• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Sexy!
441499-art-for-god.jpg
First canvas print, I reckon.

Edit: Holy shit, I waste first post on a new page on THAT?!?

midonnay

midonnay said:
I don't believe it.... its too sane for Labor

it'll be some fuckwit like shorten or maybe 007 (steven smith)
If so I will be leaving this country to the pits of despair it will find itelf in. I can't imagine the amount of people he must have to do sexual favours to on a daily basis in order to get to the position he is in. He is without a doubt the poster boy for evolution, the peak of human capability to weasel his way into society even BETTER than the weasel itself. In the middle ages he would have been drawn-and-quartered only for being a poor example of gods creation. For him to lead our country will bring about the gates of hell opening their doors and the final days of this mortal coil will bring such destruction and pain to make even the most hardened of soul lose all control of their bowels and end up a blubbering mess on the burnt soil left for them to defend.

Bernbaum

reptilescorpio said:
Lol. Straight to DVD release. Tell all experience showcasing the Fall And Fall of the first female Prime Minister. Feminist across the country will buy it in droves.
You quoted my post before I edited the title of the show from sentence case to Title Case and now my OCD is flaring up and I have to wait for a new page of AusGAF before I can post again and you've ruined my Friday.

Omikron

codswallop said:
It's alright, I'll scout ahead so I can tell you the places not to go. I seem to be good at locating them.

HAha, where you off to exactly?

We spent a couple weeks in Japan in 2008.

Edit: Jut checked, and it was fucking 2007. Time flies. :(

I spent a lot of time in Japan looking at maps.... like.

Japan2007500.jpg

codswallop said:
It's alright, I'll scout ahead so I can tell you the places not to go. I seem to be good at locating them.

Don't go to rapongey (not sure of spelling) you will be drugged, r4ped and your belongings taken.

just saying....

Clipper

pilonv1 said:
How much and where from? I really want the Death Star :(
He's using the same process I am. US Lego Shop to buy the set for US$399 (Death Star is same price), ship to HopShopGo and have them ship to Australia.

The US component of shipping is free for September only. I'm expecting the US->AU shipping to be about US$90. Much cheaper than anything you'd get in Oz.

Jintor

codswallop said:

Oooh, why you headed to glorious nippon?

Roppongi, btw, and it's fine as long as you don't follow sexy ladies/touts into bars

codswallop said:
Only working a half day today. Then it's finishing up last minute crap and then off to Japan tomorrow morning. Aww yeah.
SUPER JELLY. At least I can sit around doing nothing this weekend finally. My Fathers Day present will be 4 hours alone with de3. I hope.

Bernbaum said:
You quoted my post before I edited the title of the show from sentence case to Title Case and now my OCD is flaring up and I have to wait for a new page of AusGAF before I can post again and you've ruined my Friday.
Jeez, happy now? Just had to ask nicely. I hate ruining days, especially on a Friday. Nothing can go wrong on a Friday, not even Next Friday. Maybe Friday After Next.

Omi said:
HAha, where you off to exactly?
Tokyo, Kyoto and Seoul. Not enough time in any of em. ;)

Omi said:
From reading how Japan addresses everything, I think I will be too...

Jintor said:
Just as a tourist.

Marshmellow said:
Don't go to rapongey (not sure of spelling) you will be drugged, r4ped and your belongings taken..
Jintor said:
Roppongi, btw, and it's fine as long as you don't follow sexy ladies/touts into bars
Sounds like a good night out! I'll probably get in more trouble with the wife if I follow sexy ladies into bars...

Omikron

codswallop said:
Tokyo, Kyoto and Seoul. Not enough time in any of em. ;)

Sounds like a good night out! I'll probably get in more trouble with the wife if I follow sexy ladies into bars...

Yeah, we spent over a week in Tokyo alone just bumming aorund and it was nowhere near enough.... :)

And as for Roppongi... we didn't go there once, purely due to being too knackered from wandering about all day!

Jintor said:

Thanks for the correction man, yea i heard bad things from mates that went there, ahahaha.

Omi said:
And as for Roppongi... we didn't go there once, purely due to being too knackered from wandering about all day!
Yeah, when we're on holiday we usually tend to be too knackered in the evening to do anything as well. It's hard work having fun!

Omi said:
Bah, much more fun to wing it and ask for directions if you really are in a rush! How else are you going to pick up the dialect? Hopefully when i make a trip I will have a decent grasp on Japanese to make it fun. Plus Google Maps might be up and running better by then.

pilonv1

Clipper said:
He's using the same process I am. US Lego Shop to buy the set for US$399 (Death Star is same price), ship to HopShopGo and have them ship to Australia.

The US component of shipping is free for September only. I'm expecting the US->AU shipping to be about US$90. Much cheaper than anything you'd get in Oz.

Thanks. Will look into it, but I think the current Death Star isn't as cool as the old one sadly.

hamchan said:
Go to Kabukicho!
Sounds like it's been cracked down on a little bit, but I can't see the harm in checking it out during the day. Already planning on heading to Shinjuku anyway.

Couldn't be worse than when we were in what looked like the projects of Sarajevo at night.

reptilescorpio said:
Bah, much more fun to wing it and ask for directions if you really are in a rush! How else are you going to pick up the dialect? Hopefully when i make a trip I will have a decent grasp on Japanese to make it fun. Plus Google Maps might be up and running better by then.
Use Pimsleur to pick up the spoken side of things. Works much better than you'd expect.

Google Maps is all well and good but roaming mobile Internet is far too expensive to bother with it.

Jintor

Marshmellow said:
Thanks for the correction man, yea i heard bad things from mates that went there, ahahaha.

I woke up in my room in Sydney on Friday morning and by Friday night I was in a seedy dive bar in Roppongi watching game journalists and PR folk laughing at transexual hookers attempting to pick up German businessmen

legend166

Worst case scenario has come true.

STUPID PIECE OF CRAP I'M GOING TO RAGE AND BREAK SOMETHING

also anyone have a network job for me?

guess it's even more important that I pass my cisco test tomorrow

codswallop said:
Use Pimsleur to pick up the spoken side of things. Works much better than you'd expect.

Google Maps is all well and good but roaming mobile Internet is far too expensive to bother with it.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll bookmark it for a look at home. Would love to get up and running with it sooner rather than later as I get older. With roaming it is best to pick up something locally (as long as it is in an understandable language of course) like my parents did in Malaysia with a phone. Means it is a lot cheaper and works well.

Ydahs said:
So it's a demo or showcase to highschoolers? Also what engine is this using? Having worked on games myself and looking at it from a programmer's perspective, I think you've done an impressive job.

I'll reanswer this since I'm on a computer now.

It's a pre-pre-alpha demo for early consumption by high schoolers (as I just found out, Year 10 boys. oh lord).

We're using GameBryo with lua bindings for configuration files and a framework (honestly just a loop and initialisation) created by one of my teachers. I've been thinking of chucking the code up on google code for each iteration.

the last.. 15 or so commits have been spaghetti code and unreadable comments. weve updated and balanced the game a bit and added (dodgy) death. i'll post an updated version after lunch

reptilescorpio said:
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll bookmark it for a look at home. Would love to get up and running with it sooner rather than later as I get older. With roaming it is best to pick up something locally (as long as it is in an understandable language of course) like my parents did in Malaysia with a phone. Means it is a lot cheaper and works well.
It is, but in Japan it's really quite difficult to just buy a SIM and chuck it in a phone. The best you can hope for is a rental SIM and they're hideously expensive for data.

My recommendation for Pimsleur (not that I've done this) would be to get cooperation from someone you speak to frequently, and try to learn at the same pace. That way you have someone to practice with. Pimsleur's only drawback is that it doesn't teach you reading or writing, just speaking (and conversational at that). But it does do a great job of what it does.

legend166 said:
Sorry to hear mate. I know at least at my company they need some network staff as they are pretty low on guys who know what they are doing. Considering I spent the last 3 days getting our office up and running with a Telstra WAN through a local switch, through a Mitel phone system, through 3 seperate controllers. That is not my job description guys. I know the TAFE and Deakin Uni down here are looking for A/V network guys too as they are in short supply.
Hopefully networking with other people in the industry can find you something nice close to home.

Frawdder

AusGAF Games Night tonight is Red Orchestra 2 Beta, hopefully we can try and all join the same server. The good thing is that we can join off other people so if anyone finds a good and empty server others can join quickly. As always, join Steam chat and all that...

Not really sure if that will be successful at all but it's worth a shot. Anyway, enjoy playing RO2 beta, it's a fantastic game.

Bernbaum

legend166 said:

Really hope you don't mean what I think you mean - surely they couldn't afford to lose you?

elfinke

Frawdder said:
AusGAF Games Night tonight is Red Orchestra 2 Beta, hopefully we can try and all join the same server. The good thing is that we can join off other people so if anyone finds a good and empty server others can join quickly. As always, join Steam chat and all that...

Not really sure if that will be successful at all but it's worth a shot. Anyway, enjoy playing RO2 beta, it's a fantastic game.

I just bought the upgrade to the DDE, so I'll be playing tonight, albeit at 15-20fps - if at all. Post more impressions!

Frawdder

elfinke said:
I just bought the upgrade to the DDE, so I'll be playing tonight, albeit at 15-20fps - if at all. Post more impressions!
You shoot dudes and die a lot and it is fun!

I had a good run last night where I was holding down a small alley with an mg (the gap between the buildings near the east bridge on Apartments for those that have played the beta). It was really satisfying to prevent the enemy from coming that way and for a short while I had some support from team mates keeping the snipers away, until my team mates got bored of winning and decided to go and die, then I got sniped from...somewhere.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:

i told you didnt i. If a manager blackballs you have the balls to say look if you dont let me go i am leaving so you lose me either way. If they call your bluff you cant do much but at least you tried. If you leave though, they will learn their lesson. Don't call bluff on people who say that

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
SUPER JELLY. At least I can sit around doing nothing this weekend finally. My Fathers Day present will be 4 hours alone with de3. I hope.
I shit you not, I *just* worked out what you mean by "jelly".
conan_facepalm.jpg

Gonna use it all the time now. In my defense, I thought it was supposed to be like, your legs are jelly or you're quivering like jelly.

codswallop said:
It is, but in Japan it's really quite difficult to just buy a SIM and chuck it in a phone. The best you can hope for is a rental SIM and they're hideously expensive for data.

My recommendation for Pimsleur (not that I've done this) would be to get cooperation from someone you speak to frequently, and try to learn at the same pace. That way you have someone to practice with. Pimsleur's only drawback is that it doesn't teach you reading or writing, just speaking (and conversational at that). But it does do a great job of what it does.
Ah well that sucks in regards to the SIM cards. All depends on pricing in regions, at least Kuala Lumpar was cheap. Haven't looked at phone pricing in Japan yet. Hoping to do the Japanese with the gf if she has time. Unfortunately the other Admin here is fluent so she can help out once we get up and running but for now she just likes to lord it over me.

legend166 said:
I pretty much followed choc's advice, too. lol.
Managers can be petty sometimes. Hopefully they come to their senses before anything too drastic happens. Also Choc owes you a beer.

legend166

Bernbaum said:
Really hope you don't mean what I think you mean - surely they couldn't afford to lose you?

I haven't quit.

Basically manager was all "yeah we don't want to let you go. Besides, someone else wants to move on soon and we want you to take over their work".

So I said "what's the point, if I don't get to go here it means I'd just start looking outside because that's the area I want to be in."

Then my manager pretty much said "well then why would we want you anyway because that shows you're not loyal."

Bit of a slap in the face there.

Anyway all hope is not lost. The new manager seems pretty keen to make it work even suggesting a part time basis in both teams until the end of the year. We'll see what happens on Monday.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
I haven't quit.

Basically manager was all "yeah we don't want to let you go. Besides, someone else wants to move on soon and we want you to take over their work".

So I said "what's the point, if I don't get to go here it means I'd just start looking outside because that's the area I want to be in."

Then my manager pretty much said "well then why would we want you anyway because that shows you're not loyal."

Bit of a slap in the face there.

Anyway all hope is not lost. The new manager seems pretty keen to make it work even suggesting a part time basis in both teams until the end of the year. We'll see what happens on Monday.

that is the biggest fucking load of shit i've ever heard. It's a two way street. a company treats you well you remain loyal. You say 'well why would i ever want to stay in a place that is holding me back'

or words to that effect

Becuase its true. Fuck what a wanker.

legend166 said:

Oh man, that's awful. Sorry to hear that. I would've thought IBM might've been more open in regards to staff moving around the business.

Edit: Wait, so they don't want you to move to another part of the same company, but they want you to do more work (probably without officially being put into that new position too, I bet), and when the position you aspired to has been yanked away from you and you indicate you now want to leave, they say you're disloyal?

Fuck 'em.

pilonv1

Sounds like current manager knows he's fucked in a month when someone else leaves if you go too so he's trying to guilt you into staying.

Anyone who can't understand what's in your best interests isn't worth working with.

Choc

Banned
pilonv1 said:
Sounds like current manager knows he's fucked in a month when someone else leaves if you go too so he's trying to guilt you into staying.

Anyone who can't understand what's in your best interests isn't worth working with.

ding ding ding

and now you personally will know u work for a prick and wont be as productive. It's lose lose for IBM. I've had people i've wanted to keep who moved up in the business, and i didnt stop them

There is no point. Its like the premier league managers say, why would you want someone working for you who has higher ambition and has the chance to move on. They will just end up resenting you.

Poor management skills = blackballing. Good managers never do it or come up with alternatives. Like yes you can go, but please help us out for 2 months in a transition

In that case you make sure the transition is in writing, to ensure it happens etc.

Choc said:
that is the biggest fucking load of shit i've ever heard. It's a two way street. a company treats you well you remain loyal. You say 'well why would i ever want to stay in a place that is holding me back'

or words to that effect

Becuase its true. Fuck what a wanker.
Basically this. Your manager is a cunt and only thinks about how his stats look to the big wigs and wants all the good workers so he can get a nice cushy job down the track where he doesn't have to do shit. Seen that before plenty of times, especially in big companies. All you can do is keep going around him as you have to your hopefully-future manager or go above his head to HIS manager and complain about the situation. Or go to a better working environment.

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
Oh man, that's awful. Sorry to hear that. I would've thought IBM might've been more open in regards to staff moving around the business.

Edit: Wait, so they don't want you to move to another part of the same company, but they want you to do more work (probably without officially being put into that new position too, I bet), and when the position you aspired to has been yanked away from you and you indicate you now want to leave, they say you're disloyal?

Fuck 'em.

you can bet on that being the case

pilonv1

You have to just accept that you're only going to get a short period of time for most young staff these days. If you can keep them for more than 12-18 months then you're doing well.

Trying to hold people back is in nobody's best interests.

Top Bottom