• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Gazunta

Planet_Jase you're like a God damn prophet. What are tomorrow's lotto numbers?

Clivepwned makes an awesome meatloaf guys just saying.

Gazunta said:
Planet_Jase you're like a God damn prophet. What are tomorrow's lotto numbers?

Clivepwned makes an awesome meatloaf guys just saying.
Unfortunately my soothsaying powers only extend to useless shit on the internet. Want to know the next new thread on the Gaming side? I got you covered.

So, wait, you killed Clive and used him in a meatloaf? Sick bastard.

This is why we don't meet up with people from the internet.

Gazunta said:
Damon Hill because he's in Daytona and also his tyres had pictures of Sonic on them which made them go faster.
I don't think it is a coincidence that Hill's one and only championship came a month before the release of Sonic 3D, which not only started Sonic's spiral into despair until the recent relapse into worthiness again but also Hill's fall from the top (the change from Williams had no effect I assure you).

The release of Sonic Adventure filled with all of Sonic's buddies enraged Hill so much that he burnt his copy of Sonic & Knuckles along with his driving gloves and vowed to never set foot on the track again, after purposely spinning out his car at the Japanese Formula One in an act of protest against the abuse being done by SEGA on their once proud hedgehog.

hamchan

I have the multiplayer modes of MW3, BF3, UC3 to play and Dark Souls to finish, but Skyrim has overtaken those games in priority. I haven't been addicted to a game like this in a while but Skyrim is just that amazing. I think I'll also read those two Elder Scrolls novels that just came out.

New Thread? Yay!

Twitter accounts in advance this time?

Roosters93 made a list!

reptilescorpio
Rahk
Serrels
Danoss
Box of Bunnies
Vook
Jambo
Evlcookie
Codswallop
Omi
BanShunsaku
Ventron
trinest
HolyCheck
Megadrive
Fredescu
elektrixx
roosters93
Frawdder
elfinke
shaneus
Jintor
Gazunta

AIE Games - Gaz works here! Tweets about high quality games!
Lord OzGameShop - they tweet about games on sale for low low prices!

If I missed anyone it is because you hate me and didn't accept my twitter invite.

Useful websites!
[URL="http://www.oz

wait Bernie Bernbaum isn't Bernbaum's real name?

I feel like I've said this before sometime

can someone just make an ausgaf twitter list? would make it more comprehensible reading my twitter feed too lol

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
Games journalism is the same as news journalism. Some are good, lot are shit.

Not really.

At its best, games writers are critics on par with (professionally, rarely technically) with David and Margaret.

Most commonly, however, all they appear to do is regurgitate official information at sanctioned times when the initial preview, hyper preview, final preview then exclusive review roll around.

The absolute dearth of information about such clusterfucks as the RROD fiasco, PSN downtime, reviews making no mention of critical flaws etc makes many of them worthless. Not to mention the lack of disclosure about potential conflicts of interest with the exorbitant press junkets.

I see the majority as a semi-independent PR wing of the major publishers.

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
Not really.

At its best, games writers are critics on par with (professionally, rarely technically) with David and Margaret.

Most commonly, however, all they appear to do is regurgitate official information at sanctioned times when the initial preview, hyper preview, final preview then exclusive review roll around.

The absolute dearth of information about such clusterfucks as the RROD fiasco, PSN downtime, reviews making no mention of critical flaws etc makes many of them worthless. Not to mention the lack of disclosure about potential conflicts of interest with the exorbitant press junkets.

I see the majority as a semi-independent PR wing of the major publishers.

agreed except for Serrels who has done a lot of investigative journalism. You do hit 10,000 brick walls trying to do it as a games journo though, its not the done thing.

I made a meatloaf. I didn't make a meatloaf

mince, wine, tomatoes, garlic, parsley, roasted capsiscum, onion, eggs, some red wine, a dash of tabasco, breadcrumbs, whole hard boiled eggs in the loaf tin lined with bacon.

I want to build a PC but will wait till AusGafVFive

Salazar

Choc said:
there are shops selling AC:R i expect it to break

sigh

Alas, I haven't noticed Gold Coast retailers being peculiarly responsive to breaks. More out of lassitude and ignorance than any moral fortitude, I guess.

Gazunta

Actually, speaking of lousy journalism, is it just me or is weather reporting a lot more sensationalised nowadays?

Even the BOM seem to be issuing major storm warnings at the drop of the hat.

Salazar said:
Alas, I haven't noticed Gold Coast retailers being peculiarly responsive to breaks. More out of lassitude and ignorance than any moral fortitude, I guess.

Heh, funny, coz the EB right next to us (we're in Gold Coast) was the first to go with the Skyrim street break after it was made official :)

Choc

Banned
Gazunta said:
Actually, speaking of lousy journalism, is it just me or is weather reporting a lot more sensationalised nowadays?

Even the BOM seem to be issuing major storm warnings at the drop of the hat.

so they don't get sued

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
That is the same way I feel about the majority of news journalists we are exposed to.

And that in itself is true too. Just look at anyone quoting "official sources said..." and you know its a fluff story. No investigation gone into it.

The problem with games writers is that they dont have a high standard to live up to in principle: review the game as per your opinion, and ask the hard questions when companies fuck up. You are essentially writing a buyer's guide, not marking notches on a publishers bedpost.

Pretty much all of them have forgotten who they should be writing for, although I assume the publishers consider games "journalists" as being in their employ.

Salazar

Gazunta said:
Heh, funny, coz the EB right next to us (we're in Gold Coast) was the first to go with the Skyrim street break after it was made official :)

Well damn. Saddling up to go for a look around right now.

legend166

Dear Lotus Notes installer:

I do not have any Symphony processes running. Please continue with the install of your software.

Sincerely,

Person wasting entire morning trying to reinstall this.

roosters93 said:
I think I made a functional public ausgaf twitter list
https://twitter.com/#!/roosters93/ausgaf

Feel free to yell at me for adding youse :)
Awesome work! If I knew you could do that it would have saved me 10 minutes of copypasta.

RandomVince said:
Pretty much all of them have forgotten who they should be writing for, although I assume the publishers consider games "journalists" as being in their employ.
Indeed, they get chastised for doing proper reporting by the people who pay the majority of them which really does suck.

Here's a starting point:

I6uT7.gif

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
Indeed, they get chastised for doing proper reporting by the people who pay the majority of them which really does suck.

Exactly. It's a massive conflict of interest, and anyone starting out working in such an environment probably has a small scale taste of what it would have been like working in a police force with ingrained corruption. Think NSW pre-Fitzgerald inquiry, minus the threat of physical harm.

I understand the problem of "well, you can't write that or else you can'r review/preview their next games" exists. And that is exactly the problem as to why it's not journalism.

ClivePwned said:
I made a meatloaf. I didn't make a meatloaf

mince, wine, tomatoes, garlic, parsley, roasted capsiscum, onion, eggs, some red wine, a dash of tabasco, breadcrumbs, whole hard boiled eggs in the loaf tin lined with bacon.

I want to build a PC but will wait till AusGafVFive
You're not fooling anyone, Gaz. I've called the cops. Identity Theft has now been added to your charges.

Hang on. Lined with bacon? Sweeter words in the English language don't exist.

Cops will be called off for a piece of BaconLoaf.

codswallop said:
Here's a starting point:

I6uT7.gif
Needs Brendan Brewer spewing out a 5/5 quote. Something like, "The fourth sequel is a massive drop in quality from a series that has been exponentially dribbling in garbage with each iteration." 5/5 - kritz.net

Yagharek

Fredescu said:
I hope everyone bitching about "games journalism lol" reads Gamasutra every day.

I hope everyone posting "lol at games journalism lol" comments can elaborate on why one site may be considered trustworthy amongst swathes of others that are not.

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
I hope everyone posting "lol at games journalism lol" comments can elaborate on why one site may be considered trustworthy amongst swathes of others that are not.
If you're that ignorant, you're in no position to make highbrow comments on games journalism. Chest beating about how sites aimed at excitable teenagers aren't good journalism is just old and boring.

Dead Man

Fredescu said:
I hope everyone bitching about "games journalism lol" reads Gamasutra every day.
Not as good as it used to be for people outside the industry. Still better than 99.9% of the shite out there.

giri

RandomVince said:
I don't trust any review site at all. Not a single one.

Planet_JASE said:
Cops will be called off for a piece of BaconLoaf.
FuE4m.jpg

I would do anything for bacon. I can't imagine never being able to cook some up and smell that intoxicating beauty again.

Fredescu said:
Along with a bit of Eurogamer and all of RPS. Love the articles where developers will look back on their games.

Gazunta

reptilescorpio said:
Needs Brendan Brewer spewing out a 5/5 quote. Something like, "The fourth sequel is a massive drop in quality from a series that has been exponentially dribbling in garbage with each iteration." 5/5 - kritz.net
if I was home i could whip up some art for you if you like but for now you'll have to edit one of the comics :p

Choc

Banned
so gaz i heard ricki lees new song and my wife nad i agree it sounds like she is singing

'i need some mcdonalds'

yes, you do.

Top Bottom