• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Futaba

Kinda surprised. In my time in Japan I thought the roads were pretty good. Maybe it differs by location.
There's good and bad just about everywhere, central Tokyo and down in Osaka are mostly fine, same goes for the major backbones around Tokyo, but stray off into the more residential areas and the surface quality takes a nose dive, I usually run my shocks fairly stiff for track but have to dial them all the way to soft for city use around where I live just out of necessity really.
At times the actual structure of the asphalt is fine, nice and smooth but the underlayed support is mush and it makes for smooth, deep dips that really do a number on you if you're going at some pace, route 246 especially, there's sections of that road so stressed from heavy HGV use that there's literally channels your wheels dip into along the highway that get super sketch when it rains as they pool the water hardcore.

Might slap the GoPro on the dash in the morning and take some footage around my area to show you just how messed up it gets

TFGB

Might slap the GoPro on the dash in the morning and take some footage around my area to show you just how messed up it gets

Not a bad call as it happens! I might get my other half to drive and grab some footage of our seafront road down here on the South Coast. The potholes are shocking! (Knowing my luck the council will have filled them in just before I film lol)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Not a bad call as it happens! I might get my other half to drive and grab some footage of our seafront road down here on the South Coast. The potholes are shocking! (Knowing my luck the council will have filled them in just before I film lol)

Does she like driving the Mac or your other exotics?

No Love

Banned
Of Course Car Companies Knew The Takata Airbags Were Dangerous

So does anyone think there will be additional fallout for Ford, Nissan, Honda, and Toyota based on this? Seems like there definitely would be.

Also I got a recall notice on my truck about 2 years ago for an airbag and they still don't have a remedy. WTF.

Not fucking surprised. Still need to go do the airbag recall on my Acura. '02 and '03 M5's have been recalled but not my '01, guess it doesn't use a Takata. If I get in a crash with it and get hurt/killed because of the airbag you guys be my witness that BMW fucked me lol.

But seriously, fuck Takata. They + automakers deserve to get fucked just as hard as VW did for Dieselgate.

AlphaSnake

He shares the same passion for cars and technology as I do. XD (Though he's not a gamer!)

Hah! I find it a relief when people's SO share their hobbies with them. Lord knows if my wife didn't like cars, I'd have problems. Then again, she may not even become my wife. Hahaha

nitewulf

My ex-wife was very cool about cars though, but she didn't understand my hi-fi gear. I don't think I'll ever find a woman who enjoys or understands hi-fi stereo gear.

Malvolio

Of Course Car Companies Knew The Takata Airbags Were Dangerous

So does anyone think there will be additional fallout for Ford, Nissan, Honda, and Toyota based on this? Seems like there definitely would be.

Also I got a recall notice on my truck about 2 years ago for an airbag and they still don't have a remedy. WTF.

I sold my Honda after the dealer told me it would be at least 18 months before they'd have replacements available. I've been a Honda guy my whole life but never again. It's criminal what they did.

Funny story: Had a guy in an Accord with Trump stickers on his bumper actually stop me in a Costco parking lot to berate me for buying a VW after deiselgate. I replied, "You know that Honda knew the airbags were faulty before they killed almost a dozen people right?". He stammered before muttering, "I think I proved my point," and drove off.

matmanx1

My ex-wife was very cool about cars though, but she didn't understand my hi-fi gear. I don't think I'll ever find a woman who enjoys or understands hi-fi stereo gear.

Amen, brother. My wife understands my automotive hobby because she grew up with her brother who is also a car enthusiast and a big time Mazda fan.

The headphones, DAC's, amp's and personal audio? Not so much.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
We got a new travel agency at work, and somewhere along the line my rental reservation got screwed up. Long story short: the rental-specific Impala is absolute junk. It's a brand new car and doesn't have USB plug anywhere.

AlphaSnake

We got a new travel agency at work, and somewhere along the line my rental reservation got screwed up. Long story short: the rental-specific Impala is absolute junk. It's a brand new car and doesn't have USB plug anywhere.

OMG. You got stuck with one of those "Rental" Impalas?

They are such massive pieces of shit. I can't believe people actually bought them. Not even police officers should have been subjected to that junk.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
OMG. You got stuck with one of those "Rental" Impalas?

They are such massive pieces of shit. I can't believe people actually bought them. Not even police officers should have been subjected to that junk.

Completely agreed. This thing is insane.

It doesn't have ANY markings on the auto shifter - which, granted, isn't a big deal after your first thirty seconds with the car. But for a RENTAL - a car that will constantly be used by those unfamiliar, it makes no sense.

No USB ports. Stereo is AWFUL and a distorted mess at any volume above the first 2 or 3 bars out of ~20. Steering wheel is the worst of the worst plastic.

I get it - it's a rental to get you from A to B. But even there it fails. I'm averaging like 19 MPG on the highway with a steady foot, the trunk is cramped, and visibility isn't all that great.

In the same "class" of car you have things like the Mazda 6 and Fusion that even in their base trims are leaps and bounds better.

Alpha, sorry if I've missed it before; what's your brother do to have such awesome rides?

Anion

Shiny!! Looking good. 👍🏻

I've been into detailing at a fairly basic level for a few years now. Someone introduced me to TFR only very recently so I thought I'd give it a go. (Excuse the cacky iPhone pics)

Power Maxed is a UK brand that has been getting rave reviews and, most notably, their TFR has helped in their exposure by a few of the crowd over on Detailing World. I'm using it in conjunction with a Hozelock pressure sprayer and using a dilution ratio of 1:10. I did originally try the recommended 1:50 dilution ratio, but wasn't impressed so changed it on recommendations from Detailing World.

Before shot:

TFR applied and left to dwell for 5 minutes. Pressure washed off. Not bad at all!

Thought I'd give it another go. Again, left to dwell for 5 minutes and pressure washed off. No mitt or microfibre used at all. Even better!

I have to say I'm converted. This stuff is way more effective than my previous Snowfoams using a PA Foam Lance on a Nilfisk with Meg's Hyper Wash, and it doesn't strip your LSP. I did give it a Hyperwash after, then followed with C2V3 and Meg's Last Touch. Wheels had been sealed with FK1000P and dressed with Meg's Endurance Gel.

All ready to get dirty again. Yippeeee!!! 🙄

All of this is amazing! really neat! I was looking for some kind of rim sealant.

Do you or anyone in this thread have a good rim sealant/something to help reduce the buildup of brake dust lol?

There's good and bad just about everywhere, central Tokyo and down in Osaka are mostly fine, same goes for the major backbones around Tokyo, but stray off into the more residential areas and the surface quality takes a nose dive, I usually run my shocks fairly stiff for track but have to dial them all the way to soft for city use around where I live just out of necessity really.
At times the actual structure of the asphalt is fine, nice and smooth but the underlayed support is mush and it makes for smooth, deep dips that really do a number on you if you're going at some pace, route 246 especially, there's sections of that road so stressed from heavy HGV use that there's literally channels your wheels dip into along the highway that get super sketch when it rains as they pool the water hardcore.

You should, I kinda want to see..

I will say, my time in a car in Japan is definitely less than yours. Also, all that time was spent in more southern places like Hiroshima, Izumo, Iki island and some Fukuoka. I've yet to even ride in a car anywhere near the Tokyo or Osaka area.

Pinewood

In an open topped sports car you mean? Yeah, it's pretty damn great to be able to glance up at the stars on a warm summer night.

Though as an owner of both, I think I have to still hand it to my bikes in terms of how much pure joy they give me.

Never knew that Alfa is known as a 916 btw, it's called the GTV round these parts.

I think thats one of the few Ive seen the type being used in conjunction with the name online, I guess its because there are a couple of GTVs and Spiders?

GHG

What's everyone's take on the 128i? I'm looking for my first rwd car.

Are you looking at the newer hatchback version or one of the older coupe/convertible ones with the straight 6 which the 2 series ended up replacing? If it's the latter they are fun little cars but watch out for reliability because it will be a BMW out of warranty which a few of us can vouch for being expensive, so I'd suggest having an "in case shit goes wrong" fund available at all times. It shouldn't be anything too bad though because it's not the 35i version with the first gen N55 engine which had a whole host of issues.

Futaba

You should, I kinda want to see..

I will say, my time in a car in Japan is definitely less than yours. Also, all that time was spent in more southern places like Hiroshima, Izumo, Iki island and some Fukuoka. I've yet to even ride in a car anywhere near the Tokyo or Osaka area.
Apologies dude I went out with this aim in mind and ended up just driving up one of my favorite roads instead, got to the parking area be there's a nice z and a Miata both with their brake rotors pinging as much as mine; guess I had went the only one lol

uYcPk48h.jpg
Im a little weirded out that we're all running enkies

GHG

All done. Gone for the Jazz Blue Pearl with the black interior. There's a chance it might be ready for me to pick it up tomorrow.

Excited! I'm already looking at exhaust mods on YouTube lol.

Futaba

You're switching yours for the grey/graphite ones though, right? Still really dig these.

Yes and No, i bought the graphite rays to mount winter tires to mainly we go snowboarding a lot during late nov to late march and the highways around central japan can be a bit sketchy on summer tires, and also because it tucks the rear wheels in just far enough to pass Shaken testing, so they'll only be on during winter then swapped back to the Enkie RS05RR's in spring/summer, I figure it'll prolong the tires quite a bit too.

As they are the Enkies only poke past the rear arches by about 11mm, but that's 11mm too far and 15 or so mm away from being safely within Japanese legal requirement for vehicle inspection!

AlphaSnake

Alpha, sorry if I've missed it before; what's your brother do to have such awesome rides?

Finance nowadays, mostly. He started out in digital advertising, though. Grew the business and then sold it to a fairly prominent company you may have installed on your phone. Now he's just in finance, investing, loaning, and such. Can't really give out the details much. :)

So my girlfriend is tired of her Jetta and wants something that I consider to be worse, a Hyundai Veloster; her reasons are 100% aesthetic, i.e., "It's pretty!". Anybody have experience with these things? She gets anxious with things that might have costly maintenance, and I'm especially leery of it having a DCT automatic.

We're going to go check one out later, but I don't know a heck of a lot about these cars other than they look much faster than they actually are (138hp? Seriously?).

I'm trying to convince her to get a Boxster. She won't bite due to maintenance worries. But c'mon that's what I'm here for!

Cowie

So my girlfriend is tired of her Jetta and wants something that I consider to be worse, a Hyundai Veloster; her reasons are 100% aesthetic, i.e., "It's pretty!". Anybody have experience with these things? She gets anxious with things that might have costly maintenance, and I'm especially leery of it having a DCT automatic.

We're going to go check one out later, but I don't know a heck of a lot about these cars other than they look much faster than they actually are (138hp? Seriously?).

I'm trying to convince her to get a Boxster. She won't bite due to maintenance worries. But c'mon that's what I'm here for!

Can't speak to the longterm, but had one as a rental car after enterprise completely dropped the fucking ball on getting me the camaro ss that I ordered weeks in advance

looking kind of cool is about the extent of joy you can get out of that car, unless you're way into gas mileage at the expense of struggling to even hit highway speeds. The ride quality was awful, which I guess would be fine if the car was at least sporty, but with that anemic engine and slow, sloppy transmission I'm not buying the tradeoff.

There's a turbocharged version that makes something like 199hp that might make the car a bit more driveable from an enjoyment standpoint, but it'll also cost more, which sorta goes against the entire appeal of looking cool for dirt cheap.

Admittedly it was surprisingly spacious (I had no problems in it at 6'4) so I guess there's a smidge of practicality in there, but I dunno. Take one for a test drive, try to find some shitty roads to drive on to see if she can deal with the ride. Hell, I even found the car unbearably bumpy on some highways.

Those are kind of my expectations for it, but we'll see what she thinks. Her car and all, but I'm hoping she doesn't like it.

I'm not really pushing her to get a Boxster, more like a Mazdaspeed3. Yes I do this for purely selfish reasons. She likes fun driving, and surprised me on backroads in California, but I think she ultimately cares more about mileage, looks and easy maintenance.

GHG

If this is the only thing she wants and you have to get it then get the turbocharged version or don't bother. They are pure shitboxes. In fact, scrap that don't get the turbo version since they are horribly overpriced.

Get her to look at the VW Scirocco since they are similarly styled cars.

If this is the only thing she wants and you have to get it then get the turbocharged version or don't bother. They are pure shitboxes. In fact, scrap that don't get the turbo version since they are horribly overpriced.

Get her to look at the VW Scirocco since they are similarly styled cars.

Not sold in America. :/

SpecX

Any Chevy Volt owners around here? The local dealer just listed a used 2015 model, 60k miles on it and is willing to sell it to me for $13k. I checked the carfax and it's had 2 owners, no reported accidents, and when I went to look at it, it looks like everything is in good shape. There are no blemishes to the paint and it looks like it's the premium package with leather seats and navigation.

I've been on the fence for one of these cars, but cannot stomach paying $30k+ for a new one. Thinking about getting this as a daily commuter car since I do a 20 mile round trip commute for work, so I would literally never have to buy gas for the car. I've looked and don't see many issues reported and living in California, it would still have the 10 year/150k mile battery warranty.

Short and simple, is it worth it? Planning a test drive today at lunch to make sure everything runs smooth and would like to take it to a mechanic to inspect.

Any Chevy Volt owners around here? The local dealer just listed a used 2015 model, 60k miles on it and is willing to sell it to me for $13k. I checked the carfax and it's had 2 owners, no reported accidents, and when I went to look at it, it looks like everything is in good shape. There are no blemishes to the paint and it looks like it's the premium package with leather seats and navigation.

I've been on the fence for one of these cars, but cannot stomach paying $30k+ for a new one. Thinking about getting this as a daily commuter car since I do a 20 mile round trip commute for work, so I would literally never have to buy gas for the car. I've looked and don't see many issues reported and living in California, it would still have the 10 year/150k mile battery warranty.

Short and simple, is it worth it? Planning a test drive today at lunch to make sure everything runs smooth and would like to take it to a mechanic to inspect.

60k in less ~2.5 years (possibly less). I am going to guess it has been an Uber/Lyft car.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I keep having the same recurring thought: Maybe I should have waited and got an Alfa Romeo Giulia.

But then I remember my wife would have simply stared at me until I backed off the ledge.

Cs9wFgC.jpg

Electric cars mileage is really going to be a battery drain test. How much would they cost to replace with new or lightly used ones? Mechanically there will be way less wear and tear on most components than in an equivalent petrol car. But a mechanic can probably give you better advice. Because that price sounds great to me.

SpecX

I keep having the same recurring thought: Maybe I should have waited and got an Alfa Romeo Giulia.

But then I remember my wife would have simply stared at me until I backed off the ledge.

Cs9wFgC.jpg

Electric cars mileage is really going to be a battery drain test. How much would they cost to replace with new or lightly used ones? Mechanically there will be way less wear and tear on most components than in an equivalent petrol car. But a mechanic can probably give you better advice. Because that price sounds great to me.

Thanks, just got back from the dealer doing a test drive. The car runs and drives smooth, very clean inside even with a light color interior, and has some extra features I wasn't expecting. Got the same salesman I worked with before, so I know he's very transparent and was good catching up. Gave them my info and planning to discuss tonight with my wife so I can decide if this is worth pulling the trigger on or not. The dealer is already ok with me taking it to a mechanic for a couple hours, so trying to get something scheduled tomorrow as well so I can be sure before buying.

ascii42

Yeah, I don't think those were updated much since the generation started in 2005, which was not a good era of GM. I forgot about how it showed the selected gear in the DIC instead of at the shifter, I guess because they also offered column shift?
60k in less ~2.5 years (possibly less). I am going to guess it has been an Uber/Lyft car.

Yeah, though I suppose with a car like the Volt, that would be less of a concern.

golem

Thanks, just got back from the dealer doing a test drive. The car runs and drives smooth, very clean inside even with a light color interior, and has some extra features I wasn't expecting. Got the same salesman I worked with before, so I know he's very transparent and was good catching up. Gave them my info and planning to discuss tonight with my wife so I can decide if this is worth pulling the trigger on or not. The dealer is already ok with me taking it to a mechanic for a couple hours, so trying to get something scheduled tomorrow as well so I can be sure before buying.

Whats the pricing like right now?

Also Huracan Performante goes 6:52 at the ring

http://jalopnik.com/lamborghini-rips-nurburgring-production-car-record-into-1792858193

SpecX

http://jalopnik.com/lamborghini-rips-nurburgring-production-car-record-into-1792858193

They have it priced at $14,990, but have agreed to sell it to me for $12,990. I tried to get it lower, but looking at trade in values, there's not much more room to go lower. I am asking to see if we can split the taxes/fees and if not, I want to see if they will throw in an extended warranty or some oil changes. Not trying to be too greedy, but doesn't hurt to ask and see what all i can get.

I just can't give a shit about supercars anymore. They're just too fast now. Oo wow another supercar going so fast I'd never be able to push it to the limit even if I could afford one.

How about working on making turbocharged engines feel more alive? Or electric power steering that actually provides feedback? It just feels like we're moving to a world where we'll be thrown down the road at unbelievable speeds by AI drivers while fondling our dicks and arguing over whose AI car is fastest.

Life is becoming Gran Turismo 5 B-Spec.

golem

They have it priced at $14,990, but have agreed to sell it to me for $12,990. I tried to get it lower, but looking at trade in values, there's not much more room to go lower. I am asking to see if we can split the taxes/fees and if not, I want to see if they will throw in an extended warranty or some oil changes. Not trying to be too greedy, but doesn't hurt to ask and see what all i can get.

Did a Manheim check for you and looks like theyre offering a price right above the auction average estimate so they probably dont have too much more room to work with. Wonder how long its sat on the lot for
Seems like a solid deal if thats the car you want.

No Love

Banned
I just can't give a shit about supercars anymore. They're just too fast now. Oo wow another supercar going so fast I'd never be able to push it to the limit even if I could afford one.

How about working on making turbocharged engines feel more alive? Or electric power steering that actually provides feedback? It just feels like we're moving to a world where we'll be thrown down the road at unbelievable speeds by AI drivers while fondling our dicks and arguing over whose AI car is fastest.

Good thing I have BMW's 4 door Ferrari. Mkenyon where you at 😁

Downsizing to a 335i and having a vacuum cleaner engine is going to be so much less interesting to hear and experience on a daily. Had an older '04 GLI rev at me in the Disney parking structure today... Sounded like a straight up Hoover.

Speaking of vacuum cleaners... A family member is selling me an '05 Prius for $1000. Gonna be my MPG superbeater. No more spending $700-800/month in gas...

golem

Porsche has an excellent electric power steering setup and I've never thought that turbocharged cars were boring, just a different type of experience. I agree that fast cars currently seem more oriented to providing the best numbers versus the best driving experience but those driver's cars are out there if you look for them.

Also I think the typical sports car is pretty damn good nowadays so journalists and enthusiasts will have to find that last 1/10th of the experience to complain about to make headlines. Is a modern Audi really a bad driving experience because some car journalist says it has numb steering and some dialed in understeer? Is a GT-R really like driving autopilot because of its computer systems and weight? I'd argue no.

SpecX

Did a Manheim check for you and looks like theyre offering a price right above the auction average estimate so they probably dont have too much more room to work with. Wonder how long its sat on the lot for

Seems like a solid deal if thats the car you want.

Wow, that's awesome! When we spoke today he said they just got it in the 2nd week of February, so not too long if he's being honest. I'm just hoping it doesn't sell by tomorrow, but the sales manager did say he would put it in the back so it would be out of sight for people walking through. Still wouldn't stop someone from looking up the inventory and requesting it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Sorry dave, but that sounds pretty rad

boltz

Personally, the current gen Volt is such a big improvement over the previous gen that I wouldn't consider a last gen one. But if you don't want to pay that much and can't wait, then you don't really have much choice.

Speaking of vacuum cleaners... A family member is selling me an '05 Prius for $1000. Gonna be my MPG superbeater. No more spending $700-800/month in gas...

Welp, that's a lotta gas...

Top Bottom