• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2026

Its very clear they intentionally darknened the scene so you couldn't see his missing bottom half.

They did the same censoring technique with the Jojo anime.
As I said before, I'm confident the Blu-ray release will be gorier.

manfestival

I thought the episode was ok. A little too mikasa heavy for my liking and definitely the weakest of all of the episodes. However, everything was handled in a way that made sense and never felt "cheap" or "cheapened"

I thought it was implied pretty clearly without actually showing anything that
Franz was horribly mutilated in some way that would make CPR pointless.

I don't know, I thought
Hannah's gear kind of made it unclear his entire bottom half was gone.
The angle could have been better.

trejo

Ep 6 spoilers

I don't understand why some of you feel like it's indispensable to always have the blood and guts in full view whenever possible. Sometimes it's more impactful to just leave things to the imagination than to have gratuitous gore everywhere, you know? I mean, what the hell did you guys think was going on in that scene based on the character's actions and demeanor? That maybe the guy had simply shat his pants in fear and was too embarrassed to answer back so he was just faking it?

Ep 6 spoilers

I don't understand why some of you feel like it's indispensable to always have the blood and guts in full view whenever possible. Sometimes it's more impactful to just leave things to the imagination than to have gratuitous gore everywhere, you know? I mean, what the hell did you guys think was going on in that scene based on the character's actions and demeanor? That maybe the guy had simply shat his pants in fear and was too embarrassed to answer back so he was just faking it?

I'm fine with it not being in full view, I just want it to be clear. Had Hannah taken off her gear beforehand, you could tell right away Franz was missing the bottom half of his body.

Kettch

Ep 6 spoilers

I generally don't mind censoring, it's to be expected, but
the entire point of that scene is the reveal shot. You go from:

Hidden shots: Oh, another minor character died. That's sad. To:
Reveal shot: Holy shit, she's trying to revive her lover's upper torso :eek:

Not a huge deal, but I'm not fond of it at all when it changes the meaning of a scene.

Jarmel

Banned

Not a huge deal, but I'm not fond of it at all when it changes the meaning of a scene.

Exactly. The way it was framed is always done for the impact of the reveal shock. It's supposed to be gruesome for the impact on the viewer. Instead they tried to censor it but still did the storyboarding in the same manner.

It's like someone trying to argue that Saving Private Ryan would be just as effective without all the gore shots.

RangerBAD

Still pretty clear he has no legs. If you recall, he was pretty tall. So either he's a little person or the impact of him missing half his body is clearly there.

kewlmyc

I'm kinda disappointed that episode 6 ended with the flashback. I thought it was going to end with
Misaka being rescued
. I felt like that would have more impact as a cliffhanger. Still a good episode. I never noticed that Misaka crushed the knife handle in the manga. Holy shit.

Sallokin

Finally caught up with episode 6. I love that back story bit. It definitely helps to flesh out their relationship more. Next episode is going to be a good one I think based on that preview.

I really need to read the manga.

Erigu

I'm kinda disappointed that episode 6 ended with the flashback. I thought it was going to end with
Misaka being rescued
. I felt like that would have more impact as a cliffhanger. Still a good episode. I never noticed that Misaka crushed the knife handle in the manga. Holy shit.
Careful with manga spoilers!

Soriku

Agree.
I had no idea half his torso was gone. Now, it was obvious that he died, but I thought Armin just inferred that which is why he said that reviving him was pointless. But seeing half his torso gone would've changed things entirely. Same result but different perspective.

Kinyou

Ep 6 spoilers

Armin spend most of the last episodes shitting his pants, so yeah, initially I thought he just blacked out again

Probably means they got their working raw from the studio at the very last second. Their priority would be getting it to the stations rather than some overseas streaming distributor.

It's the same situation as to why the Fukuoka and Hokkaido networks have been broadcasting incomplete versions of the episodes even though they only air it 2 days later. Different broadcasters have their own deadlines for submission of materials due to various reasons. In the case of FUNi and CR, they're online streaming services so they can afford to wait for the finished materials even if it means a delay in streaming. The Japanese viewers in the Fukuoka and Hokkaido regions aren't so lucky, so they have to settle for an unfinished version which gets submitted to the broadcasters earlier.

They're basically working down to the wire here, probably finishing the episodes within the day or within hours of it broadcasting on the primary station on Saturday nights.

i had no idea they sent unfinished episodes to broadcast like this. i assumed shows air with most if not all the episodes already animated. man what a tough career :/ i would be totally for a 1 week break so these guys can catch up but that would never happen.

Decided to jump on because I keep seeing this thread getting bumped, saw the show mentioned in the weekly "what anime should I check out threads," and thought the Titan artwork was intriguing. So is this is a story that will eventually end, or is this another Berserk type situation? Anyways, good show so far, and I'm going to check out the manga.

Articalys

What the hell, Crunchyroll?
Update: The delay was longer than was expected. However, we anticipate having the video up within the next 12 hours barring anything else going wrong. (Around or before approximately 9am PT on Monday.) We thank you for your continued patience.

Please see this post for some additional details: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-803059/attack-on-titan-air-time?fpid=43156915
Said post:
Original release time or not, unfortunately there is a technical issue with the licensor's delivery system causing a delay for the video to be delivered to us. As for the 7:50 pm MDT release time, that was not the intended release time. That listed time goes by the time the previous episode aired. Generally the time stays the same week to week but, due to the delays we've been having with AoT, the time listed for it was not accurate. The only accurate expected release time is when the episode itself is listed as Coming Soon with an exact release time as that is manually set.

That said, we're working to get a stable release time so that this doesn't keep happening as we're just as upset about it as everyone else.

To the current Episode 6 discussion in this thread:
I didn't even notice Franz was missing half of his body until I read this thread. Am I blind, or?

6 spoilers
Well we already knew what was going on with Franz at the end of the last episode. We saw his upper torso hanging out of the mouth.

Sarquiss_

Just finished watching episode 6 and enjoyed it for what it was. It added another dimension to both Eren and Mikasa's characters.

Cannot wait for the next episode :)

Pwn

itfFpP31v1XUU.jpg

Nice work.

Dizzy-4U

I usually like to watch something when all the episodes are done. Man, I made a huuuuge mistake.

5:20 AM, watched all the six episodes in one sitting and now the waiting game will kill me inside. It's been a great show so far for me, too many still shots but I guess I kinda understand that they need to save money somewhere.

About the story so far
No way in hell the kid is dead. What the hell was the point of the key and the injection then? Misdirection? Nah. He's gonna turn into the blond kid from Full Metal Alchemist or something. Or he'll absorb the titan's juice and regenerate the limbs.

Veronica

Banned
I have not watched anime since Evangelion, and I can honestly say this is some amazing shit. I would even say it's one of those animes that come along every 10+ years, like Kenshin, EVA, Death Note, etc.

Gripping as hell. Thanks for this, GAF.

Soriku

I have not watched anime since Evangelion, and I can honestly say this is some amazing shit. I would even say it's one of those animes that come along every 10+ years, like Kenshin, EVA, Death Note, etc.

Gripping as hell. Thanks for this, GAF.

Watch Steins;Gate and Mirai Nikki for other gripping ones. Kaiji is also great.

kurahador

Watch Steins;Gate and Mirai Nikki for other gripping ones. Kaiji is also great.

Ehh...Steins;Gate took 10 eps to get good, and Mirai Nikki started promising only to get progressively worse---the twists and turns in the series are basically ripped off from other actual great anime.

Kaiji is good. However unique series is something like Madoka, Gunbusters & Gurren Lagann IMO.

dramatis

oh my, imagine if Hollywood have the rights to this. I feel that it would be better.
It would have a budget and ample production time then, so definitely better.

Before the anime aired I thought the first wall breach + battle of Trost would have made a wholesome live action Hollywood movie. Especially since most of the cast is white lol.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It would have a budget and ample production time then, so definitely better.

Before the anime aired I thought the first wall breach + battle of Trost would have made a wholesome live action Hollywood movie. Especially since most of the cast is white lol.
Beiber as Eren.

You asked for this.

I woke up in the morning to check on the ep and it was delayed. Came home earlier at 7:30pm and still not up, now currently 9:30pm... WTF!!!!!

I never regretted paying for Crunchyroll until now.

If it wasn't for HxH and Devil Summoner I would've un-subbed instantly after this and last week's bullshit.

It's not their fault. The good people at Attack on Titan are animating and shit up until the last minute, just in time for it to air in their purchased slot. But for other channels in different regions and for Funimation/Crunchroll, they will get the materials later. The other channels will air an incomplete version of the show while Crunchyroll will wait to get he more complete one.

Crunchyroll probably won't be sent anything until all of the local channels airs the episode first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom