its potentially greater on the ps3

Zipzo

Banned
Recently picked this game up and I have to make a pretty bold statement.

The 3DMG handling is absolutely magnificent.

It is so great that it even rivals the old feeling of Spider-Man 2 web-slinging. That game is basically only remembered as a cult-classic because of its web-slinging.

While different in concept, the handling of how your body moves and the physics feels very similar. There's just this huge sense of satisfaction you get for stylishly zipping across a town, from simply doing it well. This is a well designed game mechanic, I can't state it enough.

I could spend literally hours with this game not progressing simply because of the 3DMG handling being so damn enthralling. It's seriously that good.

I honestly am predisposed to hate show/movie games, or games based off of visual media...but this...this game is a winner.

awdrifter

I just got the PS3 version, the graphics and framerates are ok. Of course the pop-in is noticeable, but it's not unplayable.

For people who have finished it, how long is the game? Thanks.

hotsoup

Depends on what you mean by "finish the game".
Finishing the story (Shingeki mode 3 chapters, up until where the anime concludes) takes about 5-7hrs.
Finishing the entire Shingeki mode will take around 20-25hrs as you need to unlock the remaining stages individually by playing "free mode".

After that you unlock Shin Shingeki Mode i.e. hard mode. Optional to play obviously unless you are going for platinum.

Around 60-80hrs for platinum.

awdrifter

Cool, thanks for the info. I doubt I'll have time to platinum this game. I'll probably finish the story mode and play a bit of free mode.

awdrifter

I just unlocked 補強 (Reinforce?), it warns me that I will lose whatever thing I put in it. How does it work? Can someone give a simple explanation? Thanks.

Parakeetman

Such an awesome game. Having a blast tonight.

Game really is well done and does capture the feel of the anime itself quite well. Granted some things could be better, but overall fantastic title and the graphics with the characters and giants are spot on. But dear god at the highest rank missions in the recon mode. You seriously need some high damage equipment or else you wont be able to clear a lot of the stuff. The only other thing that would have made it even more epic is if they actually had access to the original OST. As that really is what was missing and would have added a lot more to the atmosphere I think.

I just unlocked 補強 (Reinforce?), it warns me that I will lose whatever thing I put in it. How does it work? Can someone give a simple explanation? Thanks.

It basically is scrapping other same equipment (same type not exact same item, blades with blades, gas tanks with gas tanks etc.) to add a + status to the base item. Which will up its stats slightly. Max is +99

Top Bottom