• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Hesemonni

Banned
A colleague of mine in another country has an RS6 Avant. Why can't we have nice things in the US?
Oh just you wait when Trump starts pushing an import tax on everything. He'll even tax your current Audi retroactively.

Then you'll truly start missing the nice things you can't have :p

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Upgrade your diverter valve to a Tial and get something like an FP Black turbo. You'll be at 450-480 whp on 91 with amazing spool and badass midrange and top end.

That sounds like a lot of fun but I imagine wouldn't fit my requirement for a safe/lasting build. Perhaps the green?

No Love

Banned
That sounds like a lot of fun but I imagine wouldn't fit my requirement for a safe/lasting build. Perhaps the green?

A turbo that spools slower and makes power higher up in the RPM range is safer and longer lasting than a turbo that spools quickly down low.

Highlight of today's Cars and Coffee:

Watching these two racecars getting put inside a trailer:

Will post the video soon.

Yes, I was getting antsy when they were raising the bed lolol.

Viper is on sale btw for a cool $365,000.

J-Rzez

Ok, the itch is real. I have the seed planted firmly in my head that it's time for more power in the evo x once again. Currently have a tuned set up with the following bolt ons: drop in air filter, high flow cat and exhaust, 3 port boost solenoid, and upper intercooler piping producing 330hp/330tq on 91 octane fuel (e85 is not an option). Any thoughts on where I could go next for a daily, or should I just stop here?

91 Oct hurts. You're at the point of no return though unfortunately. You're looking at upgrading your intercooler, turbo (fp white, red, black), cams, arp headstuds, fuel pump, and a tune for all that. A shame you have to deal with that garbage gas. If you had E85, you'd be able to run a E30 blend and pick up some power alone from that.

Congrats on the car GHG.

TFGB

All of this is amazing! really neat! I was looking for some kind of rim sealant.

Do you or anyone in this thread have a good rim sealant/something to help reduce the buildup of brake dust lol?

Cheers @Agent AA1! Sorry for the late reply.

I use FinishKare 1000P to seal my wheels. It's quite well regarded and is one of the better value options on the market. I did try Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour on my OZs on the Mini, and whereas many others seem to rave about it, I had the opposite experience as it seemed go attract the friggin' brake dust!!

The FK1000P also makes a great all over wax too!

GHG

How much would one expect to spend on getting Xpel done on their car?

The quotes I'm getting out here are eyewateringly expensive. Like 5-6k USD. Doesn't help that only 2 places in the whole country do it... I think I need alternatives.

Most places do the 3M stuff but I hear that's shite?

I already have a stone chip, I need to get this sorted ASAP :(

The quotes I'm getting out here are eyewateringly expensive. Like 5-6k USD. Doesn't help that only 2 places in the whole country do it... I think I need alternatives.

Or you could just raw dog that shit. It's just paint :p

golem

A colleague of mine in another country has an RS6 Avant. Why can't we have nice things in the US?

Ive seriously considered ways to sneak in a RS6 Avant through Mexico lol. I believe some guy in Arizona has one registered in the states.

I paid pretty much that for a full body custom Suntek + Gyeon Ceramic + Huper Optik tint on all windows (I do mean all haha). There are a lot more installers wanting your business here in SoCal however. I think all PPFs are reasonably similar, just differences in thickness and clarity.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Just the front end (bumper, 1/3 hood, mirrors, and partial fenders)? Should be around 2-2.5K.

I'll be honest, it's one of the reasons I never wrapped previous cars. A lot of shops wanted stupid amounts of money. But nowadays, almost anyone watching YouTube can do it. All you have to do is buy a pre-cut bra, which may not look perfect when sitting on the car, but it's fucking clear! Who's gonna notice? And, some actually do come with a little extra slack to wrap around the edges. YRMV.

Finally finished editing my Cars and Coffee pics. Here's my faves:

Full album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/27432612@N04/sets/72157680939418226

Ive seriously considered ways to sneak in a RS6 Avant through Mexico lol. I believe some guy in Arizona has one registered in the states.

Get the car registered in Mexico and have them drive it over to your location. The car has about a year before it has to go back to Mexico where it has to stay for a day or two in MX before it can cross the border again.

Well at least that's how it was done before, with the Pumpkin in office I'm not sure if this would still work.

Azzurri

Went to look at the Alfa Romeo Giulia QV and it's such a beautiful car inside and out, and looked to good in the dark blue.

Only thing is the finance and leasing options are crap. I think it's better to wait until the end of the year for better deals.

36month 10k miles a year with 5k down is like 1,200 a month. As nice as it is that's just way too much for that car.

paskowitz

Went to look at the Alfa Romeo Giulia QV and it's such a beautiful car inside and out, and looked to good in the dark blue.

Only thing is the finance and leasing options are crap. I think it's better to wait until the end of the year for better deals.

36month 10k miles a year with 5k down is like 1,200 a month. As nice as it is that's just way too much for that car.

Wow that is not great.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yea, thr APR was shitty too. Their best rate was at 36m 2.9% then 1% higher for each year. ending at 6% at 72m

If you have solid credit, I've found I can easily get down to like ~2% just through a credit union.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
D1DFDDBE-39C2-4D2B-B78D-8B363DCABF46.jpg

I like it very much.

kharma45

Stop using your phone when driving. One of many things that really gets to me on the road. I'm glad the fine and penalty points for it have been doubled here.

Anion

While you are at it stop driving on the left lane only going 60 mph only

jkjkjk just teasing

Cheers @Agent AA1! Sorry for the late reply.

I use FinishKare 1000P to seal my wheels. It's quite well regarded and is one of the better value options on the market. I did try Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour on my OZs on the Mini, and whereas many others seem to rave about it, I had the opposite experience as it seemed go attract the friggin' brake dust!!

The FK1000P also makes a great all over wax too!
I'm pretty horrible at responding too lol! Thank you though. I will probably buy Fk1000p for my rims. Need to polish the summer wheels before I mount them next week lol

GHG

Or you could just raw dog that shit. It's just paint :p

I know I know, but it's my first brand new car I want to take care of it the best I can. My wife said if I care this much about a new car it bodes well for when we have children :/

I paid pretty much that for a full body custom Suntek + Gyeon Ceramic + Huper Optik tint on all windows (I do mean all haha). There are a lot more installers wanting your business here in SoCal however. I think all PPFs are reasonably similar, just differences in thickness and clarity.

Nobody does Suntek here yet unfortunately. From reading around there doesn't seem to be much difference between the most popular brands but it's the quality of the instillation that's the most important thing. I saw a couple of other places that do PPF today and noped the fuck out. It's pretty clear why they are so much cheaper.

Just the front end (bumper, 1/3 hood, mirrors, and partial fenders)? Should be around 2-2.5K.

I'll be honest, it's one of the reasons I never wrapped previous cars. A lot of shops wanted stupid amounts of money. But nowadays, almost anyone watching YouTube can do it. All you have to do is buy a pre-cut bra, which may not look perfect when sitting on the car, but it's fucking clear! Who's gonna notice? And, some actually do come with a little extra slack to wrap around the edges. YRMV.

Yeh I've come to the conclusion that a full wrap is excessive so I will get the front done to protect from stone chips along with the doors to help protect from door dings in car parks. Should bring the cost down a bit.

For now I've gone with just the ceramic protection from a company called Protech Monte Carlo. Don't know if they have a branch in the states but they are also in Monaco and Singapore. Did a fantastic job on the car and it shines more now than when I first picked it up.

Will go back to them for tinting and PPF at a later date.

Makki

Any thoughts on the new Type R coming out?

It looks absolutely insane for a US bound model. I love it, but I bet dealers will be scummy as fuck and overcharge, and it will be way too limited in numbers. Probably just like an RS or worse.

Evo X

New 2018 GT3 confirmed 4.0L flat six. 500hp and option for 6 speed manual.

Arriving in US dealers this fall. $140k base MSRP.

Basically a 911R for the masses.

Who's ordering one? :D

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Wow. If things go well for me financially in the next 3-4 years, I will get one of these. 6MT.

Azzurri

Man the McLaren 720S looks good. Way too good.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6TtqLRXMAAaFZV.jpg[/IM]
[IMG]http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6TtqLPWYAAlUSa.jpg[/IM]
[IMG]http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6TtqMVWMAAOlbW.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

My cousin in laws uncle just bought one of these. Close to 500k CDN

Evo X

Visually striking and a beast...

150 lbs. lighter than the 675LT
40 HP more than the 675LT
130 lbs-ft more torque than the 657LT

And that's all with the added comforts that a track-spec lacks. Gonna be a very impressive car I think.

You finally gonna pull the trigger on something?

burgerdog

My god, so many cool cars posted already. Here's another:

Apparently it's using the panamera's twin turbo v6 so it's not going to sound anywhere near as good as the old 4.2 v8. Wonder if they can make it sound as good as the TTRS/RS3.

SliChillax

My god, so many cool cars posted already. Here's another:

Apparently it's using the panamera's twin turbo v6 so it's not going to sound anywhere near as good as the old 4.2 v8. Wonder if they can make it sound as good as the TTRS/RS3.
Looks badass, too bad it'll be typical boring Audi to drive. I never understood why Audi doesn't offer leather wrapped interior like BMW, Alfa or Benz does. I'm talking about the upper and lower dashboard. Those plastics seem kinda cheap. Not even the RS6 or RS7 have leather dashboards, all plastic. It's soft and good plastic but still plastic.

Top Bottom