• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AU price is high, but it shouldn't be a shock based on the conference, 300 US dollars into AUD + GST is $440. Americans will pay their own local taxes on top of the 300. It's not an unfair price for our dollar. It's expensive in Japan and America, too.

Considering the $300 sales on PS4/xbone as of late it's personally hard to justify the price.

Tomorrow may Switch my opinion but so far it's a 'firesale 12 months after launch' plan for me again.

What happens tomorrow or was the a bad pun?

Considering the launch price of the PS4 and Xbox One ($550 and $600), I don't think the Switch price is unreasonable. Sure the other players have reduced price and that can't be ignored, but to me the price seems OK for launch hardware.

That said, besides Zelda, there's nothing that interests me at all (I think Mario looked rather dull, but it was a brief showing). Everything else is targeted at someone else. I really like design of the hardware, but if there's nothing to go with it... ehhh.

Any of you guys can recommend a USB-A to USB-C cable? I've lost mine so I can't use my portable battery anymore and the phone is a battery guzzler sometimes.
According to the Google engineer who reviews these things, this Belkin one is appropriate: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...n/belkin-usb-a-3-1-to-usb-c-3-1-cable/718721/

I need to buy some for the same reason so have been researching cables. Because cable reviews being necessary are a thing in the late 2010s (getting the wrong ones, particularly when relating to charging, can result in damaged hardware).

things to consider re: Switch price.

It's expensive. They are all expensive at launch

-AU dollar isn't anywhere near parity with US dollar anymore like it was until between 2010 and 2013

-nintendo don't price things cheap, especially away form US or Japan nor do they lose money

-They may feel the positive buzz they got during the reveal a few months back meant they could get away with a higher price. you can only sell something for what the market will bear. Probably the thing that hurt X1 the most at launch amongst casuals and the like was the fact it was more expensive than a PS4 in the US (though the price differential in AU was not so bad since Sony gonna Sony)
AUD $549 (PS4) vs AUD$599 (X1)

-Nintendo may have priced this in a way that acknowledges its a niche thing rather than a mass market thing like Wii.

-10 years later and its still around $60 more than the Wii was

-you don't have to buy it at launch or ever.

-there is form for stuff being pitched at too high a price being adjusted, either at launch or shortly after, especially by Nintendo.

-Zelda, man. It's Zelda.

Gamecube was cut by $30 shortly before launch, 3DS had its price adjusted after about six months, and the Wii U was able to be had for up to $50 less than its RRP on launch day. Some remember the OG Xbox getting a huge cut shortlky after launch and early adopters got an extra controller and two first party games as compensation. Recently I had my PS4 Pro preorder had its price slashed by amazon UK before launch and I saved the equivalent of $30 plus a big discount on a game that came with it. Of course, restricted launch numbers might negate the need for them to cut straight away. Though that hasn't worked out that well for PSVR in the end (a local studio focusing on PSVR got canned this week).

Make enough noise, and if they don't get the preorder numbers they were hoping for, then they might 'realign' pricing. Or not. who the fuck knows?

I like the idea that's been bandied about of a non portable version of switch. Unlike the Wii U and the gamepad, I don't see a reason why it's not possible but then, Nintendo really wants to sell us on the hybrid aspect of the system.

Basically wait for $190 fire sale of Switch like the Wii U had after MK8 came out.

history either repeats or it doesn't. the worst thing to happen is that you don't get to play BotW on switch for a while. I totally get being gunsgy about a console that has an equal chance of success at this price as it does of failure. (as in $1000 PS3 didn't stop that console eventually selling well)

Shaneus

Anyone here bought something from eBay "local pickup only" but from interstate? I've just bought some Sony PVMs and they're in NSW. I'm in Vic :/

Unless someone can pick them up for me from 2047 ;P

Right, same problem in other regions too. Was just pointing out that Australia didn't really get ripped off, it's not cheap compared to the competition anywhere.

Yeah the price is fairly similar across the board, just too steep imo.

Hand on with the Switch tomorrow!

Nice.

Anyone here bought something from eBay "local pickup only" but from interstate? I've just bought some Sony PVMs and they're in NSW. I'm in Vic :/

Road trip!

So what's the best retailer to preorder hardware with?

I only want Zelda until Splatoon 2 but I can't bring myself to play the inferior Wii U version when I know the Switch version exists :(

Sounds like a Seinfeld episode lol

I only live about 5 minutes from there though if you get stuck.

Shaneus

Sounds like a Seinfeld episode lol

I only live about 5 minutes from there though if you get stuck.
May have to take you up on that offer! Even if it's just to pick them up so I can organise a courier a bit easier. If feel better about a delivery guy picking them up from someone I know than some eBay seller I've never spoken to before.

Much appreciated!!
PVM's plural? Looking to recoup some of that fuel cost?
Not necessarily! I'm going to see if/how well they work. They're only 14", so might have one for Tate and the other normal. That's if they both work!

Jintor

yeah honestly i'm kindaaaaaaaaaaa torn.

i have the money budgeted out already so i kinda might as well if there's any good local bundles to leap on. but i kinda doubt it.

hamchan

yeah honestly i'm kindaaaaaaaaaaa torn.

i have the money budgeted out already so i kinda might as well if there's any good local bundles to leap on. but i kinda doubt it.

What bundles can they give when the only notable launch game is Zelda?

I think retailers know if you're buying a Switch at launch you're going to pay the extra to get Zelda too.

Jintor

they could give me the bundle of competing with one another for my precious monies

hell i'd take a 1-2 switch bundle even

Gazunta

Figured I would ask here. Does anyone know with any degree of certaintly, when Super Street Fighter 2 was released officially here in Australia? Wiki says it was a few weeks after the US date (August 1994) but that seems really really off to me. I seem to remember it was like a year after the release date, so mid-late 1995. Anyone?

legend166

If they announce that the Switch has a robust Virtual Console (hahahaha) at launch I maaaaaay get one then. Otherwise will wait for the inevitable price drop at Christmas because there's no way this thing sells particularly well with the software they've got this year.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going go get one to play Zelda and Splatoon in bed ಠ_ృ

Rizzi

If they announce that the Switch has a robust Virtual Console (hahahaha) at launch I maaaaaay get one then. Otherwise will wait for the inevitable price drop at Christmas because there's no way this thing sells particularly well with the software they've got this year.

You'll take your one game a month and like it. First up: Urban Champion!

Cerity

I'm undecided as to whether the online system will be a hot mess or not. Surely they've wisened up an have moved on from friend codes. They've been messing with online accounts thanks to miitomo and pokemon go to boot.

On the other hand it is nintendo and everything about the launch so far has been pretty... underwhelming.

May have to take you up on that offer! Even if it's just to pick them up so I can organise a courier a bit easier. If feel better about a delivery guy picking them up from someone I know than some eBay seller I've never spoken to before.

Much appreciated!!
Are they filled with heroin? They're filled with heroin, aren't they? :)

Send me a PM and we'll get it sorted out.

the player pool cant be that big when all is said and done with that said tho

they will be the first to have a paid online service for both handheld games and consoles all on one day device i mean dos the market relly need paid online on the go ?

one thing i also didnt think about was if they have paid wifi options lol

Vormund

Figured I would ask here. Does anyone know with any degree of certaintly, when Super Street Fighter 2 was released officially here in Australia? Wiki says it was a few weeks after the US date (August 1994) but that seems really really off to me. I seem to remember it was like a year after the release date, so mid-late 1995. Anyone?

Nah I doubt it was mid-late 1995. The original PlayStation came out November 1995 in AU and I was playing SSF2 well before that came out.

edit: I do remember that Nintendo Aus actually distributed the version here (and Megaman X) and at that point were actually getting stuff out rather quickly. DKC ended up being released in Aus first (due to timezone differences)

You'll take your one game a month and like it. First up: Urban Champion!
I've heard people talking about the free lend of the VC title as a ploy to get a whole bunch of people playing the same game simultaneously and thus kick-start the online communities for these titles. It would mitigate the issues you get with games that are like Triforce Heroes but that don't have the Zelda name cache.

Basically, they're trying to make sure an online multiplayer Urban Champion is worth making.

If that's their intent though, it's a poorly communicated one.

Stackboy

I'll buy a Switch eventually, but not at launch. New Zelda looks good, but I am not a hardcore fan like others are. I need 3-4 games on the platform that I really want to play to warrant a purchase.

Maybe in like a year or 2.

jambo

So does anyone want to take a crack at making a Steam <-> Discord chat bot?

I think of the main hurdles that is keeping people from moving from IRC to Discord is the lack of chat integration.

Might even have to make a Steam <-> IRC <-> Discord chat bot, if possible.

I'll buy a Switch eventually, but not at launch. New Zelda looks good, but I am not a hardcore fan like others are. I need 3-4 games on the platform that I really want to play to warrant a purchase.

Maybe in like a year or 2.

I'm thinking late 2017 in a bundle, maybe even early 2018 if there are some good post holiday deals.

MoonGred

So much doom and gloom on Gaf for the Switch, reading the gaming page is just depressing.

Anyways, I had a magnum ice creams for the first time in years. Did those things shrink in size? I remember them being so much bigger.

So much doom and gloom on Gaf for the Switch, reading the gaming page is just depressing.

Anyways, I had a magnum ice creams for the first time in years. Did those things shrink in size? I remember them being so much bigger.
Inflation is that thing that makes balloons bigger and chocolate bars smaller.

I am making the safe prediction that Switch will at least do PSP numbers worldwide and end up somewhere between 3DS and Wii. It will be just fine.

MoonGred

I am making the safe prediction that Switch will at least do PSP numbers worldwide and end up somewhere between 3DS and Wii. It will be just fine.

Yea I'm sure it will do just fine as well, just Gaf being Gaf.

So I'm not wrong and they used to be substantially bigger right?

GAF in general has its head up its own butt regarding what makes a product appealing to people who aren't dorks like us. The prices, while disappointing, are a signal from Nintendo that they think they have a hit on their hands. Launching at $50 above what level the GAF consensus is on what the price "should" be is what they did with both the 3DS and Wii U. They lost big on both those bets, but I am sure they regret not doing that for Wii and DS.

You can always lower the prices when you need to spur sales. You cannot raise them for a hit.

And yes, I am pretty sure the magnums are smaller. It's not just you.

Quasar

For some definitions of fine. Can't do worse than WiiiU very easily at least.

I guess my surprise alongside unacceptable battery life is that there wasn't many/any games that lean on the handheld heritage*. Or maybe that was just deliberate marketing to push it as a home console you can travel with rather than the reverse.

*well that and my surprise that they returned hard to the motion control gimmick.

Rizzi

The launch line up just plain sucks. The only first party shit they have right now are a Zelda game that's also on Wii U, a port of Mario Kart 8 with no new tracks eight weeks later. Then it's Splatoon 2 with a nebulous Summer/Winter 2017 until Holiday 2017 for Mario.

Four first party titles announced for the entire year. That's not even considering the ridiculous price they're asking for a weak console/handheld with shitty battery life.

Quasar

The launch line up just plain sucks. The only first party shit they have right now are a Zelda game that's also on Wii U, a port of Mario Kart 8 with no new tracks eight weeks later. Then it's Splatoon 2 with a nebulous Summer/Winter 2017 until Holiday 2017 for Mario.

Four first party titles announced for the entire year. That's not even considering the ridiculous price they're asking for a weak console/handheld with shitty battery life.

I'll eat my metaphorical hat if Mario comes out his year. Ditto Xenoblade.

I'll eat my metaphorical hat if Mario comes out his year. Ditto Xenoblade.
I could definitely see Xenoblade 2 missing its date, but Mario doesn't have the history of getting delayed after announcements that Zelda and Xenoblade have.

The rest though are definitely being held back. There is a huge Animal Crossing sized hole in the Wii U lineup, we don't know what Retro is doing and all the small and mid tier stuff that would normally go to the 3DS hasn't been mentioned either. The 3DS level stuff that would be absolutely eclipsed by having Zelda at launch is probably going to get announced and released in a trickle.

If this thing does get Pokemon, it will be a huge deal.

Cerity

I really hope they do hit it out of the park with E3/TGS and directs this year. Battery life aside it is a nice piece of hardware.

so both my Gaf foo and google Foo is failing me a little

i decided to play MKXL on the PS4 with a friend just the other day and i like it ( i also have MK9) thing is im wondering if there is much of diffrence betwean short cut moves ie L1 for a Grab Vs Saqure + X for a grab move ? ie stronger ? logicaly some of these same combos should be weaker or none chainable

is there a fighting game thread i should ask in or an MK thread i should ask in ? ie for talking about move sets and combos ?

tried looking for an MK thread but theres alot and they are mostly dorment and the one i posted in was simply ignored or not noticed.

thanks guys

Edit : for those intrested in the LRG relase of firewatch the campo santo pre sale is over, more copies to come tommrow - after that - thats it

this is probbly there best if not one of there best selling titles

hamchan

That's a big call considering PSP did 82 million worldwide. It'll be nice if the Switch could reach 3DS numbers of 60 million but I wouldn't call that safe either considering the worldwide (except Japan) downtrend of handheld gaming sales.

It'll do better than the GameCube and Wii U by virtue of being Nintendo's next handheld device (even if it isn't currently priced or marketed like it) but man, it definitely needs a year for the price to drop and the library to build before it reaches that mass market sellable point, which is what happened to the 3DS too.

That's a big call considering PSP did 82 million worldwide. It'll be nice if the Switch could reach 3DS numbers of 60 million but I wouldn't call that safe either considering the worldwide (except Japan) downtrend of handheld gaming sales.

It'll do better than the GameCube and Wii U by virtue of being Nintendo's next handheld device (even if it isn't currently priced or marketed like it) but man, it definitely needs a year for the price to drop and the library to build before it reaches that mass market sellable point, which is what happened to the 3DS too.
I think PSP numbers are the absolute floor for the system, personally, unless the entire gaming industry in Japan collapses. It will have a desirable library just for being the successor to the Vita and 3DS in Japan and games sell systems.

Quasar

I think PSP numbers are the absolute floor for the system, personally, unless the entire gaming industry in Japan collapses. It will have a desirable library just for being the successor to the Vita and 3DS in Japan and games sell systems.

Guess it depends on whether Nintendo really is abandoning all other hardware, or whether this is just a WiiU replacement and we'll still see a DS successor that's cheaper. certainly Nintendo is pushing the idea that its a home console you can leave the home with rather than a DS you can plug into a TV.

Personally I'll be amazed if it does PSP numbers, but then I think the dedicated handheld market is basically over, aside from I guess Japan. Most people will be happy enough with games on their phones, especially if Nintendo keeps putting out phone games.

Guess it depends on whether Nintendo really is abandoning all other hardware, or whether this is just a WiiU replacement and we'll still see a DS successor that's cheaper. certainly Nintendo is pushing the idea that its a home console you can leave the home with rather than a DS you can plug into a TV.

Personally I'll be amazed if it does PSP numbers, but then I think the dedicated handheld market is basically over, aside from I guess Japan. Most people will be happy enough with games on their phones, especially if Nintendo keeps putting out phone games.
Nintendo putting out phone games seems right now to be less about making revenue from the games themselves and more about driving awareness of their brands and upselling people onto their dedicated hardware. When it comes to Pokemon, for instance, the success of Pokemon Go has catapulted 3DS sales into the stratosphere, to the point where people are talking about shortages for a system that's almost six years old.

If they drop the pokebomb on Switch, they have a near guaranteed hit.

But yeah, I do think they're planning to abandon all other hardware unless Switch is a sales disaster.

82 million doesn't really seem like a safe prediction!

My safe bet would be outsell WiiU lol

3DS is at 62 million but after the Pokemon Go/Sun/Moon craze I assume it's up past 65 million, maybe closer to 70.

I could definitely see Xenoblade 2 missing its date, but Mario doesn't have the history of getting delayed after announcements that Zelda and Xenoblade have.

The rest though are definitely being held back. There is a huge Animal Crossing sized hole in the Wii U lineup, we don't know what Retro is doing and all the small and mid tier stuff that would normally go to the 3DS hasn't been mentioned either. The 3DS level stuff that would be absolutely eclipsed by having Zelda at launch is probably going to get announced and released in a trickle.

If this thing does get Pokemon, it will be a huge deal.
E3 will bring Pokemon, TGS will likely have a Yokai title too.

I actually think Xenoblade 2 could hit 2017 but should get shifted into first half of 2018 to avoid bomba. Mario will be fine unless they do a complete revamp.

Edit : for those intrested in the LRG relase of firewatch the campo santo pre sale is over, more copies to come tommrow - after that - thats it

this is probbly there best if not one of there best selling titles

It's fantastic. Really great quality with an awesome map/info sheet and a delightful postcard! All for $30 USD before postage.

The core gaming industry DID collapse. The majority of the market went to mobile, even Sony make more money from that than core gaming in Japan now!

Recreat3

Breath of the wild master edition is already out of stock from eb. I knew i should have pre ordered straight away :/ anyone know other stores stocking it? I couldnt find it on jbhifi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom