• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yep. I'm inclined to lean toward corporate fleet car, as well. Fields BMW in Florida has like a billion used M3s and M4s every month with a few thousand miles on them.

Just realized I never finished this post lol.

It was supposed to add "and they were all registered as fleet cars in New Jersey or South Carolina (two of BMW's N/A HQs) and then end up for sale at the dealer months later.

He wants to be able to see the people and curbs he'll be mowing down

LOLOLOLOL.

This is a fan-fncking-tastic double diss btw. Kudos man haha.

But the Camaro has had that since the 5th gen ZL1? Or many GM models for that matter.

You can only get it on the V8 Camaro SS and it's a $2000 option... you'd be paying around $40,000 for the entire car.

An Ecoboost Mustang starts at $26K, the performance package is currently $2000 and let's assume that they bump up the price of the performance package by another $2000(I kinda doubt this tbh) so you'd be paying right around $30K for a Mustang with the performance package and MRC.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't take a genius to figure out the cost difference between the two lol. Of course if you were comparing a V8 Camaro SS and a Mustang GT, the price difference between the two is negligible once all is said and done. But for someone looking for a huge performance bargain, the Ecoboost Mustang with MRC is probably the only thing available.

Just realized I never finished this post lol.

It was supposed to add "and they were all registered as fleet cars in New Jersey or South Carolina (two of BMW's N/A HQs) and then end up for sale at the dealer months later.

Yep, this also applies to MB too. Last I checked, half the MB's we get from work come from the east coast. Anything from the west coast is usually a little more interesting, like a AMG trim or whatever.

Pinewood

You can only get it on the V8 Camaro SS and it's a $2000 option... you'd be paying around $40,000 for the entire car.

An Ecoboost Mustang starts at $26K, the performance package is currently $2000 and let's assume that they bump up the price of the performance package by another $2000(I kinda doubt this tbh) so you'd be paying right around $30K for a Mustang with the performance package and MRC.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't take a genius to figure out the cost difference between the two lol. Of course if you were comparing a V8 Camaro SS and a Mustang GT, the price difference between the two is negligible once all is said and done. But for someone looking for a huge performance bargain, the Ecoboost Mustang with MRC is probably the only thing available.

But the V6 Camaro should fall in that range too, albeit without magnetic ride. If I had to get a muscle car for 30k, the V6 sounds really appealing

ruxtpin

Banned
Drove an 89 Carrera earlier today. First time ever driving a Porsche. Was cool, but I don't feel like I got the 'Porsche' experience as a car that old doesn't have all the goodies I'm used to. Back in the day I'm sure it was the cats meow, but I guess I'm just spoiled. Didn't really enjoy the hydraulic clutch, old school brakes, and the heavy steering. Pretty much night and day from my Challenger.

Evo X

Drove an 89 Carrera earlier today. First time ever driving a Porsche. Was cool, but I don't feel like I got the 'Porsche' experience as a car that old doesn't have all the goodies I'm used to. Back in the day I'm sure it was the cats meow, but I guess I'm just spoiled. Didn't really enjoy the hydraulic clutch, old school brakes, and the heavy steering. Pretty much night and day from my Challenger.

Shoot me a PM if you're ever in Chicago and want to experience a modern Porsche.

J-Rzez

e989GDi.jpg

Posted? Lolol.

SliChillax

LOLOLOLOL.

Fair enough, I didn't know base Camaros didn't get the magnetic ride.

It being night and day from a modern Challenger is what makes it so awesome. You have to get it out on some curvy backroads and really drive it, then you'll feel it talking to you in ways no modern car can.

So I found a new car for the wife.

04 325xi Wagon. Has like 90k miles on it, was the personal vehicle of one of the techs at my local independent BMW shop.

Has the Sport Package, Cold Weather, and Technology Package.

Should hopefully be picking it up this weekend.

ruxtpin

Banned
Shoot me a PM if you're ever in Chicago and want to experience a modern Porsche.

Will do!

It being night and day from a modern Challenger is what makes it so awesome. You have to get it out on some curvy backroads and really drive it, then you'll feel it talking to you in ways no modern car can.

Yeah - It's hard to appreciate on a 20 minute highway drive. If I had more time to get used to the driving dynamics and wasn't nervous about it being someone else's car... Still wouldn't ever rule out one as a fun restoration/project car.

Anion

Mechanic cars are generally terrible. Their job is working on cars, how often do you think they want to maintain their own?

Probably different with a solid mechanic, but just saying...
Lol this reminds me of some of the Apple Geniuses, part of their jobs are to fix phone screens yet so many of them have broken screen iPhones lol

Mechanic cars are generally terrible. Their job is working on cars, how often do you think they want to maintain their own?

Probably different with a solid mechanic, but just saying...

I went through it yesterday and its clean as a whistle.

Front Control Arm Bushings replaced, axels replaced, cooling system, calipers replaced, all driveline fluids changed every 40k miles, Oil filter housing gasket, Vanos Oil Line, Vanos rebuild, Valve Cover Gasket, window regulators, blower motor resistor.

Guy did all of the E46 crap that goes wrong.

The only thing I gotta do is send off a spare rear view mirror to get the auto dimming fixed.

But the V6 Camaro should fall in that range too, albeit without magnetic ride. If I had to get a muscle car for 30k, the V6 sounds really appealing

If the previous gen V6 Camaro was any indication, I'd argue that a V6 Camaro isn't really a muscle car anymore, maybe an average powered sports coupe?

Granted I drove an automatic but there wasn't anything particularly fun or muscular about it. It wasn't particularly quick off the line, sounded okay, and more importantly it didn't feel dangerous to drive like a V8 Camaro.

That said though, if I had to get a Camaro I'd opt for the V6 as well... you can get one these days for waaay under MSRP, like under $24K. That's a fncking steal if you ask me... as long as you don't get jealous of the turbo and V8 Camaros that is lol.

Fair enough, I didn't know base Camaros didn't get the magnetic ride.

No worries. One of the reasons why I'm super excited for MRC on Mustang is that it'll force Chevy to also make MRC available to the V6 and turbo Camaros.

That's a good thing imo. As somebody who's daily driving a stiff-as-shit suspension, I want all the damping I can get while also having a performance oriented ride lol.

SliChillax

If the previous gen V6 Camaro was any indication, I'd argue that a V6 Camaro isn't really a muscle car anymore, maybe an average powered sports coupe?

Granted I drove an automatic but there wasn't anything particularly fun or muscular about it. It wasn't particularly quick off the line, sounded okay, and more importantly it didn't feel dangerous to drive like a V8 Camaro.

That said though, if I had to get a Camaro I'd opt for the V6 as well... you can get one these days for waaay under MSRP, like under $24K. That's a fncking steal if you ask me... as long as you don't get jealous of the turbo and V8 Camaros that is lol.

No worries. One of the reasons why I'm super excited for MRC on Mustang is that it'll force Chevy to also make MRC available to the V6 and turbo Camaros.

That's a good thing imo. As somebody who's daily driving a stiff-as-shit suspension, I want all the damping I can get while also having a performance oriented ride lol.
I just want the Germans to catch up and offer magnetic ride on their cars.

Is it the same as the GM system?
Or did they modify it enough to get away without paying royalties.

No, this is Delphi's system. Audi license it. Same as GM.

(Magneride is owned by Delphi, but looking at how closely Delphi and GM are still enmeshed, that might just be a pedantic difference).

No Love

Banned
So I found a new car for the wife.

04 325xi Wagon. Has like 90k miles on it, was the personal vehicle of one of the techs at my local independent BMW shop.

Has the Sport Package, Cold Weather, and Technology Package.

Should hopefully be picking it up this weekend.

Nice pickup. Good beater right there.

NO!

Oh OK then.

90k miles on a BMW is like 200k miles on an Audi, so I understand your hesitation.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Nice pickup. Good beater right there.

90k miles on a BMW is like 200k miles on an Audi, so I understand your hesitation.

Probably sounds great in your head canon but...

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/10-most-reliable-cars/

Two Audis, no Bimmers.

* Come to Jesus caveat and disclaimer: Buying European cars with advanced electronic systems is not a smart thing to do when arguing about reliability. I have no real platform to fight this accusation.

No Love

Banned
Probably sounds great in your head canon but...

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/10-most-reliable-cars/

Two Audis, no Bimmers.

* Come to Jesus caveat and disclaimer: Buying European cars with advanced electronic systems is not a smart thing to do when arguing about reliability. I have no real platform to fight this accusation.

An E46 is a much different breed than the BMWs and Audis you cited data for. Especially one with the 2.5L. Very solid cars with a lot of driving joy to be found.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
An E46 is a much different breed than the BMWs and Audis you cited data for. Especially one with the 2.5L. Very solid cars with a lot of driving joy to be found.

I just wanted to argue because it's a car thread. If we stop arguing for ten minutes it will cease to exist.

No Love

Banned
I still think E46 was the last of the good BMWs. (besides the E9x M3)

The 1M and M2 seem to be pretty good. But yeah, E46 is probably the most definitive ending. Interestingly enough, BMW and Honda both died around the same time, for both endings: Honda gave up around the mid 2000's, 04-06, which is the same period that BMW did. And Honda's last great cars were produced/released the same generation/period as the E46 and E39. S2000 came out a couple years before the E46 M3 and right before the E36 M3 ended production.

I just find it interesting because Honda and BMW made such similar cars in the same spirit for many years. They were the kings of naturally aspirated motors in a golden era of NA.

The 1M and M2 seem to be pretty good. But yeah, E46 is probably the most definitive ending. Interestingly enough, BMW and Honda both died around the same time, for both endings: Honda gave up around the mid 2000's, 04-06, which is the same period that BMW did. And Honda's last great cars were produced/released the same generation/period as the E46 and E39. S2000 came out a couple years before the E46 M3 and right before the E36 M3 ended production.

I haven't driven a 1M or M2. I hope they are better than the 135i because that felt kinda dull.

Evo X

Holy shite is that typical of Porsche dealers? Why would you want to deal with a dealer who pulls those shenanigans?

No, that's not typical. Any respectable Porsche dealer sells specialty cars to people that ordered them at MSRP.

It's the resale market that is artificially inflated. GT3RS has come down a lot recently. If you know how to talk, that listed price is highly negotiable.

Pinewood

No, that's not typical. Any respectable Porsche dealer sells specialty cars to people that ordered them at MSRP.

It's the resale market that is artificially inflated. GT3RS has come down a lot recently. If you know how to talk, that listed price is highly negotiable.
So its basically a dealer selling a used car 50% over new MSRP because you cant get one from Porsche?

Kinda like some US cars here I guess, but not that severe markup

SliChillax

I'm not digging those giant fender flares and hood scoop. Then again redesigns usually grow on me after seeing them a few times (case in point, recent Mustang changes).

Hood scoop is there to feed air and cool everything. Don't expect the Demon to have anything less than 850hp so it needs all the cooling it can get. The fender flares are also mostly needed to fit the wider tires. Demon uses semi slicks from the factory and they're too wide to fit in the normal bodywork.

ruxtpin

Banned
Hood scoop is there to feed air and cool everything. Don't expect the Demon to have anything less than 850hp so it needs all the cooling it can get. The fender flares are also mostly needed to fit the wider tires. Demon uses semi slicks from the factory and they're too wide to fit in the normal bodywork.

I get why it's there and know big engines need cooling. Still not a fan :p

matmanx1

I haven't driven a 1M or M2. I hope they are better than the 135i because that felt kinda dull.

I love the torque on the 135i but coming from my (at the time) 987 Boxster the steering and clutch/shifter were both noticeable steps back. My test driving impressions boiled down to "this is a great motor in a good sized car but it's being held back by the other stuff".

Totally subjective, I know, but I get why someone would feel like that.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm not digging those giant fender flares and hood scoop. Then again redesigns usually grow on me after seeing them a few times (case in point, recent Mustang changes).

Neither am I, but I wonder if the width has something to do with an AWD system requiring it? Could be some new axles there.

Top Bottom