• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

GHG

Guys, 0km Dodge Challenger R/T road and track edition, 20% off sticker price with 5 year bumper to bumper warranty, 5 years free servicing, tire protection plan, buyback agreement (provided I trade it in for another dodge... Hellcat here I come?). Yay or nay?

Went in to check out the 392 and they told me they were doing this deal. Really enjoyed the test drive and I'm close to pulling the trigger but wanted a sanity check? Will probably keep it for a year or two if I get it and it works for me as its significantly less than I was planning to spend and I shouldn't need to account for any extra costs unless I decide to do some mods which suits my current situation perfectly.

Sorry Alpha, I test drove the 370z, liked it but I need my creature comforts and it was a bit cramped for me. I'm starting to think through and through sports cars might not be for me :(

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Guys, 0km Dodge Challenger R/T road and track edition, 20% off sticker price with 5 year bumper to bumper warranty, 5 years free servicing, tire protection plan, buyback agreement (provided I trade it in for another dodge... Hellcat here I come?). Yay or nay?

Went in to check out the 392 and they told me they were doing this deal. Really enjoyed the test drive and I'm close to pulling the trigger but wanted a sanity check? Will probably keep it for a year or two if I get it and it works for me as its significantly less than I was planning to spend and I shouldn't need to account for any extra costs unless I decide to do some mods which suits my current situation perfectly.

Sorry Alpha, I test drove the 370z, liked it but I need my creature comforts and it was a bit cramped for me. I'm starting to think through and through sports cars might not be for me :(

Why are you sorry? I don't own one anymore. It's a 10 year old car, and it is showing its age considerably. But you should check out the Q60 RS400 if they're available there.

Also, we love Challengers here. I know I do.

ascii42

Sounds good to me. Go for it.

GHG

Why are you sorry? I don't own one anymore. It's a 10 year old car, and it is showing its age considerably. But you should check out the Q60 RS400 if they're available there.

Also, we love Challengers here. I know I do.

Oh ffs I wrote challenger instead of charger, it's been a long day. It's the Charger (same spec) that I'm looking at. They aren't doing the same deal on the challenger unfortunately even though that would have been my preference.

Oh and the "sorry" was in the context of asking for a lot of info on that car and then shunning it despite it ticking all the boxes on paper for what I thought I wanted. But yeh, they are in desperate need of a refresh now IMO.

The rs400 is available here but only in limited quantities and as such they are currently overpriced so I've not really looked into them properly. They look fantastic though.

Runs solid, stereo works (aux input too!), AC works. The worst thing is the struts are going out so they're a bit clunky and floaty and interior pieces need refreshening from a junkyard. Otherwise... Not bad at all. My friend owned it for 6 years and I gave him $200 and an oz of weed for it. I could probably flip it for $1500+.

I'll take some pics tomorrow. Now I have the M5, the 530i, my CL-S 6spd and now the 525i. Gonna try to find a good 335i over the next month.
E34 door panels are a pain in the ass to find.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I feel like a dumbass, but can someone help me understand the process for selling a car privately; specifically in the state of KS (Johnson County)?

Every Google search takes me to that stupid .org website, and our .gov site has nothing about selling a vehicle.

My understanding in the past has just been that you both sign the back of the title with a name, address, odometer reading... and that's it. Then your local DMV has you fill out a form (as the seller) that releases you of ownership.

But I've had two people in KS tell me that in this state, you both have to go to the DMV together and fill out documentation. That seems like a PITA.

This would be a cash sale, less than $5K. I've tried calling three times last week, but was on hold for 20+ min each time.

EDIT: Never mind... I just went and dug out the title from my wife's filing cabinet and read the back. It doesn't say anything about having to do anything in person. I think my co-workers are ill-informed.

fritolay

Check out lease options, especially if you are only planning to keep it a few years. Dodge had some for these cars last month that were really cheap and I think it extended to this month.

Futaba

Was out partying with friends last night ended up sat in a karaoke bar with a bunch of girls at 4am, then a member of staff comes in to tell us there's a bunch of police outside; we go out to check out the drama and find some dude being dragged out of my car by police, he had apparently gone into the locker room, gone through people's coat pockets, found a few different car keys and tried his luck outside; decided on taking mine and got in.
Staff who had clocked him on security camera had already called police so they arrived shortly after and arrested him, but there was a minute or two gap between him getting in and the police arriving, turns out the dumb fuck didn't know how to drive stick. MT to the rescue again!

As an added bonus the guy who decided to steal my car also paid for the parking to get the parking lock ramp down, so there's that.

Just how far he expected to get in a super distinctive 86 in bright red, in a country where 90+% of cars are white black or silver is anyone's guess, seriously, you could ask me at any time of the day to stick my phone out the window and take pictures of the cars nearby and you would be hard pressed to see anything with actual color.

So moral of the story I guess is don't leave keys in coat, buy an MT, and Japanese karaoke bars have a surprising amount of English songs

Washed my car yesterday! Been a while but the salt and grit on the roads is subsiding now so it'll stay clean

A6Pv02Fh.jpg

Futaba

Just picked up a set of 9.5J Rays 57Xteme Gram Lights for the 86, didn't really need them but at $450 for the full set I couldn't say no, no major kerb rash on them either just mild cosmetic scuffs! Score.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Congrats! A great wheel deal is a fine thing. I scored a set of 18in OZ Ultraleggeras complete with MPSS for around 1000EUR new back in the day.

matmanx1

I should probably mention this by now, but I got a Chevrolet Cruze Premier Hatch last week. I love the car so far.

Happy Motoring! Feel free to post pics if you would like.

Sounds like a win to me considering you really liked the way it drove.

I feel like a dumbass, but can someone help me understand the process for selling a car privately; specifically in the state of KS (Johnson County)?

Every Google search takes me to that stupid .org website, and our .gov site has nothing about selling a vehicle.

My understanding in the past has just been that you both sign the back of the title with a name, address, odometer reading... and that's it. Then your local DMV has you fill out a form (as the seller) that releases you of ownership.

But I've had two people in KS tell me that in this state, you both have to go to the DMV together and fill out documentation. That seems like a PITA.

This would be a cash sale, less than $5K. I've tried calling three times last week, but was on hold for 20+ min each time.

EDIT: Never mind... I just went and dug out the title from my wife's filing cabinet and read the back. It doesn't say anything about having to do anything in person. I think my co-workers are ill-informed.

I will say that when I bought the GX470 last year we went to the seller's credit union and had one of their loan officers oversee the transaction and act as a notary (even though the notary was not required). The seller was able to deposit my check right away and I was able to get the title and we both knew everything was above board.

I had to put the battery back in my Boxster and my girlfriend filmed the process:

Vid link

There's English subtitles for those of you who don't speak Dutch.

Good job on the video, both your gf who filmed it and you who starred in it. I like your Boxster a lot. Those early models just have a nice simplicity to their design and shape that I find appealing.

burgerdog

Need new tires on the B8.5 S5. It currently has michelin sport 3s UHP summer tires and my commute to work is pretty boring, it's pretty much a straight line with a few turns, eight miles round trip.

https://www.americastire.com/en/buy-tires/pirelli-pzero-all-season-plus/p/29285

Should I pull the trigger on those? The mile warranty on those are 50k vs 20k if I get the OE tires again. Like I said, I'm not having a ton of fun driving to or back from work so longer lasting tires benefits me more than better performance.

Futaba

XLFwtCq.jpg

Man, now I'm going to have a hard time choosing between my RS05RR's and these.

Anyone know the closest paint code to the Matte Graphite (MF) color? I know Rays don't give out their formula/paint codes, but I wouldn't mind cleaning up the rears to be as clean as the fronts.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Took my co-worker and good friend out for a ride today - at 524 miles, so just outside the recommended break in period.

Gunned it on the on-ramp. 85mph in the blink of an eye, 3rd gear, and all before the on-ramp begins to actually merge with the freeway. Did it on a nice, wide lane and glad I did... managed to stay planted in a straight line, but the whole rear end was acting like it was on ice. Traction was about what I imagine had to be the absolute bare minimum to get moving forward. Insane.

I'm going to be spending a LOT of time getting very familiar with this car. And even then, it's a machine that deserves to be respected. I just don't ever - today or tomorrow - want to be that fool who underestimates its power. Knock on wood.

Whew. What a blast.

Good job on the video, both your gf who filmed it and you who starred in it. I like your Boxster a lot. Those early models just have a nice simplicity to their design and shape that I find appealing.

Thanks, will pass on the compliments. As for the 986, yeah it's really grown on me over the past year. It's still a Porsche but fairly understated.

Absolutely wonderful car and awesome video. Like others mentioned, I like your parking spot number. Nice reference.

Thanks man :)

I'm going to be spending a LOT of time getting very familiar with this car. And even then, it's a machine that deserves to be respected. I just don't ever - today or tomorrow - want to be that fool who underestimates its power. Knock on wood.

Always a good idea. I almost managed to get in trouble even with my paltry 250 horses. Can't imagine what it's like in a beast like yours. Do people make any changes in terms of rear tires to improve the traction somewhat?

AlphaSnake

Took my co-worker and good friend out for a ride today - at 524 miles, so just outside the recommended break in period.

Gunned it on the on-ramp. 85mph in the blink of an eye, 3rd gear, and all before the on-ramp begins to actually merge with the freeway. Did it on a nice, wide lane and glad I did... managed to stay planted in a straight line, but the whole rear end was acting like it was on ice. Traction was about what I imagine had to be the absolute bare minimum to get moving forward. Insane.

Whew. What a blast.

Put 315s on it out back. It'll feel much safer.

Skel1ingt0n

Put 315s on it out back. It'll feel much safer.

Is there a good place to see what my stock rims can handle? TireRack only goes up to 305s as an optional selection.I did some Googling a few months back and couldn't find anything definitive - just lots of conversations on random forums.

I definitely wouldn't be against buying two tires assuming I could get 315s on a summer tire on the same rim. I have no interest in buying wider rims, though, right now.

AlphaSnake

Is there a good place to see what my stock rims can handle? TireRack only goes up to 305s as an optional selection.I did some Googling a few months back and couldn't find anything definitive - just lots of conversations on random forums.

I definitely wouldn't be against buying two tires assuming I could get 315s on a summer tire on the same rim. I have no interest in buying wider rims, though, right now.

What's the width of the rim itself? A 305 tire is 12 inches wide. So if the rear wheel is 10.5 inches and up, 305s will suit. If it's 10 inches wide, get a 295.

Edit: Ah, they're 9.5 all around. So a 295 is most tire I'd recommend. 305s would have the sidewall look caved in a little bit and handling will be reduced, as well.

TFGB

Washed my car yesterday! Been a while but the salt and grit on the roads is subsiding now so it'll stay clean

Shiny!! Looking good. 👍🏻

I've been into detailing at a fairly basic level for a few years now. Someone introduced me to TFR only very recently so I thought I'd give it a go. (Excuse the cacky iPhone pics)

Power Maxed is a UK brand that has been getting rave reviews and, most notably, their TFR has helped in their exposure by a few of the crowd over on Detailing World. I'm using it in conjunction with a Hozelock pressure sprayer and using a dilution ratio of 1:10. I did originally try the recommended 1:50 dilution ratio, but wasn't impressed so changed it on recommendations from Detailing World.

FtFpNISh.jpg

Before shot:

4doWDNlh.jpg

TFR applied and left to dwell for 5 minutes. Pressure washed off. Not bad at all!

tLndAx2h.jpg

Thought I'd give it another go. Again, left to dwell for 5 minutes and pressure washed off. No mitt or microfibre used at all. Even better!

1y3PzGdh.jpg

I have to say I'm converted. This stuff is way more effective than my previous Snowfoams using a PA Foam Lance on a Nilfisk with Meg's Hyper Wash, and it doesn't strip your LSP. I did give it a Hyperwash after, then followed with C2V3 and Meg's Last Touch. Wheels had been sealed with FK1000P and dressed with Meg's Endurance Gel.

dnCD01gh.jpg

All ready to get dirty again. Yippeeee!!! 🙄

golem

I've been into detailing at a fairly basic level for a few years now. Someone introduced me to TFR only very recently so I thought I'd give it a go. (Excuse the cacky iPhone pics)

Power Maxed is a UK brand that has been getting rave reviews and, most notably, their TFR has helped in their exposure by a few of the crowd over on Detailing World. I'm using it in conjunction with a Hozelock pressure sprayer and using a dilution ratio of 1:10. I did originally try the recommended 1:50 dilution ratio, but wasn't impressed so changed it on recommendations from Detailing World.
Interesting looking product, the results look pretty damn good. Havent heard of it before, do you know if its safe to use on ceramic coatings and clear bras?

Also beautiful car :D

TFGB

Interesting looking product, the results look pretty damn good. Havent heard of it before, do you know if its safe to use on ceramic coatings and clear bras?

Also beautiful car :D

Cheers golem! It's safe to use on PPF as my Mac is covered in the stuff lol. :) (All the carbon fibre, bonnet, skirts etc.) You can see the outline of the VentureShield on the rear arch.

Pinewood

Been wanting a bike for a while, but I realized I could get a decent cabriolet, like a NB MX5 or a 916 Spider for the price a license+bike+safety gear would run me. Kinda different strokes, but still.

Need to check if a friend of mine would like to go splits on one as a project car

Been wanting a bike for a while, but I realized I could get a decent cabriolet, like a NB MX5 or a 916 Spider for the price a license+bike+safety gear would run me. Kinda different strokes, but still.

Need to check if a friend of mine would like to go splits on one as a project car

It kinda threw me off for a second that you said bike, then car and then '916' again. Which is of course also the designation of the most beautiful bike ever made.

Get a bike.

Evo X

Cheers golem! It's safe to use on PPF as my Mac is covered in the stuff lol. :) (All the carbon fibre, bonnet, skirts etc.) You can see the outline of the VentureShield on the rear arch.

Could you do a comparison of your 458 and 650S when you have a chance?

Really curious to hear an owners perspective.

Pinewood

It kinda threw me off for a second that you said bike, then car and then '916' again. Which is of course also the designation of the most beautiful bike ever made.

Get a bike.

I meant the 916 Alfa :p. Its just that all this "driving into the sunset and in the night is the most amazing thing ever" in this thread got me wanting one :/

I will probably try and get a license this year, would have done that already last year, but there is is a law prohibiting you driving too powerful bikes before you're 24 or have had the license for 2 years. Didnt see the point in getting the license just to order a new one in 12 months since I wasn't able to afford a bike anyways.

I meant the 916 Alfa :p. Its just that all this "driving into the sunset and in the night is the most amazing thing ever" in this thread got me wanting one :/

In an open topped sports car you mean? Yeah, it's pretty damn great to be able to glance up at the stars on a warm summer night.

Though as an owner of both, I think I have to still hand it to my bikes in terms of how much pure joy they give me.

Never knew that Alfa is known as a 916 btw, it's called the GTV round these parts.

I will probably try and get a license this year, would have done that already last year, but there is is a law prohibiting you driving too powerful bikes before you're 24 or have had the license for 2 years. Didnt see the point in getting the license just to order a new one in 12 months since I wasn't able to afford a bike anyways.

Fair enough.

TFGB

Could you do a comparison of your 458 and 650S when you have a chance?

Really curious to hear an owners perspective.

I no longer have the Italia, but it was great and a real headturner. The only thing is, after driving the Mac, the 458 felt nowhere near as special by comparison. The 650S feels like a true supercar...it's acceleration is almost frightening, yet it sticks to the road like shit to a blanket lol, and that's only having it in Sports powertrain and Normal handling.

The main thing I have noticed though, and I don't know if it's because it's a true British supercar manufacturer and the fact that I live in England, is that the response is completely different to anything else I've owned...including the DBS and the Continental GT.

People see it and clap, cheer, wolf-whistle or give the thumbs up. In previous cars, people would look, then look away for whatever reason...in the Mac, it's like people have a true affection for it.

It's weird, but also an amazing feeling that people are maybe showing some form of patriotism I think. Instead of the 'haters', everyone seems to be 'lovers' lol...if that makes sense?

Drive wise, it's the tightest car I've driven. I'll be looking to switch to the 720S Spider version when it's released, but at the moment, for me, it's just an incredible piece of machinery that is unrivalled at the price for overall performance, craftmanship, speed and exclusivity.

Less flashy than a Ferrari or Lambo, yet somehow more desirable. :)

Evo X

I no longer have the Italia, but it was great and a real headturner. The only thing is, after driving the Mac, the 458 felt nowhere near as special by comparison. The 650S feels like a true supercar...it's acceleration is almost frightening, yet it sticks to the road like shit to a blanket lol, and that's only having it in Sports powertrain and Normal handling.

The main thing I have noticed though, and I don't know if it's because it's a true British supercar manufacturer and the fact that I live in England, is that the response is completely different to anything else I've owned...including the DBS and the Continental GT.

People see it and clap, cheer, wolf-whistle or give the thumbs up. In previous cars, people would look, then look away for whatever reason...in the Mac, it's like people have a true affection for it.

It's weird, but also an amazing feeling that people are maybe showing some form of patriotism I think. Instead of the 'haters', everyone seems to be 'lovers' lol...if that makes sense?

Drive wise, it's the tightest car I've driven. I'll be looking to switch to the 720S Spider version when it's released, but at the moment, for me, it's just an incredible piece of machinery that is unrivalled at the price for overall performance, craftmanship, speed and exclusivity.

Interesting.

Because my friend had quite the opposite experience. He had a 458 and now has a 650S and misses the Ferrari even though the McLaren is faster.

Guess getting a supercar is a very personal thing.

Have you driven the 570S and 675LT? Those look much better to me than the 650.

One thing that scares me about McLaren ownership is the steep depreciation curve. I can see 650S coming down to $150k once the 720S is released.

Futaba

Roughly on that topic, I don't know why anyone in japan would buy a supercar, the roads are fucking awful, and everyone drives like breaking 1500 rpm is the biggest sin a human can commit.

Can certainly tell TFGB's a brit with that shit to a blanket comment, I miss the UK sometimes :p

TFGB

Interesting.

Because my friend had quite the opposite experience. He had a 458 and now has a 650S and misses the Ferrari even though the McLaren is faster.

Guess getting a supercar is a very personal thing.

Have you driven the 570S and 675LT? Those look much better to me than the 650.

One thing that scares me about McLaren ownership is the steep depreciation curve. I can see 650S coming down to $150k once the 720S is released.
Not sure how the 570S can look 'much better' than the 650S? Do you mean aesthetically, or the fact that it's £100k cheaper? Performance wise it can't touch the 650S, but then the 570 is in the 'sports car' category, and the 650S is in the 'Supercar' category.

As for depreciation, the 720S will likely be priced in a higher bracket between the 650S and 675LT, and 650S prices bottomed out a while ago here in the UK. 12C prices are on the rise so I envisage the same happening to the 650S in the near future.

Driven both the LT and the 570 -S and GT. The 570 doesn't hit the button, both in interior spec and drivewise...it feels like a 458. The LT is that notch above the 650S, but personally I can't see the performance increase demanding another £200K. Exclusivity - yes, but performance - no.

As regards to a 650S vs 458...your mate is the first I've heard that would prefer the galloping horse over the Brit flick. ;) Speciale will have it's loyal admirers obviously.

@Futaba lol excuse my language! Can the roads in Japan be any worse than here? Fuck me they're absolutely awful!! Pothole city! Except Scotland...the roads there are A1.

Futaba

@Futaba lol excuse my language! Can the roads in Japan be any worse than here? Fuck me they're absolutely awful!! Pothole city! Except Scotland...the roads there are A1.
Destroyed both front shock cartridges in my R34 GTR a few years back, on a highway doing 90, they had laid a new section of highway and left a 11 inch or so gap where the old tarmac met the new, and just tossed some sand in to fill it (which obviously got washed away with the first rain), that should give you some indication of the 'we don't really give a shit everyone uses trains anyway" attitude over here.

Not that UK roads fared any better, but hey, at least the road works were a little more logical..

5b94cbb2457df28c74c186b1a082c3a2.jpg

Seriously, am I supposed to stop and take pictures or what?

That rear windows giving me all sorts of Jenson Interceptor vibes

golem

Sounds good I have a full body ppf and lsp too, although I just checked the price on Amazon UK and they want more than the cost of the product to ship it to the states lol. Maybe my sister can bring some over when she pops by in April ;)

GHG

Check out lease options, especially if you are only planning to keep it a few years. Dodge had some for these cars last month that were really cheap and I think it extended to this month.

Leasing isn't really a thing in Dubai unfortunately. The best you can hope for is 0% finance and a buy back agreement. I'm just going with the buy back agreement because I can see myself going for the hellcat at some point in the future. If I decide not to then oh well, I should still be able to get a decent amount for the car elsewhere if I'm going for something else.

Think I'm gonna go for it. Breaking rules, I always said to myself I'd never buy a new car yet here I am. I won't get to spec it out though unfortunately, they have a few at the port that are all optioned the same (R/T Road and Track) so it will just be a case of picking exterior and interior colours based on what they have left. They don't have any with the black/red interior left though which would have been my preference :( .

Funny that you guys are talking about wider tires for the challenger above, they put skinny tires on all these cars (challenger/charger) from the factory for some reason. I think getting wider rear tires will be something I will look at doing at the first opportunity I get.

AlphaSnake

Ferraris and Lambos bring out the dickery in people. And a lot of people find them ostentatious and gaudy. I see the looks my brother gets in his Huracan - younger folk love it, but anyone over 30 rolls their eyes, goes around him, looks and looks away, etc. Same as you mentioned it. When people take pics of his car, one day we found an Instagram photo of the hashtag #daddyscar. Hahaha. So the haters are out in full force, even if they take a pic.

McLaren's are my favorite supercars too, because they are understated and have very timeless lines. But, as I've said before, I'm not a flashy guy who likes a lot of attention, so they suit me better than the Italians. I wish they'd give us Americans the 540C, because I'd buy one.

They revealed the Performante Huracan two days ago. My brother saw it...and ordered it. The rumors are true, it slayed the 918 on the Ring, even though I find those times meaningless.

Destroyed both front shock cartridges in my R34 GTR a few years back, on a highway doing 90, they had laid a new section of highway and left a 11 inch or so gap where the old tarmac met the new, and just tossed some sand in to fill it (which obviously got washed away with the first rain), that should give you some indication of the 'we don't really give a shit everyone uses trains anyway" attitude over here.

Not that UK roads fared any better, but hey, at least the road works were a little more logical..

5b94cbb2457df28c74c186b1a082c3a2.jpg

Seriously, am I supposed to stop and take pictures or what?

Kinda surprised. In my time in Japan I thought the roads were pretty good. Maybe it differs by location.

I saw a real Alpine (og A110) blast down the mountain when I was in Switzerland earlier this month for a week of snowboarding. It was like seeing a rare type of bird. No, it was better than seeing a rare type of bird. It was like seeing a very rare car :p. It was snowing heavily as well, awesome sight.

Top Bottom