• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My twitter has 0 far left and 0 alt right anime avatars!

Get better twitters!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
isuper feminist

anime tiddy
thinking.gif

jman2050

It's almost as if a person's hobbies and entertainment in a general sense doesn't necessarily inform their morality or ideological leanings at all

Qurupeke

Hanasaku Iroha 13
L9qRWXQ.jpg

What's next, anime, getting drunk on liquor chocolates?
Best episode. They've mostly been a terrible grandmother and a very terrible mother, but these family moments were so good.

--------

On another note, is "Welcome to the N.H.K." available anywhere legally? I'm thinking of watching that next, though I've heard some not-so-good things. Or maybe another PA Works anime, like Shirobako (finally) or The Eccentric Family.

Hanasaku Iroha 13

Best episode. They've mostly been a terrible grandmother and a very terrible mother, but these family moments were so good.

--------

On another note, is "Welcome to the N.H.K." available anywhere legally? I'm thinking of watching that next, though I've heard some not-so-good things. Or maybe another PA Works anime, like Shirobako (finally) or The Eccentric Family.

presumably from not-so-good people

Cornbread78

Hanasaku Iroha 13

--------

Shirobakka and Eccentric Family are both on Crunchy in NA.

Syrinx

I don't remember when (or really why) I stopped watching Hanasaku Iroha, but I never really hated the grandma that much.

Hellraider

I consider Welcome to the NHK my single favourite anime of all time. It's an outstanding combination of comedy and drama. It's a deep, fun, tragic and crazy social commentary on the hikkikomori and otaku culture from someone that has been one and has an amazing talent of conveying his feelings through his work. I could praise it for hours. Anime is also vastly superior to the manga (they have a couple of differences, major and minor). Haven't read the novel but I really want to sometime.

Shirobako is also excellent. Definitely a must watch.

SuperSah

Banned
Okay so I wanna see Fate/Stay or whatever it's called.

Issue is I have no clue where to start. Any pointers in which series is the first or one to watch?

Hanasaku Iroha 13

--------

NHK is on funi http://www.funimation.com/shows/welcome-to-the-n-h-k

Issue is I have no clue where to start. Any pointers in which series is the first or one to watch?

Fate/Zero > Fate/ stay Night: UBW

Illya Prisma, Fate Grand Order, Carnival Phantasm if you fall in love with the property.
A brief Google seach warns against Fate/Zero first and to see Fate/Stay Night first.

Why?
Well Fate/Stay Night(the visual novel and the terrible DEEN anime) was made before Fate/Zero even though Fate/Zero is the prequel. You don't need to know about the franchise to enjoy Fate/Zero.

Moaradin

A brief Google seach warns against Fate/Zero first and to see Fate/Stay Night first.

Why?

Fate/Zero is technically a prequel to Fate/Stay Night, but Stay Night is in no way required to enjoy F/Z. It stands on it's own for the most part and it's a lot better than Stay Night.

Qurupeke

I consider Welcome to the NHK my single favourite anime of all time. It's an outstanding combination of comedy and drama. It's a deep, fun, tragic and crazy social commentary on the hikkikomori and otaku culture from someone that has been one and has an amazing talent of conveying his feelings through his work. I could praise it for hours. Anime is also vastly superior to the manga (they have a couple of differences, major and minor). Haven't read the novel but I really want to sometime.

Actually, one of those things I remember reading has to do with the different versions of the series and people not liking the anime adaptation very much compared to the source material. Well, that, and how the series can be somewhat disturbing at times.

Sölf

Why?

Fate/Stay night is a visual novel with 3 routes. The Fate Route was adapted years ago as "Fate/Stay Night". After that, many years later, we got the Fate/Zero anime, which is a prequel and much, much better. Then we got the second Fate Route, "Unlimited Blade Works".

Fate/Zero is much better than both Fate shows, but even the old one is not as bad as people make it out, imo.

However, avoid the movies. I never saw them, but it seems there is so much missing that you don't understand much of it if you haven't read the novel before.

Fate/Zero first, then Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. Then from there you have all these other Fate stories that you can check out.

Danj

What the hell is going on???

Walking stuff animal.

School girl with magic ipad.

Oculus Rift???

Giant Kaiju thing

Captain Okita!

the thing I took away from this was wait, in 2020 we are going to be able to do virtual reality on the bus?

Fate/Zero first, then Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. Then from there you have all these other Fate stories that you can check out.

I second this. Fate/Zero is chronologically first, and the UBW anime series is the superior version of the main Fate/Stay Night anime.

Theonik

Code Geass R2 09

I'm no Bobby Fisher, but I smell bullshit.
I mean that was the whole point of the scene. It was a stunt to test zero, would he call out the illegality of that move? Call him a tosser? All valuable lessons!

the thing I took away from this was wait, in 2020 we are going to be able to do virtual reality on the bus?
Hell we can do this now, it all depends on the quality you are willing to put up with. Outside tracking is still a problem.

Actually, one of those things I remember reading has to do with the different versions of the series and people not liking the anime adaptation very much compared to the source material. Well, that, and how the series can be somewhat disturbing at times.

I think some folks are unhappy because the anime is less demented than the novel (and/or manga?) but having only seen the series I think it's quite excellent and I don't really think having it be even more demented would necessarily make it any better. And if it's different that doesn't really matter as long as it can stand as a good show by itself, right? At least that's what we all like to claim about adaptations.

You and your nose fixation.
picturen6p3j.png

*totally doesn't plan to make a post about his other fixation, cheeky-mouths, some time soon*

Ryne

I'm wondering if someone here can help me identify a recent anime movie.

Unfortunately, I'm extremely light on details. All I remember is there was a girl that fought using a staff - it was a recent movie and the animation was very flashy.

I wish I remembered more :(

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Random watch of the day:

White Album 2

I think the term to describe what happened to Setsuna in episode 13 is "rekd". Like, holy shit. She would have been justified going full School Days.

I mean the episode started with her boyfriend having sex with her best friend and ended with her best friend and boyfriend making out in front of her while she cried bitter tears

Cornbread78

Unfortunately, I'm extremely light on details. All I remember is there was a girl that fought using a staff - it was a recent movie and the animation was very flashy.

Did she have any companions?

Random watch of the day:

White Album 2

I think the term to describe what happened to Setsuna in episode 13 is "rekd". Like, holy shit. She would have been justified going full School Days.

Lol, for real.... Loved the show, but I wish they did a movie/OVA to show the full ending from the manga/VN.

phaze

You sure it was a movie ? Moribito had a woman spear fighter with some very good fight sequences.

Ryne

Yes, there was a guy as well who fought as well I guess? Not sure I remember that correctly

You sure it was a movie ?-removed- had a woman spear fighter with some very good fight sequences.

Definitely was a movie, and I watched Moribito and it was amazing.

Edit: if it helps, I think she was a highscool student and it was set in a modern setting. Really hard to remember details because I only seen it at a glance.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Lol, for real.... Loved the show, but I wish they did a movie/OVA to show the full ending from the manga/VN.
In some ways I appreciate they were willing to make it end on full-on NTR and everyone being sad.

Yes, there was a guy as well who fought as well I guess? Not sure I remember that correctly

Edit: if it helps, I think she was a highscool student and it was set in a modern setting. Really hard to remember details because I only seen it at a glance.

Maybe Little witch academia? Beyond the bondary? How recent are we talking here?

Hellraider

If we are talking about the novel I can't help you. It must be one hell of a book if the anime version isn't a perfect adaptation to it in any way!

Series can get pretty disturbing since it's about broken characters with some real issues. The more you invest in them, and the more you sit down and think about them, the more you realize how fucked up they are. You don't have to worry about that, though, because it is also equally comedic. It maintains an excellent balance of being extremely on point but subtle on the serious matters with the addittion of a ton of comical relief.

Moaradin

Maybe Yozakura Quartet? It's not a movie but it's definitely flashy with some great animation.

064b5be58ca2a66563b89271740bd4d8.jpg

image1102s6p.gif

Ryne

Maybe Little witch academia? Beyond the bondary? How recent are we talking here?

Probably past 2-3 years. It's almost definitely a movie and it was animated a little more realistically than those two (and I've seen Beyond so that's not it).

Thanks everyone, I'm scouring google to find this, it's killing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom