• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Yagharek

Well then, better not talk about games or anything off topic in here either since there are whole other forums for that too!

What's left then? Vegemite, Crocodile Dundee and Ricki Lee?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
RandomVince said:
Well then, better not talk about games or anything off topic in here either since there are whole other forums for that too!

What's left then? Vegemite, Crocodile Dundee and Ricki Lee?

I'm sure theres an ugly girl thread somewhere too

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
More posts on NAB rising star than on the disgraceful article on the destruction of the Australian way of life.

Sigh. :)

thats the Australian way Omi, Sport is king.

also lol @ england wales.

Except some guy got killed :| welsh fan

markot

Banned
Should I feel bad for being sick of all this 9/11 10 years on stuff already >_>?

I mean, theres like 4 days to go still >_<;

Yagharek

Omi said:
More posts on NAB rising star than on the disgraceful article on the destruction of the Australian way of life.

In all honesty, there is more intelligent debate in official, media and fan circles about AFL than there is about politics in this country.

The last several years have seen an absolutely disgraceful descent into the non sequitur, offensive, bile-ridden prejudice and outright hatemongering. On all sides.

I would damn well vote for a fucking Lannister if one dared show up in the real world. That's how disillusioned with Australian politics I am now.

It truly is the carnival of stupid.

And that's why AFL talk is better in here than politics.

midonnay

Omi said:

get used to it....

Abbott will probably hold government for the next decade after the election... a new golden age of *facepalm*

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
Pokie reform?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-07/details-of-immigration-briefing/2875040

Choc said:
thats the Australian way Omi, Sport is king.

Well, the NAB thing is a corporate event making money off the over promotion of 'young talent' in the AFL. And the talent is distributed in a completely AFL controlled manner, so I am not quite sure how a clubs fan can get overly excited about some first year player they just happened to luck into in the draft.

Too cynical?

markot

Banned
RandomVince said:
In all honesty, there is more intelligent debate in official, media and fan circles about AFL than there is about politics in this country.

The last several years have seen an absolutely disgraceful descent into the non sequitur, offensive, bile-ridden prejudice and outright hatemongering. On all sides.

I would damn well vote for a fucking Lannister if one dared show up in the real world. That's how disillusioned with Australian politics I am now.

Only cause theyd give you some gold >.>! (Which is enough for me too!)

markot

Banned
Omi said:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-07/details-of-immigration-briefing/2875040

Well, the NAB thing is a corporate event making money off the over promotion of 'young talent' in the AFL. And the talent is distributed in a completely AFL controlled manner, so I am not quite sure how a clubs fan can get overly excited about some first year player they just happened to luck into in the draft.

Too cynical?
At least its not as bad as the 'college' sports in the US, hell even highschool, where the kids dont even get paid a cent and there are huge industries and so much money riding on their back and the pressure >.> (Insert Southpark episode reference!)

Omi said:

Just read that article. What the hell immigration department? That shit is just plain wrong. So it turns out that not only are the politicians pandering to rednecks, they're being advised by them too.

RandomVince said:

And that's why AFL talk is better in here than politics.
I would vote 1 if said Lannister were Tyrion. Just saying.

Bah. The govment is taking away my ability to buy smokes with pretty pictures on them! Who cares about refugees? They only gonna take ma job away!

This society has bred people like Abbott who are morons. He almost thinks he is doing the right thing at this point.

Yagharek

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I would vote 1 if said Lannister were Tyrion. Just saying.

In consideration of ASOIAF newcomers - since I was one only last month, Ive spoilered my reply.

You have my axe

Choc

Banned
But for unbridled selfishness there could surely be no more egregious example than the success the licensed clubs have had in stirring their members' opposition to the Gillard government's reluctant championing of compulsory pre-commitment on poker machine use.
If ever there was an action that could be said to be ''un-Australian'', it's profiting from the addiction of gamblers and all the misery caused to them and their families. The killer statistic is this: according to the Productivity Commission, about 15 per cent of regular poker machine users contribute about 40 per cent of all the money put through pokies.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...inner-beast-20110906-1jvs4.html#ixzz1XF0gjZ6d

QUOTED FOR TRUTH

reptilescorpio said:
Bah. The govment is taking away my ability to buy smokes with pretty pictures on them! Who cares about refugees? They only gonna take ma job away!

This society has bred people like Abbott who are morons. He almost thinks he is doing the right thing at this point.
I actually didn't mind Howard all that much. I mean, some of his policies were crap and the attitude of some of his bread and butter voters sickens me, but he did some good (GST versus the old sales taxes, for instance). Abbott, on the other hand, would be one fail after another and what's worse is that he'd think he was doing a good job. Give me an intelligent conservative over his George-Bush-esque tripe any day of the week.

Omikron

As for games, I am actually looking fwd to playing Dead Island. Based on a mate unlocking his copy (via VPN) and reporting its actually kinda ok!

Choc

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I actually didn't mind Howard all that much. I mean, some of his policies were crap and the attitude of some of his bread and butter voters sickens me, but he did some good (GST versus the old sales taxes, for instance). Abbott, on the other hand, would be one fail after another and what's worse is that he'd think he was doing a good job. Give me an intelligent conservative over his George-Bush-esque tripe any day of the week.

GIVE ME MALCOLM FUCKING TURNBULL

debug version omi lols

Omikron

Choc said:
GIVE ME MALCOLM FUCKING TURNBULL

debug version omi lols

Yeah, I know about that, day 1 patch, yawn, mountains and mole hills etc etc, gaf hate etc etc.

I swear GAF is like sheep fucking city.

midonnay

future prediction:

ABC to be privatised

Howard tried stacking the board with allies which failed miserably when many became ardent defenders of the public broadcaster...

only thing left to do is to sell off the beast >_>

they'll frame it as paying off labor's debt just as they did Telstra.

Echoplx

Omi said:
As for games, I am actually looking fwd to playing Dead Island. Based on a mate unlocking his copy (via VPN) and reporting its actually kinda ok!

Yeah if you can get through all the unnecessary rage in the OT a lot of people are saying the game itself is great, and given a few patches it will be awesome.

Choc

Banned
midonnay said:
future prediction:

ABC to be privatised

Howard tried stacking the board with allies which failed miserably when many became ardent defenders of the public broadcaster...

only thing left to do is to sell off the beast >_>

they'll frame it as paying off labor's debt just as they did Telstra.

they can't. I am fairly sure its in the constitution about freedom of media and the only way to have a truly free media is to have a state funded independent broadcaster.

senahorse

I knew holding off on buying a 3DS was the right thing to do :D

the reason is that the money is going towards a house deposit instead but eh :)

Fusebox

Banned
Choc said:
also we've already had london style riots

macquarie fields and cronulla in sydney

Macquarie Fields was kind of London-esque I suppose, in a kind of tiny, miniature, ineffectual way.

Cronulla was totally different altogether. No shops were trashed, only anyone unfortunate enough to look ethnic that day.

If anything, the Redfern riot triggered by the death of Thomas Hickey was much more inline with the cause and effect of the London riots.

Jintor

So where London was an unmitigated expression of greed and self-interest re-enforced by a lack of immediate consequence, Cronulla was a purely racist/xenophobic mob of hatred?

Fusebox

Banned
Jintor said:
So where London was an unmitigated expression of greed and self-interest re-enforced by a lack of immediate consequence, Cronulla was a purely racist mob of hatred?

I suppose you could be excused for thinking that if you knew nothing at all about the motivation behind the London or Cronulla riots.

Jintor

Choc said:
they can't. I am fairly sure its in the constitution about freedom of media and the only way to have a truly free media is to have a state funded independent broadcaster.

I don't think we have a freedom of media. We have a High-Court derived Freedom of Political Communication, but that's really not completely solid. That said I think the ABC and an state-funded independant broadcaster are policy agreements that will probably never go out of fashion.

Jintor

Fusebox said:
I suppose you could be excused for thinking that if you knew nothing at all about the motivation behind the London or Cronulla riots.

Well educate me instead of talking down to me, jeeze

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
sure its not the right thread, but you people care!

day9 has a Diablo 3 beta key and will be streaming as of tomorrow.

Fusebox

Banned
My bad, I was just being a smart-arse but it came out unintentionally terse.

The Cronulla 'riot' was a mess. It was meant to be an opportunity for the locals to sort out one particular gang of ethnic teens from Western Sydney that had been coming down every weekend and causing all kinds of shit, culminating in the bashing of a life-saver.

Now keep in mind that Cronulla itself isn't inherently racist, my father-in-law lives in Cronulla, he's Chinese and he ran a charcoal chicken shop in the middle of the main drag for 20 years without incident, but everybody has their breaking points.

Unfortunately, dickheads like Alan Jones starting joining in and spreading the message, so what happened was every West Sydney dick that had been causing shit in Cronulla stayed home that day, and every dickhead white supremacist in Australia jumped into their Bedford van and drove to Cronulla so they could bash anyone with a dark skin.

Just embarrassing for all involved.

HolyCheck said:

Awesomeness, if only i had the time to watch it. Hopefully he uploads so i can see some on the weekend

hamchan

HolyCheck said:

HELL YES.

---------------------------------------------------------

Also 3DS redesign next year with the second analogue for sure huh, or at least looking likely? Well at least EB always has good trade ins whenever redesigns come out. Oh wait but then i'd lose my ambassador games wouldn't I? Hmmm :-/.

Top Bottom