• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Jintor

BanShunsaku said:
Just hit 29 hours and level 19. The scope of this game is daunting. Also the music when you are fighting dragons is so fucking epic.

soogood.gif

21 hours now, treated myself a little but it's like heroin. I want to go back in, but I have to spend tommorrow (today) studying...

PhotoshopGAF, I have a small request.

Can anyone put this:

S2WcD.png

on this:

Many thanks.

Living in Gastrotown. Hope the gf doesn't give it to me, man gastro sucks. Day off work though I guess, aside from having to take care of a child and a sick gf.

Glen20 everywhere. Glen20 all over my face.

Omikron

Peter Roebuck's death is getting stranger.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/540344.html

A report in the Sydney Morning Herald, Roebuck's employers, said he was questioned in his room at the Southern Sun Hotel by a Cape Town detective and a uniformed police officer from the sexual crimes unit from around 9 pm.

Roebuck, who the report said was agitated, asked a fellow cricket journalist for help. ''Can you come down to my room quickly? I've got a problem,'' he said. He asked for help to find a lawyer and for contact to be made with the students he helped to house in Pietermaritzburg, near Durban.

Minutes later, the Herald reported, Roebuck fell to his death from a window. It is believed only the uniformed officer was in the room. Paramedics rushed to the hotel but Roebuck was pronounced dead.

hamchan said:
I've only played 23 hours in Skyrim and have beaten one questline. Is that too little to declare it GOTY already?

I'm only 10 hours in (though I'll be playing it all day today) and this game is pretty much the reason I play videogames. The world is just incredible. I'm not doing much of the main quest yet, cause there is so much other stuff to do.

btw I ordered the 2 Elder Scrolls books from Book Depository US, only $9.50 each, I'm really getting into the ES fiction.

Choc

Banned
giri said:
I didn't want roebuck dead, but he was a terrible cricket commentator and his columns were un-readable. I'm glad i won't have to view his shit anymore.

wat

seriously, his columns were full of pure truth for Australian cricketers who were in denial

giri

Choc said:
wat

seriously, his columns were full of pure truth for Australian cricketers who were in denial
Ugh, they read incredibly poorly, he used many idiosyncratic phrases for the sake of trying to make him self sound like he was on another level entirely than the people he wrote for.

The underlying data in the column might have been true, but i got sick of wading through "leather flingers" to find out the point.

I haven't read a single one of his columns in over 18 months, even though i'll read cricinfo regularly.

It probably drove down the amount of page hits SMH got for their cricket section, as regularly he'd be the only person they'd have covering some things, so i just went elsewhere entirely.

Hopefully he gets replaced by someone much better, though it wouldn't be hard.

Fredescu

Choc said:
Eh, he contradicted himself on an almost daily basis. His opinion on Ponting being a great example. He was a good speaker, and when you read his columns you always heard them in his voice, but any "pure truth" you read was probably there because he threw everything up against the wall and a few bits stuck. To be fair, when you're doing something as inane as commenting on sports, you probably don't have all that much to work with. He much preferred to be direct about something, than to write something considered from all angles, and he got it wrong a lot of the time.

giri

Danoss said:
Giri drove him to jump, confirmed.
eh, i'd never wish a person dead over something so entirely petty. As i said, i just went elsewhere, it was a very minor inconvenience to my life really.

What's the normal newspaper euphemism for suicide? Smh at fell from the window. Made my first thought to that he was pushed or it was an accidental fall. Fuck you.

Shaneus

roosters93 said:
What's the normal newspaper euphemism for suicide? Smh at fell from the window. Made my first thought to that he was pushed or it was an accidental fall. Fuck you.
Normally they mention "died tragically" and mention something like the BeyondBlue hotline at the end of the article.

Omikron

roosters93 said:

Call Lifeline: 13 11 14

pilonv1

roosters93 said:

I've noticed the SMH has been very vague in their reporting of it.

Danoss

giri said:
eh, i'd never wish a person dead over something so entirely petty. As i said, i just went elsewhere, it was a very minor inconvenience to my life really.
Of course, take it literally and seriously.

Surely, I was entirely certain that you personally knew the man and had a personal vendetta against him for his atrocious articles. When he was at his weakest, you made him aware that his articles would be the downfall of the sports section and cricket in general. It was also made known to him, by you, that the downturn in performance of the Australian Cricket Team rested entirely on his shoulders. The only solution was to jump.

giri

Danoss said:
Of course, take it literally and seriously.

Surely, I was entirely certain that you personally knew the man and had a personal vendetta against him for his atrocious articles. When he was at his weakest, you made him aware that his articles would be the downfall of the sports section and cricket in general. It was also made known to him, by you, that the downturn in performance of the Australian Cricket Team rested entirely on his shoulders. The only solution was to jump.

Oh, i just know some people on online forums do take some stuff far too seriously and wish death upon people over petty slights and inconveniences.

IMO, it was probably match fixing related, or the like. And in south africa it's very easy to get into a whole lot of trouble very quickly. Just ask Hanjse Cronje.

legend166

pilonv1 said:
They obviously knew he jumped from the balcony considering I knew at midday yesterday. So yeah, the reporting has been weird.

Choc

Banned
giri perhaps this will explain somethings for you

david wildgoose editor of hyper/pcpp tweeted he lost a writing hero in peter roebuck

Sounds like he was going to have some charges laid against him that he knew would stick and his suspended sentences would lead to him going to jail. So he killed himself. While a cop was in the room apparently?

Originally I assumed he found out a bit too much about match fixing over there and was dealt with.

pilonv1 said:

I like how they use the phrase 'he fell from the window' twice in the beginning and the only use of the word suicide is quoted from the police. (this is from my 30 minute memory so could be wrong)

The second 'he fell from the window', is followed by a sentence stating there was a policeman into the room at the time. It's like the article gives equal weighting to the ideas he committed suicide and it's a conspiracy. (ie none cause it's shit reporting)

giri

Choc said:
giri perhaps this will explain somethings for you

david wildgoose editor of hyper/pcpp tweeted he lost a writing hero in peter roebuck
I haven't read a Hyper of PCPP since grade 12, and haven't really been a fan since nigel mansell stopped being the editor of PCPP.

For those of you who like to buy books from Aussie Distributors, Booktopia now does EBooks

Booktopia

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
People are allowed differing opinions...

I was insuating that Giri probably thinks games journalists cant write for shit if they look to roebuck as their inspiration :)

edit: Ben Mansell is known as 'Nigel' as teh guy can drive a go kart very well and even the formula fords

;)

many press events with cars/karts he blitzed it

pilonv1

roosters93 said:
I like how they use the phrase 'he fell from the window' twice in the beginning and the only use of the word suicide is quoted from the police. (this is from my 30 minute memory so could be wrong)

The second 'he fell from the window', is followed by a sentence stating there was a policeman into the room at the time. It's like the article gives equal weighting to the ideas he committed suicide and it's a conspiracy. (ie none cause it's shit reporting)

That and there's no mention of why he may have jumped, other than police were involved. Very poor reporting from the SMH, I understand it's a sensitive situation but they look bad by hiding details on one of their staff members.

Omikron

Choc said:
I was insuating that Giri probably thinks games journalists cant write for shit if they look to roebuck as their inspiration :)

I refuse to refer to games media as journalists. If that is anything.

Games journalism is the same as news journalism. Some are good, lot are shit.

giri said:
I haven't read a Hyper of PCPP since grade 12, and haven't really been a fan since nigel mansell stopped being the editor of PCPP.

For those of you who like to buy books from Aussie Distributors, Booktopia now does EBooks

Booktopia
Damn it they don't work on Kindle.

Also Ayrton Senna or bust.

midonnay

reptilescorpio said:
Sounds like he was going to have some charges laid against him that he knew would stick and his suspended sentences would lead to him going to jail. So he killed himself. While a cop was in the room apparently?

Originally I assumed he found out a bit too much about match fixing over there and was dealt with.

convictions were in England....

the conspiracy theorist in me finds it strange that he calls a friend to get him a lawyer and "jumps" to his death minutes later with a cop in the room.

Bob Woolmer mach 2?

Top Bottom