• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche (Just Cause) - Wii U dev kits collecting dust, Nintendo is hard to reach

JoeM86

I really don´t get how the Wii U can be this unpopular..

Because it's Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't do a "me too" thing often, nor focus solely upon power, seemingly foolishly thinking that it's games that matter, not tech and so the western companies and journalists seem to not like them and/or want them gone

Why on earth would they buy a dev kit without knowing if they would develop for the system?

That's pretty dumb.

Not really. If a publisher turns around to them and signs them on a multi-platform project that requires Wii U, they can say they're ready for it. Another string to their bow.
Because it's Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't do a "me too" thing often, nor focus solely upon power, seemingly foolishly thinking that it's games that matter, not tech and so the western companies and journalists seem to not like them and/or want them gone
Was he not referring to the sales figures?

Also the whole low-power console thing is a purely a business-minded decision. Wii was low-power to accommodate a lower price point and waggle-tech. There was merit in that, as it actually offered completely new gaming experiences. However, Wii U is low-power to accommodate the expense of a touch-screen controller. I won't say anything about the merit of that move.

Not really. If a publisher turns around to them and signs them on a multi-platform project that requires Wii U, they can say they're ready for it. Another string to their bow.

But the only preparation is getting a dev kit. Who knows if they're cheaper later in the lifecycle.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Nintendo probably sent dev kits to a lot of devs

Really?

Is it common practice among hardware manufacturers to send free kits?

I thought a lot of the PS3's early "hate" was a little overblown, but man all of the recent Wii U news makes me completely forget about it all & I don't even own one. Feel bad really.

From the google translate article it sounds like they may have had a port in mind, but no publisher wants to work with wii u. They have to pitch their games to publisher and if they really couldn't find a publisher for a port things may be even more disastrous than we thought.

I'm not sure whether you will see studios like this one not developing on PS4 or Nextbox when their install base will be a few millions after the launch.

Already confirmed working on a next gen exclusive and cross gen game

Mario007

I think the Wii U dev kits must be gathering dust at Nintendo as well judging by the number of first party games they've released. Meanwhile the 3DS continues to rule with its non-stop barrage of great titles. Nintendo sure knows where its priorities are.
It's almost as bad being a Nintendo console fan as it is being a Sony handheld fan.

Petrae

Devkits collect dusts ? Then make games ? Install base is too small ? How big is PS4/Xbox 3 install base please ?

Given sales trends for PS3 and X360 blew away Wii for each of the last two years, it makes sense to bet on the stronger horses-- especially if the theme that Wii U is underpowered compared to the competition is accurate. Third-party publishers are all-in on new Sony & MS platforms, as well.

There's a level of trust, and a certain amount of risk, in the decision to support PS4 and the next Xbox. Conversely, those who avoided Wii U development are justified at this point, six months in, as unit sales are super-low and don't look to move much until mid-Q3 at the earliest.

I think they will easily sell the system to existing Nintendo fans with the Zelda, Mario, Mario kart, smash bros cycle, but I have yet to see anything that will push wii u sales to a wider audience.

I don't think they have to. A few years ago, it would have be intensely disappointing for the Wii's successor to follow in the Gamecube's footsteps, but at this point, I think they'll be relatively happy with a modestly profitable console that can tick along for the generation, while they decide on the strategy for its successor.

flattie

This stands out to me as the worst problem, especially with Nintendo's reputation with third parties.

Agreed. Communication is ridculously important. If it's not simple and quick then things which could easily happen just don't happen at all.

Although to be fair, numerous indie devs have made a point of saying how Nintendo have really improved since the Wii days. I'm still not hearing the same enthusiasm as there is for Sony's all out charm offensive on the entire indie dev scene, though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

For a company who thinks that games matter there sure aren't a lot of them.

i-Lo

I've seldom read posts so full of shit.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
In before CPU is to bla..

CPU probably the issue then. There will be plenty of exciting physics action going on, judging by their last two games.
Nevermind.

Satchel

Banned
Clearly Avalanche is boycotting them for not using Origin as there's no other possible explanation.

Yeah I dont get it either.

Trollish comments from developers just irk me.

Its not like the cost of development would be high, and early periods with smaller install bases generally give a good game a higher chance of a good attach rate.

Halo was attached to around a third of all Xbox consoles. WiiU owners (like myself), don't have an aversion to great games.

Make one guys, we'll buy it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
At least they have dev kits they can put to use if the system ever recovers. I find it weird that people condemn the Wii U daily. Like, what did you think would happen since the last time? Biases above all I guess. Some of them even think Vita is doing good. Yes, things are bad for Wii U (not for Nintendo as a whole). No, they couldn't do something about it yesterday, today or tomorrow. Let's see what happens when they actually release what they have to release (which has been little because of development issues we were recently made aware of, as if we couldn't have guessed it, shit happens in development folks) and if sales will pick up enough as a result to make some third parties interested in reaching out to that audience (or changing their tune to only Nintendo games sell again). That's all they really can do, release games (and I guess fix the OS already) and a collaboration here and there, which they do. Yes, of course it's their fault they yet haven't released much. No, they aren't being arrogant or not serious enough about it, they've spent, are spending and are losing millions. Throwing more of those millions wouldn't necessarily yield better results, have the games develop faster or better, etc. Saying the same shit every day is neither valid nor is it constructive criticism to claim they're not doing shit because if they were they could have had any random studio that pops up in the news like this onboard. They couldn't. It's all about having a promising install base. That doesn't happen overnight. It didn't happen overnight for the 3DS but they're getting there, obviously. Clearly they want to do the same thing for the Wii U, by releasing games that sell, which they haven't been able to do for real reasons, obviously their own reasons you can blame them for, but not because you can pretend Nintendo is a person that happens to be arrogant, lazy, unwilling to be serious about it or whatever else some people are spewing every chance they get. Let's raise the conversation bar.

I'm not sure about it, but I certainly hope that Nintendo tries to get more devs to develop by sending dev kits to a lot of devs

Well if Nintendo is giving away free kits then Avalanche shouldn't be complaining about reaching out.

It's a common practice if you aren't the smallest indie dev in the world.

Still doesn't make sense to incur an unnecessary expense.

Not a smart business move on Avalanche's part.

I know most people will think about Just Cause 3 but I bet a port of The Hunter would be cool. You could put the in game GPS on the gamepad. I always wanted to give the game a shot but never got around to it

Its a shame they won't be working on the Wii U

grafica3.jpg

That decision would be made at a Square Enix/Eidos level for a new Just Cause (or Sega for Renegade Ops)... it wouldn't be Avalanche's decision as to whether they'd port that to the Wii U or not.
It's not unprecedented for a developer to act on their own initiative and use a small demo/vertical slice to pitch to a publisher.
I dunno. A ton of indie developers have said that Nintendo's been quite helpful with them, but you never know.
Independent developers might have different needs than a AAA developer.

Drencrom

Lol @ people blaming the devs for not making games for the thing. They got their reasons, otherwise they would actually put out games on the platform.

That comment about devkits collecting dust was a new one

Really?

Is it common practice among hardware manufacturers to send free kits?

When the console is bombing, apparently yes (see; Vita, Wii U)

Its not like the cost of development would be high, and early periods with smaller install bases generally give a good game a higher chance of a good attach rate.

Halo was attached to around a third of all Xbox consoles. WiiU owners (like myself), don't have an aversion to great games.

They say in the article its not their decision meaning they got a dev kit planning on doing a port (probably of their cross gen game) and a publisher said no.

web01

Do you guys think Nintendo is beginning to "get it"?

Do you think their execs are beginning to think, you know, it looks like we really messed up not making it more powerful? Or no? Are they still thinking just "well stay the course we will still succeed, only software can save us", etc?

Say "more powerful" isn't the issue, but it IS the issue why next gen ports are already widely considered by third parties as PS4/Durango, and not PS4/Durango/Wii U...

No they clearly don't get it.

Also people in this thread trying to make out technical specs are not an issue are complete clowns.
The reason there is such a lack of interest in the WiiU among the hardcore is definitely in part because weak power and other issues including poor online infrastructure, lack of up scaling Wii games to HD, hardware technical issues such as freezing and much more. The console was clearly rushed to market unfinished to make the holiday period. The mess of an OS is still getting fixed.

You need the hardcore to support your console in the launch window / early years and create hype but they have mostly abandoned Nintendo because most sensible people do not want to risk getting burned again after the Wii.

Nintendo biggest fuck up was ignoring what the market wants and instead betting the WiiU tablet as being another huge success that would bring back in the casual audience on the back of the high popularity in tablet gaming.

There is currently no reason for the average consumer to buy a WiiU over 360 / PS3 / Wii and things are also going to get alot worse once Nextbox and Ps4 hit the market.

Schnozberry

I'm have no reason to assume this isn't true, but we've heard Nintendo has been very communicative from other people. Perhaps if Avalanche showed some interest in making a game for Wii U, Nintendo would reach out to them?

Mario007

Monster Hunter, NFS, Zombie U?

Effect

I have a hard time believing this to be true when the exact oppositie is said by everyone else when asked what communication is like with Nintendo.

I have a hard time believing this to be true when the exact oppositie is said by everyone else when asked what communication is like with Nintendo.

Who?

B-b-but install base is zero...!

It seems like that was the excuse publishers gave when the truth it seems is that they think wii u is doomed and want nothing to do with it

1-D_FTW

Then Just Cause 3 is announced for PS360.

And even if that's the case, so what? It's one thing to downport to another console you're already familiar with, has already been exposed to your branding, and has 50+ million user base. The WiiU has none of that. It requires a lot of work to get up to speed, will need special attention to account for the CPU, and as ZombieU prooved, it may not even matter if you do everything right.

This industry is one big self-fulfilling prophecy, like Bioshock Infinite with less murder.

Blame WiiU owners. What developer is going to look at sales of games like ZombieU and think any differently? The system is too different from an architecture POV (ie work and expenses) to get token sales for your efforts.

Cronq

Banned
Wii U doom thread of the day?

Maybe today we only have this one....let's see....

No way. It's way too early. There are still several dozen more development studios that have yet to shit on Nintendo.

These devs and publishers seem to be very invested in the failure of Nintendo. If Nintendo ever manages to turn it around these guys will have some mending to do.

All eggs in the PS4 basket!

Taker666

Return the devs kits to Nintendo then.

A shame to see them being wasted on a company with no intention of supporting them when there are plenty of Indies who'd jump at the chance of a free kit.

Given sales trends for PS3 and X360 blew away Wii for each of the last two years, it makes sense to bet on the stronger horses-- especially if the theme that Wii U is underpowered compared to the competition is accurate. Third-party publishers are all-in on new Sony & MS platforms, as well.

There's a level of trust, and a certain amount of risk, in the decision to support PS4 and the next Xbox. Conversely, those who avoided Wii U development are justified at this point, six months in, as unit sales are super-low and don't look to move much until mid-Q3 at the earliest.

Also Sony and most likely Microsoft have been courting all of these developers and bringing them into the fold in helping to shape their next console. Whereas the Wii U sounds like it was made in Japan with barely any feedback from 3rd party developers. So it is entirely reasonable to understand why 3rd parties are more attracted to Sony and Microsoft, because they have made hardware tailor made for them and have been kept in the loop the entire time.

JoeM86

Come on guys, there is always a prejudice against Nintendo. If they made an ultra powerful console, sold it for $99 and offered you a puppy with every purchase, developers would still not get on board.

You cannot say that there isn't an anti-Nintendo feeling in the western game-development world

Sendou

I'm wondering how come criterion had no problem get in contact with Nintendo but these guys do.

Criterion is based in the UK. Nintendo at least tried to have presence there. Nintendo just doesn't happen to really care about the particular area of the world where Avalanche is based. Many positive comments coming from devs are from areas where Nintendo has traditionally had strong presence.

The Boat

That's interesting, most devs have been saying Nintendo has been vert easy to deal with, perhaps this is not true for European devs?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I am a Nintendo Fan, even I haven't jumped on the Wii U bandwagon, the 3DS is keeping me in Nintendo magic for now.. there is nothing I really want for the Wii U, therefor I am not getting one, unless they do a 3DS style year of awesome I cannot see the Wii U picking up any momentum at all..

Nintendo are far from doomed they just haven't caught lightening in a bottle like they did with the Wii.

most devs are moving onto newer shiner things

Top Bottom