• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

boltz

Design is a bit over the top for me and that's a lot of money for a FWD car. With that said, I'm expecting it to give the current crop of hot hatches a run for their money performance wise as the power-to-weight ratio should be pretty good and the current Euro Type-R wasn't shabby at all.

At the very least I hope this thing makes everyone else step up their game.

A 25-year-old version of me with disposable income would love it...except that Honda still kept the red trim on the wheels and aero kit.

The 42-year-old version of me (nowadays) would be good with just the Hatchback Sport
(in auto CVT, yo. #realtalk)

2017 RUF CTR

03-2017-ruf-ctr-geneva-1.jpg
That's one dang-happy Porsche.

GHG

Looks badass, too bad it'll be typical boring Audi to drive. I never understood why Audi doesn't offer leather wrapped interior like BMW, Alfa or Benz does. I'm talking about the upper and lower dashboard. Those plastics seem kinda cheap. Not even the RS6 or RS7 have leather dashboards, all plastic. It's soft and good plastic but still plastic.

This is my issue with Audis as well. They are so fucking stingy with the leather, they just don't feel and look as premium as they should do for the price.

Just curious, but how does everyone here feel about the Alpine A110?

The old one? I think its completely awesome.

The new one? I think its cool. I'm a big fan of small lightweight sports cars. Though I think I'd still rather have an alfa romeo 4c, which I would probably actually buy if I had money. Though I doubt the new A110 will even be sold in the US anyway.

boltz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buuC8N9ULt0

Jesus christ the 720s is making me go crazy. It feels like such a breath of fresh air, I love it! I need to see one in amethyst black and I'm sold
in my dreams

ofedkDA.jpg

Damn that car looks so much better in black - I didn't care for all the contrasting carbon fiber parts in the other colors. And the rear end of the car reminds of a Halo 5 Banshee.

Also, the Type R looks much better in red than the gray in the release photos: http://jalopnik.com/the-2018-honda-civic-type-r-is-ridiculous-in-all-the-ri-1793063099

The car is still over the top, but red fits the character of the car better.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Nice! Tell him to bring that bad boy out west ;)

I've been trolling him instead, telling him Lamborghini's Nurburgring times are bullshit (which they are) and that the 720S is infinitely cooler and less douchey.

:)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Driving out to Nara tomorrow to look at (and potentially buy) a white Ferrari 308 GTB, fun times!

Whew. Some money getting dropped in this thread.

Why white? Just what you found or your preferred color?

Futaba

Whew. Some money getting dropped in this thread.

Why white? Just what you found or your preferred color?
Barn find I made a few years back , only seen her ass end, been on at the owner to let her go ever since, finally caved and told me to come down.

Taking toolbox and having a good look around before i make any offers

And really...

tumblr_m4fy2mHRN21qanlclo1_1280.jpg

Who would say no to this?

SpecX

Been about a week driving the Volt and this car has been great so far. Still have the gas from the dealer in the tank and used only 1 gallon so far (weekend joy riding). I've been watching some YouTube videos and learned how to drive it more efficiently now, so I'm getting more mileage out of the charge and taking less time to charge at home overnight.

Ended up getting the front windows tinted to match all the others and ordering some all weather floor mats to try and preserve the light color carpet from the kids. Working on getting some quotes so I can get a 240v outlet in the garage and reduce the charge time and planning on getting solar panels in a few months with the battery so I can leverage that energy source.

I guess I'm an environmentalist or tree hugger now :)

ruxtpin

Banned
Barn find I made a few years back , only seen her ass end, been on at the owner to let her go ever since, finally caved and told me to come down.

And really...

2 old ladies in the back are looking jelly

Azzurri

And really...

If you removed the Benz on the left, you would think the picture was actually taken in the 80's.

golem

I've been trolling him instead, telling him Lamborghini's Nurburgring times are bullshit (which they are) and that the 720S is infinitely cooler and less douchey.

:)
The 720s would be my choice too haha.

Hopefully Sport Auto gets their hands on the Performante

SliChillax

The 720s would be my choice too haha.

Hopefully Sport Auto gets their hands on the Performante
I really understand why someone would go for something like a Huracan instead of a 720s. The 720s is so fresh, it might be too much for some people. The Huracan though is typical fast Lambo, familiar and playing it safe. Also the NA V10 is a gem.

matmanx1

So i found a local NC Miata that I am hoping to go look at on Friday as long as the car has the suspension package with the LSD.

Nice! I am assuming you have done your homework in this regard? Certain trim levels got the suspension bits and the LSD and the LSD only ever came with the 6 speed manual and never with the automatic (but I know you aren't buying an autobox Miata).

My 2008 SE has the LSD but not the suspension and the LSD was definitely on my "had to be there" list. Good luck with the hunt!

it's uh, wow... um

I like it

Haha, I love the THREE exhaust outlets. Because four would just be trying to hard??

Driving out to Nara tomorrow to look at (and potentially buy) a white Ferrari 308 GTB, fun times!

Wait, what?

And really...

/drool Dude. That is only of my dream cars. I grew up on watching Magnum PI with my dad. Good luck and happy barn hunting.

http://jalopnik.com/shop-owner-smashes-the-front-of-a-porsche-911-gt3-rs-in-1792973207

"It's the worst nightmare of car enthusiasts everywhere. A member of the Porsche forum Rennlist left his 2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS at the Bob Hindson Racing shop in Kansas City, Missouri, to have new headers, exhaust and a tune installed, but the shop owner hit a building while out on a drive and totaled the prized Porsche."

235662.png

This is a pretty insane story. Basically some asshole high-end tuner shop owner took an ultra-rare 2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS out hooning and slammed it into a brick building. The worst part is, apparently he was spotted multiple times during that day, all around the city, hooning around (approx. 75+ mph in a 25 mph zone) in the car. Furthermore, the shop owner took this built, tuned, extremely powerful car, and turned off all traction control while hooning. Obviously dumdum could not control it.

123156.png

I've heard of mechanics taking a nice sports car out to hoon for a bit and pickup lunch in it and all that, but taking it out multiple times, throughout the course of a day, seems to be way too much.

Pretty crazy stuff.

Original thread where the car owner posted the story. http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/977386-991-gt3-rs-wrecked-while-at-speed-shop.html

Photos *more posted on jalopnik article*
1234.png

ylgcdykvmjt1ui1rah1p.jpg

Futaba

/drool Dude. That is only of my dream cars. I grew up on watching Magnum PI with my dad. Good luck and happy barn hunting.
Welp, a little back story I guess, (since I predictably can't sleep).

Been through countless cars in the past, in varying degrees of disrepair, from brand new to rotten husks, went through a phase of considering splashing cash on exotics but never pulled the trigger, just something about walking in to a dealership and handing over that amount of cash for something that'll be significantly less valuable the second it leaves the showroom, on the other hand, you end up with a car that increases in value, providing it's left stock and low mileage, neither of which I can deal with, cars are built to be driven.

Somehow through years of fiddling with cars, restoring cars selling cars and never really spending much of my monthly salary, I've amassed enough cash in savings to buy more or less any car in the $1-$800,000 range, but I couldn't do it, not for financial reasons but because it doesn't satisfy an everlasting itch I have to take things apart, so when I look for cars, it's either something I want to modify (as with my 86 and various drift slaves), or something I can strip down to nothing and rebuild from the ground up by hand, preferably something that may have never been road worthy again if I hadn't, and one of those projects was the 308 GTB, I know from the parts I saw that it needs lots of work but I won't know just how much work until I get it pulled out of where it currently languishes, and get under it to check out the floor pan and chassis.

I've enough experience with rebuilds and restorations to know if somethings feasibly savable or if it's too far gone - and in some cases too far gone may just be that if it was repaired it just wouldn't be the same vehicle any more - won't know until I get under it.

I get shit off friends of the family all the time, asking why I drive my beaters or the dd 86 and don't just go out and buy something fancy, and I've tried, many times to explain why I don't, but as they're mostly Japanese, they just don't get it, I think in a large part because Japanese society has, for a long time now, drilled into the general populace that once something is a few years old, or over a certain amount of miles, it's past it's prime and should be replaced, more and more I see people look at vehicles as nothing but a tool that you replace rather than repair, crush or sell rather than continue to use something worn - I have literally heard of people having a minor accident, such as wreaking a door panel after driving too close to a post and either selling or scrapping the vehicle - it's depressing, and for years now I've been telling my wife that once we decide on where we want to live, i'll be building a huge garage and getting myself a bunch of projects to work on - the only saving grace is that she is fully supportive of that desire, so when the time comes I'll be left to my own devices and can sit and peacefully pull apart an old v8 in peace.

In a way I get a little sad at times hanging out in the thread, it's nice to see new cars and the fancy stuff people buy/drive, but I'm aching for someone to come in and post some older stuff they're working on, or even just standard, normal day to day cars that people have wrenched on, so long as they love it, and put time in to it, that's the kinda shit I love.

With that in mind, I'm still waiting for EVO to take me up on my suggestion about 30 pages back to buy something run of the mill and customize/upgrade it :p

Come on folks, let's see you getting your hands dirty!

Smokey

I took my 335 in for oil change at dealership during work since they were closest, and price was about same everywhere else. Had them do multi point inspection for the fuk of it. I know ish needed to be taken care of, these dudes came back with repairs/fixes totaling $12,000

lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

bruh

AlphaSnake

Wish I was in the position to decide between Performante and 720S.

Not a bad problem to have! Lol

Shit, I'm sitting here cursing McLaren for not bringing the 540C to the US. I'd cop that over an F-Type R by scrounging up a few extra dollars.

The old one? I think its completely awesome.

The new one? I think its cool. I'm a big fan of small lightweight sports cars. Though I think I'd still rather have an alfa romeo 4c, which I would probably actually buy if I had money. Though I doubt the new A110 will even be sold in the US anyway.

There doesn't seem to be much fanfare for the new A110 from what I can tell. I never knew about the original A110 until the new one was rumored. I think it looks a little strange, but it makes sense why they kept the look of the old car.

I'm hoping they sell it in the US. I think it'd be a nice competition for the Alfa Romeo 4C and Porsche 718's.

Doesn't Alpine have an agreement or something with Nissan? They could sell it here in the US, right? If not, then I guess the rest of the world is lucky to have the Alpine A110 on their roads.

AlphaSnake

I took my 335 in for oil change at dealership during work since they were closest, and price was about same everywhere else. Had them do multi point inspection for the fuk of it. I know ish needed to be taken care of, these dudes came back with repairs/fixes totaling $12,000

bruh

What in the fuck...I'd love to see the list of shit they suggest replacing.

They probably just saw a high mileage car and got wet.

golem

I've heard of mechanics taking a nice sports car out to hoon for a bit and pickup lunch in it and all that, but taking it out multiple times, throughout the course of a day, seems to be way too much.

Pretty crazy stuff.
Saw that on Rennlist, sucks for the owner but just goes to show that even respected shops arent immune the this kind of idiocy. Heard too many stories of cars getting wrecked or coming back with over revs and such, wish people had more respect for other peoples property

No Love

Banned

bruh

So about 1000-2000 worth of replacements in the real world. Stealership stays stealin 😂

Smokey

What in the fuck...I'd love to see the list of shit they suggest replacing.

They probably just saw a high mileage car and got wet.

I'm still laughing. Here's the list. Feel free to join me

Oil change $110.00

Vehicle is going to need both headlights the wire internally are shorted on both headlight and can’t be repaired $3968.65 parts and labor for both

Oil leaks:

Main oil valve cover is leaking $2437.11

Oil pan gasket leaking $2500.00

Rear diff right rear seal leaking $770.00

Upper radiator hose is deuterated $345.00

Thurst arm bushings are leaking part of the suspension of the vehicle $717.00

Rear rotors and pads $499.99 plus tax

Front rotors and pads $549.95 plus tax

I only did oil change and brakes because my brakes are really really bad and I've put them off for far too long tbh. OK whatever, but everything else go fuck yourself.

AlphaSnake

I'm still laughing. Here's the list. Feel free to join me

I only did oil change and brakes because my brakes are really really bad and I've put them off for far too long tbh. OK whatever, but everything else go fuck yourself.

Hah. The headlights are hilarious. You can buy them soooooo much cheaper than that. Or just have the wiring fixed, which I've seen countless headlight modders do. LMAO. Such bullshit.

Main oil valve cover is leaking $2437.11 - How bad is the leak even? I'd just keep topping the shit off until you sell the car.

Oil pan gasket leaking $2500.00 - See above.

Rear diff right rear seal leaking $770.00 - Hrmm...it's a $20 seal, about 2 hours of labor at most. I'd do this at a private mechanic, just to avoid any damage to the diff.

Upper radiator hose is deuterated $345.00 - These hoses cost nothing. And any decent mechanic can do the job in 1 hour or less. Do this as soon as you can, IMO.

Thurst arm bushings are leaking part of the suspension of the vehicle $717.00 - Bushings are cheap, and fairly easy to replace on the E9x. Bet the E90 forums could make some recommendations for OEM parts on the cheap too.

Smokey

Hah. The headlights are hilarious. You can buy them soooooo much cheaper than that. Or just have the wiring fixed, which I've seen countless headlight modders do. LMAO. Such bullshit.

Main oil valve cover is leaking $2437.11 - How bad is the leak even? I'd just keep topping the shit off until you sell the car.

Oil pan gasket leaking $2500.00 - See above.

Rear diff right rear seal leaking $770.00 - Hrmm...it's a $20 seal, about 2 hours of labor at most. I'd do this at a private mechanic, just to avoid any damage to the diff.

Upper radiator hose is deuterated $345.00 - These hoses cost nothing. And any decent mechanic can do the job in 1 hour or less. Do this as soon as you can, IMO.

Thurst arm bushings are leaking part of the suspension of the vehicle $717.00 - Bushings are cheap, and fairly easy to replace on the E9x. Bet the E90 forums could make some recommendations for OEM parts on the cheap too.

I've been topping off for a while actually, but the oil valve cover is bad enough that that you can smell burning oil outside of the car, and in it when driving. Not all the time, but it's there. From what he was telling me that and the upper radiator hose should be highest priority.

AlphaSnake

I've been topping off for a while actually, but the oil valve cover is bad enough that that you can smell burning oil outside of the car, and in it when driving. Not all the time, but it's there. From what he was telling me that and the upper radiator hose should be highest priority.

Yep, without question. The hose is a priority. If it ruptures, you're fucked and stranded.

Top Bottom