• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Whats the pricing like right now?

Also Huracan Performante goes 6:52 at the ring

http://jalopnik.com/lamborghini-rips-nurburgring-production-car-record-into-1792858193

With the active aero of basically half of the body, the 450lb differential, and no electric motors or kinetic energy systems, it's no surprise that a car like the Performante achieved this. While a lot of people point that the 918 has 887HP, they are quick to forget how it isn't always able to use all of that power, especially on a very long track where it's constantly accelerating and depleting itself, and doesn't have enough area to gain back enough boost. There's probably an 'average horsepower used' metric that we don't know about.

And in fact, this becomes extremely evident as the downfall of the 918 is the straights. If you watch the 'Ring video of the 918 or the 918 Spyder running, you can see both cars don't surpass the 293KPH mark. And you can clearly see in the Spyder video the boost falls off completely and the car starts to slow down dramatically to 280KPH. The Performante, on the other hand, pulls to 305KPH. That's a massive difference, and definitely where it makes up for most of the 5 seconds it has over the Porsche.

Pretty amazing work by Lamborghini.

SpecX

Personally, the current gen Volt is such a big improvement over the previous gen that I wouldn't consider a last gen one. But if you don't want to pay that much and can't wait, then you don't really have much choice.

Welp, that's a lotta gas...
Thought about a new one, but the price and then looking at what the current gen is reselling at only 2-3 years later has pushed me away from getting a new model. I also prefer the looks of the gen 1 models to the gen 2 models.

GHG

Picked her up this afternoon! Quick and dirty phone pics:
wp_20170302_15_52_40_q2udh.jpg

wp_20170302_16_03_12_1puxo.jpg

The temptation to stomp on it was strong to say the least. Its gonna be a looong run in period.

Now im looking for some advice... If I wrap it should I get paint protection first or not bother? If im getting paint protection what should I be looking at?

The temptation to stomp on it was strong to say the least. Its gonna be a looong run in period.

Now im looking for some advice... If I wrap it should I get paint protection first or not bother? If im getting paint protection what should I be looking at?

Nice! How much do you love it?

AlphaSnake

Motor Trend did a full comparo on the Macan GTS and also compared it to the standard S and Turbo model.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsche/macan/2017/2017-porsche-macan-gts-first-test/

I'm actually confused about something...the GTS may be the sportiest, and the Turbo the fastest. But the 1/4 mile times and trap speeds are nearly the same between the S and GTS. And the Turbo isn't as fast as I'd imagine it should be. I'd still get the S and save the money. It's already a perfectly fine handling machine, I don't need to corner carve.

I do love the comparison between the all-season tire equipped car vs. summer. Shows what a MASSIVE difference tires make.

golem

Sweet!

I believe most installers will recommend PPF under the Vinyl because it is easier to apply directly to paint and take off whereas putting/taking off PPF over Vinyl is more difficult. I guess if you don't need the extra layer of protection it isn't really necessary

White&Black

Neo Member
I need some suggestions for a used car that has a very large front seat with a lot of room. I a very big guy 330lb. My budget is 9k. I tried thehyundai sonata 2011 and liked it but I'm open to other cars that meet the requirements.

Cowie

I need some suggestions for a used car that has a very large front seat with a lot of room. I a very big guy 330lb. My budget is 9k. I tried thehyundai sonata 2011 and liked it but I'm open to other cars that meet the requirements.

Fit ends up varying a good bit from person to person and car to car, so online advice will never be as good as getting an opportunity to sit in the car yourself. If you're in the US and happen to live near a CarMax, they often have a sizable selection of used cars on their lot that are generally unlocked. Particularly if you go while they're busy (weekends), you can just stroll out into the lot and try sitting in the cars yourself without a salesperson breathing down your neck the whole time. They mark their cars up some so you may or may not want to buy a car there, but it's a good place to get "Do I fit?" out of the way, speaking from experience.

Anyway if you liked the Hyundai Sonata you might also like the Kia Optima? should be priced similarly.

GHG

Nice! How much do you love it?

Impossible to say, only driven it home so far! Will wait until I have driven her in and can start stepping on it before giving an opinion on it. Having said that, first impressions are good from a cruising around perspective.

First 2 projects for the car will be:

1. Get the exhaust sounding meaner
2. Get it under 13 seconds 1/4 mile and 5 0-60 while trying not to void my warranty.

Sweet!

I believe most installers will recommend PPF under the Vinyl because it is easier to apply directly to paint and take off whereas putting/taking off PPF over Vinyl is more difficult. I guess if you don't need the extra layer of protection it isn't really necessary

Thanks for the tips, makes sense.

SpecX

1 hour away from pulling the trigger on this Volt. My kids cried when I told them I was trading in my old car since I've had it their entire life and they love riding in it. Depending on what they offer for the trade, I might decide to keep it in the family.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Finance nowadays, mostly. He started out in digital advertising, though. Grew the business and then sold it to a fairly prominent company you may have installed on your phone. Now he's just in finance, investing, loaning, and such. Can't really give out the details much. :)

Good for him, that's awesome.

Rented a Mazda 6 on Day Two - couldn't handle the Impala. Such a tremendous upgrade.

The CX-9 is on the shortlist for my wife, hoping to find a new one to rent on a future trip. She's wanting AWD and 3rd row - pretty much her only reqs. Pretty much between a CX-9, Explorer, 4Runner, or Tahoe/Yukon.

I lean toward the 4Runner since we go out to Colorado and Arizona somewhat regularly and it could actually handle the trails... but I feel like they're really expensive for what you get (that offroad capability has to charge you somewhere, tho).

matmanx1

Looking good man! Congrats!

Motor Trend did a full comparo on the Macan GTS and also compared it to the standard S and Turbo model.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsche/macan/2017/2017-porsche-macan-gts-first-test/

I'm actually confused about something...the GTS may be the sportiest, and the Turbo the fastest. But the 1/4 mile times and trap speeds are nearly the same between the S and GTS. And the Turbo isn't as fast as I'd imagine it should be. I'd still get the S and save the money. It's already a perfectly fine handling machine, I don't need to corner carve.

I do love the comparison between the all-season tire equipped car vs. summer. Shows what a MASSIVE difference tires make.

The GTS only has 20 more HP than the S. The reason to go with the GTS (as in all things Porsche) is that you get all (or most) of the good performance options for less than if you spec'ed them all yourself on an S model. Oh and you get some unique trim if that's your thing.

My co-worker is also a very big guy and he did a bunch of shopping last year and ended up with a gently used Nissan Versa Note for less than 11k. It's a gas saver and economy minded by it actually has a ton of interior space and is fairly comfortable. Depending on your requirements you might want to at least sit in one.

AlphaSnake

Paddle shifters:

Steering wheel mounted or column mounted?

Column mounted, I think. My M56S had GT-R paddles column mounted and you always knew where they were.

The XKR has wheel mounted, and you'd have to cross your hands to go from 1st to 2nd if you're turning from a light, let's say.

But there are advantages to both. On a track, where you'll never be in 1st, and will likely never need to cross your hands, wheel mounted might be preferable so that you never take your hands off the wheel. But that also depends on which track...

It's probably a debate that'll never go away.

No Love

Banned

What makes no sense to me is that with all seasons it trapped 99.x and with summer tires it trapped 102.x and was faster in the 1/4.

Also, a $70-90k 100-103 mph trap car? Lol... Pretty lame straight line performance. Needs tune + E85 badly.

Column mounted, I think. My M56S had GT-R paddles column mounted and you always knew where they were.

The XKR has wheel mounted, and you'd have to cross your hands to go from 1st to 2nd if you're turning from a light, let's say.

But there are advantages to both. On a track, where you'll never be in 1st, and will likely never need to cross your hands, wheel mounted might be preferable so that you never take your hands off the wheel. But that also depends on which track...

It's probably a debate that'll never go away.

yeh for me its the opposite. trying to upshift coming out of a turn with the wheel still not straight had me searching for the paddle too often to the point where its useless for me.

SpecX

Volt acquired! Got the dealer to fill it up with both gas and electric before I picked it up, added an extended bumper to bumper warranty and ready to become an environmentalist.

Quick photo in the garage

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ok, the itch is real. I have the seed planted firmly in my head that it's time for more power in the evo x once again. Currently have a tuned set up with the following bolt ons: drop in air filter, high flow cat and exhaust, 3 port boost solenoid, and upper intercooler piping producing 330hp/330tq on 91 octane fuel (e85 is not an option). Any thoughts on where I could go next for a daily, or should I just stop here?

AlphaSnake

What makes no sense to me is that with all seasons it trapped 99.x and with summer tires it trapped 102.x and was faster in the 1/4.

Also, a $70-90k 100-103 mph trap car? Lol... Pretty lame straight line performance. Needs tune + E85 badly.

It does make sense, I've seen it before. More grip = more ability to pick up speed, especially from a dig where instant traction is crucial. Remember, this is with a 5-ft roll out, so trap speeds with sticky tires will go up, because the car passed its first 5-ft at a higher speed than it did with all-season tires, thanks to the traction advantage and lack of any wheel spin.

matmanx1

From what I hear, Porsche left quite a bit on the table in terms of untapped power. The Cobb tunes are netting pretty large gains with just a tune and either 91 or 93 octane fuel. Matt Farah's OneTake from a few weeks ago where he drove his friend's Macan S discussed exactly that subject. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV8KNAPcl44&list=PL0NpLqqFBFSJmX9clrkdyQwmPl_9tPrPY&index=15

And as for the reason I would get a GTS over an S or Turbo? From the MT article: "Although the GTS isn't the quickest of Macans, it certainly feels the sportiest. It's pricing is also a bit easier to swallow than the $77,050 Macan Turbo, which you'd need to fit with nearly $6,000 in performance options to match the Macan GTS' stock handling prowess at $68,250."

Ok, the itch is real. I have the seed planted firmly in my head that it's time for more power in the evo x once again. Currently have a tuned set up with the following bolt ons: drop in air filter, high flow cat and exhaust, 3 port boost solenoid, and upper intercooler piping producing 330hp/330tq on 91 octane fuel (e85 is not an option). Any thoughts on where I could go next for a daily, or should I just stop here?

I dint know evos that well but in general i would think a bigger intake, a bigger turbo, or spraying methanol.

SpecX

Excellent! I hope it treats you well. What kinda range you figure it gets on electric power?

The car estimates 42 mile range on electric, but I've searched some Volt forums and found out you can get close to 52 miles. GM increased the battery capacity on the 15 models and didn't file to update the range numbers, so documentation only claims 42 when it really has a bit more.

Planning on getting the front windows tinted this weekend to match the rest of the windows and having the guy that details our Jeep come buff out some of the swirls in the paint. Other than that, the car is super clean and run great.

GHG

Any opinions on Xpel ultimate? I'm going to phone a couple of places that do it here in Dubai tomorrow to get quotes but what to know if anybody here has any experience with it?

Edit: And I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has opinions on Xpel stealth over gloss paint?

Ordered some more parts for my Mazdaspeed 6. Have a full turbo back exhaust from Corksport and a turbo inlet hose coming in a couple of weeks. Along with my upgraded intercooler, fuel pump, intake and BPV, I should be hitting some respectable numbers.

Can't WAIT for my exhaust. So fuckin stoked.

AlphaSnake

Any opinions on Xpel ultimate? I'm going to phone a couple of places that do it here in Dubai tomorrow to get quotes but what to know if anybody here has any experience with it?

Edit: And I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has opinions on Xpel stealth over gloss paint?

I have Xpel Ultimate on my XKR. It's fantastic. Cleans easy, has a 10 year warranty against peeling, yellowing, and such. Get it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Dealership question for you all:

My car's tags have arrived at the dealer, and they're telling me there's a balance due of $213; a result of the $1,000 "estimated" amount I paid when I picked it up turning out to be $213 short.

Ultimately - I don't really care about $200, but money is money, and I just think it's ... I dunno.. odd? I mean, shouldn't they be more accurate than that? Seems like it was a tactic to make the amount due on Day One seem less not to scare me away, and then three weeks later saying "oh, hey... it's actually more."

Totally normal or a crappy tactic? I've never leased before, so just curious.

My car's tags have arrived at the dealer, and they're telling me there's a balance due of $213; a result of the $1,000 "estimated" amount I paid when I picked it up turning out to be $213 short.

Ultimately - I don't really care about $200, but money is money, and I just think it's ... I dunno.. odd? I mean, shouldn't they be more accurate than that? Seems like it was a tactic to make the amount due on Day One seem less not to scare me away, and then three weeks later saying "oh, hey... it's actually more."

Does the signed contract say estimated amount or amount? Ask them to point out where the difference between estimate and final cost is your responsibility.

And yes, things like this are a frequent tactic used to get a bit more money.

No Love

Banned
It does make sense, I've seen it before. More grip = more ability to pick up speed, especially from a dig where instant traction is crucial. Remember, this is with a 5-ft roll out, so trap speeds with sticky tires will go up, because the car passed its first 5-ft at a higher speed than it did with all-season tires, thanks to the traction advantage and lack of any wheel spin.

Usually if your tires spin more and you don't hook as fast, your trap speed goes up. It must be because of the 5 ft rollout.

No Love

Banned
100 miles range here I come

The worst I ever got was 170 miles out on a tank on my Evo. 250 was avg. It's not that bad if you do an E30-E50 blend.

From what I hear, Porsche left quite a bit on the table in terms of untapped power. The Cobb tunes are netting pretty large gains with just a tune and either 91 or 93 octane fuel. Matt Farah's OneTake from a few weeks ago where he drove his friend's Macan S discussed exactly that subject. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV8KNAPcl44&list=PL0NpLqqFBFSJmX9clrkdyQwmPl_9tPrPY&index=15

And as for the reason I would get a GTS over an S or Turbo? From the MT article: "Although the GTS isn’t the quickest of Macans, it certainly feels the sportiest. It’s pricing is also a bit easier to swallow than the $77,050 Macan Turbo, which you’d need to fit with nearly $6,000 in performance options to match the Macan GTS’ stock handling prowess at $68,250."

Wonder how Porsche would feel about me adding another 150 whp... 🤔

golem

You should be able to find a calculator and listing of fees for your state's registration procedure online

Xdye7

Hard question to answer, since we don't know what sort of specific improvement(s) you're looking for, what you value, what you're willing to give up, and what you're looking to spend.

You have a solid, simple setup as is. Modding further can be a slippery slope if you don't know what your goal is.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Hard question to answer, since we don't know what sort of specific improvement(s) you're looking for, what you value, what you're willing to give up, and what you're looking to spend.

You have a solid, simple setup as is. Modding further can be a slippery slope if you don't know what your goal is.

More power without compromising the engine or components. I want the car to last. Noise pr comfort arent a big deal. Cost is always a factor too, and I already know I've taken care of the mods that get you your best bang for your buck. Kind of just looking into options. Cams and valve springs? Bigger turbo? What sort of other components would need to be upgraded to compliment either or both of these? Fuel system? IC? Downpipe? Open air? Blow off diverter?

I'll be talking with my tuner but curious if any previous evo x guys had some suggestions. Perhaps to point me in the right direction for further research (I'm a noob)

AlphaSnake

Happened to me before. Some dealers estimate the cost of registrations and plates, some don't. I've once had money reimbursed and once had to owe. It's a DMV thing, it seems. Does your state increase the cost of registration per the weight of the vehicle like in New York?

boltz

More power without compromising the engine or components. I want the car to last. Noise pr comfort arent a big deal. Cost is always a factor too, and I already know I've taken care of the mods that get you your best bang for your buck. Kind of just looking into options. Cams and valve springs? Bigger turbo? What sort of other components would need to be upgraded to compliment either or both of these? Fuel system? IC? Downpipe? Open air? Blow off diverter?

I'll be talking with my tuner but curious if any previous evo x guys had some suggestions. Perhaps to point me in the right direction for further research (I'm a noob)

I have pretty much the same mods as you except I still have the stock cat (don't want to deal with more emissions and noise). It seems like a lot of folks go for E85/bigger turbo after full bolt ons. Go to evoxforums.com or evolutionm.net and take a look at their dyno section of their forums to get a good idea of how much power people are getting from various setups.

On another topic, what the heck is "Clean Culture" supposed to be about? I've started seeing those videos pop up in my Youtube recommendations and watched a couple and it basically looks like stance dudes. The name made me initially think that it was about tastefully/minimally modded cars, but I guess clean means something else to other folks?

Xdye7

I can give a more detailed response later but yes consult your tuner and just search the web. Look into the MHI stock frame turbo and supporting mods. You could add it to your current setup with just a fuel pump, injectors, and a 3" turbo inlet pipe I believe. It's obviously better with a downpipe, intercooler, cams, full intake, upgraded dv, etc. Suitable for the stock block with a good tune and torque in check even on e85 so you're not pushing the limits by any means especially on 91 octane, but as always there's a trade off between reliability/longevity and power.

You should be able to find info on your standard evo forums (evolutionm, socalevo, etc) and definitely check out boostedforums.net as well

GHG

I have Xpel Ultimate on my XKR. It's fantastic. Cleans easy, has a 10 year warranty against peeling, yellowing, and such. Get it.

Good to hear. Now I just need to decide between stealth for the satin look or standard.
And find out how much they cost...

Find out exactly what it's for. When I picked up my charger the other day I had to pay roughly 290 USD but that figure was already stated on my invoice as "balance due from customer" after I paid for the car.

No Love

Banned

Upgrade your diverter valve to a Tial and get something like an FP Black turbo. You'll be at 450-480 whp on 91 with amazing spool and badass midrange and top end.

are 2008-2010s Porsche Caymans reliable?
And do they have a 6 cylinder natural aspirated engine?

They are and they have.

As for reliability, I think it was around '08 somewhere that Porsche moved away from the IMS design entirely. You should check to make sure though. But that was by far the biggest problem the first set of liquid cooled Porsche models had before then.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Finally a fast wagon in America that doesnt result in the purchase of a Mercedes lol

Love this angle

uj6mwhmans4ynsrnuhbl.jpg

On the one hand, I want this. On the other had, I don't think 650hp is going to be enough for my 30mph commute.

A colleague of mine in another country has an RS6 Avant. Why can't we have nice things in the US?

Top Bottom