• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Well I was going to take some time to watch FGO, but after all the comments I think I'll just read more World of Ice and Fire instead. Uguu~

Qurupeke

Hanasaku Iroha 10-12
7VgTQ0U.png
A lot of suffering and despair for Ohana, this is truly written by Okada. Also, it's funny that Minko seems to have less chemistry with Tohru than Ohana's mother. The ship is just doomed.

Jex

I guess you missed the Carrnival Phantasm series.

It has literally already been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvbaM-URygs

Oh no, I am aware of Carnival Phantasm, but that's not exactly what I meant. I don't purely mean a straight up gag comedy - just something slightly more fun and energetic than the likes of Grand Order, hence the comparison to Gundam Build Fighters. GBF is a both a fun celebration of the franchise and an extremely competent entry in the franchise itself, featuring some of the best battles in all of Gundam.

Andrew J.

In the case of Grand Order, I feel like their approach was fundamentally flawed. This entire project is nothing but fanservice for Fate fans, right? Yet its largely marred by the same dour, self-seriois tone that infects the franchise. I feel like something like Gundam Build Fighters illustrates a far better approach to the same idea. Embrace and enhancen the sillier and more entertaining parts of your material, makes your characters over the top and lively, fill the anime with cool fights that are actually interesting. Simple.

Sounds like Prisma Illya.

Cornbread78

So anyone commute all the way to work this morning just to find out today is a "holiday?"

I could have stayed up last night and played more FFXV.

Hanasaku Iroha 10-12

A lot of suffering and despair for Ohana, this is truly written by Okada. Also, it's funny that Minko seems to have less chemistry with Tohru than Ohana's mother. The ship is just doomed.

You can kinda tell which episodes are written by Okada and which ones are not :p

phaze

[Fate/Grand Order]

Unfortunately, Grand Order fails to deliver even on this most basic of elements. I understand some people have said that "well, at least the action was decent" but I think this isn't true at all. Can you explain what makes these action sequences "good"? Are they creatively shot? Well animated? Is the choreography interesting? Are their any stakes? Are they surprising? The answer to all of these is - not at all. They're as flat and dull as the rest of the production. Sometimes the show threatens to have a well animated scene, such as this one, but even that piece of animations looks unfinished, as if some of the in betweens haven't been completed.

This strikes me as overly harsh. Without elevating GO to something great, things actually moved most of the time and there's plenty of fairly well done effects animation bits. It's at least a step up from plain bad stillfests which I dare say can justify the "decent" moniker

Fate/Grand Order

More proof that Lancer is a bro and a best. Sadly no sighting of that other, female Lancer ? wth

Other than that this was pretty garbage and unduly long. And seeing these characters without Ufotable's production values feels like a slap to the face.

--------------

Looking for recs of 2016 short shows that warrant a watch/check. Got Nobunaga no Shinobi, Luluco, Miss Bernard said, To Be Hero behind my belt.

BluWacky

Nozomi's Twitter said utena BDs this year

How appropriate, in a year that some are predicting will bring the Ultimate Destiny Apocalypse.

It feels like it's only been about five minutes since the DVD release. Worth replacing, though, for this show.

How appropriate, in a year that some are predicting will bring the Ultimate Destiny Apocalypse.

It feels like it's only been about five minutes since the DVD release. Worth replacing, though, for this show.

I still haven't finished rewatching the series on the DVDs I bought. I guess I better hurry up.

duckroll

Lay-duce has really been a disappointment of a studio. As an offshoot of BONES legacy, the expectation is there that some continuation of the culture of animation production would continue, like it does in Kinema Citrus. Unfortunately despite being founded by an ex-BONES producer and being able to draw from the same talent pool BONES does, the works thus far quite honestly suck. That Sinbad spinoff for Magi was just a sin, and bad to boot. Sad!

e_i

So Hidan no Aria AA is getting a dub (and so is Valkyre Drive). Never thought AA would get a dub, and with Monica Rial voicing Kirin.

Lay-duce has really been a disappointment of a studio. As an offshoot of BONES legacy, the expectation is there that some continuation of the culture of animation production would continue, like it does in Kinema Citrus. Unfortunately despite being founded by an ex-BONES producer and being able to draw from the same talent pool BONES does, the works thus far quite honestly suck. That Sinbad spinoff for Magi was just a sin, and bad to boot. Sad!

The perfect continuation of the BONES legacy, in other words?

Jex

Sounds like Prisma Illya.

What am I, some kind of creeper? We all know that show has been banned in multiple countries!
This strikes me as overly harsh. Without elevating GO to something great, things actually moved most of the time and there's plenty of fairly well done effects animation bits. It's at least a step up from plain bad stillfests which I dare say can justify the "decent" moniker.
This sounds like at attack of low standards caused by watching too much TV anime. Thins actually moving a bit and there being occasionally nice flourishes of FX animation doesn't make the animation 'good'. There's no award just for participating, especially when it comes to animating action.

I've been going through the previous AOTY threads and decided to watch Gekkan Shoujo and Tsuritama. I hope they're as good as the voters think!

At first i've chosen animes that I thought I would like, and Haikyu has somewhat reinforced that 'never judge a book by its cover' sort of thing.

Qurupeke

I've been going through the previous AOTY threads and decided to watch Gekkan Shoujo and Tsuritama. I hope they're as good as the voters think!

At first i've chosen animes that I thought I would like, and Haikyu has somewhat reinforced that 'never judge a book by its cover' sort of thing.

I voted for Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and I would totally vote for it again if I could. Such a fun show.

Tsuritama was an absolutely wonderful show. Just such a pleasant viewing experience.

Szadek

Code Geass R2 09

I'm no Bobby Fisher, but I smell bullshit.
You would be correct. That is an illegal move.
That didn't stop people from coming up with excuses (other than that people from Japan don't understand chess).
Not a big deal really. Anime keep breaking the rules of physic, so who cares about the rules of chess?

Blast of Tempest up to 17

Ok this love things is super funny. It makes everyone insane in this show, I love it.

This show is still going strong.

Also could the tree of genesis be
a reference to jormangad(or however it's written)? The serpent that circled around the earth. Since they talked about Yggdrasil and serpents.

blurr

Kuromukuro 15-16

I love the new OP but it invokes something about the show that I hadn't given thought about and it has been lingering since the beginning. There's a sense of enticing emotion I generally find in action anime which riles me up, it's usually in the form of empathy towards a character or their motivation. Gon is a village boy with immense potential on a quest to become a Hunter hunter, Luffy is an up and coming pirate with child-like charisma set to get the One Piece - there's an emotional weight that is either built immediately or over the course of a few episodes which I don't find in Ken. He on the other hand is man of a different time and as things seem to unfold, a different world. Luffy and Gon are from a different universe entirely but they have a semblance of reality to their life, Ken on the other hand is an enigma to the modern eye and in some ways even narrative wise given his obscure past.

It's a trait of the shonen and it probably comes at the cost of consistency and groundedness which is what the show does well. I don't get this feeling from Kuromukuro, it's not that it's a bad thing but there's moments like the OP or the way the battles go about that has me think this way only to find it lacking. Why am I rooting for Ken? not that I empathize with him but because I just don't like how the Efidolg behave, it's a distrust as a human. Kuromukuro's protagonist is humanity or at least modern day Japan as much as Ken, if not more.

ibyea

Banned
His backstory and how that affects him psychologically is perhaps the best part of the show (besides the excellent music throughout). The way it seriously engages with major problems in Japan's present working culture took me off guard for what on the surface seems like an escapist romcom.

Yeah, it was pretty good. Also, got to thank you for your occasional recommendations and comments I have seen from you for this show as I would have never returned back to the show without them.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You guys are just bitter old men full of regret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom