• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

Bought 2 suits from Peter Jackson in the CBD (Sydney) just to get the ball rolling with a new job.

Both are utter garbage quality, where does ProfessionalAusGAF buy their (suit) threads in Sydney?

I want good quality, strong and resilient as i do some air travel and not outlandishly expensive but I dont mind paying for the quality.

I just get mine from Myer, usually around $400.

Make sure it's 100% wool.

Bought 2 suits from Peter Jackson

Did you go to buy a jacket, then ended up having to buy a 3-piece suit, found the arms were too long and discovered another version is going to come out six months later with extra unnecessary buttons and even longer arms?

Bought 2 suits from Peter Jackson in the CBD (Sydney) just to get the ball rolling with a new job.

Both are utter garbage quality, where does ProfessionalAusGAF buy their (suit) threads in Sydney?

I want good quality, strong and resilient as i do some air travel and not outlandishly expensive but I dont mind paying for the quality.
For more casual suits I just go to Roger David, and for more formal ones I go to Ron Bennett. For work I mostly wear the former.

Cerity

3/4 of my suits are from MJ Bale, they usually have some pretty nice ones in their 2 for 1k deal. I've always found it easy to find someone to go halves with as well.

Quasar

Welll...been shopping around my comics collection to various bookstores as I don't want the hassle of selling em individually, especially the hassle of dealing with shipping em. Pretty depressing the offers. Can barely get 50 cents an issue.

More depressing has been trying to sell off my cd and DVD collection.

Welll...been shopping around my comics collection to various bookstores as I don't want the hassle of selling em individually, especially the hassle of dealing with shipping em. Pretty depressing the offers. Can barely get 50 cents an issue.

More depressing has been trying to sell off my cd and DVD collection.

My two cents, just sell them and move on.

As for the discs, ring around a few pawn brokers and see what they are paying per disc.

Shaneus

As for the discs, ring around a few pawn brokers and see what they are paying per disc.
Yeah, I think this is the best way to go. Or donate them to someone who'll appreciate them. I've long given up hope of ever selling any of my video game mags or other stuff I've collected but will never use (hello, HD-DVDs), but if someone else can get enjoyment out of them, that's worth more than any meager amount of money I could possibly get.

Plus the stress of trying to sell them all for only a few extra dollars really probably isn't worth it. That comics shop will be able to sell most (if not all of them) and enough people will enjoy them that way.

Quasar

Yeah.

For the DVDs and CDs the one offer I had was 50 cents each. Which seems pretty awful, especially when it comes to TV seasons and deluxe sets and all.

senahorse

I too have this problem with DVDs, I just can't get rid of them. I will probably end up selling some of the more sought after box sets (X-Files, Stargate, The Wire etc) and then just dump the rest for a handful of change. I tried watching a few recently and the picture quality of DVD just comes off as pretty horrible now.

I was also looking at getting rid of my Blu-ray collection as well, but after watching a few and seeing how stunning they look I will just keep them. There was a huge jump from DVD to BD, but the jump from BD to UHD in most cases is not much at all, at that point you are certainly starting to see diminishing returns.

Jintor

I actually found it hilariously difficult to donate to my local library.

I get that they only want good quality stuff but I had a few comics rejected for slight scuffing.

Ended up carrying the lot to a charity dumping shed where you just leave it and they sort it for charity book fairs across Sydney

Shaneus

I too have this problem with DVDs, I just can't get rid of them. I will probably end up selling some of the more sought after box sets (X-Files, Stargate, The Wire etc) and then just dump the rest for a handful of change. I tried watching a few recently and the picture quality of DVD just comes off as pretty horrible now.

I was also looking at getting rid of my Blu-ray collection as well, but after watching a few and seeing how stunning they look I will just keep them. There was a huge jump from DVD to BD, but the jump from BD to UHD in most cases is not much at all, at that point you are certainly starting to see diminishing returns.
My wife just got rid of her Buffy box set, ended up donating it via a charity bin. Realised that you can get the series in far smaller boxes for really cheap, just not worth the space they're taking up.

senahorse

My wife just got rid of her Buffy box set, ended up donating it via a charity bin. Realised that you can get the series in far smaller boxes for really cheap, just not worth the space they're taking up.

Physical media indeed takes up too much space, rather than re-buy everything in HD/UHD we are just going to get things that really benefit from the extra detail, everything else we can just watch online through various streaming services. That said, pumped for Planet Earth 2 on UHD in a few weeks :D

jambo

I still have Stargate SG-1, TNG, DS9 and Voyager on DVD.

Oh and Dragon Ball Z and Transformers.

Most are in boxes at the moment.

Quasar

Oh I'm still keeping my BluRays, and expect I'll start getting UHDs in time (if the DRM is broken so I can keep rips on my plex server). Just that unlike DVDs I buy em sparingly. For most things I make do with buying a digital version.

Dead Man

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow.

Everyone I know who's seen it has liked/loved it.

That speaks well of everyone you know :) But yeah, actually just a solid adventure/road/murder/family movie. Nobody else I know except those with me have seen it yet but we all liked it a lot. Some issues, mostly due to the historical baggage and the nature of the mainstream block,buster market, but nothing that's awful. Probably the best blockbuster movie I've seen since Mad Max (Yes, better than both SW films and all the Marvel films I've seen since then). But I don't watch that many movies.

Physical media indeed takes up too much space, rather than re-buy everything in HD/UHD we are just going to get things that really benefit from the extra detail, everything else we can just watch online through various streaming services. That said, pumped for Planet Earth 2 on UHD in a few weeks :D
Fuck yeahhhhhh been holding off watching until dat 4k goodness :)

Chuck

Still without luck
Does anyone know if the Wii U power adaptors from the US would work with just a plug adaptor? I'm seeing some word online that they actually support up to 240 volts but haven't been able to confirm. Anyone know?

jambo

Does anyone know if the Wii U power adaptors from the US would work with just a plug adaptor? I'm seeing some word online that they actually support up to 240 volts but haven't been able to confirm. Anyone know?

I think as long as the adaptor can do 100-240V it will be fine running through a converter.

From Whirlpool:

Most companies use "worldwide voltage" AC adapters that support 110-220v or 110-240v however some don't so if you wanted to use a 110v AC voltage adapter or device in Australia you would need a step down converter to reduce the voltage from 220v / 240v to 110v and then connect that AC adapter into the drop down converter.

Pin converters only change the connection pin and do not change the voltage support. I can confirm the Australian AC adapter for Switch supports 110v – 220v which means the device itself is also world-wide voltage – this is how they released the device world-wide on the same date. This means the only difference with the US version is the pin type so any imports could simply use a pin converter as the voltage support is global. Surprised the AC Adapter is Made in the Phillipines, not China.

This in itself is quite a big departure for Ninty as for years the AC adapters included were only for that specific region and voltage (so imports required a new AC adapter purchase) and the 3DS's to my knowledge are still voltage restricted and not world-wide. Seems Ninty is loosening their control a bit – very surprising considering their history.

Contrary to what the label on the adapter says, it's 100V - 240V. I'm running my JP Wii U using a JP AC Adapter without running it through a step down converter. This works for both the gamepad AC adapter as well as the console.

Having said that DO NOT TRY THIS WITH ANY OTHER NINTENDO CONSOLE (except the switch). You will kill it, very quickly.

Chuck

Still without luck
Thanks Jamby, but I went with the risk after reading some more forums. I'm happy to report it works fine with just a pin converter! Nintendo does lie!

:D!

Edit: thanks Dunny too

KrisB

Logan was great. I'm really liking these R18 approach to the films like they did with Deadpool. All the family-friendly ones get a bit all the same after a while.

Jintor

I really liked the cinematography and Hugh and Patrick's acting. The kid was okay too. The rest I'll have to stew on but I definitely liked the first half more than the second

He's pretty awesome so far. Cat friendly (which are damn hard to come buy, especially for ex-racers) but apparently he was returned to the adoption agency by another family who said he was aggressive after their kids were taking toys from him (or something). Was sent to the pet psychologist who figured they sent the wrong dog because he was so calm and pleasant...I couldn't recommend adopting a greyhound enough. Only had him a day, but the wife and I are head over heels with him. He's 4 years old so he still has some life in him yet, and hopefully at least has grown out of some parts of being a puppy.

If the gf and I weren't living in a little unit we'd adopt a greyhound ASAP. They look adorable, and my gf assures me they actually enjoy curling up and being adored haha.

Shaneus

If the gf and I weren't living in a little unit we'd adopt a greyhound ASAP. They look adorable, and my gf assures me they actually enjoy curling up and being adored haha.
Dude, if they let you have pets in the unit then you can get a greyhound. They literally only need 15 minutes or so of exercise a day, they spend the rest of it sleeping.

Although if you do have a backyard, it means they can go zoomies:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7-feD8YMUIM

Not ours, but you can see what I mean. They're so derpy and spazzy, but adorable as all shit, despite their size.

Thankfully, ours has settled in enough that he just started doing them :)

Dude, if they let you have pets in the unit then you can get a greyhound. They literally only need 15 minutes or so of exercise a day, they spend the rest of it sleeping.

Not ours, but you can see what I mean. They're so derpy and spazzy, but adorable as all shit, despite their size.

Unfortunately not, landlord won't even let us get a cat. Not sure why because if it's a concern about hair, I likely shed more than a cat lmao. Also this is my first time encountering the phrase 'zoomies' which I will now try and use as often as possible :)

There's a first dog cartoon that describes them well, spend most of the day going 0km/h on the couch.

We thought of getting one but my current dog is a little scared of other dogs after she was attacked by another dog off it's lead at the park. She's great with the cats though.

Shaneus

There's a first dog cartoon that describes them well, spend most of the day going 0km/h on the couch.

We thought of getting one but my current dog is a little scared of other dogs after she was attacked by another dog off it's lead at the park. She's great with the cats though.
That's a shame. Ours is super gentle, and surprisingly doesn't give a shit about basically anything, including our two cats. Nothing perturbs him at all, though he might still be adjusting.

I doubt all are this easy going, but the angle I'm more going for is to explain that if anyone's discounted them because they thought they're high maintenance or need a big backyard or even can't get one when having a cat, consider the myth dispelled :)

i know the general "don't preorder games adage" that people spout but i don't care, I will buy persona 5 no matter what

so wheres the best place to pre-purchase it? in terms of price at least. i don't want to have to deal with delivery either, i want to be at a place on that 9am tuesday ready to grab it.

Quasar

Man trying to divest myself of used furniture is hard.

Old but in pretty good nick bed and wardrobes amd not even charities will take em. They appear to only want like new furniture. Meanwhile folks who cannot afford such furniture go without. So I'm basically forced to break the furniture up into scrap timber and get local council to haul it away.

This really seems wrong.

Old but in pretty good nick bed and wardrobes amd not even charities will take em. They appear to only want like new furniture. Meanwhile folks who cannot afford such furniture go without. So I'm basically forced to break the furniture up into scrap timber and get local council to haul it away.

This really seems wrong.
Have you destroyed them already? Mrs Squirrel loves to buy up old furniture, restore it (varnish / paint / distressing) and either sell it on or keep it for ourselves.

This really seems wrong.

Put it up on Facebook buy/swap/sell for free. You'll have 50 people around within an hour. It's insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom