• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0VAM0D

I thought Horizon went under $50 at some point on PSN. Next time it's on sale I'll post in here! Hope you have a 2TB HDD in there, some games are getting insanely big with patches (damn games-as-a-service)

Thanks so much rep! Oh man I wish I had a 2TB HDD, been looking into getting one for some time though. I'll have to look up how to upgrade, because it's getting a bit ridiculous

It's been a while since I read much sci fi, but I'd just recommend the usual suspects like Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein if you like Phillip K. Dick. I also quite liked James Blish's Cities In Flight stuff - seemed like a really out there concept when I was a kid, but it seems a bit more believable now. It's unlike Dick's stuff, but I really enjoyed Julian May's Many Coloured Land stuff, and E.E. 'Doc' Smith's Lensman series was OK.

Maybe James Blish and William Gibson (Neuromancer etc...). Also maybe Iain M Banks though most of his stuff is set in the same universe.

You mentioned that you don't mind something different entirely so below are a mix of recommendations.

Tokyo vice by Jake Adelstein
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susana Clarke
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
The Goldfinch by Donna Tart
The Terror by Dan Simmons
Universal Harvester by John Darnielle
I'm a massive sucker for Murakami novels but I can see that these aren't for everyone, I still recommend you check one out.

I don't know if the amazon app allows it but I know on Kindle you have the option to get sample of a book which is a massive help, you can usually tell pretty early on if you at least like the writing style.

Also get an actual e-reader, the difference between that a normal tablet is night and day!

hell yea so many good recommendations! Thanks everyone, I'll let you know what I end up going with :^)

Quasar

So...the GST is giving Netflix and Stan to raise prices by 20%. What a surprise.

I guess Amazon will do the same soon. And I guess YouTube Red/ Google Play Music.

I do wonder how this is supposed to be enforced on minor players.

Really might have to actually cancel some subs.

Speaking of annoyingly overpriced Sony things, the x9000e tv in the states is roughly half the price of the LG OLEDs. It's supposed to be "mid range". It came out here like a fortnite ago and cost more than 4/5 of what the OLEDs go for.

A few places have started dropping the prices on the x9000e but it's still far worse value than in the states.

CryptiK

Speaking of annoyingly overpriced Sony things, the x9000e tv in the states is roughly half the price of the LG OLEDs. It's supposed to be "mid range". It came out here like a fortnite ago and cost more than 4/5 of what the OLEDs go for.

A few places have started dropping the prices on the x9000e but it's still far worse value than in the states.
Yeah I went TV shopping last weak since someone in my household ended up smashing my amazing Plasma. Sony stuff was well overpriced so I ended up with a brand new LG OLED 55C6 at $2594

Jintor

of course my graphics card has to go and blow up right in the middle of everybody and their dog buying up graphics cards to mine cryptocurrency. sighhhhhhhhhh

Cerity

Finally finished BOTW, pretty divided on it. It was another open world game that had me thinking that I should play TW3 again. Definitely had fun with it though, Hyrule City/Castle itself was blast to go through and I loved looking & walking through the various towns. Shame there wasn't more of that.

of course my graphics card has to go and blow up right in the middle of everybody and their dog buying up graphics cards to mine cryptocurrency. sighhhhhhhhhh

Yep, anything decent gets bought up instantly :/

At least there should be a glut of cards on the 2nd hand market in a few months.

Jintor

There's plenty of 1080tis available

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

i'm actually divided on whether to get a cheap-ass card to tide me over for a bit until the bubble bursts and used 1070s/60s show up everywhere or to just go whole hog crazy and get a 1080 for $700+

MoonGred

Is that from the cold?

Apparently, the tradie the RACV sent out said he had about 20 call outs yesterday all for the same thing. I know it's winter and all but Victoria doesn't get that cold, it was around 0 overnight which isn't that extreme, surely pipes can withstand more.

Fingers crossed that it actually gets fixed under warrenty and gets fixed soon. I've got hot water albeit at very low pressure seeing as 60% of the water sprays out of the roof.

Apparently, the tradie the RACV sent out said he had about 20 call outs yesterday all for the same thing. I know it's winter and all but Victoria doesn't get that cold, it was around 0 overnight which isn't that extreme, surely pipes can withstand more.

Fingers crossed that it actually gets fixed under warrenty and gets fixed soon. I've got hot water albeit at very low pressure seeing as 60% of the water sprays out of the roof.

Cold showers then.
It's not the worst thing that will happen to you.

Pipes aren't used to it more than the idea that they can withstand more. Same happens when you change to a new HWS or replace a section of pipes, pressure builds up differently. We come across it quite often.

It was actually not that cold here a week or two ago. Then middle of last week it started dropping hard then yesterday was the coldest night/morning I can remember in 6+ years!

I'm tempted to get the Zelda DLC on the back of the path tracking feature alone.

Hard mode though seems like it'd be an exercise in masochism. I raided Hyrule Castle and strutted around the map feeling like a badass. Then I challenged a Silver Lynel and was quickly disabused of that notion.

Really torn...

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I've got about 6 billionty fame points, and have played the shit out of it, but I want more than it offers. GT seems to be going away from what I want too :(
My favourite arcade racer this gen has been GTA Online. It seems strange even to type it, yet it's true.

c1d

I'm tempted to get the Zelda DLC on the back of the path tracking feature alone.

Hard mode though seems like it'd be an exercise in masochism. I raided Hyrule Castle and strutted around the map feeling like a badass. Then I challenged a Silver Lynel and was quickly disabused of that notion.

Really torn...
The Hero's path (tracking) is awesome and really useful if you don't want to use a guide.

Master mode seems alright so far - it definitely makes you plan out your battles though and it's really easy to get overwhelmed if things go badly

I can't reconcile this opinion with any known facts.
Maybe take a look at sales... :p

But in all honesty, as I said it surprised me as much as anybody.

It has a big open world map. You can make your own tracks in the very well developed content creator. You can have playlists made of your favourite tracks. The handling model is actually really good; it's not simcade obviously, but compared to other arcade racers like Driveclub, NFS, etc. it's pretty impressive with good modelling of drivetrains, weight transfer, downforce, suspension travel, sealed and unsealed roads, weather, etc. It probably has a bigger player base than nearly any other game on consoles. And the huge amount of money they're making from it means that they've been releasing cars fairly regularly since release. The car selection is really good too; obviously they all have fake names and are slightly modified, but most important cars can be found on the list. They released the Aston Martin Valkyrie on Friday, and I'm not sure if any other arcade racer has that car yet.

The downside with GTA Online is that it's not pick up and play friendly on the racing side of things (since that's obviously only a small facet of what's on offer), and graphically it's obviously not as good looking as Driveclub and NFS. But I personally find the handling model way better than those games, and that's the most important thing for me.

Blastoise

Banned
Hey guys I have a 3 month PS Plus Code, which will only work in Australia. I brought it by mistake thinking it would work with my NZ account.

I'm looking to trade it for a key. Preferably Planescape Torment EE from GOG.

PM me if anyone is interested. I was going to post in the buy/sell thread, but because this is country specific I thought I would try here.

Hey guys I have a 3 month PS Plus Code, which will only work in Australia. I brought it by mistake thinking it would work with my NZ account.
If you can't offload it, I believe you can still make it work (albeit only on one PS4). If you create an Aussie account on your PS4 and redeem it on that, I think all other accounts on that PS4 automatically get PS+ access for online gaming. Downsides would be that PS+ 'free' games during that period would be attached to the Aussie account (so you'd lose access to them once its PS+ membership lapses) and I don't think you'd get access to PS+ store discounts on your NZ account.

Blastoise

Banned
If you can't offload it, I believe you can still make it work (albeit only on one PS4). If you create an Aussie account on your PS4 and redeem it on that, I think all other accounts on that PS4 automatically get PS+ access for online gaming. Downsides would be that PS+ 'free' games during that period would be attached to the Aussie account (so you'd lose access to them once its PS+ membership lapses) and I don't think you'd get access to PS+ store discounts on your NZ account.

Yeah. I already do this with a US account.

I just wanted to upload some save games to the cloud so I purchased the another subscription.

I almost impulse bought it but based on the conditions that are required for it to work as intended, didn't end up getting it. Easier just to use a long HDMI cable from my PC in the end.

Yeah that's my game plan too for when I move my PC away from the TV. I want to be able to couch game but will probably be at my desk if I'm playing the PC generally.

I was surprised by how usable my mech kb was from the couch though. I've been a bit slack with properly configuring my setup after I moved into my place.

N0VAM0D

I'm doing that secret dungeon in FFXV today, and I've come close to throwing my controller through my screen about a million times. Why they gotta make everything so difficult and precise when the controller is so sensitive :mad:(((

You guys are talking about cold? It's 26 degrees in Brisbane today.

So jealous! I miss summer so much already, it's been so cold here in Newcastle! And today was heaps windy too, so even though the sun was shining it was just way too cold and shitty to be outside :^(

Finally joined the auntie club. Brother and his wife had a baby girl this morning 😊

How exciting! Hope everyone's doing well 🌞

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom