• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan |OT| - Like a Braus

So I decided to pick this up when i was in Tokyo for vacation and now that I'm back are there any English guides out there if not I guess I'll continue to google translate with my phone lol. Having a blast so far and will pick up the NA version but I just couldn't wait.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So I decided to pick this up when i was in Tokyo for vacation and now that I'm back are there any English guides out there if not I guess I'll continue to google translate with my phone lol. Having a blast so far and will pick up the NA version but I just couldn't wait.

There was that shonengamez sitr but no idea how much they added to what they initially did with menu SSes

Game comes out next Tuesday, can't wait. I played about 3 hours of the Japanese version and had fun. Can't wait to play it on PC. Now only if steam had it up for pre order.

DeviatePanda

Neo Member
Anyone know if PC will launch with co-op? Been itching to slice up some titans ever since the Feng Lee Unity game got closed.

EDIT: Double-checked the steam page, it is listed as having online co-op although any further information available there is very limited.

sanhora

The game just launched on Steam with a discount.

ui9jaAp.jpg

The local library is getting this in, and I'm trying to decide whether I should borrow it or not since I have a huge backlog and my gaming time has been limited this summer.

I'm not into manga, and find overly Japanese games to be a bit too out there sometimes. Does this game cater to Western gamers at all?

Parakeetman

The local library is getting this in, and I'm trying to decide whether I should borrow it or not since I have a huge backlog and my gaming time has been limited this summer.

I'm not into manga, and find overly Japanese games to be a bit too out there sometimes. Does this game cater to Western gamers at all?

It more really caters to those who like the manga or anime and wanted to do some titan killing action while flying through the air.

From what you explained not sure if you would have a good time. Just watch footage in the OP and see if that interests you is the best i can suggest.

Game isnt deep but sure does capture the action of the series very well.

aravuus

I can't stand the art style of the manga, but I've always been pretty interested in the story. Might have to keep an eye on this and see if it's a good way to experience the story.

It more really caters to those who like the manga or anime and wanted to do some titan killing action while flying through the air.

From what you explained not sure if you would have a good time. Just watch footage in the OP and see if that interests you is the best i can suggest.

Game isnt deep but sure does capture the action of the series very well.

Thanks. I've looked at some footage and am still on the fence.

How long is it?

I can't stand the art style of the manga, but I've always been pretty interested in the story. Might have to keep an eye on this and see if it's a good way to experience the story.

The art in the manga is horrendous (and while the anime saves it, it's terribly paced), so this might not actually be a bad way to experience it.

I'm a sucker for games that have the high speed/scale/movement of the old Spider-Man games, so I'm definitely keeping an eye on this one. And if it cuts off where the anime ends, hey, all the better.

Parakeetman

Thanks. I've looked at some footage and am still on the fence.

How long is it?

Am not sure on time wise but content wise even after the story stuff there is all the recon missions to do which adds more content. That mode though to do better in the later stages you most def will need to be working a lot on upgrading your weapon / gas tank / 3d maneuver gear since the titans get stronger as the difficulty gets higher. It can get pretty hectic in that mode with the later stages. I had beaten the main story and was focusing on the recon missions got pretty far but did not clear all of them yet due to needing to upgrade more. As my damage output was not taking down titans fast enough to be able to clear the missions as we mounted far too many casualties. But Im pretty sure I was near the end as the difficulty ratings were almost / were? maxed out.

One thing for sure is as a "60" dollar title I would imagine folks will get their $$$ worth. Even more so for those who are fans of the series just due to how well done it is overall.

But on the flip side it will depend how much one enjoys the gameplay presented within the title. Besides damage output via weapon upgrades, the combat in general is about positioning and timing rather than being something like button combos etc. That is why had mentioned that the game is not deep in particular. Its more about being efficient since some of the levels you really need to keep going in order not to rack up casualties of your allies due to taking too long. So learning the movement mechanics and how to efficiently take down the titans is what the main focus is with the gameplay. Though when you start getting into the groove and take down titan after titan in succession its pretty cool. Spiderman with Knives lol

Abylim

Is there any leveling or gear? Upgrading or the like?

I'm in love with the anime and this looks fantastic

EDIT: oh, post above me semi answers this. Thanks! Sounds great

Parakeetman

Is there any leveling or gear? Upgrading or the like?

I'm in love with the anime and this looks fantastic

Its been a while since i played the JP one but I think there was leveling which effected what gear you could use.

Equipment that can be upgraded breaks down into

Blades - Damage, Durability

Gas Tank - Gas Reserves, Strength of Propellant

3D Maneuver Gear - Strength of the Anchors when attached to something, Range, How fast the wires will reel you in

Am sure there is other stuff Im forgetting with what the stats represented was with each item.

Resources are gained from completing missions and severing titan parts that have what looks like a yellow rock icon on it.

You can also buy certain resources back at the base along with equipment. Plus sell any resources you may not need.

Besides upgrading to make new equipment you can also combine existing equipment to add a + status (up to 99 I think) to it that enhances its stats. Useful for when you hit a wall with equipment and need to still squeeze out more performance. I know it can be done with the blades, but do not remember if it also worked for the gas tank / 3d maneuver gear

NeoRaider

Sad to see bad reviews about the PC port.

No resolution support higher than 1080p.
No V-Sync.
No AA.
No M+K support.
Crashes...

Why they can't hire someone capable to do their ports? I really wanted to buy and support this. :(

cireza

My Xbox One version should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to play this :)

OP should mention that there is an Xbox One version too...

Parakeetman

My Xbox One version should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to play this :)

OP should mention that there is an Xbox One version too...

This aint the OT for the western release. Folks are just using here since no one else made an OT.

Uthred

No V-Sync.
No AA.
No M+K support.
Crashes...

Why they can't hire someone capable to do their ports? I really wanted to buy and support this. :(

Not excusing poor PC ports, but did people honestly want to play a game like this with K+M? (I also don't mind no V-sync as its nearly always better to force it via your graphics card).

prudislav

Not excusing poor PC ports, but did people honestly want to play a game like this with K+M? (I also don't mind no V-sync as its nearly always better to force it via your graphics card).
well with how the maneuver gear could potencially work ... free look with a mouse would be amazing

High-Def Digest - 4/5

'Attack on Titan' focuses on a single idea and nails it absolutely perfectly. The game runs the risk of feeling repetitive at times, but it smartly mitigates that by injecting enough variety into each mission and playable character. While the game isn't without its flaws, at its best, it's an extremely exciting action game with some of the greatest movement mechanics I've ever seen. (PS4 NA Version)

Zukkoyaki

Reviews are generally in the 7s and 8s. I'm quite pleasantly surprised! This game always appeared to be plenty competent but it seems that it's actually pretty good!

Shin-chan

If the movement in the game is fun I can probably forgive most other flaws. Especially if the Titan encounters are well designed.

Parakeetman

I'm assuming the story goes beyond where the anime is and into the current manga?

It goes past the anime yes, but not a while lot further.

The other stuff is all non related type of scenarios in the scout missions.

Kazer

No V-Sync.
No AA.
No M+K support.
Crashes...

Despite all this BS, I'm enjoying it on PC. It plays well with the Xbone controller.

Uthred

Apparently there is AA, in their rush to get out their hot take on the game our intrepid Steam reviewer failed to scroll down on the options page.

maskrider

List of resolutions

640x360/480
800x450/600
1024x576/768
1280x720/720
1280x720/768
1280x720/960
1280x720/1024
1600x900/900
1600x900/1200
1920x1080/1080
1920x1080/1200

PC Quality Settings, V-Sync seems off to me

aot_qs.jpg

Kaibutsu

well dammit, I just got a notification that my order from bestbuy.com is on backorder but they sent me the preorder dlc bonus... I guess I'll just order it from Amazon

Parakeetman

I didn't know too much about the Expedition Mode, so I was surprised to see that you can essentially go on a gauntlet of stages. Pretty cool. It's a neat take on the Free Mode from past Omega Force games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=111lz6huG1Y

I also like how they recreated some of the scenes from the anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbbbjjUKpTg

Yeah you can tell the team really was fans of the series since they did a fantastic job of bringing it into game form.

Am not sure on time wise but content wise even after the story stuff there is all the recon missions to do which adds more content. That mode though to do better in the later stages you most def will need to be working a lot on upgrading your weapon / gas tank / 3d maneuver gear since the titans get stronger as the difficulty gets higher. It can get pretty hectic in that mode with the later stages. I had beaten the main story and was focusing on the recon missions got pretty far but did not clear all of them yet due to needing to upgrade more. As my damage output was not taking down titans fast enough to be able to clear the missions as we mounted far too many casualties. But Im pretty sure I was near the end as the difficulty ratings were almost / were? maxed out.

One thing for sure is as a "60" dollar title I would imagine folks will get their $$$ worth. Even more so for those who are fans of the series just due to how well done it is overall.

But on the flip side it will depend how much one enjoys the gameplay presented within the title. Besides damage output via weapon upgrades, the combat in general is about positioning and timing rather than being something like button combos etc. That is why had mentioned that the game is not deep in particular. Its more about being efficient since some of the levels you really need to keep going in order not to rack up casualties of your allies due to taking too long. So learning the movement mechanics and how to efficiently take down the titans is what the main focus is with the gameplay. Though when you start getting into the groove and take down titan after titan in succession its pretty cool. Spiderman with Knives lol

Cheers

I guess I will borrow it sometime. I just want to beat the game -- I won't replay for scores or do all challenges or anything. No time or interest.

Cmagus

This game is a lot of fun and controls incredibly well. I'm just finishing up chapter 1 and killing titans feels so satisfying. It had a bit of a learning curve but 2 or so missions in it all clicked and feels great. Omega Force really knows how to make a good game I don't think I've been disappointed yet with one of their games.

List of resolutions

640x360/480
800x450/600
1024x576/768
1280x720/720
1280x720/768
1280x720/960
1280x720/1024
1600x900/900
1600x900/1200
1920x1080/1080
1920x1080/1200
Damn, I would bite, but without my current resolution it would look blurry. I really need an HD monitor. In Dead Or Alive the problem was solved by a user who made a custom D3D Wrapper when you could set your custom resolution, I don't think this time is possible?

Top Bottom