• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't he the 'honour and shame' guy?
He was the "it's over" guy: http://amir0x.ytmnd.com/

Very prominent poster and a former mod. Big, bombastic personality and somewhat abrasive. He was a terrible mod. I've said it to his face and have had him on my ignore list ever since he got demodded, mostly because I could.

He also showed questionable behaviour in the past, including editing past posts to win an argument (which led to his demodding) and some real life stuff I won't get into right now.

Even so, I never thought he would ever do anything like this. I just can't believe it.

creepy as fuck.

in less creep news...

Switch-owners, Is Snake Pass on sale in the AU E-Shop like it is in Europe? If it is, get, it's a lot of fun. Picked it up for 10 pounds and it's a lot of fun (though ask me again when it gets harder). Though obviously is on other platforms as well, so I recommend it. I'm gonna stop playing it now and save it for my holidays in August.

also, GLOW. amazing.

Shaneus

Yeah there's been a legion of salty banned people trying their hardest to dox, ddos, hack and otherwise take down the site and it's staff for years.
Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. Laughing pretty hard at the calls for the FBI to investigate GAF, as if that's all it took to lock down a site.

People saying it'll give people new ammunition to use against here are blowing it out of proportion, too. GAF always cops shit in YT comments and on various messageboards, this won't change any of that.

Anyway, legit shaken at this, but will leave my commentary on the matter at that.

Gazunta

It's also Micro Machines day!

Gonna spend the weekend playing Crash Bandicoot, Micro Machines, Elite and wipE'out"
while my PS4 gathers dust

Also, damn it Shaneus I truly am the world's stupidest person. For the life of me I don't know where I'm going wrong with it! Though to be fair I did manage to get some SNES and MegaDrive games working...maybe also some PC Engine games too, but it was all too fiddly and crashed all the time and Yoshi's Island ran like garbage and hot damn I love me some Yoshi's Island.

If someone sold a Raspberry Pi solution that was already pre-configured, already set up, already loaded with the correct version of the ROMs out of the fourty eight billion different versions of ROMs and BIOS downloads there are out there, I would gladly drop serious coin on that. I really am too stupid to figure this out myself.

And maybe had some room left on the already included SD card for me to drop extra ROMs in, nobody loves MegaDrive Speedball 2 it seems

Rizzi

There were roughly 30 people queued up in EB to get Crash Bandicoot when I went down to grab mine. Seems pretty popular.

senahorse

It's also Micro Machines day!

Gonna spend the weekend playing Crash Bandicoot, Micro Machines, Elite and wipE'out"
while my PS4 gathers dust

Also, damn it Shaneus I truly am the world's stupidest person. For the life of me I don't know where I'm going wrong with it! Though to be fair I did manage to get some SNES and MegaDrive games working...maybe also some PC Engine games too, but it was all too fiddly and crashed all the time and Yoshi's Island ran like garbage and hot damn I love me some Yoshi's Island.

If someone sold a Raspberry Pi solution that was already pre-configured, already set up, already loaded with the correct version of the ROMs out of the fourty eight billion different versions of ROMs and BIOS downloads there are out there, I would gladly drop serious coin on that. I really am too stupid to figure this out myself.

And maybe had some room left on the already included SD card for me to drop extra ROMs in, nobody loves MegaDrive Speedball 2 it seems

Not including the roms there is a Brisbane (yay local) Pi shop that sells preconfigured Retropie packs. I have ordered stuff from them before and highly recommend them.

http://www.thepishop.com.au/plug-n-play-packs

Pre-installed emulators
Nintendo NES, SNES, Gameboy Advance, N64 (Experimental), Sega Master System, Mega Drive, Sega CD, Sega 32X, Game Gear, Playstation 1, Atari 2600, NeoGeo, MAME & more - Click here for the full list
Pre-installed extras
Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Quake III Arena, Super Mario War, Kodi Media Center
Information regarding roms/games
As to comply with Australian law we do not sell or provide illegal games/roms with this device. We have however done the hardest part for you by installing and configuring RetroPie, complete with:
Cover art / game screenshots for thousands of popular titles
Game meta data - Information and ratings
Emulator defaults and optimisations
Controller configuration for 1, 2 and more players
Overclocking the CPU and GPU to safe but optimum levels

also, GLOW. amazing.
Yep best Netflix series IMO. Fantastic writing, acting and direction.

At least they're savages who can probably get Retroarch working on their PSTV's ;P
Buy a Pi!

I have a feeling the wife will be playing Crash alllll weekend.
Yep it's awesome!

It's super easy to setup I promise! Even a console peon like me got it running fine. RetroArch does 99% of the work.

All the games and data sits on the SD card. Any time you want to add new games or fancy stuff it's dumped onto a USB stick, plug into Pi and it automatically scrapes it all onto the SD card!

Not including the roms there is a Brisbane (yay local) Pi shop that sells preconfigured Retropie packs. I have ordered stuff from them before and highly recommend them.

http://www.thepishop.com.au/plug-n-play-packs

The SNES pack and the Wireless packs are both really well priced and I'd recommend! Cost me about $100 for the SNES pack without controllers. So awesome that PS3 controllers work on bluetooth without issue. It's preinstalled with RetroArch and everything I have so grabbing either of those bundles Gaz/Shaneus you would be all good to go!

Jintor

Reposting from tech support GAF

TechGAF I come before you with a problem.

Graphics card: Radeon R9 200 series (Direct CUII) - I don't remember the precise model number, sorry. It's got 2 x 6pin power connectors though.

I've been getting these white screen graphics crashes where my screen would just go completely white and then freeze up (audio hangs etc) for a few days now, I just dismissed it (they disappeared on a forced reboot), but the latest one apparently took down my graphics card's display output. I've been trying to fix this for about three-four hours tonight and have gotten far in terms of narrowing down on the actual problem, but about zero in terms of fixing the fucking thing.

After a lot of fucking around I managed to get the PC working again by unplugging the card and using the mobo to force it to boot to integrated graphics, checking if that works, then plugging the card back in but using the mobo graphics from BIOS.

Poking around after that, it's apparent that the graphics card is a) recognised and b) working as far as the system can tell, except that it won't actually display anything when I switch everything back around. Fans spin, LEDs light up (so it's drawing sufficient power), but if I head back into the Bios to switch it back to PEG or whatever it just wont' work. It won't output HDMI or DV-I, at least to my knowledge.

I ripped out all installed graphics drivers from the rig and then used radeon utility to clean it out and then reinstall the latest stable drivers, nada.

i'm tearing my hair out here. I was going to get some fucking study done tonight but who knows if that's going to happen even tomorrow... if anybody has any clues please let me know. As far as I know i didn't make any changes in BIOS or otherwise, didn't install anything new, nothing, it just fucking blew itself up.

Things I'll try tomorrow if I get home on time:
reset bios to default
update bios
reseat the video card more?

I'm just glad I haven't lost any data.

By the way the box this is in is tiny, so there's no other PCI-e slots I can jam this sucker into. It's difficult enough unseating it and reseating it as it is.

Card (and the PC as a whole) is about 2-3 years old at this point

Recreat3

Also big w have new nintendo 2ds xl + luigis mansion for $189. Seems cheap! Is the 2ds basically the same as 3ds without the 3d? I had a 3ds but mysteriously went missing last year..and i want one for metroid!

N0VAM0D

ok so I've decided to go all digital on my games which has been going heaps good so far, but I swear if horizon doesn't go on sale soon I'm gonna cry

ALSO I decided to go all digital on books and holy shit I've been reading more than I ever have. There's something I absolutely love about just diving into bed with my iPad and not having to get up to turn the light off, or fidget around with the pages until I'm comfy, it's too good! Anyone got any recommendations for someone who is a big sci fi fan, and particularly enjoys Phillip K. Dick's style? or even like something else honestly I don't mind

radaxian

There were roughly 30 people queued up in EB to get Crash Bandicoot when I went down to grab mine. Seems pretty popular.

Yep, the store manager at the EB local to me (Charlestown NSW) told me they had over 300 preorders for the game which is massive.

I dabbled in the originals and they were fun at the time but I'm honestly stunned how popular this thing is. On the plus side apparently they did a great job with the new version.

Do we know if the EB trade 2 games get Crash for $20 works with any 2 PS4 games?

I'll ditch my basically useless copy of Destiny, and one of my $3 copies of Murdered. They are just taking up space anyway lol.

Quasar

Well...my sister, whose a Crash superfan, got her pre-order today and she seems super happy from her brief play.

She said the local EB had like 180 pre-orders and that staff their said a LOT of women had been picking copies up today. Makes me wonder what the demographic makeup of Crash fans are.

Well...my sister, whose a Crash superfan, got her pre-order today and she seems super happy from her brief play.

She said the local EB had like 180 pre-orders and that staff their said a LOT of women had been picking copies up today. Makes me wonder what the demographic makeup of Crash fans are.

I never really thought about it, but Crash was one of the games my wife played as a kid on her family's PS1 (along with the much superior Rayman)

There will be plenty of "told you so" on GAF if the collection sells well. Lot's of skeptics leading up to the reveal.

jambo

Graphics card: Radeon R9 200 series (Direct CUII) - I don't remember the precise model number, sorry. It's got 2 x 6pin power connectors though.

I've been getting these white screen graphics crashes where my screen would just go completely white and then freeze up (audio hangs etc) for a few days now, I just dismissed it (they disappeared on a forced reboot), but the latest one apparently took down my graphics card's display output.

By the way the box this is in is tiny, so there's no other PCI-e slots I can jam this sucker into. It's difficult enough unseating it and reseating it as it is.

Maybe try taking the motherboard out of the case so you can test the other PCI-e slots. Would be a bit of work, but not much else to test.

Honestly sounds like you might need to RMA it or just get a new card =S

legend166

Hot take: The Crash platformers were always crap that people pretended were good because they couldn't play Super Mario 64.

Like seriously why is it in a corridor?

ok so I've decided to go all digital on my games which has been going heaps good so far, but I swear if horizon doesn't go on sale soon I'm gonna cry

I thought Horizon went under $50 at some point on PSN. Next time it's on sale I'll post in here! Hope you have a 2TB HDD in there, some games are getting insanely big with patches (damn games-as-a-service!)

Hot take: The Crash platformers were always crap that people pretended were good because they couldn't play Super Mario 64.

Like seriously why is it in a corridor?

Hot take: this incorrect and illogical opinion is always held by people who hold Nintendo games and devices in extremely high regard.

You clearly haven't played much Crash if you think it's in a corridor. Or maybe you're trolling and I got got >_<

Yep, the store manager at the EB local to me (Charlestown NSW) told me they had over 300 preorders for the game which is massive.

I dabbled in the originals and they were fun at the time but I'm honestly stunned how popular this thing is. On the plus side apparently they did a great job with the new version.
Yeah honestly I was a little surprised too, but then I'm always surprised at the success that Nintendo sees with its repertoire as well, so apparently I'm just a poor judge :p

Anyone got any recommendations for someone who is a big sci fi fan, and particularly enjoys Phillip K. Dick's style? or even like something else honestly I don't mind
It's been a while since I read much sci fi, but I'd just recommend the usual suspects like Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein if you like Phillip K. Dick. I also quite liked James Blish's Cities In Flight stuff - seemed like a really out there concept when I was a kid, but it seems a bit more believable now. It's unlike Dick's stuff, but I really enjoyed Julian May's Many Coloured Land stuff, and E.E. 'Doc' Smith's Lensman series was OK.

ALSO I decided to go all digital on books and holy shit I've been reading more than I ever have. There's something I absolutely love about just diving into bed with my iPad and not having to get up to turn the light off, or fidget around with the pages until I'm comfy, it's too good! Anyone got any recommendations for someone who is a big sci fi fan, and particularly enjoys Phillip K. Dick's style? or even like something else honestly I don't mind

Maybe James Blish and William Gibson (Neuromancer etc...). Also maybe Iain M Banks though most of his stuff is set in the same universe.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

GPU is dead. Time for a new one.

My 1080 did the same thing, It was technically up and running but not outputting anything. It's dead jim.

MoonGred

You mentioned that you don't mind something different entirely so below are a mix of recommendations.

Tokyo vice by Jake Adelstein
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susana Clarke
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
The Goldfinch by Donna Tart
The Terror by Dan Simmons
Universal Harvester by John Darnielle
I'm a massive sucker for Murakami novels but I can see that these aren't for everyone, I still recommend you check one out.

I don't know if the amazon app allows it but I know on Kindle you have the option to get sample of a book which is a massive help, you can usually tell pretty early on if you at least like the writing style.

Also get an actual e-reader, the difference between that a normal tablet is night and day!

Jintor

Maybe try taking the motherboard out of the case so you can test the other PCI-e slots. Would be a bit of work, but not much else to test.

Honestly sounds like you might need to RMA it or just get a new card =S

GPU is dead. Time for a new one.

My 1080 did the same thing, It was technically up and running but not outputting anything. It's dead jim.

fuck. I'm going to flash the bios as a last ditch effort and then give it up.

fucking hell.

oh well, licence to spend my horded gear treasure money

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
fuck. I'm going to flash the bios as a last ditch effort and then give it up.

fucking hell.

oh well, licence to spend my horded gear treasure money

I would be surprised if it kicks back in after you change slots etc (always possible). It does just sound like it did the same thing as mine, so I would say it's more than likely dead.

Doesn't sound like you needed a powerful GPU in your machine if you're still on a 2X series, shouldn't cost too much for a midrange card to replace it.

Shitty but hopefully it won't break the bank.

i don't have any other pci slots on this motherboard to shift it too, lol. tiny form factor.

It does sound dead but you should probably reseat the card at least once to rule that out and if you have any other cables try them to rule out a short. Might not have a modular PS though.

Jintor

i had to reseat it to force the mobo to use integrated graphics...

atleast all my data is still secure and it's just the card i'm replacing i guess... anyway just gotta wait for my data to finish backing up before i flash the bios and then give this sucker up i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom