• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

reptilescorpio said:
Or go to a better working environment.
Without knowing more about Legend's work environment, I'd say this is the best option. He's now basically been told IBM (or at least his manager) doesn't give a shit about his personal growth. Who the hell would want to work in that environment? Work doesn't have to be an awful dead end.

Choc

Banned
and this is no slight on legend but his productivity just plummeted

even subconsciously. It won't be intentional, but it will happen. motivation gone etc

Choc said:
and this is no slight on legend but his productivity just plummeted

even subconsciously. It won't be intentional, but it will happen. motivation gone etc
They don't deserve a highly productive employee if that is the way they are going to treat them. I will be making my employers know that If my very vaild concerns about my pay rate aren't met I will be finding somewhere else. I should be paid what I am worth to the company, not what they want.

reptilescorpio said:
I should be paid what I am worth to the company, not what they want.
True, but be careful about overvaluing yourself (not to say you're not worth it, but you did accept the job at that rate). You'll need some valid data that can convince them why you're worth more.

elfinke

OT, but a moment's levity at this admission from Sony:

Sony has been one of the main backers of new age 3D technology but its Australian managing director concedes 3D has failed to live up to expectations, was rushed to market and has lost the support of broadcasters.

Indeed.

Tough break legend. Hope things turn around.

codswallop said:
True, but be careful about overvaluing yourself (not to say you're not worth it, but you did accept the job at that rate). You'll need some valid data that can convince them why you're worth more.
The job I am doing is very, very different to the job I accepted. I took a lower pay rate in order to do a very basic, low level admin job putting in basic data and making a few phone calls. Instead I am effectively a manager organising works, contractors, negotiating supply contracts, developing profit and loss systems, organising the IT systems, etc. We are running so far behind I doubt we will ever be up to date unless they hire another full time admin to work with us. And they want us to do MORE data entry locally here as well as apply for other contracts. As well as somehow make things effective and efficient enough to make a profit. Which won't happen without more time to get around to that. I am doing probably 5 times the work I did at Deakin for $5 an hour less. Not cool.

reptilescorpio said:
The job I am doing is very, very different to the job I accepted. I took a lower pay rate in order to do a very basic, low level admin job putting in basic data and making a few phone calls. Instead I am effectively a manager organising works, contractors, negotiating supply contracts, developing profit and loss systems, organising the IT systems, etc.
Then screw that, take them for everything you can!

codswallop said:
Then screw that, take them for everything you can!
I'll see if I can make it to 3 months before asking for a review. Certainly won't be waiting the 6 months I am supposed to. Plenty of other jobs out there, I enjoy working with the people in the office and the contractors I deal with (most of them) and the work is rewarding so I would prefer to stay but if the money isn't worth the hassle (and we are all new employees so I doubt there will be room to grow here in Warrnambool with the company for at least 4 or 5 years) than I will move on.

Bernbaum

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I have to come in to work tomorrow :(
Today was supposed to be a day of annual leave for a wedding rehearsal, yet here I am, and I guarantee I'll end up in the office again some stage on Sunday.

Oh and I miss out on all of Riverfire.

Clipper

pilonv1 said:
Thanks. Will look into it, but I think the current Death Star isn't as cool as the old one sadly.
You can still get the old Death Star for about US$900 + shipping. Just under the limit for customs, so you fortunately wouldn't pay GST. I wish they'd rerelease some of those older sets again at their original prices, though. I didn't know there were ways to ship them here while they were still at reasonable prices.

markot

Banned
The total pay of Telstra's top executives has jumped by more than 70 per cent, despite an 18 per cent fall in the company's profits.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-02/telstra-executives-get-pay-rise/2868108
556714f605fbb0265fdbd0c98dae8983043450a8_full.jpg

Bernbaum said:
Today was supposed to be a day of annual leave for a wedding rehearsal, yet here I am, and I guarantee I'll end up in the office again some stage on Sunday.

Oh and I miss out on all of Riverfire.
Did you just get dumped with something urgent for Monday too? Someone's bad planning somehow became my problem.

midonnay

markot said:
The total pay of Telstra's top executives has jumped by more than 70 per cent, despite an 18 per cent fall in the company's profits.

to be fair, they probably deserve it after how well they have reamed the taxpayer with the NBN deal (a necessary evil)

whichever government wins, they win.

Trujillo's combative "backs to the war" strategy pales in comparison to Thodey's diplomatic silent assassin approach.

Choc

Banned
markot said:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-02/telstra-executives-get-pay-rise/2868108
556714f605fbb0265fdbd0c98dae8983043450a8_full.jpg

NBN DEAL

its a longer term thing. They got bonuses for securing 11 billion from the Government in compo for the telstra lines. NBN uses telstra lines now instead of rebuilding it all

Therefore the execs stopped the government becoming a major competitor. Not saying its right but its for that

Put it this way imo with this deal Thodey saved Telstra from oblivion. Not only did he win the government back over after wanker sol, he managed to get a very good deal for shareholders and the company.

Thodey imo is doing a very good job

Frawdder

pilonv1 said:
When is Dirt 2/3 coming back? That was great fun.
We will probably return to Dirt 3 at some point, that was great fun.

I remember someone mentioning CSS as a game that we might play together so I'm going to book a GameArena server (or two back-to-back if I can do that, max limit is 2 hours and generally we play for about 3) for CSS and see how that turns out. Mainly just to see if booking a server for games such as CSS, TF2, BC2 is an option as it's much more fun to play with other Ausgaffers than trying to all pile into the same public server and have to deal with randoms. Although in typical AusGAF fashion I kinda expect this to fizzle out and become stagnant for a while and then make another effort to try and get group gaming sessions going down the road, which made me think perhaps having a games night every second Friday instead of every Friday might increase the longevity of it all. Honestly, in a perfect world I'd like to have my own dedicated server that could host multiple games for the purpose of community game nights as telling people an IP address to join is far easier than trying to encourage people to join Steam chat and fucking around with joining the same server. [/thoughts]

Ydahs

RandomVince said:
Where did you order it from? I got mine late last week from game.co.uk
From TheHut. Not too worried, since many who have ordered from them (or Zavvi) are just receiving their copies. Expecting it to be in on Monday or Tuesday.

midonnay

really shows the insidious nature of gambling in this country when even an assistant coach of an AFL team can't stop himself from making a punt.

elfinke

Frawdder said:
We will probably return to Dirt 3 at some point, that was great fun. [/thoughts]

Having only recently bought - and played - CSS for the first time this past fortnight, I'm up for it. It had been a long long time (a decade or so I guess? I was still in college anyway) since my last game of CS, and I had forgotten how fast and brutal it can be.

Choc

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Does that mean that the top execs should get an extra 70% on top of their pay though? Don't they already earn a shitload?

under the bonus structure, possibly

the biggest load of shit with corporate australia is retention bonuses. Getting paid to not leave a company is a load of shit

midonnay said:
really shows the insidious nature of gambling in this country when even an assistant coach of an AFL team can't stop himself from making a punt.
Just shows how insanely stupid some people are. NO PROFESSIONAL SPORTSMAN SHOULD PLACE A BET ON SPORT. Come on guys, this shit is really obvious. People keep getting in trouble for it so don't do it.

midonnay

Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly Allegedly .... there enough protection I think

The AFL launched the investigation yesterday into a football official's alleged three-figure bet on the Bombers' match against Port Adelaide.

according to BF, the payout was for 67 dollars to 1 so he is in some deep shit if true.

NO PROFESSIONAL SPORTSMAN SHOULD PLACE A BET ON SPORT

at the very least not your own team or code.

surely must be an illness considering how many different other things you can punt on that doesn't involve AFL.

Fogz

Ydahs said:
From TheHut. Not too worried, since many who have ordered from them (or Zavvi) are just receiving their copies. Expecting it to be in on Monday or Tuesday.

I only got mine the other day from OGS. Zavvi seem to be getting more and more slack though, took me over a month to get Alice Madness Returns. It sat in processing for 2 weeks and strangely enough was sent the day after I emailed them to cancel it.

Was a good price though! :)

Choc

Banned
fun fact; as a professional match official i am not allowed to gamble on any football match in Australia

and guess what, i fucking dont and have no problems not doing so

Choc said:
under the bonus structure, possibly

the biggest load of shit with corporate australia is retention bonuses. Getting paid to not leave a company is a load of shit
I can understand a pay rise of 4% or something just because you have learnt more and it would be losing valuable experience and productivity to lose that employee and retrain someone back up to that point over the years but 70% is insane. Those top execs get paid to keep the business going. They did their job rather than went out of their way to create a massive boom for them. This work came about for them through the government. Telstra were in a great position to barter a good deal out of it but in the end it was the most reasonable solution for the government rather than the execs forcing the government to use the Telstra lines.

midonnay said:
according to BF, the payout was for 67 dollars to 1 so he is in some deep shit if true.
at the very least not your own team or code.
surely must be an illness considering how many different other things you can punt on that doesn't involve AFL.
Just to be safe they shouldn't bet on anything. What is the point? If anything just have a $5 bet with your mates on it or even just say, "I bet you my left nut that we win this weekend." Or go to the pokies before the reforms hit and the government takes away your ability to choose where to throw away your money.

Choc said:
fun fact; as a professional match official i am not allowed to gamble on any football match in Australia

and guess what, i fucking dont and have no problems not doing so
See, this handsome fella gets it.

Choc

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
I can understand a pay rise of 4% or something just because you have learnt more and it would be losing valuable experience and productivity to lose that employee and retrain someone back up to that point over the years but 70% is insane. Those top execs get paid to keep the business going. They did their job rather than went out of their way to create a massive boom for them. This work came about for them through the government. Telstra were in a great position to barter a good deal out of it but in the end it was the most reasonable solution for the government rather than the execs forcing the government to use the Telstra lines.

Just to be safe they shouldn't bet on anything. What is the point? If anything just have a $5 bet with your mates on it or even just say, "I bet you my left nut that we win this weekend." Or go to the pokies before the reforms hit and the government takes away your ability to choose where to throw away your money.

its not a payrise as i said, it might be one off bonuses on the NBN deal. the media did not detail this

only the financial review is smart enough to say 'including bonuses'. Your gross salary includes bonuses and as such it might be a one off.

Again i am not saying its right but the media is not giving the fulls tory as per fucking usual

Also the deal was the most convenient way to shut Abbott up about the NBN. Notice since then he hasn't bleated on about it, neither has turnbull

why

because they no longer can tear it up and end it when they win power if they do.

Why? because they have to pay telstra 30 billion to break the contract.

Therefore, the NBN is now going to happen.

Yagharek

Before the alleged team and name was thrown around, I feared it would be an Essendon person knowing the matches last weekend. And from the "coaching panel" line I admit to thinking Wallis was a candidate. >.<

As for the $67 payout, thats a load of crap (typical from BF) since who in their right mind would have bet on Port to win any quarters of that match? Essendon were paying $1.01 so a quarter-by-quarter bet wouldnt have been a big windfall.

Not saying he did or didnt do it, just that the BF clowns are looking for the biggest odds and reporting a worst case scenario.

Still a stupid thing to do, but not as bad as the worst shit that has gone on in the game lately (eg tanking, sanctioned eye gouging and immunity for some players, cap cheating, riding shotgun with murderers, 'team bonding' and corruption from ex club presidents).

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
Before the alleged team and name was thrown around, I feared it would be an Essendon person knowing the matches last weekend. And from the "coaching panel" line I admit to thinking Wallis was a candidate. >.<

As for the $67 payout, thats a load of crap (typical from BF) since who in their right mind would have bet on Port to win any quarters of that match? Essendon were paying $1.01 so a quarter-by-quarter bet wouldnt have been a big windfall.

Not saying he did or didnt do it, just that the BF clowns are looking for the biggest odds and reporting a worst case scenario.

Still a stupid thing to do, but not as bad as the worst shit that has gone on in the game lately (eg tanking, sanctioned eye gouging and immunity for some players, cap cheating, riding shotgun with murderers, 'team bonding' and corruption from ex club presidents).

what is tanking

Yagharek

Losing games deliberately/not playing to win in order to get priority draft picks for finishing a season with less than 5 wins. See also: Melbourne and Carlton ("Bryce Gibbs Cup").

and Ill just add one more point: the AFL has far worse problems endemic to how it runs the game than betting on results. The disingenuous attempts to 'balance' the competition also hand clear favouritism to certains sides from time to time. The AFL also heavily encourages betting advertisements as well. Hell, it's not even an even competition due to the roster itself. No balance in the home-and-away rostering, and some teams get an easy ride, others spend half the year in a plane.

Choc said:
its not a payrise as i said, it might be one off bonuses on the NBN deal. the media did not detail this

only the financial review is smart enough to say 'including bonuses'. Your gross salary includes bonuses and as such it might be a one off.
Ah. In that case it would make sense. Not cool but still within their rights. If I got offered a big payout to make a contract work I would damn well want the money too.

Kerrby said:
lol how is Haddin still in the team?
Who would take over? Need a decent batsman and keeper now days.

Also who wouldn't bet on Port to win?!?

Yagharek

Every time an AFL player does something stupid, an NRL player tops it.

It's a never-ending cycle of mediocrity and stupidity. Like politics.

Kerrby

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Ah. In that case it would make sense. Not cool but still within their rights. If I got offered a big payout to make a contract work I would damn well want the money too.

Who would take over? Need a decent batsman and keeper now days.

Bad Haddin is neither, so in reality anyone would be fine to take over :).

RandomVince said:

Herald Sun: This just in! NRL player admits to fixing the last 3 seasons of NRL while dealing drugs to innocent little kids!

Everybody stop posting! Another hour until I get home from work to edit this banner (even though it probably won't get used)!

Fredescu

RandomVince said:

Has an AFL player ever pooed in a shoe and left the shoe in their hotel room and smeared some of the remaining poo on the walls of said hotel room?

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
Has an AFL player ever pooed in a shoe and left the shoe in their hotel room and smeared some of the remaining poo on the walls of said hotel room?

this just reminds of

'or what you'll release the dogs or the bees or the dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark they'll sting you, well go ahead, do your worst'

Omikron

Fredescu said:

NRL guys really know how to party, for sure.

Top Bottom