• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

So I'm doing some actual carpentry for the ummm first time. Well aside from some little patching jobs.

A first time buying a decent amount of timber. A first time needing electric saws and saw horses and other things.

In the scheme of things, a really basic project. Just building some raised garden beds with some pine sleepers and such.

So far I've learnt that buying 3m long sleepers does not actually mean I brought home sleepers that are actually all 3m long. A beginners mistake but I kind of assumed the advertised dimensions for the timber actually was correct.

I guess it could have turned out worse. Had I not actually checked things before hand I might have even gotten timber that was even straight. I spent what seemed like forever going through a stack of sleepers just to find enough that were kind of straight enough.

senahorse

I need to do the same shortly, as we have just about finished installing our mainlines for our irrigation system. We probably will use railway sleepers rather than pine though, keep updating :)

senahorse

Pine will be fine for up to 10 years, certain treated varieties you don't want to use with planting food. Are you planning on putting a worm farm in there? We will probably put those composting worm farms that you bury in there.

Quasar

Pine will be fine for up to 10 years, certain treated varieties you don't want to use with planting food. Are you planning on putting a worm farm in there? We will probably put those composting worm farms that you bury in there.

No I was just going to put in some vegetables. And yeah...you need to either use ACQ treated timber or line your bed with plastic.

Dead Man

Bill Paxton. Fuck me. Never knew he was 61, he looked too fucking good. And yeah, always take time sorting through the lumber at Bunnings if you want unbowed stuff.

Rezbit

I really want one too, but credit card debt and a tattoo booking in March is pretty much preventing me getting one in the foreseeable future. I reaaaaally want Zelda and I don't want to set up my Wii U again :(

It definitely is expensive. Zelda looks like a must-play though, time to dust off that Wii U!

legend166

Would love you get a Switch at launch but I'm having to plough everything into house renos at the moment.

Juggling tradies is a nightmare.

legend166

I mean at this point a console I can't play on something other than a TV screen is entirely pointless to me. I'm married with a five month old and a 2.5 hour daily commute. The Switch is basically dream console. I just need Nintendo not to screw it up completely so it can last awhile and get somewhat decent support.

Seriously though where the heck is the VC? HOW DO YOU NOT HAVE THAT AT LAUNCH NINTENDO WHY ARE YOU SO INCOMPETENT?

Rezbit

Have to say though that PS4 and Switch is looking like a pretty good combo for me. Should be some damn good exclusives between those two.

As for Xbox...

Yeah if I had more than a 90 second drive to work I'd play a LOT more Vita and the Switch would be more tempting.

Xbox has the Gears and the Halos. Not sure what else ahead though.

I need to do the same shortly, as we have just about finished installing our mainlines for our irrigation system. We probably will use railway sleepers rather than pine though, keep updating :)
What sort of sleepers are you using? And where are you buying them from? Used ones obviously full of diesel so wondering where you're getting new ones from and for how much?

My old man bought me a corrugated iron bed to get me started before I make something myself but even then I still haven't filled it with soil to get started.

I've got a 8x5m space on my driveway where I'm going to dump mine but worried about too much heat coming from the concrete plus the concrete sucking moisture from my soil. I'll see how I go.

Can you guys post up pictures of your beds and any troubles you run into as inspiration to me mostly. :)

Recreat3

Friday cant come soon enough. Does anyone know if im able to get someone else to pickup my switch if theres a midnight launch, or will i have to pick it up myself.

if i had a brain i would be buying a ps4 for yakuza, p5, and nier.

but i'm an idiot, so zelda it is.

This is me for the last 2-3 Nintendo console/handhelds, oh it's like $400...Here's my money for Mario and Zelda again. Love to hate, hate to love...

Those games are just so fucking good

TheGorathPlan

Neo Member
Ideally I'd get a Switch at Christmas once Odyssey and Skyrim are out. Zelda is not worth the price of admission alone, plus I have FFXV to get through.

senahorse

What sort of sleepers are you using? And where are you buying them from? Used ones obviously full of diesel so wondering where you're getting new ones from and for how much?

My old man bought me a corrugated iron bed to get me started before I make something myself but even then I still haven't filled it with soil to get started.

I've got a 8x5m space on my driveway where I'm going to dump mine but worried about too much heat coming from the concrete plus the concrete sucking moisture from my soil. I'll see how I go.

Can you guys post up pictures of your beds and any troubles you run into as inspiration to me mostly. :)

We haven't bought any yet, once I decide I will post it back here.

Stackboy

Hey here's a tip: don't buy consoles on launch. The WiiU is the perfect example. The Switch might have Zelda on launch, but waiting until there's 3-4 must have games is generally my rule of thumb.

I bought my WiiU when it had Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario 3D World. I didn't regret it because I had enough to validate the purchase.

Dammit Nintendo just give me a new F-Zero.

jambo

Wife bought PS4 at launch and the limited number of games meant that she got really, really good at Resogun.

We'll probably get a Switch at xmas when Mario and a few more games are out.

We were originally going to get a Scorpio, but after thinking about it, I realised my Xbox One S is mainly used for Netflix, Stan, YouTube and Plex. The only game I've played on it this year is Forza Horizon 3.

Wife bought PS4 at launch and the limited number of games meant that she got really, really good at Resogun.
Yeah, only get a console at launch if the launch window titles appeal to you. For me it made sense (Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Killzone Shadow Fall, inFamous Second Son); even if I'd known how janky BF4 was going to be at launch, I still would've pulled the trigger for Black Flag.

jambo

Part of the reason she wanted to get one at launch was she had always lagged behind with consoles. Growing up her family had gotten by ok financially, but they didn't have hundreds of dollars lying around for a new console. They got a PS1 about a year before the PS2 came out and a PS2 three or four years after that.

She'd also never bought a console 100% by herself as well so it was special. She'll be keeping it for a while, even after we get a Pro.

In my teens I was a Nintendo/PC guy so I bought every Nintendo console at launch since the DS (ignoring revisions). Switch was going to be the first one I didn't, but then I got the urge when EB actually offered ok value for a WiiU tradein and I was like "yeah fuck it".

When I move into my new place I'm going to have Xbo with Kinect for media centre, Switch for portable stuff, and my PC for 99% of my gaming. Getting rid of the WiiU and PS4 was pretty liberating actually. I'll consider getting rid of my MM 3DS at some point, but not quite yet.

Jubbe

Hey here's a tip: don't buy consoles on launch. The WiiU is the perfect example. The Switch might have Zelda on launch, but waiting until there's 3-4 must have games is generally my rule of thumb.

I mean I agree, but fuck it, I have disposable income and its a thing I want.

Haven't preordered or anything I'm gonna try to grab one at Big W in the morning.

jambo

In my teens I was a Nintendo/PC guy so I bought every Nintendo console at launch since the DS (ignoring revisions). Switch was going to be the first one I didn't, but then I got the urge when EB actually offered ok value for a WiiU tradein and I was like "yeah fuck it".

I was looking in to that trade-in deal, but I think I would miss Mario Maker and 3D World too much.

Also turns out that only applies to the black Premium Wii U, whereas I got a white one for half price during the Dick Smith fire sale.

Rezbit

I don't often buy launch consoles, and I wasn't going to with Switch, but I was the same, the decent EB offer also made me think yeah fuck it lol. I figure it's better to go on the ride with a supported console rather than play Zelda then probably never touch Wii U again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom