• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Receivers, HDMI & PS4 Pro 4k / HDR

LilJoka

FUUUUUUCK!!, i didnt even think of this!!!

So in order to get the full experience of the PS4 PRO your going to need a......

PS4 Pro
4K HDR compatable TV
4K HDR compatable A/V AMP

this setup along would probably cost £1200 at the least........a PC setup would be cheaper!!!

LG 55" B6 OLED £3000
Yamaha MusicCast RX-A3060 £2000

:D But my PC would be connected to the same!

I picked up a 2015 Denon X4200W on clearance earlier this year. If you can still find the Denon 2015 models, they fully support HDMI 2.0, 4K + HDR, and Dolby Atmos + DTS:X and they are much cheaper than the 2016 models which have only minor changes none of which have to do with the HDMI support.

The higher end Denons all upscale to 4K/60 too if you aren't letting your TV do it, and most higher end 4K TVs have very good upscalers so you should let your TV do it most of the time.

Kinda off topic but had there been any talk about PS4 Pro supporting Bluetooth headphones? Does the PS4 currently or you just plug them into the controller to watch Netflix etc.

Shane89

So in order to get the full experience of the PS4 PRO your going to need a......

PS4 Pro
4K HDR compatable TV

this setup along would probably cost £1200 at the least........a PC setup would be cheaper!!!

you still get 1080p with higher quality / fps.

and no, a pc setup would not be cheaper because you need a GTX 1080 which cost alone at least 300$ more than a PS4, and you still need a CPU/RAM etc and still need 4k / hdr tv and a/v amp.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

PS4 Pro
4K HDR compatable TV

You'll need those last two with a PC too..

Hmm, could you use a 4K splitter between the PS4 pro and the receiver - so your 4K TV gets the picture and your receiver just takes the LPCM or bit streamed HD audio? Or would you still need HDCP2.2 for that anyway?

You'll need those last two with a PC too..

Hmm, could you use a 4K splitter between the PS4 pro and the receiver - so your 4K TV gets the picture and your receiver just takes the LPCM or bit streamed HD audio? Or would you still need HDCP2.2 for that anyway?

You cannot use a splitter to output to destinations with different HDMI versions unless you want the source to only output at the lowest HDMI version between the destinations.

Back in the early days of HDMI 2.0, I was looking for sources with 2x HDMI which could send video over one output and audio over the other, like my Sony S790 Blu-ray player.

However since then I just got tired of how pain in the ass this workaround was and just bought a damn HDMI 2.0 receiver. Life has been amazing after this, it's so much easier than looking for video cards with 2x HDMI, and of course consoles with 2x HDMI do not exist.

Rodin

Sure. By the way if you pick it up make sure you read page 66 of the manual. The receiver has two 4K modes, mode 1 and mode 2. It's in mode 2 by default but mode 2 doesn't support 4:4:4 or 4:2:2, only mode 1 does. Put it in mode 1 otherwise things will look washed out and you'll get what looks like black crush when those 4k signals are passed. I figured this out because my Samsung 4k UHD player looked less than stellar when the receiver was on mode 1 for 4k media.

Thanks again for the heads up, i'll remember to do that.

Grassy

I bought this one, the Marantz SR6010 and its wonderful, works very well with my PS4/Xbox One S/PC/4K HDR TV etc... if you can afford it, go for it.

Nice. This thread reminded me I've had my Marantz SR5003 for 8 years now, and even though it's still a fantastic receiver, I'm going to have to replace it in the next few years.

gdt

Man, I did not think of this at all. So now that's a 65in 4K tv and a receiver. This fall is gonna be expensive haha.

Also need that 1080ti soon as it drops for 4K 60fps

I was thinking of doing this. I didn't feel like updating my Onkyo 709 receiver cause it still works. But I've always heard of handshake/syncing issues when using ARC. And the constant turning off and on of components to get it working again. I rather not have to go through this. Has anyone used this method with success most of the time?

My Onkyo passes audio through my tv via ARC when devices are connected directly to the TV instead of the receiver. However while ARC does pass the audio through, it only passes audio in stereo for some reason and never true 5.1 when connected like this. It's because most tvs doesn't have Dolby digital or dts codecs built in. But it's ok for non 5.1 stuff I guess.

Can I keep my current speakers and just swap them with a new 4K receiver? I have a older Onkyo bundle the ONKYO HT-S5405B 5.1

I want to get the new Onkyo receiver recommended in this thread for PS4 Pro (the TX-NR646) but keep my existing speakers. Would this work?

HDR is still pretty new and not many allow HDR passthrough at the moment. Basic receivers can cost around £300-£400 (in the UK at least) so not super cheap but cheap when compared to higher end ones, which can cost upto £2000 or more. Also they sometimes keep newer features to higher end models.

Hopefully HDR becomes normal on all receivers soon and isn't restricted to higher end receivers at the beginning but might be worth waiting a little while at the moment to see what HDR support is like.

So would this Denon do the basic job well?

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/homecinema/avreceiver/avrx520bt

Karak

Putty

Sorry I friggen fell asleep lol.
Ya it was cost versus offerings on that one. It was just too costly for what it offered which to me has been something Danon seems to do occasionally in their offerings.

Yep. On 3 of those 5 inputs its HDR. They like to get fancy with their wording.

Lol,ok mate ta.

Check Sony STR-DN1070. It has dual outputs and 6 HDMI inputs and all of them are 4K/HDR/HDCP2.2 compatible. I have one of these and I'm rather happy with my purchase. No Atmos support though, although my setup and my flat would not support this anyway.

I have a 5.1 set-up, fairly good speakers, but that is pushing it in terms of my flat and neighbors can deal with.

Is Atmos where there is 4 speakers on the roof and 2 subs?

I'm really partial to Yamaha gear and I've been eyeing the RX-V681 to replace my older 675. I'll probably wait until Scorpio though. I have a PS4 Pro on preorder, but I'm thinking I'll stay 1080 until both are out.

BHK3

Banned
My receiver that I bought last year said it was 4K compliant, but because of this hdcp nonsense, I essentially bought garbage right? It's the Onkyo NR-535. I never saw any mention of hdcp when I was shopping around because I wanted to get speakers and it said it can do 4K/60hz on every hdmi input it has...

This 4k stuff really became more expensive then it needed to be really quickly. It was just a tv but now I need another receiver and what am I supposed to do with the one I have right now?

My receiver that I bought last year said it was 4K compliant, but because of this hdcp nonsense, I essentially bought garbage right? It's the Onkyo NR-535. I never saw any mention of hdcp when I was shopping around because I wanted to get speakers and it said it can do 4K/60hz on every hdmi input it has...

This 4k stuff really became more expensive then it needed to be really quickly. It was just a tv but now I need another receiver and what am I supposed to do with the one I have right now?

HDCP 2.2 only matters with 4K movie playback (disc or streaming). It doesn't affect games

Bennettt2

hi guys, does anyone know a reasonably priced speakers/receiver deal if i'm just going witha standard PS4 and standard HDTV? Do I need to worry about HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2, etc.?
thx

phant0m

Man I made all the wrong choices last year:

Vizio M60-C3, which doesn't support HDR.
Yamaha RX-V677, which doesn't support HDCP 2.2

FML

I was using a Yamaha RX-A2040 but that didn't pass HDR so I upgraded to a Pioneer Elite SC-97 because they went on sale for about $1200 which was a good price. Overall it had some nice features, solid build but I found the HDMI handshake to be iffy when trying to pass 10bit 4k 4:2:0 and 4:4:4. Though from all of what I found it may have just been my unit because lots of users didn't have that problem. i would definitely recommend it if you get one that doesn't have any issues with it.

I personally returned it though I picked up an Anthem MRX 1120.
http://www.anthemav.com/products-current/series=mrx-series-gen3/model=mrx-1120/page=overview

Just depends on your budget really.

I have a pioneer elite vsx45 got for $250 last fall. Just wanted to add it to the list that it supports 4K/60p, hdcp 2.2, and hdmi 2.0a for HDR. It got an update a month or two ago.

It's fully compatible with Xbox One S (I have one). However it only does up to Dolby truehd or Dts HD, no atmos but that doesn't matter to me since I can't use an atmos setup in my living room.

III-V

PS4 Pro
4K HDR compatable TV

You do not need an AV receiver for PS4P...

I've never actually owned an AV receiver, so I have a question. When buying a receiver, you still need to buy the speakers separately, right?

Yes. You will have to buy all of the speakers(2 fronts, 1 center, 2 rears for full 5.1 or even 2 more rears if you go 7.1), unless you get a Home Theater in the Box which in all honesty, I wouldn't recommend because purchasing a separate receiver and buying your own speakers will always sound much better about 99.93% of the time.

PS4 Pro
4K HDR compatable TV

Well, you only need an AV Receiver if you want full surround sound. It definitely adds to the experience, but it is not mandatory.

Can I use my old Onkyo speakers with any brand of 4K receivers? I will be getting a 4K receiver but what if my my speakers won't work with it? Like the connections might be different or something? They are just leads that clip into the back of a receiver. Why isn't this more of a question I'll never know. No one seems to know the answer.

I want to keep the speakers from my ONKYO HT-S5405B 5.1 but not sure if they'll work with any receiver?

LilJoka

Can I use my old Onkyo speakers with any brand of 4K receivers? I will be getting a 4K receiver but what if my my speakers won't work with it? Like the connections might be different or something? They are just leads that clip into the back of a receiver. Why isn't this more of a question I'll never know. No one seems to know the answer.

I want to keep the speakers from my ONKYO HT-S5405B 5.1 but not sure if they'll work with any receiver?

Most receivers will take banana plugs or bare wires on binding posts.
So yes they will work on any receiver.

Karak

Yep

One thing you should consider when purchasing a receiver for an hdr tv is whether it will have all of the necessary inputs which a lot of the newer tvs do not have. For example, my Samsung KS8000 only has HDMI and coaxial inputs, so if I want to connect my NES or even my Wii to the television, it has to go through the receiver. The Vizio P-series supports composite input, but not work at 240p, so only newer consoles (Saturn and up) will work on it without a receiver. I know for a fact the NES does not work on the Vizio.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR555. 7.2 Surround (I only use 5.1) and it converts analog inputs to HDMI. It can also upscale to 4k, but I turn that feature off as it can cause input lag. There is no noticeable input lag for the simple analog-HDMI conversion.

Thanks for clearing that up. In terms of sound quality is it the receiver that makes the most difference or the speakers?

I'll be using my current speakers http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/ht-s5405-43101.html?tab=Details

with a new 4K receiver. Can you guys recommend a nice 4K HDR receiver to go with these speakers? Looking to spend between £500-£800 on a receiver (if it improves the sound quality further with my existing speakers)

If not I'll settle with a cheaper £300 4K receiver. Like the Onkyo TX-NR646.....I really don't want to mess with my current speakers as its a fiddle to wire up new ones/ speaker stands etc and tbh I'm happy with the way they sound

Is there any tangible audio benefits to banana plugs other then it being easier to plug in? The receiver I'm considering does it the old way.

Frostman

I have the Onkyo TX-NR646. It is 4k and HDR compatible and it supports HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. It also has Dolby Atmos and DTS-X support. I really like Onkyo, they make really good receivers.

Does this receiver add any input lag at all or no? Just wondering because I am looking to invest in a new receiver, just wondering which to go for.

Niccolo

I did exactly this with my old Onkyo speakers and they work perfectly.

I've just noticed my current speakers have naked wires connected to the back of my Onkyo receiver where they clip into place. Pic of the back of my receiver below.

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/assets/1/4/6/0/7/HT-R548_Rear_R640x320.png

Looking at the back of the newer TX-NR646 4K Onkyo it seems to have a different connection type altogether. How would my current speakers connect to this?

http://www.onkyousa.com/imagesNew/receiver/tx-nr646/back_large.jpg
Yeah, it will work. How those connectors work is you unscrew them a bit, slide the wire underneath and then screw them back in.

Does this receiver add any input lag at all or no? Just wondering because I am looking to invest in a new receiver, just wondering which to go for.
I have the TX-NR555. No noticeable input lag, even with converting analog sources such as composite to HDMI. Just be sure the receiver's 4k up scaling is turned off in the options.

LilJoka

Is there any tangible audio benefits to banana plugs other then it being easier to plug in? The receiver I'm considering does it the old way.

Nope, it only adds resistance to the chain albeit insignificant.

Better speakers demand better amplifiers. At some point the amplifier quality will saturate the speakers potential. So depending on where you are now, a new amp can/can't make a difference. I don't expect any gain using the onkyo all in one kit speakers though.
B&W speakers are some that demand a much better AVR and Amp to stretch their legs.

wowzors

For anyone here who doesn't want to buy a new receiver you could look into getting an oppo when they release their new model.

Its going to be like $700 but if you have a high end receiver and don't want to replace it it might be worth it.

The oppo has a HDMI in and two out, so one out can go to tv for video and the other to the receiver for audio. Can plug the console into the HDMI in.

This isn't for everyone just any audio/videophiles in here.

Edit: the old oppo 103 adds a lot of Input lag so maybe this route wouldn't work the best.

How is the Onkyo NR656 compared to last year's 646?
I cant find the 646 anywhere in the UK was thinking of just getting this year's model instead (the 656)

With 4K, a lot of people are in your situation when it comes to the receiver. It's HDMI in all over again.

I just picked up a Yamaha Aventage 3060 for my home theater. Can't wait to hook it up in a month when we move in.

sviri

If a receiver supports "HDR", does that mean that it supports all flavors of it? I keep hearing about HDR10, HDR12, Dolbyvision etc.

With 4K, a lot of people are in your situation when it comes to the receiver. It's HDMI in all over again.

I just picked up a Yamaha Aventage 3060 for my home theater. Can't wait to hook it up in a month when we move in.

I almost went with the 3060 as well. Love Yamaha's sound and regardless of what people say YPAO is actually really good just as good as Audyssey and much better than Pioneer MCACC pro. I'm not a huge fan of DSP's but Yamaha does it right, better than anyone else.

The smaller footprint, built in 11 power amps, and ARC swayed me to go with the Anthem.

Top Bottom