• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Rage of Bahamut;Genesis ep.6
Ok, Favaro is a douche again. I should have known better than to think he could be a nice guy and help her out. Also, you guys were right: the story is getting a little weird, but it's still enjoyable.

Kuromukuro 20

Things are now swiftly moving towards their climax. We're starting to get some real revelations, albeit also one new mystery (what's with the disembodied head?), and the conflict with the Elfidolgs is really coming to a head. The animation was notably good. Besides some neat action and running cuts, I liked the bit of animation with Muetta/Yukihime entering the ship and Yukina leaving it, where it showed the gradual increase or decease in gravity. Could have done without the throwaway breast size joke, but oh well. I like so much of what this show does that those kind of "animeisms" grate on me more here than they would in a trashier show.

Sound Euphonium 2: 7-9
Man, all these awesome production values in the service of these unbearable melodrama.

Pretty much.

Narag

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 1
qR6PkpJl.png

Floored by the rarest of anime one-two punches that is immaculate characterization and properly earned drama.

ibyea

Banned
Sound Euphonium 2: 10
At least they closed off Kumiko's conflict with her sister all right. In contrast they absolutely overdid it with Asuka, while at the same time ending up quiet underwhelming. I mean Christ, I have a hard time believing Asuka would give up that easily before showing the exam results, which ended up being amazing anyways. And while I see what they were trying to do with her sister's situation being in parallel with Asuka's situation and driving Kumiko to take action, I do wish that experience Kumiko had somehow translated to her having actual arguments to give to Asuka because I have a hard time believing that is what got through her shell. Which by the way, Asuka is just the worst, with her psycho manipulative bullshit.

Clov

Freakin' DTL and has Glassip love affair. I almost want to do a Let's Watch for it, so we can all suffer through an expedition of just how horrible it is, lol. It can't be that bad, can it..

Don't do this, you'll regret it. That show isn't the funny kind of bad, it's the mind-numbingly boring kind of bad.

KraytarJ

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 1

Floored by the rarest of anime one-two punches that is immaculate characterization and properly earned drama.
I just finished the series yesterday and it's great. Some of the best characters and most appropriate and earned drama of anything I've seen in a while.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This month I'm planning on finishing Sailor Moon R and then some other shows I've been mulling over the past few weeks. Namely Technolyze, Sword of the Stranger, and ruining my life by watching E7 AO.

Christmas and New Year's fatigue, alongside with the fact that I had just watched the excellent Akira left me wondering what else I could do to spend the day off. I didn't want to watch anymore anime, nor was I in the mood for frenetic action in Titanfall 2.

I looked on my shelf and saw a little gem that I had put 39hrs into, but had to put a break on almost 2 months ago for whatever reason. Ladies and gentlemen I picked Trails of Cold Steel 2 back up from where I left off and have made it to the final chapter after spending Rean's evening with
Laura
. In my mind there was no better choice and I will not allow that anyone says otherwise.

The clash of the ages will be happening sometime in the next few days. Will this make it to the top of my AOTY GOTY list?

ibyea

Banned
Sound Euphonium 2: 11
I have a sufficiency, although not necessary, condition on when declaring that a drama is garbage or not, which is when a serious drama makes you laugh unintentionally. And this happened in this episode.

"You might think I am awful for saying this, but he doesn't have a wife anymore."

(If someone is thinking that, it is because you are awful, Kumiko you piece of shit!)

Holy shit, that was hilarious, and they were treating it like it was serious business. And like god, Reina asking those awkward questions to Taki, it's just like what the fuck. While I may have been critical of other episodes, at least there were aspects that I liked. This is the one episode of this show I consider to be truly terrible.

ibyea

Banned
Sound Euphonium 2: 12
I suffered through all the bullshit because I was looking forward to this, but instead they deny me the best part of the show. I feel extremely deflated right now.

Sound Euphonium 2: 12
I suffered through all the bullshit because I was looking forward to this, but instead they deny me the best part of the show. I feel extremely deflated right now.

Episode 12 is a real bummer in that regard, but Episode 13 makes up for it in my mind.

Jex

This month I'm planning on finishing Sailor Moon R and then some other shows I've been mulling over the past few weeks. Namely Technolyze, Sword of the Stranger, and ruining my life by watching E7 AO.

Starting the year off with a bang is clearly a great idea.

Just T

Poco's Udon World: 6

Hiroshi was doing a bit too much this episode, he came around but still. Also thought Poco was too far from home at first when he got sick but guess not.

ibyea

Banned
Sound Euphonium 2: 13, end
Why would anyone make Yuko president after the bullshit she pulled last season.

Anyways, the epilogue is fine, and they made up for last episode a little bit. I can't help but think the whole show is a missed opportunity for various reasons. And the ending makes me think the show should have put way more focus on Kumiko and Asuka's frienemyship (not that their short attempt at doing so this season was that good, oh well), which would have made the show's final scene much more poetic, rather than the focus on Kumiko and Reina's friendship.

ibyea

Banned
It'd literally have just been a repeat of episode 5.

Which is why they didn't do it, because it would've been a waste of time.

When you say it like that, I guess you are right. But the anti climatic nature of the show is still a problem and I wonder how they could have fixed that.

ibyea

Banned
ReLife: 3
No way he can be that badly out of shape, and I know they mainly played it for laughs, but 27 years old is not that freaking old!

Jex

[Fate/Grand Order]

If Fate/Zero was an A-tier studio adapting B-tier material, than Fate/Grand Order is a C-tier studio adapting D-tier material. Or, in other words, this is the director of Gosick, working at a studio you've never heard of, adapting the story a mobile game. Taking into account everything I've just said, I don't think there's much to be gained from criticising a work which no-one had high expectations for. That said, there's still a handful of issues that I think need to be raised, even judging this anime by it's own low-standards.

The first thing that struck me about this work was the sheer laziness of the direction. It felt as if every single scene was staged in the dullest, most thoughtless way possible. There is nothing conveyed by the cinematography, which is to say that there is no attempt made to create visually interesting shots. Generally all the characters are just arranged on straight lines, and the scenes are often shot at a flat angle with no depth. It's simple case of pointing the camera towards whatever needs to appear on screen:

The writing is sub Fate/Stay Night-tier. I couldn't have imagined that this would star a blander protagonist than Shiro, but here we have a character who is literally a cipher that's no agency, no desire, no motivation, no traits. Hollow. As you'd imagine, he has some fantastic dialogue:

Does she look okay to you, mate? She's been crushed to death by rubble. I find it hard to believe that she's alive, so your comments are bizarre at best.

So if this is shot poorly, the characters are thin and the dialogue is terrible, than what is the appeal? Well, this is fanservice for Fate fans, featuring some "what if" scenarios that will no doubt tickle their interests. I mean, I'm sure everyone has been dying to know "What if Lancer was actually a Caster?" - riveting stuff.

If this is just an excuse to watch your favourite Fate characters duke it out, then at the very least you'd expect the action to be good because this show has literally nothing else to work with. Unfortunately, Grand Order fails to deliver even on this most basic of elements. I understand some people have said that "well, at least the action was decent" but I think this isn't true at all. Can you explain what makes these action sequences "good"? Are they creatively shot? Well animated? Is the choreography interesting? Are their any stakes? Are they surprising? The answer to all of these is - not at all. They're as flat and dull as the rest of the production. Sometimes the show threatens to have a well animated scene, such as this one, but even that piece of animations looks unfinished, as if some of the in betweens haven't been completed.

What a waste of time.

BluWacky

[Fate/Grand Order]
The writing is sub Fate/Stay Night-tier. I couldn't have imagined that this would star a blander protagonist than Shiro, but here we have a character who is literally a cipher that's no agency, no desire, no motivation, no traits.

While such protagonists are obviously supposed to be blank - because they would have no dialogue in the game they come from and are therefore audience inserts etc. - it does surprise me how often this happens. Is the impulse for many audience members to self-insert into the narrative that strong? Protagonists seem to be very difficult to make interesting in general for these sorts of stories, these days...

ibyea

Banned
ReLife: 4-5
With these episodes, I finally believe in this show. They finally make Kaizaki's experience as an adult matter other than as a way to make him a laughingstock, and have a nice two parter that connects topics of communication, bullying, and the stress of work being built into one's view of self worth (or something like that).

Aiii

So not worth it
You know what's really good? Spotify's Release Radar.

Based on my listening habbits, it succesfully anticipated I would enjoy this song:
screenshot2017-01-02avoszg.png

Which, aside from being the best combination of song name, artist, and album I've ever seen, is also the excellent current OP song from Twin Star Exorcists.

I assume it knew this because I've been listening to Rin! Rin! Hi! Hi! (Nanbaka's OP) a lot, but still, that is some excellent anticipation.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
It's difficult to name some in the same vein as Yuasa's Ping Pong but these might interest you:
Planetes
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Beck
Kokoro Connect
Hibike Euphonium
Oregairu
ReLIFE

not necessarily in any order but I recommend Rakugo out of that list before the others

Seen and liked Planetes, seen and tolerated Kokoro Connect and seen and did not like Oregairu.

I guess I'll try Rakugo.

You know what's really good? Spotify's Release Radar.

Based on my listening habbits, it succesfully anticipated I would enjoy this song:
screenshot2017-01-02avoszg.png

Which, aside from being the best combination of song name, artist, and album I've ever seen, is also the excellent current OP song from Twin Star Exorcists.

I assume it knew this because I've been listening to Rin! Rin! Hi! Hi! (Nanbaka's OP) a lot, but still, that is some excellent anticipation.

lol is amazing their Christmas song last year was great and both their heartbeat and pop that are some of my favorite op songs.

ibyea

Banned
ReLife: 6-7
Nice to see more of Ryo's side of thing. Certainly breaks down my perception that he is just an annoying dude in the sidelines.

ReLife: 4-5
With these episodes, I finally believe in this show. They finally make Kaizaki's experience as an adult matter other than as a way to make him a laughingstock, and have a nice two parter that connects topics of communication, bullying, and the stress of work being built into one's view of self worth (or something like that).

His backstory and how that affects him psychologically is perhaps the best part of the show (besides the excellent music throughout). The way it seriously engages with major problems in Japan's present working culture took me off guard for what on the surface seems like an escapist romcom.

phaze

PV for the 2017 AOTY With whole 2 seconds of actual footage !

---

Scorching Ping Pong Girls 01

I thought these were shorts. Also 2moe4me.

Occultic;Nine 02

There is clearly an effort and talent put into this and it's not often that we get a horrory thriller kind of thing in anime, so this makes me want to persevere but at the same time, I hear the ending sucks and the writing still left me singularly disengaged, though I guess me remembering nothing from the first ep is partly to blame. Decisions, decisions ...

Jex

While such protagonists are obviously supposed to be blank - because they would have no dialogue in the game they come from and are therefore audience inserts etc. - it does surprise me how often this happens. Is the impulse for many audience members to self-insert into the narrative that strong? Protagonists seem to be very difficult to make interesting in general for these sorts of stories, these days...
The problem is that such "blank-slate" characters cannot be translated into any other kind of narrative medium. If you're adapting such a work its really on you as a creator to develop these characters.

In the case of Grand Order, I feel like their approach was fundamentally flawed. This entire project is nothing but fanservice for Fate fans, right? Yet its largely marred by the same dour, self-seriois tone that infects the franchise. I feel like something like Gundam Build Fighters illustrates a far better approach to the same idea. Embrace and enhancen the sillier and more entertaining parts of your material, makes your characters over the top and lively, fill the anime with cool fights that are actually interesting. Simple.

Qurupeke

Hanasaku Iroha 7-9
I felt kind of bad for Ko, but it's not like he had a chance. Still, doing such a long trip, getting ignored and then leaving just like that. Fortunately, it seems like he is moving on with his life.

PS: Tomoe is secretly the best.

The problem is that such "blank-slate" characters cannot be translated into any other kind of narrative medium. If you're adapting such a work its really on you as a creator to develop these characters.

In the case of Grand Order, I feel like their approach was fundamentally flawed. This entire project is nothing but fanservice for Fate fans, right? Yet its largely marred by the same dour, self-seriois tone that infects the franchise. I feel like something like Gundam Build Fighters illustrates a far better approach to the same idea. Embrace and enhancen the sillier and more entertaining parts of your material, makes your characters over the top and lively, fill the anime with cool fights that are actually interesting. Simple.
I guess you missed the Carrnival Phantasm series.

It has literally already been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvbaM-URygs

Jarmel

Banned
We get all this new Fate material but we don't get a Carnival Phantasm Season 2. Life is like having constant Lancer luck.

Occultic;Nine 02

There is clearly an effort and talent put into this and it's not often that we get a horrory thriller kind of thing in anime, so this makes me want to persevere but at the same time, I hear the ending sucks and the writing still left me singularly disengaged, though I guess me remembering nothing from the first ep is partly to blame. Decisions, decisions ...

The ending was perfectly fine, just a open ended a little. I say watch it, O;9 is sooo worth it. One of my top 10 anime of the year.

Hellraider

Yeah, that's pretty much what I expected from the Grand Order anime. I'm not wasting any of my time on it.Extra at the very least on the anime side looks quite hopeful, but I have no idea how the original work compares.

This winter season looks like the perfect season for catching up on a couple (hundred) of series I've wanted to watch for some time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom