• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

^^^ Yeah, I'm a 911 guy through and through, but if the V6 manual F-Type ends up being reliable I can see myself picking one up at some point.

Warped Rotors are really just a symptom of brake pad deposits on the rotor.

Could also be worn out suspension components. My E36 did this before I went through and changed every bit on the front of the car.

Yep, the amount of heat that it takes to actually warp a rotor is absurd. You'll never get the brakes hot enough on street tires and pads to warp the rotors.

matmanx1

F-Type is one the few cars that'll legitimately make me go 'fucking wow' every time I see it.

Unless that car has a horrible reputation for reliability, it's what I would go for if I could afford it.

Me too but if we're in this range already I would probably stretch and try for an Evora 400. For an actual sports car (and not a GT car) I'm going to favor smaller and lighter.

For a sexy daily driver and wonderful GT car then F-Type no question.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Could also be worn out suspension components. My E36 did this before I went through and changed every bit on the front of the car.

He has a brand new Challenger SCAT Pack.

SliChillax

Coupe is super sexy, although the rear seats are all but useless except for short trips or children.

That's a shame, the M4 doesn't suffer from space in the back. It's great for a coupe.

Such a pain to upload a pic and post from mobile, imo. LOL. Also, it was a COUPE. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. The sedan looks leagues better, imo.

I was talking about the coupe. It looks silly and half hearted. Like Merc just gave up and decided to save some money. It's always been a turn off with AMGs.

I accidentally zoomed in when I took the photo. I wouldn't click on the quotes to enlarge.
How is the sedan any better? Trunk is too short and the rear end is completely uninspired and boring. At least with the coupe they put wider rear fenders, with the sedan they didn't even touch the back. The coupe is a much wider and aggressive version, need to see both in person side by side and you'll understand.

Mercedes-AMG-C63S-Coupe.jpg

AlphaSnake

That's a shame, the M4 doesn't suffer from space in the back. It's great for a coupe.

How is the sedan any better? Trunk is too short and the rear end is completely uninspired and boring. At least with the coupe they put wider rear fenders, with the sedan they didn't even touch the back. The coupe is a much wider and aggressive version, need to see both in person side by side and you'll understand.

Mercedes-AMG-C63S-Coupe.jpg

In that blue, I can actually notice the rear fenders are wider. In person and other pics, they look like they haven't been touched over the standard car. :|

But, idk...I like the way the sedan looks, shockingly. And I normally never like a sedan variant of any car when there's a couple available.

Not sure where you live, but a decent basic detail will run about $400-450 at a good reputable shop, but in my own limited experience, I had better work done by a couple of enthusiasts that did it on the weekends and charged a lot less for the work done.

Personally, I would rather spend that $400 on equipment and supplies to do it myself if I had a garage. With all the information out there, there's no need to pay someone unless you don't have the time, space, and inclination.

Yeah the price seems to be around the same when I looked.

I'll probably do it myself in a month or so when the weather can finally decide on staying regular.

On a related note, if you had that kind of money to spend on a car, what would you get?

Used 458 Italia or 650S?

New 570S, AMG GT-R, R8 V10 Plus, Huracan 580-2 or 991.2 GT3?

My Top 3 from this list: 458 Italia, Huracan 580-2 or the 991.2 GT3.

If I really had to narrow it down to one though... 991.2 GT3.

The manual tranny is definitely a huge factor in my selection but more importantly, it's probably the most understated car out of the bunch.

I personally don't care about being seen in a car otherwise I'd go for the Huracan. The Ferrari on the other hand is a great in-between of the 3 but I don't think I'd be able to drive it since I'd be too concerned about lowering it's value by driving it.

Evo X

My Top 3 from this list: 458 Italia, Huracan 580-2 or the 991.2 GT3.

If I really had to narrow it down to one though... 991.2 GT3.

The manual tranny is definitely a huge factor in my selection but more importantly, it's probably the most understated car out of the bunch.

I personally don't care about being seen in a car otherwise I'd go for the Huracan. The Ferrari on the other hand is a great in-between of the 3 but I don't think I'd be able to drive it since I'd be too concerned about lowering it's value by driving it.

You are a fan of high strung N/A motors I see!

Those are probably the last of its kind due to tightening regulations unfortunately. :/

You make some good points. People with Ferraris barely drive them to preserve value. I don't think I could do that. So if I pick one up, maybe I should get one that already has a bunch of miles on it so it wouldn't matter as much.

In random news, I had to replace suspension parts on the volvo, so I picked up some lowering springs as well. Glad I did, it looks so much better now.

oYHpQjx.jpg

And a pic with the maxima
rYXOvkN.jpg

Pinewood

F-Type is one the few cars that'll legitimately make me go 'fucking wow' every time I see it.

Unless that car has a horrible reputation for reliability, it's what I would go for if I could afford it.

Would probably my choice as well. Base model v6, manual, possibly the convertible.

Every now and then I jump on Kijiji and search for Porsche boxster, Mazda Miata and BMW Z3.

I just want a weekend top down summer car, Hank Moody style.

This is how it starts doesn't it?

That's definitely how it starts.

Doooo it.

Join the NeoGAF Miata Club! Not only do we have cookies, once a month we invite a hairstylist to our meetings and get our hair done for free!

You are a fan of high strung N/A motors I see!

Those are probably the last of its kind due to tightening regulations unfortunately. :/

You make some good points. People with Ferraris barely drive them to preserve value. I don't think I could do that. So if I pick one up, maybe I should get one that already has a bunch of miles on it so it wouldn't matter as much.

Haha yeah, there's a reason why I'm a rotary nut after all.

Honestly my dream Ferrari is still the Testarossa(despite the shitty handling it has in Forza Horizon 3 lol). That one I wouldn't mind keeping as a weekend car, but for the rest of the Ferrari lineup... yeah, they're just walking briefcases of money imo. Don't get me wrong, they're fun to drive, but no matter how much of a car enthusiast you are, they're still better off as investments rather than machines to use.

Investments to use to buy a base model X5 that is lol.

Until you ride in one and realize how fucking awful the ride is. Hit even the tinniest crater in the road, and your teeth will shatter.

It seems like any "off-road" cars have shitty ride. Both the FJ Cruiser and Wrangler ruined it for me. :(

I actually really wanted to buy a FJ but having driven one a few times... it rides as bad as my lowered Miata without the performance benefits lol.

ruxtpin

Banned

I'd suspect it's something like this, but who knows. Dropped it off earlier, waiting to see what the verdict is while I drive a Hyundai Elantra. -_-

Edit: As far as budget cars go though, I don't actually mind the Hyundais I get on work trips. They're pretty quiet and the ride is smooth.

SliChillax

Weird choice but this is my dream vehicle. Mercedes G65 AMG

This is one of the most expensive cars you can buy today, and the worst in almost every aspect except off roading. I've driven a 2015 G63 and oh my god it's one of the most uncomfortable cars I've ever been in. Every corner is frightening because the car rolls too much, steering wheel is just there to complete the interior because it does absolutely nothing when you steer it. Ride is awful, interior is ugly, everything is stupid old and overpriced. I hate the G class with a passion. It's the ultimate "look at me I have money but no brains" car. You could have a better equipped, more luxurious and more comfortable Range Rover for much less.

AlphaSnake

This is one of the most expensive cars you can buy today, and the worst in almost every aspect except off roading. I've driven a 2015 G63 and oh my god it's one of the most uncomfortable cars I've ever been in. Every corner is frightening because the car rolls too much, steering wheel is just there to complete the interior because it does absolutely nothing when you steer it. Ride is awful, interior is ugly, everything is stupid old and overpriced. I hate the G class with a passion. It's the ultimate "look at me I have money but no brains" car. You could have a better equipped, more luxurious and more comfortable Range Rover for much less.

It's such a ludicrously OLD car, just think about the profit margins on every one sold? We're talking 27 years old!! At 100K, 150K, and 200K - the margins have to be at least 75 each on average.

It may, quite literally, be the biggest rip-off on sale.

Pinewood

It's such a ludicrously OLD car, just think about the profit margins on every one sold? We're talking 27 years old!! At 100K, 150K, and 200K - the margins have to be at least 75 each on average.

It may, quite literally, be the biggest rip-off on sale.
Being reasonable isnt the point of dream cars. Isay that if you really want one, go and buy
that X5

I do wonder what happened to that fella

dohdough

Does anyone know if I can take a keyfob from another Acura RSX and reprgram it to mine?

Yup. It's a VERY easy procedure. Turn the key to position #2, press the lock or unlock button on the fob, turn the key to the off position, and repeat 4 times. The only catch is that you have to complete every action within a couple seconds of each other. You'll know when the fob is paired with the car when the button starts locking/unlocking the doors.

I miss my RSX. :(

AlphaSnake

Yup. It's a VERY easy procedure. Turn the key to position #2, press the lock or unlock button on the fob, turn the key to the off position, and repeat 4 times. The only catch is that you have to complete every action within a couple seconds of each other. You'll know when the fob is paired with the car when the button starts locking/unlocking the doors.

I miss my RSX. :(

Damn, no wonder they're so easy to steal. LOL.

Damn, no wonder they're so easy to steal. LOL.

I had a 95 Integra when I was in college (still have it), and it was stolen for about a month from me.

When police finally found it and I recovered the car, there were no smashed windows. No damage at all. Even the ignition was fine, other than being slightly loose. Really illustrated to me how damn easy it was to steal Hondas of that generation, that one could do it without even damaging the car whatsoever.

The thieves had taken items out of course, my shitty as CD unit, my shift knob (wtf? It was automatic), and also my crappy KN open air filter. I was broke as hell after paying $300 to get the car back from the towing yard, so I actually drove the car with no air filter for a few days until I could scrape together a couple bucks to get a new one from Pep Boys. LOL.

Evo X

Remember that red 2017 NSX I posted here last September? The one with the 200k msrp where the dealer was asking 45k over and was saying it would be gone within a week since it was one of the first in the state?

Well I just checked and it's still sitting on their lot, except now they have giant exclamations on the listing advertising it at sticker price. Yet, it's still not moving. Hmmm... wonder why that could be.

Pinewood

Man Alfa Romeo Giulia looks good in that blue&yellow caliper combo. A used Veloce is def something I will eye couple of years down the line.

SliChillax

Man Alfa Romeo Giulia looks good in that blue&yellow caliper combo. A used Veloce is def something I will eye couple of years down the line.

I've sat in a Quadrifoglio and the interior is amazing. Materials are quite nice and the paddle shifters feel amazing, there's a very satisfying click to them. I couldn't say the same about the exterior, as much as you get used to it, it's never going to be a pretty car. If you put it next to an M3 it looks like its retarted cousin. The M3 with the flared arches and awesome stance makes the Alfa look boring. It's a shame because the Quadrifoglio is easily the superior car.

matmanx1

You folks might have seen this before but Motortrend just did a "best of the rest" round-up with cars that weren't invited to the "Best Driver's Car" competition they had not long ago. It isn't a long read but the winner is most certainly surprising!

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/fiat...pider-abarth-porsche-718-boxster-s-toyota-86/

It's the
Fiata!

Edit - Listing the competitors for a point of reference. The "best of the rest" invited to this round-up were:

GT86
Focus RS
Fiat 124 Spyder
BMW M2
718 Boxster S
Camaro 1LE V6

I'm really hoping for the 2019 STi model they get rid of the yellow brakes that they just put on the 2018s. I plan on trading in my WRX for a 2019 STi but I just hate those yellow brakes. There is nothing on the car that's yellow at all... they just don't match and stick out badly. They should either be black or red.

2018-subaru-wrx-sti-15_800x0w.jpg

DMS-2017-Subaru-WRX-STI-rear.jpg

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

SliChillax

I'm really hoping for the 2019 STi model they get rid of the yellow brakes that they just put on the 2018s. I plan on trading in my WRX for a 2019 STi but I just hate those yellow brakes. There is nothing on the car that's yellow at all... they just don't match and stick out badly. They should either be black or red.

2018-subaru-wrx-sti-15_800x0w.jpg

DMS-2017-Subaru-WRX-STI-rear.jpg

If only brake calipers could be painted... I would be more bothered by the huge air intake on the left side of the bumper which is 95% plastic, 5% actual air intake.

If only brake calipers could be painted... I would be more bothered by the huge air intake on the left side of the bumper which is 95% plastic, 5% actual air intake.
If only... right?

It's not a dealbreaker, it's just a dumb design decision and some wasted time/effort/money to re-paint them.

dohdough

Just do what I did and buy a black WRX. The yellow won't clash as much with black.

mkenyon

Banned
Upside of STi w/ EJ25: Still has hydraulic steering

Downside of STi w/ EJ25: Still has the fucking EJ25.

They need to move on, despite how much I hate electronic steering. In the same price range, I'd be really hard pressed to get an STi over the Focus RS.

matmanx1

Went out for a short ride in the MX-5 this afternoon after lunch to score a Frosty from Wendy's. It had warmed up enough and was sunny enough that I put the top down on the way back. My mood (and the day) immediately got 100% better. Believe me when I say I wanted to keep on driving (anywhere) and not go back to work!

They need to move on, despite how much I hate electronic steering. In the same price range, I'd be really hard pressed to get an STi over the Focus RS.
I actually am getting a 2019 because it's the last year (probably) of the EJ25. The 2020 will be an all new car, with an all new engine (from what I've heard), but I don't think I will regret getting a 2019.

J-Rzez

I was there, and there's was no question going with the RS. Only if you're an absolute Subie die hard you'd go STI. Id go Golf R before STI. 2020 is the WRX/STI refresh.

dohdough

I'll be getting white (Crystal White Pearl).

Good choice.

I actually am getting a 2019 because it's the last year (probably) of the EJ25. The 2020 will be an all new car, with an all new engine (from what I've heard), but I don't think I will regret getting a 2019.

I think that if you like this particular generation, you can't go wrong, but I don't think the next gen is really going to make me want to trade my 16 or really wow me, whereas the current gen was love at first sight.

mkenyon

Banned
I was there, and there's was no question going with the RS. Only if you're an absolute Subie die hard you'd go STI. Id go Golf R before STI. 2020 is the WRX/STI refresh.
Ehhhh....

Drove a friend's, and it just felt like a capable Volkswagen. No soul, no feel. Did not like it one bit.

No Love

Banned
Subaru actually has people thinking their old unreliable EJ25 is a feature of their lackluster STi's now.

What's funny is that Subaru still can't put a motor in an STi that is better in any way or more reliable than the almost 30 year old 4G63. 😂

Been driving a very basic VW Polo for a couple of days in and around Dusseldorf. Quite good fun actually. As was parking half on the sidewalk overnight.

boltz

So I was merging onto the freeway today, had a good opening, and leap out to the fast lane pretty quickly and noticed the car behind me do the same, keeping right up with me. I had to get off at the next exit so I got over into the right lane and the car lays on the throttle and blasts up the left lane with a glorious roar.

Turns out it was a CTS-V wagon and although I'd seen them before, they were always just puttering along. So I did some research on it when I got back home and man, I wouldn't mind having one of those for my next car - 550+ hp out of a V8, magnetic ride control, manual, and wagon format. Although I imagine the manual version is a unicorn considering the low sales volume the car did. Would love to see the wagon version rereleased by Cadillac, but that probably has a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

You folks might have seen this before but Motortrend just did a "best of the rest" round-up with cars that weren't invited to the "Best Driver's Car" competition they had not long ago. It isn't a long read but the winner is most certainly surprising!

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/fiat...pider-abarth-porsche-718-boxster-s-toyota-86/

It's the
Fiata!

Edit - Listing the competitors for a point of reference. The "best of the rest" invited to this round-up were:

GT86
Focus RS
Fiat 124 Spyder
BMW M2
718 Boxster S
Camaro 1LE V6

Yup, the winner was out of the blue for me and so were the rankings, but it was a fun read.

Top Bottom