• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

Three consecutive days of full-time Zelda, now I am at work and all I can think about doing is playing more Zelda, game is incredible. Should have brought switch to work :(

Oh my goodness yes. Though we laughed heartily at
the old man Charles schtick. Working in aged care it hit too close to home for both of us lol
Tears of laughter.

After work today I'm gonna hit up my local big w's. I'm giving in. I want a switch. I lasted 2 days.

*More Logan spoilers:

Old cranky Charles was funny, but that "best day I have had in a long time" and the conclusion to that, so sad :(

What are you going to do there? It's one reason I havnt grabbed a pro because I can't figure out a nice way of moving my 2TB drive into the pro. Although I just got nbn on Thursday so maybe I can just download everything.

Can you back it all up to another drive first? I just deleted the stuff I didn't need and then did a backup.

Stackboy

I saw Logan on Friday night. I didn't think I'd ever be keen to see another Wolverine movie but the first trailer with the Johnny Cash song (It's his now, Trent Reznor said so) hit me in the feels and got me interested

Really liked the movie, a nice change in tone for a superhero movie. Go see it.

Got plenty of Horizon Zero Dawn in over the weekend, I love chasing down robot dinosaurs!

What are you going to do there? It's one reason I havnt grabbed a pro because I can't figure out a nice way of moving my 2TB drive into the pro. Although I just got nbn on Thursday so maybe I can just download everything.

Can you back it all up to another drive first? I just deleted the stuff I didn't need and then did a backup.

Yep, I ended up deleting some of my lesser played games that I own on disc, made sure their saves were at least uploaded to PS+ (or just popped into a USB), then backed up my PS4 to a portable 1tb drive I have. That way I can just chuck a disc in when I need in the future. Then, I swapped out the 2TB one in my vanilla PS4 into my Pro, and the Pro's default 1tb back into my original PS4. Then I connected portable HDD with back-up into Pro, restored with OS from Sony's site loaded on too, and am doing the same with my OG PS4 as well.

It's a bit fiddly for sure, but all sorted :)

Yep, I ended up deleting some of my lesser played games that I own on disc, made sure their saves were at least uploaded to PS+ (or just popped into a USB), then backed up my PS4 to a portable 1tb drive I have. That way I can just chuck a disc in when I need in the future. Then, I swapped out the 2TB one in my vanilla PS4 into my Pro, and the Pro's default 1tb back into my original PS4. Then I connected portable HDD with back-up into Pro, restored with OS from Sony's site loaded on too, and am doing the same with my OG PS4 as well.

It's a bit fiddly for sure, but all sorted :)

Nice, that's exactly what I did heh. Do you have a 4K/HDR TV?

Jintor

Okay ausgaf what are we thinking about in terms of switch cases? Should I bother at retail at all or just check the GAF thread and order something online?

Wish I was back in the JP, two day shipping would be excellent

I went looking for a screen protector on amazon and most aren't in stock for a while. Found a 3 pack that's arriving today along with a pro controller. Will need to grab a case before my next trip (may-ish) so hopefully the one I want will be stocked.

I remember buying the pad controller (looked a little like a snes controller) for Wii but was happy enough with the gamepad as my only Wii U controller. Joy-Cons seem cool and all but for something I'm playing at home for hours on hours, it's not great. And since there's no way to charge Joycons while playing on the TV with the standard package, the Pro Controller just seems the best bet.

Yeah, BotW is great.

I picked up the Hori premium screen filter and it went on like a dream. That said people are having issues with it peeling when the console heats up while docked.

I played two hours of Zelda docked and then three undocked and so far so good.

Ok, so pro controller is about 1 000 000 000 000 times more comfortable to use than using the joycon and standard grip combo. fits reallt nicely and Link doesn't suddently walk off cliffs anymore if your knee gets in between the controller and the console.

Nice, that's exactly what I did heh. Do you have a 4K/HDR TV?

Nah I don't. Saw the Pro for $489 and commented that I'll get it when I do get a 4K TV, then my girlfriend said that she'd kick in a bit if I she could take over ownership of my regular PS4, so I figured for only ~$300 it was worth it for future-proofing :)

Been playing a lot of Killing Floor 2 since it was on sale on PS Store for about $20, so booted that up and it looks and runs marvelously so I'm happy so far. Need to find time to test out Horizon and get my socks knocked off.

P.S She hates the idea of upgrading from a perfectly fine 1080p TV, so I won't get the 4K benefit for a while haha

Checking in to say that Zelda is outstanding, and this is from someone who often finds highly praised Nintendo titles leaving him cold.

legend166

So I'm selling some more GameCube/Wii/DS games.

Let me know if you're interested before I put them up on eBay. If you are, I'll just check what they're generally going for on eBay and we can work out a fair price. All titles are PAL unless specified. DS are mixed but it doesn't matter.

GameCube:

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Limited Edition (with the Ocarina of Time bonus disc). This is the only one I'm not sure about selling. I've got the HD version on the Wii U so not sure why I'd ever need it. And if I want to play Ocarina of Time again there's multiple VC methods. What do people think?

Tales of Symphonia (US version)
Soul Calibur 2
Mario Party 6 (US version)
Mario Party 7 (US version)
Metroid Prime
Pikmin 2 (US version)

DS:

Contra 4
Tetris DS
Henry Hatsworth
New Super Mario Bros
Advance Wars: Dual Strike (no manual)
Lock's Quest
Etrian Odyssey
Sonic Rush
Mario Kart DS

Wii:

Epic Mickey
Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Red Steel 2
Disaster Day of Crisis

jambo

I miiiiiight take Tetris DS and Sonic Rush, depending on price. I have no idea how much DS games go for these days.

I found my DS Lite recently and have been meaning to play it, but I only have 1 or 2 games left.

legend166

$40 for both of them shipped?

My biggest annoyance is I've got Dragon Quest 5 which seems to go for a decent amount. And when I say I've got it, I mean I've got the box and there's no cartridge inside ._.

Jintor

I played some Zelda on the train.

It was kind of amazing. I mean i'd been using handheld mode before but it's different when it's just your bedroom or the kitchen and another when you're five minutes out of work and you're like shit, I want to play right the fuck now

quabba

I played some Zelda on the train.

It was kind of amazing. I mean i'd been using handheld mode before but it's different when it's just your bedroom or the kitchen and another when you're five minutes out of work and you're like shit, I want to play right the fuck now

I played it a bit at the airport and on the plane, was great.

I just got home and hooked up the dock and realised that my dock has no screws in it... It came apart when I was trying to open the back! I wonder how I'll go taking it back (to a different EB in a different state, should be fine) if I can just swap the dock out.

Great to see everyone experiencing the joy of Vita life! First time I remote played up at my parents place 500km away from the PS4 I was shook hard.

P.S She hates the idea of upgrading from a perfectly fine 1080p TV, so I won't get the 4K benefit for a while haha

Yeah it's a big cost too, around $999 for a good 4K HDR set. Luckily I got $250 for my old LCD and I'd been saving up for a proper name brand TV for a few years lol.

The 4K make the IQ bloody fantastic. The HDR in games like Horizon is incredibly beautiful, can't wait for the next round of 1st party titles with HDR in mind during development rather than just patched in!

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
It's awesome. I've been playing it on my work breaks. And while watching tv at home. And at the bf's. And I'll be taking it to Melbourne next week.

This is great. Gonna need to source a car charger at some point though.

It's awesome. I've been playing it on my work breaks. And while watching tv at home. And at the bf's. And I'll be taking it to Melbourne next week.

This is great. Gonna need to source a car charger at some point though.

The gf has been hogging zelda while I finish off other games in my backlog. If I can pull it away from her I might start next week!

Shaneus

Yeah it's a big cost too, around $999 for a good 4K HDR set. Luckily I got $250 for my old LCD and I'd been saving up for a proper name brand TV for a few years lol.

The 4K make the IQ bloody fantastic. The HDR in games like Horizon is incredibly beautiful, can't wait for the next round of 1st party titles with HDR in mind during development rather than just patched in!
Would you say HDR (even at 1080P) basically puts the nail in the plasma coffin? The only reason I'm really holding onto mine is because of black output on LCDs, but if HDR solves that, then I'd be down for getting a new TV.

I didn't realise they were going for $1k, either. That actually seems pretty cheap to me. What sizes are they coming in now? Smaller would be better, TBH (current is a 46" and I'd be happy with that in 4k).

Edit: Ladies and gentlemen, introducing Jasper:
7Fx2VAUl.jpg

MNz6UZPl.jpg

RFGxAjul.jpg

cgLnbA5l.jpg

uRsz9col.jpg

senahorse

If you want good black levels get an OLED, they are better than the really good plasmas like Pioneer Kuros in that regard. Our Panasonic plasma black levels have risen over the years and now aren't much good. Interestingly we get better black levels on our projector than even our Kuro puts out, but that's a treated room.

Gazunta

D'AWWWW CUTE DOG SHANE :)

Must...resist....buying old games....muuuuust.

Speaking of which though is it just me or is Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS basically impossible to find anywhere? Really would like to play that now that I'm finishing Donkey Kong '94 on 3DS VC. We started playing Donkey Kong Country on the SNES again and loving it.

ALSO! I launched a new Kickstarter this morning for my comic about Rose, a young redhead who loves food, her family, food, her friends, food, animals and FOOD! eeeeeeeeeee I AM NERVOUS AS ALL HECK

Shaneus

D'AWWWW CUTE DOG SHANE :)
Aww what a sweet looking pupper.
He's pretty awesome so far. Cat friendly (which are damn hard to come buy, especially for ex-racers) but apparently he was returned to the adoption agency by another family who said he was aggressive after their kids were taking toys from him (or something). Was sent to the pet psychologist who figured they sent the wrong dog because he was so calm and pleasant.

Honestly, for $75 adoption fee (at least in Victoria, and includes a coat, leash, microchipping and comes desexed) I couldn't recommend adopting a greyhound enough. Only had him a day, but the wife and I are head over heels with him. He's 4 years old so he still has some life in him yet, and hopefully at least has grown out of some parts of being a puppy.

Still need to take him on some proper dog training, but he's pretty good so far. He's just yuge though, weighing in at ~45kg!

Certainly not cheap, price is slowly coming down though.
At that rate, I'm still either going to get a 4k TV or just hold out for a bit. Still honestly really happy with my Panny plasma and it's shown no signs of failing yet (touch wood).

Can't they just bring out a 55" 4k Oled with amazing HDR gaming capabilities, near-zero input lag, perfect image quality in every respect and minimal/zero image retention for under 1000 AUD?

I don't want much guys honestly

jambo

I thought the issue was that LG has exclusive rights to OLED panels or something crazy?

So they can charge what they want and are only just now talking to other manufacturers about supplying them with OLED.

We'll probably end up getting a normal LED LCD HDR 4k panel later this year. We want 65"-75" so OLED is way too much.

senahorse

Can't they just bring out a 55" 4k Oled with amazing HDR gaming capabilities, near-zero input lag, perfect image quality in every respect and minimal/zero image retention for under 1000 AUD?

Make it 100"+ and paper thin so I can stick it on the wall like a poster, willing to pay a couple of hundred more for those features.

I thought the issue was that LG has exclusive rights to OLED panels or something crazy?

So they can charge what they want and are only just now talking to other manufacturers about supplying them with OLED.

We'll probably end up getting a normal LED LCD HDR 4k panel later this year. We want 65"-75" so OLED is way too much.

Sony is bringing out oled TV's with it's 2017 range.

I just want a 40-43" 4K HDR OLED with super low input lag. I'm happy with my 1080p projector, but the TV in the bedroom could do with a 4K OLED upgrade; only problem is that 43" is the absolute max size I could really go, and nobody seems to make OLEDs that small.

Recreat3

I think they're expensive because of how much they paid David Warner to do the ads.

Those ads are terrible haha. Speaking of warner and the cricket over in india. U cannot sta d virat kohli, brilliant cricketer but damn that guy is an arrogant pos sometimes. I guess the same can probably be said about our cricketers but he is easier to hate as he is on the opposing team haha.

Would you say HDR (even at 1080P) basically puts the nail in the plasma coffin? The only reason I'm really holding onto mine is because of black output on LCDs, but if HDR solves that, then I'd be down for getting a new TV.

I didn't realise they were going for $1k, either. That actually seems pretty cheap to me. What sizes are they coming in now? Smaller would be better, TBH (current is a 46" and I'd be happy with that in 4k).

OLED is the blacks master, LED just ain't gonna improve that much. HDR is a great way to stop you noticing though as you're too drawn to the amazing brightness. OLED is just too damn expensive though. A great LED set will have 'good' blacks at least, I noticed it on my cheap LCD but my current Sony set looks fine to me.

I paid $999 for my 49 inch 4K HDR Sony set last year, been that price a few times now. Samsung have a set that has been around the $1200 price at 55 inch as well. Input lag is fantastic on the Sony set, even in 4K HDR gaming.

Jintor

i've been kicking around something to keep my hand in the games journalism space and i was thinking about maybe interviewing games-related people but just trying to, like, make a profile about them that isn't centred around games. maybe other hobbies, or jobs they had before games-related stuff, or something.

Was tossing around titles like Besides Gaming. (I would love to use Second Life if that wasn't already taken. lmao)

Shaneus

I just want a 40-43" 4K HDR OLED with super low input lag. I'm happy with my 1080p projector, but the TV in the bedroom could do with a 4K OLED upgrade; only problem is that 43" is the absolute max size I could really go, and nobody seems to make OLEDs that small.
I'm pretty much the same. Which is why I'm not really jonesing for one right now, honestly don't think I'd notice enough of a difference to justify buying a new TV. Especially not a massive one.

mulac

Bought 2 suits from Peter Jackson in the CBD (Sydney) just to get the ball rolling with a new job.

Both are utter garbage quality, where does ProfessionalAusGAF buy their (suit) threads in Sydney?

I want good quality, strong and resilient as i do some air travel and not outlandishly expensive but I dont mind paying for the quality.

Ebay has $20 off anything when you spend $50 or more.

I got Horizon Zero Dawn for $59 (click and collect) at Ebay Target store

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Hori...857145?hash=item282d30af39:g:N84AAOSw32lYt25m

Use code CDARKER during checkout. Quick coupon expires in 1.5 hours.

They are getting desperate as of late.

Bought 2 suits from Peter Jackson in the CBD (Sydney) just to get the ball rolling with a new job.

Both are utter garbage quality, where does ProfessionalAusGAF buy their (suit) threads in Sydney?

I want good quality, strong and resilient as i do some air travel and not outlandishly expensive but I dont mind paying for the quality.

Budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom