• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'd be surprised and impressed if they could drop 200 lbs from the Hellcat while adding AWD.

I've dropped 120lbs out of my 350Z with bolt ons and simple changes: rear exhaust, lighter catalytic converters, tires, wheels, and some other bits. A manufacturer should be able to do all of that, on top of some aluminum panels, fewer needless plastics below the hood, backseat delete, downsize audio from 18 speaker Harmon Kardon to half that size, sportier and lighter seats with microsuede inserts instead of full leather, toy around with scaling back on some insulation (the car is already too quiet inside, as is), and provide a few other optional deletes.

200lbs is easy to find in a porky car like the Challenger if I could find it in my old 350Z.

SliChillax

Neither am I, but I wonder if the width has something to do with an AWD system requiring it? Could be some new axles there.

It does not have AWD, not according to the official video

Video-First-Dodge-Challenger-Demon-talks-about-lighting-things-up-1024x576.jpg

There doesn't appear to be a front differential

Evo X

It was an amazingly unwinterlike 66F in Chicago today, so I got a couple of buddies together and spent most of it driving. The carmine red gt4 has full exhaust, gt3 throttle body and plenum with a tune. Sounds more exotic and pulls a little stronger at the top end.

Anion

^woah that must have been so much fun Evo. Love to see pictures of all 3 GT4s haha

Damn, why did I even buy winter tires honestly

ruxtpin

Banned
So after someone scuffed up the clearbra on the front bumper of my Scat Pack, I called a nearby installer and sent him some pics of the damage. He noticed the cut of the bra wasn't even and believes the dealer licensed installer cut the bra while installing it, not being able to get it to lay correctly... I took a closer look and there are some small lines near the edges of the clearbra that look like cuts in the paint.

And to add insult to injury, anytime I brake at highway speeds the car starts to shake. So I'm thinking warped rotors.

It's a sexy car. Fuck the haters, it's awesome.

Agreed.

The disappointing thing about it is that it ain't a true sequel to the NSX. The only thing that is "NSX" about it is the mid-engined V6, everything else about it is a departure from the original NSX.

Question for y'all, how much do y'all pay for a full detail on y'all's cars?

I washed mine today hoping to also detail it but the rain was an hour away so I just used the Turtle Wax Wax and Dry solution. It's pretty cool actually coz you can spray it even if the car is still fully wet, it combines with the water and creates a decent shine. But I really need to get a proper detail on mine. IIRC it hasn't been waxed for more than a year now so I really need to get on it lol.

And I would ask some of the detailers at my old job but those mofos are lazy shits. More than 3/4's of the cars they did still had caked up wax/sealant/whatever on the emblems and I had to spend my own time brushing it off coz apparently detailers don't have a fncking brush these days.

So after someone scuffed up the clearbra on the front bumper of my Scat Pack, I called a nearby installer and sent him some pics of the damage. He noticed the cut of the bra wasn't even and believes the dealer licensed installer cut the bra while installing it, not being able to get it to lay correctly... I took a closer look and there are some small lines near the edges of the clearbra that look like cuts in the paint.

And to add insult to injury, anytime I brake at highway speeds the car starts to shake. So I'm thinking warped rotors.

no such thing.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Agreed.

The disappointing thing about it is that it ain't a true sequel to the NSX. The only thing that is "NSX" about it is the mid-engined V6, everything else about it is a departure from the original NSX.

I washed mine today hoping to also detail it but the rain was an hour away so I just used the Turtle Wax Wax and Dry solution. It's pretty cool actually coz you can spray it even if the car is still fully wet, it combines with the water and creates a decent shine. But I really need to get a proper detail on mine. IIRC it hasn't been waxed for more than a year now so I really need to get on it lol.

And I would ask some of the detailers at my old job but those mofos are lazy shits. More than 3/4's of the cars they did still had caked up wax/sealant/whatever on the emblems and I had to spend my own time brushing it off coz apparently detailers don't have a fncking brush these days.
I'd only detail my car myself. No witchcraft doing so.

AlphaSnake

Yeah, it's definitely a brake issue. Either rotors or pads. Usually if something along the hub has not been torqued down evenly (rotor or wheels), it can create minor wobbles that you won't feel at first, but every time you brake your pads will follow those wobbles and create grooves along the brake disc until the "warping" effect becomes very noticeable.

And it happens right around 2-3k mark. I'd take it to the dealership. Issues like this are supposed to be covered under the first year or 12K miles.

Evo X

NSX might look great, but Acura is crazy with the pricing. I think even the 200k msrp is high because there is fierce competition in that segment, but the dealers had the gall to ask 50k over?

What a joke.

Those cars are sitting in lots and deservedly so.

On a related note, if you had that kind of money to spend on a car, what would you get?

Used 458 Italia or 650S?

New 570S, AMG GT-R, R8 V10 Plus, Huracan 580-2 or 991.2 GT3?

SliChillax

NSX might look great, but Acura is crazy with the pricing. I think even the 200k msrp is high because there is fierce competition in that segment, but the dealers had the gall to ask 50k over?

What a joke.

On a related note, if you had that kind of money to spend on a car, what would you get?

Used 458 Italia or 650S?

570s all day long baby. My neighbor in Albania bought a 570GT and he parks it in the street for everyone to see. It's amazing how different this car is in person, I simply adore it.
OVp21Oe.jpg

ascii42

Tough call between used 458 and new R8. I really like the 458, but I imagine I'd ultimately prefer not to buy a used supercar, and would wind up getting the R8 instead.

Falch

The NSX is a beautiful car, just saw it irl for the first time last friday at the Brussels Car Show:

Also got to see the MX-5 RF and Lexus LC for the first time.

Another beauty:

What a joke.

Used 458 Italia or 650S?

AMG GT-R for me, definitely.

Bandit1

What a joke.

Used 458 Italia or 650S?

In the $200-250k range, honestly I'd probably go for a DB11. I think I'd rather have a nice grand tourer than a mid-engined exotic.

dohdough

Not sure where you live, but a decent basic detail will run about $400-450 at a good reputable shop, but in my own limited experience, I had better work done by a couple of enthusiasts that did it on the weekends and charged a lot less for the work done.

Personally, I would rather spend that $400 on equipment and supplies to do it myself if I had a garage. With all the information out there, there's no need to pay someone unless you don't have the time, space, and inclination.

AlphaSnake

What a joke.

Why do people keep saying this? The car is priced NOWHERE near $200K. It's $156K MSRP, which is a fucking bargain for what you get. And to make things more fun, this car has a published invoice price of $146K. I can't think of any other supercar/exotic that has a disclosed invoice, especially one that is $10K cheaper than MSRP.

So the actual car is under $150K. And there are no considerable options to add to it either, apart from pointless CF accents and such. They're basically fully loaded out of the box. I'm seeing a ton of cars on AutoTrader for sale with high prices, and they are either dealers who loaded them to the gills with all of the pointless nonsense or markups.

They're sitting on the lots, because dealerships should've started taking custom orders first and not order for inventory based on assumptions. In any case, cars like F-Type Rs also sit around for a bit too. But if I had a 150K budget, the NSX would probably be a choice over an F-Type SVR, just because it's so wildly different, and because McLaren won't release the 540C here.

AlphaSnake

I saw an AMG C63S today and it looks so ridiculously stupid in person. The front fenders are insanely wide, as usual, but the rear haunches are so flat and literally untouched (once again, usual AMG nonsense). And because of the high trunk/deck line, the car looks absolutely dumb and disproportionate. I took a picture of it, if any one cares to see. It was black, and the lines just stood out that much more.

burgerdog

I saw an AMG C63S today and it looks so ridiculously stupid in person. The front fenders are insanely wide, as usual, but the rear haunches are so flat and literally untouched (once again, usual AMG nonsense). And because of the high trunk/deck line, the car looks absolutely dumb and disproportionate. I took a picture of it, if any one cares to see. It was black, and the lines just stood out that much more.

You have the picture,might as well post it. 👍🏻

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

brb using imagination because WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS

Evo X

Why do people keep saying this? The car is priced NOWHERE near $200K. It's $156K MSRP, which is a fucking bargain for what you get. And to make things more fun, this car has a published invoice price of $146K. I can't think of any other supercar/exotic that has a disclosed invoice, especially one that is $10K cheaper than MSRP.

It also shares interior pieces with a Honda Odyssey. Have you been in one? The most dull interior of any supercar on sale.

SliChillax

It's why I hate the C63 sedan but the coupe doesn't have these issues, it's gorgeous in person.

matmanx1

What a joke.

Used 458 Italia or 650S?

Well, if we're going to dream we might as well dream big, right? I don't know what I would ultimately end up with because at that price point the car has to speak to your soul on a really fundamental level and that would require some seat time. But my test drive order and order of most excited to least would look something like this:

1) 570S
2) AMG GT-R
3) Hurracan
4) 991.2 GT3
5) 458 Italia
6) R8 V10 Plus

Evo X

It's why I hate the C63 sedan but the coupe doesn't have these issues, it's gorgeous in person.

Coupe is super sexy, although the rear seats are all but useless except for short trips or children.

Well, if we're going to dream we might as well dream big, right? I don't know what I would ultimately end up with because at that price point the car has to speak to your soul on a really fundamental level and that would require some seat time. But my test drive order and order of most excited to least would look something like this:

1) 570S
2) AMG GT-R
3) Hurracan
4) 991.2 GT3
5) 458 Italia
6) R8 V10 Plus

You know you have a good selection of cars when an R8 V10 Plus is at the bottom of the list. :D

Interesting choice with the 570S. It seems to speak to a lot of people and has insane performance paired with true supercar looks. I'm just worried about reliability as they don't seem to have the best track record according to owners I've spoken too.

On the topic of supercars, my friend just took delivery of his Aventador Roadster. All I have are two Facebook messenger pics in overcast conditions, but should be able to get some better ones once the weather warms up and I get some proper seat time.

evVNrCi.jpg

cGDFEL3.jpg

Say what you will about the unwieldy drive or outdated transmission, I still think the Aventador is the most striking supercar short of the million $+ hypercars.

mkenyon

Banned
In the $200-250k range, honestly I'd probably go for a DB11. I think I'd rather have a nice grand tourer than a mid-engined exotic.
Yeah, same here. Panamera Turbo or Rapide S for me.

I like the idea of long road trips in one of those. Twisty mountain fun + comfort + room for beings and bags.

Really though, I'd opt for like 5-6 less expensive cars instead.

Evo X

How about a front midship exotic grand tourer like the F12? You could probably find one on the tail end of that budget if you look hard enough.

Yeah, same here. Panamera Turbo or Rapide S for me.

I like the idea of long road trips in one of those. Twisty mountain fun + comfort + room for beings and bags.

Really though, I'd opt for like 5-6 less expensive cars instead.

Yeah, the new Panamera Turbo is pretty much a supercar you can fit a family in.

I'm curious, what 5-6 cars would you get for the money?

I think I'd spread that budget over 2 things. One supercar, and one more practical daily. I'm too indecisive to have that many cars. I'd never leave my driveway. Lol

mkenyon

Banned
Current, and would keep (but I'd like to dump like 10-15k into the M5)

VryfacLh.jpg

mZiUB5Dh.jpg

Cause dogs + kid + snow on ground for 4 months:

volvo-v60-polestar-31_800x0w.jpg

Mine:

bmw-1m-vmr-wheels-3d-design-images-2500px-03.jpg

Wife's:

Alfa-Romeo-4C-production-preview-05.jpg

Her most favorite car she's driven was an Exige, but I'm pretty sure I could convince her to go 4C.

I don't live anywhere near a track, so there is very little appeal for an exotic. I want my car to just be super engaging at any speed, but also capable of getting stupid. I also don't really care about the social prestige aspect of it.

I mean, don't get me wrong, if money were no object and I could afford $5+ million in cars, you can bet your ass I'd be on a first name basis at the Porsche and Ferrari dealer.

On a semi related note, I love the RAM 2500 way more than I thought I would. It's allowed me to not miss a day of work despite days of 1+ feet of snow. The roads have been nothing but pitted ice for 2 weeks and it just does not care. It makes hauling the horse trailer feel easy and safe too. On mornings where my driveway is blocked cause snow plows came through, I can just drive THROUGH the barrier.

Remote start, heated steering wheel, insanely spacious interior, air conditioned seats, and 800 torque seals it. Plus Ive grown to love the sound.

AlphaSnake

You have the picture,might as well post it. ����

brb using imagination because WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS

Such a pain to upload a pic and post from mobile, imo. LOL. Also, it was a COUPE. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. The sedan looks leagues better, imo.

It also shares interior pieces with a Honda Odyssey. Have you been in one? The most dull interior of any supercar on sale.

What does that have to do with the price being $50,000 cheaper than what you though it was? It looks like a wonderful and sleek interior to me. It's not trying too hard to be new-wave and pointlessly complicated (like a Ferrari or Lamborghini) with having every little thing stacked into the dash. It's flowing and simplistic. Looks rather modern.

Also, I have no idea what pieces it shares with an Odyssey. I just compared the two and I see no obvious signs such as infotainment knobs, screens, steering wheels, etc. being shared. If you tell me something ridiculous like a window switch, idk...point it out, though.

i got you fam

31626649644_98e934a8c0_b.jpg

I was talking about the coupe. It looks silly and half hearted. Like Merc just gave up and decided to save some money. It's always been a turn off with AMGs.

I accidentally zoomed in when I took the photo. I wouldn't click on the quotes to enlarge.

Pinewood

What a joke.

Used 458 Italia or 650S?

After rigorous testing trying I would probably end up driving the used 458 home.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
just for the record, the waiting game for a non-premium hatchback is as tedious as for any other car. Still no production date for my Fiesta a month after ordering.

J-Rzez

just for the record, the waiting game for a non-premium hatchback is as tedious as for any other car. Still no production date for my Fiesta a month after ordering.

Ford is pretty poor at managing orders and such, especially if the car is imported. Let me tell you about all the dancing I did to get my RS. Then let me tell you about people that ordered the car in 2015 just last week getting their car on the FB group page.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Ford is pretty poor at managing orders and such, especially if the car is imported. Let me tell you about all the dancing I did to get my RS. Then let me tell you about people that ordered the car in 2015 just last week getting their car on the FB group page.

the fricking Fiesta production plant is less than 10 kilometers from my house and the dealer is the go-to place for Ford factory employees to order their special discount cars. meh.

Why not? Seems to be the suggested culprit when I search for symptoms.

Warped Rotors are really just a symptom of brake pad deposits on the rotor.

Hmm. I donno. I just know it's vibrating when breaking from highway speeds. Annoying cuz I don't get to drive the car that often and it only has 2k miles. So it's not on account of me driving like a maniac or anything.

Could also be worn out suspension components. My E36 did this before I went through and changed every bit on the front of the car.

I think the more interesting price range for a sports car is 70k

New F-type, 4C or 718?
Used 911, GranTurismo, R8?

F-Type is one the few cars that'll legitimately make me go 'fucking wow' every time I see it.

Unless that car has a horrible reputation for reliability, it's what I would go for if I could afford it.

Top Bottom