• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Receivers, HDMI & PS4 Pro 4k / HDR

ElNino

Many people are connecting their consoles on the TV then used a HDMI ARC option or optical to the receiver, isn't it better to put the consoles on your 4KHDR compatible receiver then using HDMI out ARC to output everything on the TV? I'm confused...
Yes, ideally you should be going through the AVR before the TV. This is the (only?) way to get lossless audio and I've found the audio sync to be a bigger problem if going through the TV first.

Lads,
does anyone have the Denon AVR-X2400H?

Since i created this thread i didn't actually update my AV Receiver do to a redundancy.

Things are good again so i'm in the market for a new one and considering this.

Any thoughts?

Yukstin

Many people are connecting their consoles on the TV then used a HDMI ARC option or optical to the receiver, isn't it better to put the consoles on your 4KHDR compatible receiver then using HDMI out ARC to output everything on the TV? I'm confused...

Absolutely, in theory. I always upgrade both my AV receiver and TV at the same time so I can ensure compatibility with all the latest HDMI, 4K, HDR trends etc.

But I know some people that only upgrade one device at a time. If your receiver is more than a few years old then it won't always pass 4K or HDR. You'll have to direct connect to your TV and then use ARC/Optical to pass the audio back.

Yukstin

I love Yamaha receivers so I'might thinking of buying the Yamaha Aventage CX-A5100.

Good grief that's a beefy receiver. That seems pretty expensive for what it does vs. going down to their A1070 or A2070 Aventage receivers.

I guess my question is, what are you going to use it for?

Also the A5100 looks like a 2016 model, the A1070 and A2070 are 2017 models that support Dolby Vision and HLG, they are more future proof.

I have the A1060 (2016 model) and it's great.

CuNi

Having my eyes on a Onkyo TX-NR656 for a long time now.. still hesitant to get it or not.

Anyone having one or knows of any stories?

ElNino

Absolutely, in theory. I always upgrade both my AV receiver and TV at the same time so I can ensure compatibility with all the latest HDMI, 4K, HDR trends etc.

But I know some people that only upgrade one device at a time. If your receiver is more than a few years old then it won't always pass 4K or HDR. You'll have to direct connect to your TV and then use ARC/Optical to pass the audio back.
True, not everyone will (or can) update all components at the same time so there will often be times where some components have more current specs. I went through the same thing when all of the consoles went HDMI, as my AVR only had two HDMI inputs so I bought a new AVR to handle everything.

Now, with a 4K TV purchase I did the same thing and upgraded again so that I could pass through 4K HDR and still process the audio in the AVR. I suspect that is why most UHD Blu-ray players have dual HDMI out ports, one for video (direct to the TV) and the other for audio (to the AVR). In fact, I'm splitting the audio/video outputs from my LG UHD even though my AVR can pass through 4K HDR as I have different settings on my TV for the PS4/XB1 than I do for movies so I have them going to different TV inputs.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Recently got a Sony Bravia X930E, looking at getting the STR-DN1080 to go with it. Should be a good combo, I think? It supports Atmos and all that, and is getting updated with Dolby Vision support (as is the TV). Also looking at Denon, but I kind of reeeally want Chromecast built in so I can stream from Google Play Music (as well as any other audio apps I use, such as Pocket Casts) without having to turn on the TV. Denon only supports Spotify and Apple stuff I think. I use neither. I do have a Chromecast Audio, but would rather not bother with it anymore.

I have the Onkyo TX-NR646. It is 4k and HDR compatible and it supports HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. It also has Dolby Atmos and DTS-X support. I really like Onkyo, they make really good receivers.

Yes the Onkyo TX models are good and are current-spec proof for the forseeable future. If you bought a 4k receiver >2 years ago, that's not necessarily the case.

Zoe

I got a 646 instead of the 656 because it was considerably cheaper and the difference between the two wasn't significant enough for me.

Yukstin

In fact, I'm splitting the audio/video outputs from my LG UHD even though my AVR can pass through 4K HDR as I have different settings on my TV for the PS4/XB1 than I do for movies so I have them going to different TV inputs.

I didn't even think of that reason but it makes sense. I try to keep my TV on just one picture setting for all around viewing. My TV will switch between SDR and HDR picture modes automatically.

Fox1304

Got a Yamaha A2070 through insurance claim (Up from a Pioneer VSX1130, so that's quite lovely), and spent some time wondering why I couldn't get 4K nor HDR form my main HDMI.
Turned out that it was the Zone2 setting (to mimic Main HDMI) that prevented it.
Put the Zone 2 in autonomous and everything worked perfectly.

Good grief that's a beefy receiver. That seems pretty expensive for what it does vs. going down to their A1070 or A2070 Aventage receivers.

I guess my question is, what are you going to use it for?

Also the A5100 looks like a 2016 model, the A1070 and A2070 are 2017 models that support Dolby Vision and HLG, they are more future proof.

I have the A1060 (2016 model) and it's great.

I just looked at the A2070 and they are about identical but it's 9.2 instead of 11. I use my AV for everything. Gaming,movies, music, TV etc etc.

deadlast

I love Yamaha receivers so I'might thinking of buying the Yamaha Aventage CX-A5100.

Costco has a Yamaha TSR-5830 for 390.... I don't need a 7.2 setup for my area, so I skipped it.

Based on my room setup, I need a 3.1 or a 3.2 setup. I don't have a 4K output or source, so I am not sure what I should get. GAF, what do you think I should do?

A.Romero

Having my eyes on a Onkyo TX-NR656 for a long time now.. still hesitant to get it or not.

I picked up this one last December and gave been happy. Haven't had the chance to try 4k/hdr, though.

Bought one around a month ago, really happy with it, handles HDR and 4k on the PS4 like a champ.

Now I didnt run any professional grade lag tests or anything but I havent noticed anything so far.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Denon AVR-X2300W a good option? It’s £349 at the moment and importantly for me has twin hdmi outputs for my TV and projector. If I can sell my Yamaha 767 it might make the cost to change low enough. So far I have all my 4K sources connected direct to the TV, limiting me to DD5.1 via ARC

Alternative would be to maybe wait for HDMI 2.1.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I got a 646 instead of the 656 because it was considerably cheaper and the difference between the two wasn't significant enough for me.

What were the differences? 646 has twin outputs which is good for me, and I don’t plan on using 7.1 or Atmos anytime soon.

Zoe

What were the differences? 646 has twin outputs which is good for me, and I don’t plan on using 7.1 or Atmos anytime soon.

Mainly Chromecast and Tidal integration from the looks of it. 4K upscaling too? I'm fine with a standalone Chromecast.

My setup isn't high-end at all, just 5.1 with speakers in the ceiling. I just needed the zone 2 for replicating to the patio.

NYR

Alternative would be to maybe wait for HDMI 2.1.
Don't bother. By the time you need something that will use 2.1 efficiently it will be 5 years and time for an upgrade. Denon's newest 2017-2018 models are just coming out now, the 4400 is coming out next week and it doesn't have 2.1, you'll need to wait till next summer or 2019.

Don't bother. By the time you need something that will use 2.1 efficiently it will be 5 years and time for an upgrade. Denon's newest 2017-2018 models are just coming out now, the 4400 is coming out next week and it doesn't have 2.1, you'll need to wait till next summer or 2019.
Speaking of which I'm planning on getting the Denon AVR-X4300H Can get it for £799 here in the UK. With Dolby Atmos 9.2 it'll be great for films (7.1.2 or 5.1.4 or even 7.1.4 with another external amp). And HEOS for wireless music in any room.

So I currently have a Yamaha htr2067 with the default speakers (Yamaha NS P20) so I'm thinking about upgrade it. My idea is to first upgrade the speakers then in future buy a new TV and a new hdr compatible receiver. Does it make sense to buy the front speakers first and then the rear ones? What is a good pair of midrange speakers?

I'd expect closer to 2 to 3 years before you'll have devices that utilizes 2.1 rather than 5. Plus do people really upgrade their receiver that frequently? Five years seems awfully short for a receiver.

III-V

Cry for me, GAF, I think my AVR just went out.

Its a Denon IN-COMMAND X1300W, so I should have a 3 year warranty, I am at just over a year, but no Denon USA customer service on Sunday.

Symptom: No Audio or Video, although the unit is responsive to all button inputs, etc, LCD indicator completely functional

Troubleshooting attempted:

I have tried multiple inputs, multiple sources, multiple cables. Also completed a soft and hard AVR reset (initialization).

After initialization, the LCD reads: Setup - Use TV.

Any other ideas?

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.

I got one refurbished back in June, but I ended up returning it because it was giving me the NG:CLRBLBR error and would not boot up. Then after rebooting it back up from diagnostics mode, there was a loud pop with smoke rising from the unit (the crazy thing about this though is that after I promptly unplugged the receiver and waited a bit before restarting it again, it somehow fucking worked). However, after that, whenever I would start up the unit, there would always be a loud pop, this time from one of the speakers, followed by a sustained hum. This was likely a hardware error for this single channel. After that, I returned it to the ebay seller and got refunded. I'll still probably end up buying one again, but this time, it'll definitely be new.

Evenin' receiver GAF. I'm an old fashioned stereo guy, who's very close to buying a house. When I move, I'm considering making the jump to 5.1, likely with a Denon receiver (I've really enjoyed my previous two stereo amps, both Denon).

Ideally, I would like to buy a relatively inexpensive set of 5.1 speakers/sub for watching movies and gaming, but I would like to keep my Dali Zensors for listening to music via streaming or turntable (buying matching Dali gear for a full surround set is quite pricey, and not money i'm willing to spend at the time of a house move that's already draining the savings).

So my question is - can I set up a (7.1) receiver to switch between two speaker sets - a 5.1 set up and a stereo set up with all of the speakers connected directly to the receiver? Or will the receiver always try to use all of the speakers at the same time?

I hope this makes sense and apologies in advance for my lack of surround sound experience...

The tweeter in one of my KEFs died. I hope it wasn't my Denon S920W that took it out on its own.

I'm gonna watch this thing like a hawk now that I've got some old Heresys hooked up to it.

I'm hoping KEF will replace the driver (I did disassemble it and check the driver with a multimeter to confirm).

Fingers crossed.

Z_Y

Evenin' receiver GAF. I'm an old fashioned stereo guy, who's very close to buying a house. When I move, I'm considering making the jump to 5.1, likely with a Denon receiver (I've really enjoyed my previous two stereo amps, both Denon).

Ideally, I would like to buy a relatively inexpensive set of 5.1 speakers/sub for watching movies and gaming, but I would like to keep my Dali Zensors for listening to music via streaming or turntable (buying matching Dali gear for a full surround set is quite pricey, and not money i'm willing to spend at the time of a house move that's already draining the savings).

So my question is - can I set up a (7.1) receiver to switch between two speaker sets - a 5.1 set up and a stereo set up with all of the speakers connected directly to the receiver? Or will the receiver always try to use all of the speakers at the same time?

I hope this makes sense and apologies in advance for my lack of surround sound experience...

I have a x2100w and just placed an order for an x3300w. I'm a Denon fan too. HDR forced my upgrade, otherwise I was completely happy.

You have two options, I think. There are other options of course, such as speaker selectors and external amps...but this will get the job done with no other purchases necessary. You could use your existing DZs as your fronts and add a couple surrounds, center and sub. When you run the Denon in stereo it will only output to the DZs. Your surrounds won't be active. It's 2.1 though so the sub will be.

Or you could have a dedicated 5.1 system and run your DZs off of Zone2. Your 5.1 system being Zone1. It's a button press on the remote to select which zone is active and from which input. 1/2 or both.

Hope that helps.

I have a x2100w and just placed an order for an x3300w. I'm a Denon fan too. HDR forced my upgrade, otherwise I was completely happy.

You have two options, I think. There are other options of course, such as speaker selectors and external amps...but this will get the job done with no other purchases necessary. You could use your existing DZs as your fronts and add a couple surrounds, center and sub. When you run the Denon in stereo it will only output to the DZs. Your surrounds won't be active. It's 2.1 though so the sub will be.

Or you could have a dedicated 5.1 system and run your DZs off of Zone2. Your 5.1 system being Zone1. It's a button press on the remote to select which zone is active and from which input. 1/2 or both.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, the advice is really appreciated.

The second option sounds ideal. I've been looking at this receiver (there's a cheaper model but it loses the Airplay which is essential for me) with these speakers for the 5.1 duties (inexpensive and small footprint).

It appears that the Denon has 'multi zone' so this could be exactly what i'm looking for.

Thanks again!

Z_Y

Thanks, the advice is really appreciated.

The second option sounds ideal. I've been looking at this receiver (there's a cheaper model but it loses the Airplay which is essential for me) with these speakers for the 5.1 duties (inexpensive and small footprint).

It appears that the Denon has 'multi zone' so this could be exactly what i'm looking for.

Thanks again!

The x2300w is the newer version of the x2100w that I have. It's a great AVR. Congrats! And you're welcome!

NYR

Denon is slowly rolling out firmware updates to the 2015 and 2016 models to include Dolby Vision and HLG, really impressive.

My 4300 still doesn't have it, just checked, but is coming in the September/October timeframe.

Denon will issue / issued a firmware update to additionally support Dolby Vision and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) HDR pass-through for:

AVR-X1200W, AVR-X2200W, AVR-X3200W, AVR-X4200W, AVR-X6200W, AVR-X7200WA* (scheduled for 2018)

AVR-X1300W, AVR-X2300W, AVR-X3300W, AVR-X4300H, AVR-X6300H (scheduled for September / October 2017)

The brand new x400H models will support it out of the box.

http://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4723/~/hdr-format-compatibility

Is Dolby Atmos still worth the extra $ if I only have a center , two front speakers and bass set up?

There is no way for my living space to accompany surround speakers unless some major accommodations are made in my living room.

NYR

Is Dolby Atmos still worth the extra $ if I only have a center , two front speakers and bass set up?

There is no way for my living space to accompany surround speakers unless some major accommodations are made in my living room.
With that set up, no.

Buying one with Atmos is all about future proofing, but if you have no intention of using it ever, don't get it, no different than getting a bike rack installed on your car when you will never own a bike.

With that set up, no.

Buying one with Atmos is all about future proofing, but if you have no intention of using it ever, don't get it, no different than getting a bike rack installed on your car when you will never own a bike.

Sounds about right but let me ask one more thing: are there compatible headsets that may serve as an alternative (i play with headsets on at night so i dont wake up the family)?

You need at least a 5.1 setup before upgrading to Atmos, and then to actually take advantage of Atmos you need to add the at least 2 height speakers. So you would need to add a minimum of 4 speakers to your setup to even use Atmos.

Sounds about right but let me ask one more thing: are there compatible headsets that may serve as an alternative (i play with headsets on at night so i dont wake up the family)?

There are Dolby Atmos headsets, but I don't know if they are just a marketing gimmick or what. I personally always thouht 7.1 surround headphones were a gimmick. I am pretty sure when you use headphones the game or soundcard "virtualizes" the sound so that even a stereo headphone gets the effect of surround sound. So the full 7.1 surround or Atmos sound is processed and presented for stereo headphones. I think in 7.1 or Atmos headphones, the headphone is doing its own processing... not sure that offers any real improvement.

I have never tested, but I have heard from others that Stereo headphones are better, and to let the game do the mixing/virtualization and just output the correct signal to your headphones. When fancy surround headphones get involved there is more possibility of the extra processing reducing sound quality or accuracy. I prefer just to get a quality set of headphones, and not spend the money on "gamer gear". This isn't to say that all gaming headsets are bad, because there are good ones for sure, but you may be able to get higher quality headphones for the same money by avoiding headsets. Of course that does have the added inconvenience of not including a microphone. Then you need to add on a mic, like a ModMic or something.

ZOONAMI

If you use optical you will miss out on lossless audio.

I doubt very much that in blind sound tests there would any real trend of being able to determine lossless pcm 5.1 vs Bitstream dts 5.1.

I have run 4k Blu-ray both set ups with my system and I absolutely can't tell.

do modern receivers not transmit audio to bluetooth headphones as an option? I can't seem to find much info on this. would love to use headphones as main audio output source for everything in my entertainment stand. i'm assuming the cheapest way to do this is to get a bluetooth transmitter?

PaulLFC

My Denon updated for Dolby Vision & HLG too, awesome.

Am I right in thinking though that if my TV (Sony XD8008, UK version of the X800D) doesn't update to support them also, I won't be able to make use of these features?

III-V

My Denon updated for Dolby Vision & HLG too, awesome.

Am I right in thinking though that if my TV (Sony XD8008, UK version of the X800D) doesn't update to support them also, I won't be able to make use of these features?

correct.

You need at least a 5.1 setup before upgrading to Atmos, and then to actually take advantage of Atmos you need to add the at least 2 height speakers. So you would need to add a minimum of 4 speakers to your setup to even use Atmos.

There are Dolby Atmos headsets, but I don't know if they are just a marketing gimmick or what. I personally always thouht 7.1 surround headphones were a gimmick. I am pretty sure when you use headphones the game or soundcard "virtualizes" the sound so that even a stereo headphone gets the effect of surround sound. So the full 7.1 surround or Atmos sound is processed and presented for stereo headphones. I think in 7.1 or Atmos headphones, the headphone is doing its own processing... not sure that offers any real improvement.

I have never tested, but I have heard from others that Stereo headphones are better, and to let the game do the mixing/virtualization and just output the correct signal to your headphones. When fancy surround headphones get involved there is more possibility of the extra processing reducing sound quality or accuracy. I prefer just to get a quality set of headphones, and not spend the money on "gamer gear". This isn't to say that all gaming headsets are bad, because there are good ones for sure, but you may be able to get higher quality headphones for the same money by avoiding headsets. Of course that does have the added inconvenience of not including a microphone. Then you need to add on a mic, like a ModMic or something.

That's great information. Thank you for taking the time to spell it out.

B-Ri

Just got my PS4 Pro and it was quite a problem to get everything to work without concessions. I have the STR-DN850 Sony AV receiver that outputs 4k but doesn't support HDR. My tv is the Vizio M60-D1 that does HDR and 4K but only on HDMI 1, which is also the ARC port.

I ended up having to plug the PS4 into the secondary 4K hdmi port on the TV, and losing LPCM for Dobly so that it could pass through the TV into the receiver via ARC.

So I gained 4k but lost LPCM for Dolby and can't HDR in any way with the receiver needing the ARC port.

EDIT: in theory, since I'm already stuck on Dolby 5.1, could I connect the receiver to Optical then give the PS4 pro the HDR HDMI and that way I would gain the HDR but be stuck on optical until I upgrade?

Just got my PS4 Pro and it was quite a problem to get everything to work without concessions. I have the STR-DN850 Sony AV receiver that outputs 4k but doesn't support HDR. My tv is the Vizio M60-D1 that does HDR and 4K but only on HDMI 1, which is also the ARC port.

I ended up having to plug the PS4 into the secondary 4K hdmi port on the TV, and losing LPCM for Dobly so that it could pass through the TV into the receiver via ARC.

So I gained 4k but lost LPCM for Dolby and can't HDR in any way with the receiver needing the ARC port.

EDIT: in theory, since I'm already stuck on Dolby 5.1, could I connect the receiver to Optical then give the PS4 pro the HDR HDMI and that way I would gain the HDR but be stuck on optical until I upgrade?

Yes.

Splashed out on some new gear. Had a Denon X2200W that was great for 4K@60fps and HDR and it did do Dolby Atmos, but only in 5.1.2. So I decided to get a new a/v and new speakers. Part exchanged the X2200W for a Marantz SR6011 which boasts 7.1.2 Atmos or 7.1.4 with a separate stereo amp (and two subwoofer outputs) and Dolby Vision compatability. Bought a pair of Elac Debut A4 Atmos speakers. They fire up to the ceiling and can be used front or back (I have them at the front). They can be wall mounted but I don't think I'll be doing that.
Also got a set of Kef Q500 front speakers, Q600 centre speaker and a pair of Q100's for the rear. The bundle also included the Kef Kube Subwoofer. I already own a pair of Mordaunt Short for the rear surround. They look great and sound excellent, superior in every way to the mish-mash of speakers I was using before. The Audyssey calibration option is very useful and made the whole set up easy.
Now the only issue I had was HDMI CEC. It didn't seem to work with the Marantz and would instead turn on my Samsung UHD Blu-ray player when the Marantz was switched on. So that's off for now.
PS4Pro and my PC all play nicely. UHD movies sound great. GotG2 sounded brilliant. I also play SACD and 5.1 music (usually Blu-ray but also DVD) and it all sounds spectacular. Some adjustments maybe needed for the subwoofer as I like a slightly more pronounced LFE.
All in all expensive (nearly £2000) but has really made a big difference in my enjoyment of gaming, music and movies.

Top Bottom